Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭RADIUS

When I used to drink in temple bar of a weekend there was one lad, friend of a friend, who was renowned for his stinginess.

Once my brother hit him up for 2 euro when he needed change for the cigarette dispenser. He got a text off him the next day asking if he could drop that 'few bob' around to his house. My brother just said he would buy him pint next time. The next day he got another text saying that he would be passing by his street and would drop in for that money, which he DID!

My brother made it a point to pay him the 2 euro in a load of copper.

I had a similar experience with this guy as we ended up sharing a taxi home one day. He tried to suggest that because I was getting out first, I should pay what's on the clock up to that point, and he would just pay the euro for being an extra person. He would then pay the difference when he got out. Which would be about 50 cent as he lived around the corner from me. He honestly wanted to get away with paying 1.50 for a cab and me paying over 10.

I just handed the taxi driver half the fare and got out. Even the taxi driver was shocked by this guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

A work colleague using the same tea-bag 3 days in a row

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭cabincrewifly

I borrowed a bike off a neighbour once. He boasted that he brought it home from the dump.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    I have a mate who used to 'absorb' a mars bar, no matter what your thinking, I'm sure its not what your thinking.

Osmosis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I borrowed a bike off a neighbour once. He boasted that he brought it home from the dump.....

who's stingy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    I have a mate who used to 'absorb' a mars bar, no matter what your thinking, I'm sure its not what your thinking.

You're mates with Marianne Faithfull? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Light Switch

Good on him!

If twas working/he could fix it, theirs nothing wrong with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

I've owned a few... reclaimed... bikes, it really is amazing what people throw out, or used to at least, the most valuable bike I ever owned came from a dump, all that needed replacing was the rear tyre, it didn't even need oil.

I don't think my actions in using something someone tried to dump is the outrageous thing there, I think it's more that someone would throw out over 300 euro.

Also, isn't there a company on the northside of Dublin that salvages, refurbishes and then sells on bikes? If it's a business it's hardly stingy...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Not stingy in my eyes as such, but I was at a house party during the college year about 2 years ago, I notice the lad who rents out the place had stacks of argos catalogues almost up the roof. He was using them as briquettes for the fireplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Also, isn't there a company on the northside of Dublin that salvages, refurbishes and then sells on bikes? If it's a business it's hardly stingy...

http://www.rothar.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

I visited a friend in London and went to a theme park 2 hours outside the city with his mates. Upon leaving some Nestle promotions team handed each of us 2 boxes of a new chocolate cereal (mini boxes now). With such a journey ahead of us most of the lads and I went to hand them back but one of the lads said "No, no, i'll take em", and did and then he went back and asked for a few more off the promotions team.

SO there we were getting a taxi to the train station and yer man has a stack of 8 cereal boxes, (no bag or anything). Bare in mind its mid twenties sun, these boxes are cooking in the sun. He takes them on the train then and stacks them overhead. At the station we get up to leave to get the tube and I'm the only one that noticed yer man forgot the boxes, but I didnt say a bit (I know, i'm a bollox) until we were off on the platform and i couldnt get over his inner dilemma on whether to jump back on the train or carry on to the tube. We convince him to leave them as they were only little boxes of cereal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Not stingy in my eyes as such, but I was at a house party during the college year about 2 years ago, I notice the lad who rents out the place had stacks of argos catalogues almost up the roof. He was using them as briquettes for the fireplace.

Were they any good for burning? I thought they'd just leave a sh1tload of ashes

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭RED PASSION

eth0 wrote: »
    Were they any good for burning? I thought they'd just leave a sh1tload of ashes

great for holding a fire

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I've owned a few... reclaimed... bikes, it really is amazing what people throw out, or used to at least, the most valuable bike I ever owned came from a dump, all that needed replacing was the rear tyre, it didn't even need oil.

I don't think my actions in using something someone tried to dump is the outrageous thing there, I think it's more that someone would throw out over 300 euro.

Guy I knew in college took home a bike that had been in the carpark of his workplace for about 6 weeks. Eventually he bumped into someone who recognised the bike as their own. They weren't too bothered about him having it because they'd left it in the carpark and 'couldn't be bothered' to go back and get it. It was a lovely 15 gear trail bike with suspension.

any time ive gone to a party i just leave cans there if there are any left. i leave them to 'absorb' into the party

If you regularly call around to houses for a few cans though before heading out or just to have a few even you will be leaving a lot of beer behind after paying for it.

As I said sometimes I dont bother bringing it, I wouldn't go carrying around 2 or 3 cans with me if I was getting a bus or a train or was going into town from the place I was staying. But if my car was outside I throw them in the boot.

If you brought 24 cans and only drank 8 would you leave all the rest behind?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I took my beer home with me after having a couple in a friend's house last night. I briefly thought of this thread, but then I figured 1) I'm not working so I can't afford to give beer away, especially when 2) I'd splashed out on some Hobgoblin for myself.

If it's a session whether or not I leave beer behind depends on whether or not it's nice beer. If it's a dinner party then I bring wine as a gift, but would leave it at that; generally it's up to the person throwing the dinner party to organise the booze for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

If you brought 24 cans and only drank 8 would you leave all the rest behind?

I can imagine everyone coming over with 4/6 packs, then you arrive, slamming down a full crate on the table for yourself and "only drinking 8".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

ColeTrain wrote: »
    I can imagine everyone coming over with 4/6 packs, then you arrive, slamming down a full crate on the table for yourself and "only drinking 8".

4 6 packs would be 24 no?;)

Its not uncommon for people to pick up slabs of 24 with all the 24 cans for 24 euro offers floating around or 24 bottles offers and if you just buy your drink on the way to the house you are drinking at then you will be arriving with extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

4/6 packs would be a 0.6666666666666666666666666(etc. to infinity) pack. Doubt that'd leave enough left over to worry about :P

• Advertisement

4 or 6 my man, 4 or 6.
    Its not uncommon for people to pick up slabs of 24 with all the 24 cans for 24 euro offers floating around or 24 bottles offers and if you just buy your drink on the way to the house you are drinking at then you will be arriving with extra.

Most would buy just enough for themselves but If you were to bring a crate over to the house for yourself then you're not going to be drinking them all and what will happen is people will ask for a few. A stingy persons worst nightmare.

4 or 6 my man, 4 or 6.

Most would buy just enough for themselves but If you were to bring a crate over to the house for yourself then you're not going to be drinking them all and what will happen is people will ask for a few. A stingy persons worst nightmare.

I don't have stingy friends though so people will have their own drink, but if someone was short a can or two I certainly would have no problem letting them have a few. Its happened and its happened the other way too where I was short and got a a can or two off someone else.

I don't see how 1) bringing extra cans is a problem maybe I will drink 6, maybe 10 who knows and 2) what the problem is in bringing said cans home for using again especially if its a good few. If people equate that with being stingy then I don't know what to say.

I don't have stingy friends though so people will have their own drink, but if someone was short a can or two I certainly would have no problem letting them have a few. Its happened and its happened the other way too where I was short and got a a can or two off someone else.

I don't see how 1) bringing extra cans is a problem maybe I will drink 6, maybe 10 who knows and 2) what the problem is in bringing said cans home for using again especially if its a good few. If people equate that with being stingy then I don't know what to say.

My point is why would you bring over 24 when you know you're not going to be drinking them all, I'd struggle drinking 8 cans in a house, never mind 24.
    Fair enough you said they might be on offer, but I'd rather not shell out an extra tenner for drink I didn't need, everyone is different though.

My point is why would you bring over 24 when you know you're not going to be drinking them all, I'd struggle drinking 8 cans in a house, never mind 24.
    Fair enough you said they might be on offer, but I'd rather not shell out an extra tenner for drink I didn't need, everyone is different though.

Well lets say I reckon I will need 8 cans, I call into Dunnes on the way to a friends house and I see 8 cans for 10 euro, I then see 24 cans of the same beer for 24 euro and I know I will be out again 3 days later and need cans again and maybe a few days after that again why would I pay 6 euro more for 24 cans by buying them in 8's?

Well lets say I reckon I will need 8 cans, I call into Dunnes on the way to a friends house and I see 8 cans for 10 euro, I then see 24 cans of the same beer for 24 euro and I know I will be out again 3 days later and need cans again and maybe a few days after that again why would I pay 6 euro more for 24 cans by buying them in 8's?

Fair enough if you know you're going to be drinking them.

Everyone will see it different. I wouldn't bother buying a crate because I rarely drink more than once a week and even then it might be straight to the pub. Also would get sick of drinking the same stuff.

Fair enough if you know you're going to be drinking them.

Everyone will see it different. I wouldn't bother buying a crate because I rarely drink more than once a week and even then it might be straight to the pub. Also would get sick of drinking the same stuff.

We bought 180 cans before the euros between 3 of us as the offer was good :D

To be honest we spend most of our time in the pub too but we would keep a stock for nights we do have a few or nights we just stay in playing darts etc or watching a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,580 ✭✭✭veryangryman

A week without stinge? Thinly veiled attempt to hear more stingy stories.

I guess a pretty poor one is myself today walking an extra five mins to avoid paying to use the jacks 'on principle'

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

I walked from GMIT to Eyre Square so I didn't have to pay €1.70 for the bus. Bus journey only takes 5 minutes it took me about 25 minutes to walk it. But I managed to save €1.70 :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

There's a new tv show starting next week in America called Extreme Cheapskates; there's a few contenders on this thread I reckon :pac:

http://www.cbsatlanta.com/story/19725587/extreme-cheapskates-woman-doesnt-use-toilet-paper-or-do-laundry

• Advertisement

I walked from GMIT to Eyre Square so I didn't have to pay €1.70 for the bus. Bus journey only takes 5 minutes it took me about 25 minutes to walk it. But I managed to save €1.70 :P

I never understood how some people think walking places is being stingy. I live in Galway and haven't paid for a bus in years. There's nothing more refreshing than walking and most places in Galway are close enough that it only takes a few minutes to get from one place to another.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement