Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Dont drink mate:rolleyes:,but you can have one if you like.

Using rolleyes in every post makes you look like a cunt.

Just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Mod

Stick to the topic, any more off topic posts or flaming will result in bans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

I don't see a major problem with this or why the pub had a problem. Its Guinness that were doing the promotion not the pub so the pub wasn't losing out on anything they would still get reimbursed for the pints by Guinness.

You'll find that the coupons where one per customer, Diageo are not going to send out vouchers that will allow people get out of it for free, that would be a claim waiting to happen, the lad was a relative of the publican, he threw him out cause he was a stingy b*stard and didn't like him.

Diageo are a pain to deal with over these promotions, it can take months to get money out of them, sometimes longer and they string publicans along alot. I know, 'smallest violins for the poor publicans' but its still a pain in the hole.

Diageo won't reimburse for either sale price or retail price, they pay 'the average price of a pint in ROI' which is €3.90 if I remember correctly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

ProudDUB wrote: »
    The Brother goes to bar and orders rounds #4 & 5. I was shocked by his generosity by getting in back to back rounds. He drinks faster than us, so he also got in a lone pint for himself here and there as we wimmin progressed thru our glasses of wine & bacardis. It should be noted that his wife never put her hand in her pocket all night long. It was just me and the brother ordering and paying, but everyone was drinking. We all left around 11ish. Bid farewell by the staff. No bill or check presented as we left, so I just presumed that the brother had either charged what he ordered to his room, or had paid for it in cash.

Went back down to the bar about an hour later to get some ice. Was asked to sign a tab for the ENTIRE nights drinking being charged to MY fcuking room. Turned out the first time the brother went to the bar to order a round, he was asked if it was it go on the same room (mine) as the first round that was ordered. He says yes.

Your brother is nothing more than a thieving scumbag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

Using rolleyes in every post makes you look like a cunt.

Just saying.

And being one gets you banned:rolleyes:JUST SAYING

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Mod

Stick to the topic, any more off topic posts or flaming will result in bans.
    And being one gets you banned:rolleyes:JUST SAYING

banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭seawolf145

I've just noticed the tags at the bottom of this thread.

"Scots", "Scottish" :pac:

'Cavan people' though - am I missing something here? Are folk from Cavan well-known tightwads?

Also, Dutch people are renowned for being tighter than a bad chest - and if it is your birthday in Holland, the boy/girl in question is expected to provide the food and drink. The Dutch also spend far less on Christmas than any other nation in Europe.

That said, Norwegians are the world's worst tippers, according to one survey. They seem to escape the tightwad tag, but any one of them I've known was a round-dodging, sleekit, miserable f*cker.

And what about the Irish?They would never do anything wrong offcourse.
    A bit much stereotyping here or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

erm...cavan people are irish?

retalivity wrote: »

Really but Dutch and Norwegians are they Irish??
    Think we need to get off our high horse here for a minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

seawolf145 wrote: »
    And what about the Irish?They would never do anything wrong offcourse.
    A bit much stereotyping here or what?

I find there's always a grain of truth in most stereotypes.

Ballymena folk, for instance, have a certain reputation for thrift in NI.

But let's not take it TOO seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭le la rat

Stop ruining a good thread picking arguements

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

retalivity wrote: »

not according to Bertie ahern.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBFsCo5dzdM

do you regard people who refuse to tip in a restaurant as stingy? I usually leave a euro or two if happy with the service.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Was in Aldi today with loads of coins and a twenty note. All the coins when counted came to 3c short of the amount due. The cashier blankly refused to take my twenty note.
    I expect him to post here shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

snubbleste wrote: »
    Was in Aldi today with loads of coins and a twenty note. All the coins when counted came to 3c short of the amount due. The cashier blankly refused to take my twenty note.

So the cashier did you a favour? :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Millicent wrote: »
    I stole money from Aldi. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Stinge of the year award:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

if there till is not what it should be when counting it comes out of their pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

You stole 3 cent, you master thief you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Head straight to el paso, Mexico, ask for juan, tell him I sent you, everything's going to be fine

I find there's always a grain of truth in most stereotypes.

Ballymena folk, for instance, have a certain reputation for thrift in NI.

But let's not take it TOO seriously.

Well maybe you dont take it seriously mate,but i do,being a Norwegian in Ireland.
    But all Irish are not alcoholics either are they???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

seawolf145 wrote: »
    Well maybe you dont take it seriously mate,but i do,being a Norwegian in Ireland.
    But all Irish are not alcoholics either are they???

I was quoting a survey as well as my personal experience.

Sorry if you're offended as I'm sure you're not a tightwad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

At least it's not lidl :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Fuinseog wrote: »
    Was in Aldi today with loads of coins and a twenty note. All the coins when counted came to 3c short of the amount due. The cashier blankly refused to take my twenty note. I expect him to post here shortly.
    if there till is not what it should be when counting it comes out of their pocket.
    No. It doesn't. The odd bolloking from manager aside a short till costs nothing. What kind of slave labour jobs did you ever do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

No. It doesn't. The odd bolloking from manager aside a short till costs nothing. What kind of slave labour jobs did you ever do!
    Pretty sure in Dunnes it comes out of their pocket after the first time.

I was quoting a survey as well as my personal experience.

Sorry if you're offended as I'm sure you're not a tightwad.

Hey no worries mate,no offence taken.:D
    I have come across tightwads as you say in Norway as well,but also the opposite,and the same in Ireland.
    My father in law is a cavan man,,need i say more.
    Sorry to hear about your experience,though,,i wish i could buy you a pint to make up for it.;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

If that's policy, I presume they give the employee any over in the till also.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    Head straight to el paso, Mexico, ask for juan, tell him I sent you, everything's going to be fine

El Paso is in Texas.... Martyn is a Narc!!!

Gave my brother a few bottles before that I had lying around because he was broke and had no money for drink but his GF was coming over to hang out, he then asks me for the key to my room to watch netflix as I have the Xbox there to keep it safe, I usually would say no because I was going away for the weekend but was feeling trusting. I get back and all my drink is gone, 2 boxes of Bulmers, and a large bottle of Vodka.

To make it worse, I specifically told him not to take the drink and he didn't even try to clean up after himself, I found 3 day old pizza in my room and crumbs on my bed.

My brother is stingy, a thief and a cnut.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Mate of mine (who has a reputation for being a bit of a tightwad) gave me a goodish sized cheque for a wedding present - problem was he "forgot" to sign it. They missus wouldn't let me tell him. To make matters worse he got married before me and I got him a decent enough present.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

An employer isn't legally allow to touch your wages, even though they are the ones paying them. They are legally yours and any docking of wages like that is illegal. Solicitors letter tends to sort most of them out.

I've had that a couple of times before, employers putting in imaginary "fines" to dock your wages. I told one of them to pay up or he'll get a solicitors letter, he gave me the sack so I succesfully sued him for just over €1000 for wrongful dismissal on top of getting my money back. Stingey bastid, his sons were just as bad and managed to drive the company to the wall about 6 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

bijapos wrote: »
    An employer isn't legally allow to touch your wages, even though they are the ones paying them. They are legally yours and any docking of wages like that is illegal. Solicitors letter tends to sort most of them out.

I've had that a couple of times before, employers putting in imaginary "fines" to dock your wages. I told one of them to pay up or he'll get a solicitors letter, he gave me the sack so I succesfully sued him for just over €1000 for wrongful dismissal on top of getting my money back. Stingey bastid, his sons were just as bad and managed to drive the company to the wall about 6 years ago.

Dunnes do not make you pay till unders, they do give you warnings though. You start to be highlighted at €2. Plenty of small shops WILL make employees pay- convenience stores and the like. Pubs too. It's very easy if the place doesn't do contracts or isn't heavily unionised.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement