Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

kylith wrote: »
    I've never had much luck with Wondaweb. Maybe I should staple it in place before I iron it.
    or sew the Wondaweb in place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Early on a Sunday morning, just after opening after a particularly unexpectedly busy weekend, and we were out of 1c's and no banks were open. Most people will always hand the 1c back to us or tell us to keep it, and if we are out we always ask them if they mind us owing them the 1c, as we don't have any. This one guy started roaring at me over his 1c for nearly ten minutes, until I just gave him the change out of my own wallet to get rid of him.
    I know it's his change and everything but this guy was a regular and knows we would've given it to him when he came in the next time.
    Why not just give out 2 cent coins?

Exactly!

The way I'd see it is, it's not up to me to decide what is or isn't an insignificant amount of money for the customer!

I'm no longer working in retail - but if I ran out of small change, I'd happily hand out 2c/5c instead, and would have put in back into the till out of my own money, if need be, rather than leaving the customer short-changed. If it was my fault that we had run low on change, I'd replace it myself. If it was management's fault, I'd leave it to them to replace it.

I wouldn't be comfortable with leaving the customer short, anyways - even if it only was one cent. It gives an awful impression of the business, in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

Squ wrote: »
    The brother used to work in Superquinn and gave me one of the little tools for releasing the trolleys. I now have it on my keyring and just leave the trolley beside the car when finished the shopping..

Always funny to see aul' stinges grabbing it and legging it to the trolley point to collect their booty :)

You know that youre liable for any cars damaged? When you take a trolley its on the agreement that you will leave it back.
    What agreement?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

What agreement?

The same way as you agree that you cant claim against the retailer if your car is damaged in the carpark. Its an implied contract. If you don't agree you can leave to opt-out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭housetypeb

areyawell wrote: »
    I also work Monday to Friday as a DATA ANALYST. Stingy or just common sense :) Dont know how people blow THERE money on things they dont need.

I just bet you're the best data analyst in the office, the go-to guy when the data is confusing and attention to detail is needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

I follow a blog written by a waiter in the USA who recants tales of what goes on in his daily work.

He blogged about a customer who rang the restaurant and told the manager that she thought she tipped too much on a previous visit and that she wanted the $10 overtip to be refunded to her on a gift card. The waiter who had served her on that occasion was tracked down and he had to buy the customer a $10 gift card from their own money.

:eek:

Reminds me of a customer when I was delivering pizza. She got pizza once a week for at least 6 months and never left me a tip, which is fair enough, I didnt expect one, always considered it a bonus. One night when I land to the door the order comes to €15. She hands me €20 and says keep the change.

Now this aint too unusual, some people give you the odd big tip as opposed to tipping every time. So I went off on my merry way thinkin what a nice lady she was. This is untill I land back to the shop where the boss tells me she rang. She thought she'd only tipped me €1 and asked for me to come back with the difference. I did, gave her the €5, was lovely and polite as to not embarrass her, and then she didnt even give me the €1 tip!

Funnily enough, this happened twice with different customers. The second guy was 7 miles into the country. He made me drive out again to return his €5.

Also had one woman insist she got her pizza for free because it was over half a hour and "that was the company policy".... we didnt have that policy.... and the pizza wasnt over half a hour.... we had computerised receipts which stated the time she rang.... she still argued for 20

All in all tho you'd notice the people who did tip didnt come from the best area's or didnt have the nicest houses or the matchin his and hers BMW and Mercedes. I remember one guy who used to wait for his 25c change on his €19.75 deal every week. While I rummaged it out he would tell me all about the Porche Boxter sitting behind me or how much fun his Nizzan Z350 was. One time I didnt have any small change on me, I asked him to give me two secs and I'd run to the car... he actually waited at the door.... for his 25c.

Guarantee he bought them fancy sports cars with a wheel barrow of change he stringed over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

I follow a blog written by a waiter in the USA who recants tales of what goes on in his daily work.

He blogged about a customer who rang the restaurant and told the manager that she thought she tipped too much on a previous visit and that she wanted the $10 overtip to be refunded to her on a gift card. The waiter who had served her on that occasion was tracked down and he had to buy the customer a $10 gift card from their own money.

:eek:

Reminds me of a customer when I was delivering pizza. She got pizza once a week for at least 6 months and never left me a tip, which is fair enough, I didnt expect one, always considered it a bonus. One night when I land to the door the order comes to €15. She hands me €20 and says keep the change.

Now this aint too unusual, some people give you the odd big tip as opposed to tipping every time. So I went off on my merry way thinkin what a nice lady she was. This is untill I land back to the shop where the boss tells me she rang. She thought she'd only tipped me €1 and asked for me to come back with the difference. I did, gave her the €5, was lovely and polite as to not embarrass her, and then she didnt even give me the €1 tip!

Funnily enough, this happened twice with different customers. The second guy was 7 miles into the country. He made me drive out again to return his €5.

Also had one woman insist she got her pizza for free because it was over half a hour and "that was the company policy".... we didnt have that policy.... and the pizza wasnt over half a hour.... we had computerised receipts which stated the time she rang.... she still argued for 20

All in all tho, you'd notice the people who did tip didnt come from the best area's or didnt have the nicest houses or the matchin his and hers BMW and Mercedes. I remember one guy who used to wait for his 25c change on his €19.75 deal every week. While I rummaged it out he would tell me all about the Porche Boxter sitting behind me or how much fun his Nizzan Z350 was. One time I didnt have any small change on me, I asked him to give me two secs and I'd run to the car... he actually waited at the door.... for his 25c.

Guarantee he bought them fancy sports cars with a wheel barrow of change he stringed over the years.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Heard this a long time ago
    once upon a time there was a pub fire and the insurance didn't pay out because the whiskey bottles hadn't broken in the right way. The way they would have broken if they had been full.

Tonto86 wrote: »
    I remember one guy who used to wait for his 25c change on his €19.75 deal every week. One time I didnt have any small change on me, .
    You should have that ready to go before leaving the car, so as not to delay the customer any more than necessary.

No-one likes cold pizza :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

You should have that ready to go before leaving the car, so as not to delay the customer any more than necessary.

No-one likes cold pizza :)

Loads of people like cold pizza, some people prefer it to hot pizza

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    Loads of people like cold pizza, some people prefer it to hot pizza

Dunno bout cold fresh pizza, but next day pizza outa the fridge!!! INCREDIBLE!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

once upon a time there was a pub fire and the insurance didn't pay out because the whiskey bottles hadn't broken in the right way. The way they would have broken if they had been full.

Hardly stingy if they didn't pay out because of arson. Proper investigation of "accidents" actually reduces premiums long term, which saves people money, so it's hardly being stingy.

bijapos wrote: »

Hardly stingy if they didn't pay out because of arson. Proper investigation of "accidents" actually reduces premiums long term, which saves people money, so it's hardly being stingy.
    I think he's insinuated they emptied the bottles of spirits on the furniture and torched the place for a claim

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

areyawell wrote: »
    I dont buy toilet paper, I have J cloths which I then rinse in the sink and re-use. Saves me a fortune on toilet roll for the year.

And do your visitors have to use the same J cloth??

You may not be stingy but you're a lazy sh1te!
    the was i see it, one of two things can happen.

1. Some miser grabs it and peggs it off to claim his winnings, or,
    2. I'm keeping a serf in a job collecting them.

Win win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

The brother used to work in Superquinn and gave me one of the little tools for releasing the trolleys. I now have it on my keyring and just leave the trolley beside the car when finished the shopping..

Bit of an a$$hole thing to do.
    the was i see it, one of two things can happen.

1. Some miser grabs it and peggs it off to claim his winnings, or,
    2. I'm keeping a serf in a job collecting them.

Win win.

And this attitude confirms it.

So, what do you do?

wilkie2006 wrote: »
    Bit of an a$$hole thing to do.

And this attitude confirms it.

So, what do you do?

I have a bit of craic on a bulletin board, you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Hal Decks

Martyn1989 wrote: »

I think he's insinuated they emptied the bottles of spirits on the furniture and torched the place for a claim

If the bottles were unopened when broken the seals on the caps would be intact.

Hal Decks wrote: »
    If the bottles were unopened when broken the seals on the caps would be intact.

I'm not really seeing the relevence, but regardless alot of the seals are plastic and would melt/burn, I'd imagine the metal ones would melt aswell.

It was the owner being stingy before an insurance job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭jessiejam

Lived in a house share years ago. One afternoon the toilet and sinks were blocked and wouldn't shift. Rang Cork Corporation (as they were known at the time) to sos it out and maybe clear it if it was outside pipes. They said it was private land and the blockage was out the back, not their problem so instead of calling dyno rod or someone they offered to do it for £IR50.

We were sitting at the kitchen table looking out through the porch at the lads going hell for leather with rods down the shore, pouding away bent down as they tried to shift the blockage.

About ten mins later an almighty erruption from the shore causing the poor men to get covered in all kinds from the sewerage pipes.

Think I wee'd a little I was laughing that much.
    Best 50 quid we ever spent. They shouldn't have been doing it in the first place, while they were on duty as Corporation workers!

Should have given then more for their suffering, but fek it.

Neyite wrote: »
    Mummsy and daddy probably call to wipe the visitors' behinds for their special little boy.. so as not to put the little darling out.. he suffers enough in fairness:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

jessiejam wrote: »
    Should have given then more for their suffering, but fek it.

Where's the stinge in this post? They offered to do it for a fee, you paid them. They knew the risks and you got a laugh. And more importantly how do I put this to work to save ME money? :pac:

On both sides really. Them for doing a foxer when they were already on a shift, and me for not handing them more cash for getting covered in sh1t!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Neyite wrote: »

Visitors ?
    Would you visit him/her ?

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Would you not just use your parents toilet roll?

Thats what I was thinking...cause it sure sounds like his parents still wipe his a*s for him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

LizT wrote: »
    That's grand, but using J Cloths instead of toilet roll? Screams troll to me.
    would you consider using dog leaves, then you could put them in compost heap, good spuds the next yr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

goat2 wrote: »
    would you consider using dog leaves, then you could put them in compost heap, good spuds the next yr

Dog leaves, as in Dog Sh1t

or Dock leaves as in these?

:D:pac:

More stubborn than stingy. When I was getting sky put in it took weeks because I had not phone line, paid a tenner for someone to hook one up. Then Sky took another week to come out again.
    When they came out they said that because I was in a flat it wasn't a straightforward installation and insurance wouldn't cover it. He wanted to send out someone who was insured who would charge £200. I already had the box and dish sitting here so offered him £40 to do it after work and I would claim to have done it myself.
    He took it! Finally got it sorted. The best part is that sky didn't know I had it installed for another 2 months so I got 2 months free.

• Advertisement

More stubborn than stingy. When I was getting sky put in it took weeks because I had not phone line, paid a tenner for someone to hook one up. Then Sky took another week to come out again.
    When they came out they said that because I was in a flat it wasn't a straightforward installation and insurance wouldn't cover it. He wanted to send out someone who was insured who would charge £200. I already had the box and dish sitting here so offered him £40 to do it after work and I would claim to have done it myself.
    He took it! Finally got it sorted. The best part is that sky didn't know I had it installed for another 2 months so I got 2 months free.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement