Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I never understood how some people think walking places is being stingy. I live in Galway and haven't paid for a bus in years. There's nothing more refreshing than walking and most places in Galway are close enough that it only takes a few minutes to get from one place to another.

I agree with this. I know people that will spend 1.40 rather than 15 minute into the village :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

its a lot longer than 25 minutes from gmit to eyre square!

retalivity wrote: »
    its a lot longer than 25 minutes from gmit to eyre square!

It really isn't. It's about 10-15 minutes from GMIT main campus to The Huntsman and another 10 from the Huntsman to Eyre Square.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

i remember walking that years ago and it took an hour.
    although, i was going the other way and it was 3 in the morning...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

There's a new tv show starting next week in America called Extreme Cheapskates; there's a few contenders on this thread I reckon :pac:

http://www.cbsatlanta.com/story/19725587/extreme-cheapskates-woman-doesnt-use-toilet-paper-or-do-laundry
    LMAO That show looks class! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

I agree, it is nice to go walk it but it was on Monday or Tuesday and it was freezing cold and I got a head cold because of it, but it was totally worth it. I ended up spending the €1.70 I saved on sweets :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

I agree, it is nice to go walk it but it was on Monday or Tuesday and it was freezing cold and I got a head cold because of it, but it was totally worth it. I ended up spending the €1.70 I saved on sweets :)

You should have bought yourself a hat, for future walks

I don't think walking instead of bussing it is stingy

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭lmao

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    LMAO That show looks class! :pac:

Thanks for the heads-up!! I'll keep an eye out for it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

retalivity wrote: »
    i remember walking that years ago and it took an hour.
    although, i was going the other way and it was 3 in the morning...
    That's the Theory of Relativity out the window.

35 minutes or so is more realistic: http://maps.google.ie/maps?saddr=Forster+Street&daddr=Dublin+Road&hl=en&sll=53.277763,-9.029131&sspn=0.013061,0.042272&geocode=FWLmLAMdEvF1_w%3BFWvyLAMdwH12_w&dirflg=w&mra=mrv&t=m&z=15

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

It really isn't. It's about 10-15 minutes from GMIT main campus to The Huntsman and another 10 from the Huntsman to Eyre Square.

If you can do GMIT main building right up at Ballybane Road to The Huntsman in 10 minutes then you should be in the bloody olympics.

Do you live in Galway or do you ever have to go home for the weekend and carry a bag ?

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I noticed that the hem on my trousers was falling down, so instead of taking them to be hemmed I've stapled them in place, and coloured the staples to match with permanent marker :o

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

kylith wrote: »
    I noticed that the hem on my trousers was falling down, so instead of taking them to be hemmed I've stapled them in place, and coloured the staples to match with permanent marker :o

Bit of Wondaweb is your only man there, all you need is that and an iron ;)

miamee wrote: »
    Bit of Wondaweb is your only man there, all you need is that and an iron ;)
    I've never had much luck with Wondaweb. Maybe I should staple it in place before I iron it.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

I don't know what this falls under, but it's definitely some sort of friendship failing.

I was due to go to a book signing with my friend in Dublin a few weeks back. I'd recently lent her my copy of the author's book to read, which she loved. I was also the one to suggest going to the book signing. Anyway, as it happened I was the other side of the country with the girl I was seeing. As I was returning to the UK the following week, I had wanted to spend as much time as I could with her, which my friend should have understood.

So my friend had been texting me asking me if I was still up for it, but that if I wasn't she had another friend to go with her. So I said "yeah I'll stay on here another night so if you've somebody to go with. Would you mind bringing my copy along to get signed for me?" And she said she would.

Two days later, she announces on Facebook that she got my copy of the book signed by the author.. to her. As in, when the author asked her who to make it out to, she said her own name. She did not purchase her own copy of this book that she said she loves so much. She did not purchase a replacement copy for me at all. She just laughed it off as some sort of mistake. I decided not to be petty as I was leaving the country to go back to college a few days later. And I kind of thought, maybe it was a mistake....

Then I heard off my sister at the weekend, that my friend told her she'd got the copy signed with her name on purpose because I'd "blown her off"....

So I guess the stingy bit is turning up to a book signing without even bothering to buy your own copy of the author's book. And the rest of the story was just a slap in the face to me!

And she still hasn't returned the copy of the book to me!:mad:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

What a b*tch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Butterface wrote: »
    I don't know what this falls under, but it's definitely some sort of friendship failing.

I was due to go to a book signing with my friend in Dublin a few weeks back. I'd recently lent her my copy of the author's book to read, which she loved. I was also the one to suggest going to the book signing. Anyway, as it happened I was the other side of the country with the girl I was seeing. As I was returning to the UK the following week, I had wanted to spend as much time as I could with her, which my friend should have understood.

So my friend had been texting me asking me if I was still up for it, but that if I wasn't she had another friend to go with her. So I said "yeah I'll stay on here another night so if you've somebody to go with. Would you mind bringing my copy along to get signed for me?" And she said she would.

Two days later, she announces on Facebook that she got my copy of the book signed by the author.. to her. As in, when the author asked her who to make it out to, she said her own name. She did not purchase her own copy of this book that she said she loves so much. She did not purchase a replacement copy for me at all. She just laughed it off as some sort of mistake. I decided not to be petty as I was leaving the country to go back to college a few days later. And I kind of thought, maybe it was a mistake....

Then I heard off my sister at the weekend, that my friend told her she'd got the copy signed with her name on purpose because I'd "blown her off"....

So I guess the stingy bit is turning up to a book signing without even bothering to buy your own copy of the author's book. And the rest of the story was just a slap in the face to me!

Wow, that's fooking really bad form. What a b1tch. You have to get that book off her; not just another copy - that book. Yea, a dedication to someone else is useless to you but it'd drive her mad knowing you have it. What a fooker.

Incidentally, what was the book?

I've never had much luck with Wondaweb. Maybe I should staple it in place before I iron it.

Staples and wondaweb:eek:
    no recession in your house:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

What a spiteful cow. People like that are best avoided. She sounds like a bunny boiler in the making.

Boombastic wrote: »
    Staples and wondaweb:eek:
    no recession in your house:)
    D'ya know they charge a tenner to turn up a pair of trousers?! Ten whole Euros, like I'm made of money! Sure, Jaysus, I didn't spend that much on the fecking trousers in the first place.

It'll be staples and Wondaweb, or paperclips and double-sided sellotape from now on.

D'ya know they charge a tenner to turn up a pair of trousers?! Ten whole Euros, like I'm made of money! Sure, Jaysus, I didn't spend that much on the fecking trousers in the first place.

It'll be staples and Wondaweb, or paperclips and double-sided sellotape from now on.

Didn't know that, do all that kind of thing myself, but I might branch out doing to doing things for other people, if there's that kind of money to be made:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭emul8ter25

I walked from GMIT to Eyre Square so I didn't have to pay €1.70 for the bus. Bus journey only takes 5 minutes it took me about 25 minutes to walk it. But I managed to save €1.70 :P

If time is not an issue, I dont see why that is stingy. You got exercise in the process so its a win win situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭emul8ter25

Whenever I see a shopping trolley that has not been returned, I return it to get the euro.

I dont know if that makes me stingy, but I cant understand how some people are so lazy they will throw away a euro to not have to walk a trolley back.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

emul8ter25 wrote: »
    Whenever I see a shopping trolley that has not been returned, I return it to get the euro.

I dont know if that makes me stingy, but I cant understand how some people are so lazy they will throw away a euro to not have to walk a trolley back.

THat's not stingy, that's earning a euro for very little work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Get the book back. Dont let her replace it with another, get the one that was signed to her name.

jmayo wrote: »

If you can do GMIT main building right up at Ballybane Road to The Huntsman in 10 minutes then you should be in the bloody olympics.

Do you live in Galway or do you ever have to go home for the weekend and carry a bag ?

Live in Galway and walk it nearly every day. Start my walk at the huntsman walk up as far as the man campus and then back to the Huntsman where if the night is nice I'll walk into Eyre Square. Never taken me more than 10-15 mind to get from Huntsman to GMIT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

emul8ter25 wrote: »

You must be well sickened when it's only a 20c coin ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

The Cool wrote: »
    You must be well sickened when it's only a 20c coin ;)

The brother used to work in Superquinn and gave me one of the little tools for releasing the trolleys. I now have it on my keyring and just leave the trolley beside the car when finished the shopping..

Always funny to see aul' stinges grabbing it and legging it to the trolley point to collect their booty :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭SandyRamp

I used to work in a Deli. One evening I caught the boss in the kitchen taking the pre-prepared salad rolls from that day out of the bin, taking the sliced tomatoes and ham from them and putting them back in the fridge for tomorrow's rolls. :O I have a whole essay I could write on her stinginess!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Squ wrote: »
    The brother used to work in Superquinn and gave me one of the little tools for releasing the trolleys. I now have it on my keyring and just leave the trolley beside the car when finished the shopping..

Always funny to see aul' stinges grabbing it and legging it to the trolley point to collect their booty :)
    You should put a 1 cent coin in the slot when you're finished and then wait for someone to grab the trolley and be left wondering how you got it to work with 1 cent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

I follow a blog written by a waiter in the USA who recants tales of what goes on in his daily work.

He blogged about a customer who rang the restaurant and told the manager that she thought she tipped too much on a previous visit and that she wanted the $10 overtip to be refunded to her on a gift card. The waiter who had served her on that occasion was tracked down and he had to buy the customer a $10 gift card from their own money.

:eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement