Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I thought I'd seen it all, 'till today. I went into the local recycling centre with a car load of stuff. (€4 per car as opposed to €3 per bag to have it collected. I'm stingy too). I saw a bloke in his 60s , very well dressed with a prominent golf club logo on his jumper and a top of the range 2011 5 series BMW. I was unloading my newspapers a few feet away from him when I heard glass breaking. I looked around and saw he had dropped a corn flake box on the ground. Out of the box came two light bulbs a broken glass and three see-through chinese take away cartons packed tight with a load of food waste. He threw four more taped up boxes into the cardboard skip. Hopped into the beemer, drove past the pay kiosk and away.

There's a four lettered word beginning with C to describe that man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

sligojoek wrote: »
    I thought I'd seen it all, 'till today. I went into the local recycling centre with a car load of stuff. (€4 per car as opposed to €3 per bag to have it collected. I'm stingy too). I saw a bloke in his 60s , very well dressed with a prominent golf club logo on his jumper and a top of the range 2011 5 series BMW. I was unloading my newspapers a few feet away from him when I heard glass breaking. I looked around and saw he had dropped a corn flake box on the ground. Out of the box came two light bulbs a broken glass and three see-through chinese take away cartons packed tight with a load of food waste. He threw four more taped up boxes into the cardboard skip. Hopped into the beemer, drove past the pay kiosk and away.

Cute?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Cute?

Carp I think he means ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

did you report him to the guy at the kiosk?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Remmy wrote: »
    Carp I think he means ;)

Maybe even cool.

• Advertisement

thought of a few more examples of tight people i have experienced.
    was out 1 night with a few m8s, then these 3 brothers 1 of the lads knew joined us, 3 very tight guys, they were buying rounds between themselves, 1st brother buys 3 cokes, then they had finished and the 2nd guy was so tight they were standing there with empty glasses for about an hour until they forced him to buy a round, i watched him to see what he would do, he grabbed a bottle of miwadi off the pub counter and 3 glasses, went into the jacks and came out with 3 miwadis, he diluted the miwadi from the taps in the toilets of the pub.

another time i was in a local garage and the mechanic was dealing with a guy who had got a punchure, he wasnt a local, the mechanic had towed his brand new bmw to the garage and fixed the punchure, then says that will be 5 euro (this was on 2011) the guy says "what 5 euro?thats a bit steep"

next two stories are about the same guy, hes so tight that when hes out with his girlfriend of 8 years they buy their drinks seperately like he goes up buys 1 for himself then she does the same.
    also about 3 years ago he gave female friend of his 12 euro to buy jewllery for his girlfriend for xmas, she got him a bracelet then he says have you any change from the 12 euro?? hes not short of money either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,305 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

thought of a few more examples of tight people i have experienced.
    was out 1 night with a few m8s, then these 3 brothers 1 of the lads knew joined us, 3 very tight guys, they were buying rounds between themselves, 1st brother buys 3 cokes, then they had finished and the 2nd guy was so tight they were standing there with empty glasses for about an hour until they forced him to buy a round, i watched him to see what he would do, he grabbed a bottle of miwadi off the pub counter and 3 glasses, went into the jacks and came out with 3 miwadis, he diluted the miwadi from the taps in the toilets of the pub.

another time i was in a local garage and the mechanic was dealing with a guy who had got a punchure, he wasnt a local, the mechanic had towed his brand new bmw to the garage and fixed the punchure, then says that will be 5 euro (this was on 2011) the guy says "what 5 euro?thats a bit steep"

next two stories are about the same guy, hes so tight that when hes out with his girlfriend of 8 years they buy their drinks seperately like he goes up buys 1 for himself then she does the same.
    also about 3 years ago he gave female friend of his 12 euro to buy jewllery for his girlfriend for xmas, she got him a bracelet then he says have you any change from the 12 euro?? hes not short of money either.

I have a strong suspicion I know who these 3 brothers are...what part of the country are they from?

retalivity wrote: »
    I have a strong suspicion I know who these 3 brothers are...what part of the country are they from?

roscommon

ok...i dont then, its 3 other stingy brothers from further north than that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

retalivity wrote: »
    ok...i dont then, its 3 other stingy brothers from further north than that!

Cavan or Monaghan?

• Advertisement

donegal

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

I know a 24 year old guy in a job on 40k a year(seen jobs on the net same as his with company), living with his parents and driving a 95 Micra, really scruffy as he won't buy new clothes and gets hair cut twice a year. We ask him to go for a pint and he says no, I'm broke. He's a really nice bloke. Came down to the pub last weekend and we were taking the piss, unlike you to be spending money. He said he found 20 euro at the back of his couch, only reason he's down. Whole pub just burst out laughing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

areyawell wrote: »
    I know a 24 year old guy in a job on 40k a year(seen jobs on the net same as his with company), living with his parents and driving a 95 Micra, really scruffy as he won't buy new clothes and gets hair cut twice a year. We ask him to go for a pint and he says no, I'm broke. He's a really nice bloke. Came down to the pub last weekend and we were taking the piss, unlike you to be spending money. He said he found 20 euro at the back of his couch, only reason he's down. Whole pub just burst out laughing

Another case of someone stringing a few dodgy assumptions together and then thinking they know the ins and outs of an acquaintances finances.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

My brother in law went on holidays recently, got his father to drop them down to the airport to save on parking fees for the week (makes sense), had to bring his car for the car seats for the kids, he asked his father for the petrol money cause he was using his car. He also tried to sell his old lawn mower to his father for €200, the yoke is years old and doesn't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

Clareman wrote: »
    My brother in law went on holidays recently, got his father to drop them down to the airport to save on parking fees for the week (makes sense), had to bring his car for the car seats for the kids, he asked his father for the petrol money cause he was using his car. He also tried to sell his old lawn mower to his father for €200, the yoke is years old and doesn't work.

Stingy or just a bit of a Cnut ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Light Switch

Reloc8 wrote: »

A C''nt.

Look at all his father would have done for him in his childhood, I'm presuming the father is a decent lad because he took him to the airport.

To turn around and treat him like **** is just being a c''nt, No other word for it.

If that was me, I'd fill up the tank and tell him enjoy the car for the week. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Reloc8 wrote: »

What Light Switch said :)

He's 1 of these people that thinks everything is his and he can take whatever he wants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

rednik wrote: »
    In work one day I saw a bloke reusing a tea bag. I thought it was a one off until somebody told me he does this every day.:eek:

I'm going to have to do that today. I have only one teabag left in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

did you report him to the guy at the kiosk?

No. There was nobody there at the time. There rarely is. People usually slip the money under the glass partition. If he'd known that he'd probably helped himself to a few quid as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

galwayrush wrote: »
    Once in a restaurant, 4 people at a table near us, three of them leave a tip at the table on leaving, last person at the table pockets tip without the rest noticing.

But if no-one noticed, how did you know he/she poceketed the tip?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Apanachi wrote: »
    But if no-one noticed, how did you know he/she poceketed the tip?

Maybe galwayrush was the last to leave:eek::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

^^^^
    He wasn't part of the group of 4! He witnessed the last person from a group of people pocket the money and failed to say anything!! tut tut bad karma!

hypermuse wrote: »
    ^^^^
    He wasn't part of the group of 4! He witnessed the last person from a group of people pocket the money and failed to say anything!! tut tut bad karma!
    Erm..
    ...yeah, right, I missed that bit...

..my bad ;)

NADA wrote: »
    Also in Germany you get 15c for every bottle you bring back to the shop. I dont do this as I've too many bottles and its a bit heavy to walk all the way to the supermarket. I jsut recyle them free in the bottle back across the road. One time I got home from a party at about 3am on a friday morning and our chinese friend was outside with a putting superglue on a tree branch taking bottles out of the recyling bin. not sure if this is stingy or a good idea?

Varies between 8 and 25 cent/bottle depending on the bottle, you very often see people rummaging through the street bins in Germany looking for "Leergut" (empty bottles)

OK I get it when I see homeless people doing it, there are a lot of people who throw away their empty bottles rather that lug them to the next shop to get their deposit back so 4 empty plastic bottles = 1€, but when I see business type looking men (the ones with expensive suits and shoes) rummaging in the street bins, well that always baffles me...

Apanachi wrote: »
    Varies between 8 and 25 cent/bottle depending on the bottle, you very often see people rummaging through the street bins in Germany looking for "Leergut" (empty bottles)

OK I get it when I see homeless people doing it, there are a lot of people who throw away their empty bottles rather that lug them to the next shop to get their deposit back so 4 empty plastic bottles = 1€, but when I see business type looking men (the ones with expensive suits and shoes) rummaging in the street bins, well that always baffles me...

it baffles me too but some people never have enough money, look at sean Quinn. a guy i know (a multi millionaire) is known to buy a newspaper in the morning reads it then returns it in the evening and says oh my wife bought the same paper and tries to get a refund.look at those old people who have thousands under their matresses but yet have no inside toilet or warm running water because they are so afraid to spend a penny, its a disease and the worse trait to have in my opinion.

No. There was nobody there at the time. There rarely is. People usually slip the money under the glass partition. If he'd known that he'd probably helped himself to a few quid as well.

ha ya he probably would, theres a fine line between being tight and stealing things i have found. pity there wasnt someone there to report him 2, you should ring the people in charge and tell them what happened, im sure they have cameras so his number plate will be visable hopefully, id find it hard to report someone who has no money but a guy in a 2011 bmw is just a selfish tight user who needs to be fined.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,580 ✭✭✭veryangryman

ha ya he probably would, theres a fine line between being tight and stealing things i have found. pity there wasnt someone there to report him 2, you should ring the people in charge and tell them what happened, im sure they have cameras so his number plate will be visable hopefully, id find it hard to report someone who has no money but a guy in a 2011 bmw is just a selfish tight user who needs to be fined.
    Am I the only one who thinks those cars are expensive and you won't have much spare cash to feck about with upon ownership

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭gronemeyer

Drinking in a bar in Manila with a group of people from a hostel I was staying in, the beer was around 26c a bottle and buying 10 bottle buckets which worked out even cheaper around €2.

Anyway everytime we'd order, the person buying would give the barman a tip of a €1 or more a small fortune over there as a lot of people of people on even less that that a day.

One Austrian geezer when it was his turn paid his drinks with exact change! His reasoning the bar 'had awful interpersonal skills'.

The stingy ****er took a volley of abuse before storming off. We gave the barman his 2 beers to drink with us :D

Am I the only one who thinks those cars are expensive and you won't have much spare cash to feck about with upon ownership

thats like saying anyone who has a 2012 ferarri wouldnt have any spare cash after buying it.how many 2011 bmw owners do you know who are poor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

Drying teabags on a radiator

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement