Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Live in Galway and walk it nearly every day. Start my walk at the huntsman walk up as far as the man campus and then back to the Huntsman where if the night is nice I'll walk into Eyre Square. Never taken me more than 10-15 mind to get from Huntsman to GMIT.

If you like walking and think Galway is small, then would you mind walking from Duggans, opposite Bons Securs in Renmore to the end of Kingston Road out in Knocknacara, just down from Joyce Supermarket and where it meets the Barna Road.

Looking at your times it should only take about 45 minutes.
    I am just interested to see how long that takes you as I had the pleasure of doing it a fair few times.

BTW I was broke at the time and getting connecting buses was a pain.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

I follow a blog written by a waiter in the USA who recants tales of what goes on in his daily work.

He blogged about a customer who rang the restaurant and told the manager that she thought she tipped too much on a previous visit and that she wanted the $10 overtip to be refunded to her on a gift card. The waiter who had served her on that occasion was tracked down and he had to buy the customer a $10 gift card from their own money.

:eek:

Link?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

I dont buy toilet paper, I have J cloths which I then rinse in the sink and re-use. Saves me a fortune on toilet roll for the year. Old lady beside me has bins but never has that much rubbish. I wait for her to put out her bins and then put my rubbish in them. I always get my newspaper around 9pm when the bar codes are taken off. I drive a 93 Micra 1ltr. Food for the week costs me about 20 euro from Lidil. Dont pay rent as parents own house I'm in and rent out one other room and get the keep the money :) I also work Monday to Friday as a data analyst. Stingy or just common sense :) Dont know how people blow there money on things they dont need.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

areyawell wrote: »
    I dont buy toilet paper, I have J cloths which I then rinse in the sink and re-use. Saves me a fortune on toilet roll for the year. Old lady beside me has bins but never has that much rubbish. I wait for her to put out her bins and then put my rubbish in them. I always get my newspaper around 9pm when the bar codes are taken off. I drive a 93 Micra 1ltr. Food for the week costs me about 20 euro from Lidil. Dont pay rent as parents own house I'm in and rent out one other room and get the keep the money :) I also work Monday to Friday as a data analyst. Stingy or just common sense :) Dont know how people blow there money on things they dont need.

trolllllll!! Troll in the dungeon!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

LizT wrote: »
    trolllllll!! Troll in the dungeon!!

???? How am i trolling? Its the truth. I also get some bargains out of the charity shop such as clothes and get shower,deodrant and razors out of 99c store. Another money saving tip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Wow! Party central at your house!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Toilet paper, Refuse collection, groceries, clothes, etc... these are hardly things people don't need. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Watch out for the E.Coli from rinsing the J cloths in the sink.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

???? How am i trolling? Its the truth. I also get some bargains out of the charity shop such as clothes and get shower,deodrant and razors out of 99c store. Another money saving tip

That's grand, but using J Cloths instead of toilet roll? Screams troll to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Would you not just use your parents toilet roll?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

Minister for Social Protection Burton states that there will be NO cuts to core services.

But she refuses to say what services are core. Im not getting political, but thats the most stingy thing ive seen all day and I started today in Cavan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

montyrebel wrote: »
    Link?
    I follow a blog written by a waiter in the USA who recants tales of what goes on in his daily work.

He blogged about a customer who rang the restaurant and told the manager that she thought she tipped too much on a previous visit and that she wanted the $10 overtip to be refunded to her on a gift card. The waiter who had served her on that occasion was tracked down and he had to buy the customer a $10 gift card from their own money.

:eek:

http://waiterextraordinaire.blogspot.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Raid the ashtray to assemble Frankenfag.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Squ wrote: »
    The brother used to work in Superquinn and gave me one of the little tools for releasing the trolleys. I now have it on my keyring and just leave the trolley beside the car when finished the shopping..

Always funny to see aul' stinges grabbing it and legging it to the trolley point to collect their booty :)

You know that youre liable for any cars damaged? When you take a trolley its on the agreement that you will leave it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

You know that youre liable for any cars damaged? When you take a trolley its on the agreement that you will leave it back.

buzzkill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭ck83

Must be a troll. If not, have you ever heard the saying.."there's no pockets in a habit"? What are you saving it up for? Coz if anyone EVER finds out about the j cloths, you won't have anyone to spend it on!

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

Squ wrote: »
    The Cool wrote: »
    You must be well sickened when it's only a 20c coin ;)

The brother used to work in Superquinn and gave me one of the little tools for releasing the trolleys. I now have it on my keyring and just leave the trolley beside the car when finished the shopping..

Always funny to see aul' stinges grabbing it and legging it to the trolley point to collect their booty :)

You may not be stingy but you're a lazy sh1te!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

. I always get my newspaper around 9pm when the bar codes are taken off.

You probably haven't read a newspaper in about 4-5 years then because they are all sent back complete these days.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

jmayo wrote: »
    If you like walking and think Galway is small, then would you mind walking from Duggans, opposite Bons Securs in Renmore to the end of Kingston Road out in Knocknacara, just down from Joyce Supermarket and where it meets the Barna Road.

Looking at your times it should only take about 45 minutes.
    I am just interested to see how long that takes you as I had the pleasure of doing it a fair few times.

BTW I was broke at the time and getting connecting buses was a pain.

I used to live in Murrough Avenue and would often walk into town by the railway tracks past the army barracks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

Had a friend who's network was doing an offer of free calls and texts for 2 months when u top up by 25 instead of for just one, and after 6 weeks he went into the store complaining that he was out of credit.. Because he'd spent the 25 on calls to other networks, and that the ad was misleading because his credit hadn't lasted him the full two months..... :rolleyes:

Could write an essay here as I work in retail. (Well, til 6pm tomorrow anyways!)

Early on a Sunday morning, just after opening after a particularly unexpectedly busy weekend, and we were out of 1c's and no banks were open. Most people will always hand the 1c back to us or tell us to keep it, and if we are out we always ask them if they mind us owing them the 1c, as we don't have any. This one guy started roaring at me over his 1c for nearly ten minutes, until I just gave him the change out of my own wallet to get rid of him.
    I know it's his change and everything but this guy was a regular and knows we would've given it to him when he came in the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭SandyRamp

Early on a Sunday morning, just after opening after a particularly unexpectedly busy weekend, and we were out of 1c's and no banks were open. Most people will always hand the 1c back to us or tell us to keep it, and if we are out we always ask them if they mind us owing them the 1c, as we don't have any. This one guy started roaring at me over his 1c for nearly ten minutes, until I just gave him the change out of my own wallet to get rid of him.
    I know it's his change and everything but this guy was a regular and knows we would've given it to him when he came in the next time.

This can be really annoying though, I think my local xtra-vision must have a policy of not keeping 1c's in the tills. For the last 2-3 years everytime I was owed 1c in the change they used to say 'Ah we will have to owe ya the 1c'. Everyone else I know has had this happen with them as well, I'd say they make a fortune every year by keeping all those cents! I wouldn't mind it happening a couple of times, but I'd say they easily owe me a good few euro's at this stage! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

SandyRamp wrote: »

This can be really annoying though, I think my local xtra-vision must have a policy of not keeping 1c's in the tills. For the last 2-3 years everytime I was owed 1c in the change they used to say 'Ah we will have to owe ya the 1c'. Everyone else I know has had this happen with them as well, I'd say they make a fortune every year by keeping all those cents! I wouldn't mind it happening a couple of times, but I'd say they easily owe me a good few euro's at this stage! :mad:

Well its a local store and he would have gotten it back next time and he knew it.. 99% of the time we have them, he was in once or twice a week and knows this!

If the shoe was on the other foot and we wouldn't let him off with being 1c or even 10c short we would be called stingy, so I dont know why he shouldn't be labelled the same!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

SandyRamp wrote: »

yes I think you are right, think I saw the owner of the xtra-vision in a brand new ferrari last week and he told a friend of mine he was thinking of buying liverpool football club, probably all those 1 cents hes been getting;)

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭SandyRamp

yes I think you are right, think I saw the owner of the xtra-vision in a brand new ferrari last week and he told a friend of mine he was thinking of buying liverpool football club, probably all those 1 cents hes been getting;)
    Well if American Airlines or whoever it was can save tens of thousands removing single olives from salads.... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

I know a guy who won the lotto and still lives with his parents rent free and free food.

he bought an apt, but rents it to make more dough.

He has an ice cream shop and we called in to see him - didn't even
    offer us a free ice cream.

Stingy c*nt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Why not just give out 2 cent coins?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

.......................... shower,deodrant ...............

I get these off my mam - she gets enough as presents for christmas that does me throughout the year:)
    ck83 wrote: »
    ........................... Coz if anyone EVER finds out about the j cloths, you won't have anyone to spend it on!

I'll think you'll find there are posts in this thread about people wiping with newspaper (I know I posted somewhere about my ex-flatmate) who now has a girlfriend - people do strange things:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭ck83

Boombastic wrote: »
    .......................... shower,deodrant ...............

I get these off my mam - she gets enough as presents for christmas that does me throughout the year:)
    ........................... Coz if anyone EVER finds out about the j cloths, you won't have anyone to spend it on!

I'll think you'll find there are posts in this thread about people wiping with newspaper (I know I posted somewhere about my ex-flatmate) who now has a girlfriend - people do strange things:D

At least the people using newspaper just throw it out. Imagine having to rinse out a jcloth after a number two...
    OP, Do your parents ever call round? What do they think of this practise?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

At least the people using newspaper just throw it out. Imagine having to rinse out a jcloth after a number two...
    OP, Do your parents ever call round? What do they think of this practise?

Sure most of our parents used cloth nappies

(I don't use J-cloths by the way, I'm not defending it)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement