Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

I'm not 'expecting' anything.

However, when I'm laying on good hospitality in my house I don't think two or three cans of beer or half a bottle of wine is too much to expect. So, let's just call it a 'token' if you like. I wouldn't dream of doing the same when a guest in someone's house.

I'm actually shocked people find this normal behaviour. Then again I'm clearly underestimating the number of selfish, ill-mannered tightwads out there.

+1

If I go to a party in someone's house the rule of thumb that I always went by was:
    Bring what you would normally drink for yourself and then drink for "the house" ie if you drink six beers, bring twelve.

Just common social decency imho

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Smidge wrote: »
    +1

If I go to a party in someone's house the rule of thumb that I always went by was:
    Bring what you would normally drink for yourself and then drink for "the house" ie if you drink six beers, bring twelve.

Just common social decency imho

I wouldn't bring double just a case thats a few bottles more than I could drink alone. Eg. If I'll drink 5 cans, bring an 8 pack... I'm not going to bother buying 2 individual cans just to make it even.

I wouldn't bring double just a case thats a few bottles more than I could drink alone. Eg. If I'll drink 5 cans, bring an 8 pack... I'm not going to bother buying 2 individual cans just to make it even.

But you wouldn't bring home the 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Incidentally, I'm not referring to scavenging students getting in a strop over cans of pishy Dutch Gold at a house-wrecking here.

I'm talking about mature adults and social graces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

some guests steal when visiting friends houses so I guess it all balances itself out if you do leave your bottle of wine behind when leaving

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I knew a family that would brush their teeth like this

the dad brushes his teeth then spits the toothpaste out into a cup and then the next one dips their brush in it and so forth

3 kids in that family

That's foul.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

But you wouldn't bring home the 3?

Maybe, if they were sitting there at the end of the night and looked like they weren't getting drunk.
    I wouldn't put the lid on a bottle of wine with 1 glass left in it and take that home to put in the fridge though!

some guests steal when visiting friends houses so I guess it all balances itself out if you do leave your bottle of wine behind when leaving

This happened to me once when having a party in my house.
    My neighbour stole(and I mean stole)a litre bottle of unopened vodka.:eek:
    Saw them doing it(very badly concealed under coat)having drank their fill on me all night.
    Never said anything about it to them but it certainly marked their cards with me.

This happened to me once when having a party in my house.
    My neighbour stole(and I mean stole)a litre bottle of unopened vodka.:eek:
    Saw them doing it(very badly concealed under coat)having drank their fill on me all night.
    Never said anything about it to them but it certainly marked their cards with me.

You invite people into your house to enjoy themselves and how do they repay you? Schlepping off furtively like fcuking thieves in the night.

Jesus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

What is this 'left-over' drink you all speak of? That's never happened me before.

• Advertisement

You invite people into your house to enjoy themselves and how do they repay you? Schlepping off furtively like fcuking thieves in the night.

Jesus!

Honest to God that's true:D

Their babysitter had to home at 12 so they left to let her go home but obviously didn't want THEIR party to stop:rolleyes:

BTW these were not kids, both in their 30's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

I'm not 'expecting' anything.

However, when I'm laying on good hospitality in my house I don't think two or three cans of beer or half a bottle of wine is too much to expect. So, let's just call it a 'token' if you like. I wouldn't dream of doing the same when a guest in someone's house.

I'm actually shocked people find this normal behaviour. Then again I'm clearly underestimating the number of selfish, ill-mannered tightwads out there.

As he clarified, this is not a dinner party or what. Pre-drinks or regular beering while watching a match etc. I would not expect people to leave beer, in my place, just because we used my home to get our beer on

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

paultronix wrote: »
    We used to hang out with this girl who was so tight, one nite about 10 of us in a round,everyone buys a round and when it comes to her she stays sitting, we said "it's your round" she replies.. "I never agreed to be in rounds' wtf.. you accepted and drank all the drinks that were bought all night... we kept at her and eventually she threw 10e on the counter and stormed off... the rounds were about 40e each!

another friend brings a bottle of wine but if she doesn't finish it she takes it home next day.

An aunt invited herself and her kids to stay with my sister, she brought loads of sweets, their fav cereal ect and kept them in her room so my sister or her kids couldnt have any.:mad:

There's a fair chance it was sh1te wine anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

areyawell wrote: »
    That's slightly different, it becomes stingy when you're carrying it across town or in a taxi after a houseparty.

Its not stingy at all, its there alcohol which they paid for and maybe they want to polish it off or have it for the cure the next morning. I bring Fifa over to a friends house when he has a house party and bring it home with me or collect it the next day. Is that stingy or should I let him keep it?
    Sounds like a ****e house party

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Complete opposite to stinginess . Maybe it deserves its own thread. I got an impromptu invite to a good friday party at lunchtime one good friday . I had a few cans at home for that night and I wanted to spare them. I went into my local shop and asked one of the girls that I knew, if there was any chance of getting a bottle of wine and a few cans on the quiet. Not a chance. It was more than her job was worth. I went home and got the cans and headed off to the party. I left the party about 9 with my original cans and a bottle of red that the lady of the house gave me for my wife.
    Happy days.

When I got home My wife handed me a sealed box that was delivered by the local shop owner. Inside was two bottles of Shiraz and six cans of Stella.
    Two happy days.

I went up on easter monday to pay him and he said, ‘forget about. You’re a good customer.’

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    Sounds like a ****e house party

Nope class in fact, friend is a DJ so proper setup and load of young ones falling around the place so house parties I go to usually class or if I have my own one. Nothing wrong with a few games of Fifa with friends as well is there polluted ya ignorant prick. So what if people take there beer with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Nope class in fact, friend is a DJ so proper setup and load of young ones falling around the place so house parties I go to usually class or if I have my own one. Nothing wrong with a few games of Fifa with friends as well is there polluted ya ignorant prick. So what if people take there beer with them.

...I don't even know what to say...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭RADIUS

You are using the word class very loosely here.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Light Switch

sligojoek wrote: »
    Complete opposite to stinginess . Maybe it deserves its own thread. I got an impromptu invite to a good friday party at lunchtime one good friday . I had a few cans at home for that night and I wanted to spare them. I went into my local shop and asked one of the girls that I knew, if there was any chance of getting a bottle of wine and a few cans on the quiet. Not a chance. It was more than her job was worth. I went home and got the cans and headed off to the party. I left the party about 9 with my original cans and a bottle of red that the lady of the house gave me for my wife.
    Happy days.

When I got home My wife handed me a sealed box that was delivered by the local shop owner. Inside was two bottles of Shiraz and six cans of Stella.
    Two happy days.

I went up on easter monday to pay him and he said, ‘forget about. You’re a good customer.’

Start a nee thread. :)

I get extra chips in my local chipper, sometimes get a free drink or curry too.

Posts deleted

bobin fudge banned

Personally if I've more than one can left over I will sometimes bring it home or else keep a stock of my own beer if its a friends house I go to drink in regularly.

We don't do the "dinner" thing, so it's just beeing in each others houses so don't see why I would leave drink behind. If I was bringing drink especially has gift or thank you etc it would obviously be different.

As he clarified, this is not a dinner party or what. Pre-drinks or regular beering while watching a match etc. I would not expect people to leave beer, in my place, just because we used my home to get our beer on

Well we'll just have to agree to differ there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Personally if I've more than one can left over I will sometimes bring it home or else keep a stock of my own beer if its a friends house I go to drink in regularly.

We don't do the "dinner" thing, so it's just beeing in each others houses so don't see why I would leave drink behind. If I was bringing drink especially has gift or thank you etc it would obviously be different.

any time ive gone to a party i just leave cans there if there are any left. i leave them to 'absorb' into the party

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

sligojoek wrote: »
    Happy days.

Two happy days.

I don't get it.. .

any time ive gone to a party i just leave cans there if there are any left. i leave them to 'absorb' into the party[/QUOTE]

LOL
    Love the idea of the beer being "absorbed" into the party:D

It seems the natural state for beer really, absorption

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭paultronix

What the f*ck are you talking about? She brings the wine over for herself. If she came over for dinner and handed the bottle to the host and says "that's for ye" and took it home, that would be completely unacceptable.

If they go for a booze up in someone's house, sleep there and head of the next morning, I don't see why the host has a right to their alcohol. It's their f*cking stuff!

The way it was described it sounds like the latter.

No she would invite herself, my friend would always have wine in the fridge, she'd drink that (with my friend) then open her own and take home any thats left, same girl would send "call me" texts so she doesn't have to waste her credit!

LOL
    Love the idea of the beer being "absorbed" into the party:D

It seems the natural state for beer really, absorption

I have a mate who used to 'absorb' a mars bar, no matter what your thinking, I'm sure its not what your thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

I don't either, i always bring my beer with me when I leave a house or might call for it the next day. Don't care if they said they drank it or whatever. Thats not at all stingy especially if your a student, its the norm!

You'd call back the next day just to get a few cans?
    That's fu*king stingy in my book.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement