Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Rebelkell wrote: »
    A good few years ago i went out on the lash with a mate who was very carefull with his money to say the least.He was also a well known sleezebag. Anyway one of his things was always being last to buy a round. That way he would be hoping that by the time we hit the disco the round would fall apart as guys headed off with girls. It was him making sure that he wouldn't be caught buying a drink and not getting one back but he always made sure someone was caught.
    Anyway i was on a run of being caught and was fed up sowhen we went out one night just the 2 of us and I was determined not to buy the first drink. We walked into a bar and there was a standoff as i refused to offer to get the drinks in. After standing at the bar for 10 mins he finally asked if I wanted a drink.
    Night progressed he bought me a drink i bought him one back. We then hit the nightclub and he bought the drinks as it was his round. He then dissapeared to chat up girls. I got talking to a girl and when the slow set came on suggested a dance. Everthing was going great with a bit of kissing and having a laugh on the dancefloor. Just then i got a tap on my shoulder. He was standing there going" its your round". The floor wasn't jammed so the whole place was looking at him.He was the only person not in a couple on the floor. He insisted I buy my round and practically frog marched me to the bar. I said fine and asked him and the girl I was with what they wanted to drink and off I went to the bar.

When i came back I gave him his drink and he quickly vanished. The girl says to me . Your friend tried to get off with me while you were at the bar. If it was any other buddy i would have been put out but because it was him i always thought it was funny. Still friends with him.

GOD!! that sounds exactly like a ex friend of mine, i use the term ex friend, it all prety much ended when my wife got a chinese takeaway for myself , him and a couple of other friends just after we came back from my stag do, all my other friends gave her the money for the chinese, i heard he hadnt paid so i asked him to pay her , he said ok, ill go pay her now, turned out he didnt.

end of 20 year friendship!!

5 years on do i have any regrets, not one!!!! prick

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

GOD!! that sounds exactly like a ex friend of mine, i use the term ex friend, it all prety much ended when my wife got a chinese takeaway for myself , him and a couple of other friends just after we came back from my stag do, all my other friends gave her the money for the chinese, i heard he hadnt paid so i asked him to pay her , he said ok, ill go pay her now, turned out he didnt.

end of 20 year friendship!!

5 years on do i have any regrets, not one!!!! prick

You ended a twenty year friendship over approximately a tenner? You tight fecker!

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

You ended a twenty year friendship over approximately a tenner? You tight fecker!

On a side note, does anyone else find Cheeky_gal extremely sexy?

of course not, it was more like 13 , 13 euros 49 cent to be exact!!!!:mad:

no seriously this **** had been going on for a long time , i was constantly having to say sorry to my other friends because of his behaviour, the dreaded round skipper, asking to borrow money off people he barely knew knowing right well he would never pay them back .

He was one of my grooms men at my wedding and he gave me a card with a ten euro note in it, but it was more the ten euros was folded up so small i barely even realised it was in card.

i bought all my groomsmen and best man a crystal tankered each and his reply was i hope your going to put a drink for me in it now.

sorry this has turned into a rant, and believe me i could be here all night telling you all more storys.

good fecking ridens to bad rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

of course not, it was more like 13 , 13 euros 49 cent to be exact!!!!:mad:

no seriously this **** had been going on for a long time , i was constantly having to say sorry to my other friends because of his behaviour, the dreaded round skipper, asking to borrow money off people he barely knew knowing right well he would never pay them back .

He was one of my grooms men at my wedding and he gave me a card with a ten euro note in it, but it was more the ten euros was folded up so small i barely even realised it was in card.

i bought all my groomsmen and best man a crystal tankered each and his reply was i hope your going to put a drink for me in it now.

sorry this has turned into a rant, and believe me i could be here all night telling you all more storys.

good fecking ridens to bad rubbish

You're right to cut him out of your life as he was such a wreck the head.

I knew there was more to the story than just skipping out on one fast food bill (as bad form as that is).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,958 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    My original comment was about her language. The word "cnut" would make most respectable people shiver. It got blown way out of proportion when everyone started quoting me. I was merely passing a comment.

As I said, It's a social class thing. You wouldn't hear people speak like that in my area. Each to their own though, we'll see who gets to the finishing line first.
    Aren't you the one that was going with an ex-con who served time for Robbery.

It kind of explains why you would back up the thief against someone who uses rude language I suppose.

EDIT: I only spotted now that she was banned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭emul8ter25

A guy in work leaves and empty sweet bowl out at halloween fro kids with a sign beside it saying take one. Kids think some other kid took all the sweets and he looks like he did something nice.

Well... its called Trick or Treating.

Sounds like a pretty funny trick to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

areyawell wrote: »
    Are you taking the piss? Id rather my dog hit by a train and killed instantly than drowning in a river! I think your the sick one

I think you're both sick for wanting one or the other!

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

This thread should have a no discussion infraction, stories only!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Tonto86 wrote: »

I don't know about that, some stories here are a bit sketchy, little bit explaining wouldn't go amiss. But I agree some ppl are taking it too far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Tonto86 wrote: »

Says the lad discussing infractions.

anyway some of the best things about this thread are the discussions on how scabby (or not) the people are

• Advertisement

Im so scabby, when I go to M&S for food, if it dont have the orange sticker I aint buying it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

phasers wrote: »
    I don't believe a word of your sick, disgusting story and the fact that you made it up makes me worry for your mental health.

If someone wanted rid of a dog there are several quick ways to do it, like the old sack in the river or something like that. what you described is simply sadistic.

Do you think a guy who is that mean would waste a sack? He tied the dog to the sleepers with the rope running under the track so he could get the rope back afterwards. I saw the holes where he bored in under the track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭ck83

s_carnage wrote: »

Apologies for going off topic but it just made me laugh what Cheely_gal said above and especially then when you look at her posting history here and also her starting a thread about people breast feeding in a restaurant.

You just have to wonder what social class she actually belongs to.

I knew I recognised the user name from somewhere! I remember the breastfeeding thread. Talk about a rabble raising comment! I was one of the rabble actually! Gggrrr.
    Now. Back to the stinge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

My friend met this guy a couple of weeks ago in a bar. Nice chap.
    They where getting a taxi home that night (they live near enough to each other) the taxi was say €30 and she only had €10, she apologized and said she will get him back again.

They had exchanged numbers and got texting & chatting etc etc.
    They arranged to meet last week for a date, said they would go for something to eat and he would pick her up.
    He picks her up in his 2.7 turbo engine jeep blah blah that he bragged about how much it cost him and how hard he worked for it the whole way to the restaurant :rolleyes:

The restaurant was quite with a good few people surrounding them. The bill came and it was €60 , so been a fair person she offered to pay half, he then says rather loudly " don't forget you owe me for the taxi the other night, so just put it towards the bil as welll" - it was €5 ( I know still €5 at the end of the day but c'mon) . Everyone in the restaurant looked. She let it passed and gave €40, he puts down €20 (she could have said you still o me €5:rolleyes:).
    waiter comes back takes the money and leaves back tray with receipt. He shoves the receipt in his pocket and trows on his coat ready to leave, she was shocked that he wasn't going to leave any tip, so she puts another €5 out of her own pocket for the tip.

Heres the best part -
    when they where driving back he beeps at a friend and says "want a lift?" the guy hops in, he lived towards the direction they where going. When they reach near his house the guy says to friend, you can trow me a couple of euro for petrol, the friend laughs, then realizes he's been serious and says iv nothing on me il get you back again.
    The guy response "yeah sorry I have to ask mate it's just this jeep doesn't run cheaply, even my "girlfriend" (this was their first date :eek:) trows me money each week for driving her around..... The friend looks in shock and jumps out :rolleyes:

The guys family is well known in the area for been wealthy and having many business in the family.

Bullsh*ter as well as a stinge bag!

Needless to say she didn't see him again !

• Registered Users Posts: 28,958 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

SunnyDub1 wrote: »
    She let it passed and gave €40, he puts down €20 (she could have said you still o me €5:rolleyes:).
    waiter comes back takes the money and leaves back tray with receipt. He shoves the receipt in his pocket and trows on his coat ready to leave, she was shocked that he wasn't going to leave any tip, so she puts another €5 out of her own pocket for the tip.
    He's probably going to claim the dinner as a business expense so he needed the receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

SunnyDub1 wrote: »
    My friend met this guy a couple of weeks ago in a bar. Nice chap.
    They where getting a taxi home that night (they live near enough to each other) the taxi was say €30 and she only had €10, she apologized and said she will get him back again.

They had exchanged numbers and got texting & chatting etc etc.
    They arranged to meet last week for a date, said they would go for something to eat and he would pick her up.
    He picks her up in his 2.7 turbo engine jeep blah blah that he bragged about how much it cost him and how hard he worked for it the whole way to the restaurant :rolleyes:

The restaurant was quite with a good few people surrounding them. The bill came and it was €60 , so been a fair person she offered to pay half, he then says rather loudly " don't forget you owe me for the taxi the other night, so just put it towards the bil as welll" - it was €5 ( I know still €5 at the end of the day but c'mon) . Everyone in the restaurant looked. She let it passed and gave €40, he puts down €20 (she could have said you still o me €5:rolleyes:).

Heres the best part -
    when they where driving back he beeps at a friend and says "want a lift?" the guy hops in, he lived towards the direction they where going. When they reach near his house the guy says to friend, you can trow me a couple of euro for petrol, the friend laughs, then realizes he's been serious and says iv nothing on me il get you back again.
    The guy response "yeah sorry I have to ask mate it's just this jeep doesn't run cheaply, even my "girlfriend" (this was their first date :eek:) trows me money each week for driving her around..... The friend looks in shock and jumps out :rolleyes:

The guys family is well known in the area for been wealthy and having many business in the family.

Bullsh*ter as well as a stinge bag!

Needless to say she didn't see him again !

That's all well and stingy, but is it really shocking not to leave a tip in a restaraunt? Eating out is expensive enough without leaving a tip.
    I really hate how it's become the social norm, how many other service providers do you tip? Aren't they paid to do it in the first place?

Eathrin wrote: »
    That's all well and stingy, but is it really shocking not to leave a tip in a restaurant? Eating out is expensive enough without leaving a tip.
    I really hate how it's become the social norm, how many other service providers do you tip? Aren't they paid to do it in the first place?

If you get a decent service I think it's only fair & decent manners to leave a tip, especially if there is no service charge inc in the bill.
    Waiters are usually on sh*t pay and rely on tips.

TBH I tip most people if I am really satisfied with a job/service they have done. Mechanic, pizza delivery guy, beauticians, hair dressers.
    Maybe that's just me and the way I was brought up.

That's all well and stingy, but is it really shocking not to leave a tip in a restaraunt? Eating out is expensive enough without leaving a tip.

Do everyone a favor and limit your dining out to mcdonalds and burger king

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

emul8ter25 wrote: »
    Do everyone a favor and limit your dining out to mcdonalds and burger king

Wait!!
    Would you not tip the staff in McDonald's or Burger King, if they do a good job in getting you food??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

No they are not. They are paid a crap wage to begin with as the presumption is that they will make money on the side in tips.
    Im so scabby, when I go to M&S for food, if it dont have the orange sticker I aint buying it!

If you do that in every single supermarket you go into, yeah it is a tad on the stingy side, but if you only do it in Marks and Spencers, its not. Their food is pretty pricey. I only shop there myself when they have their 12.50 meal deal special on. Their food is too expensive otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

ProudDUB wrote: »
    No they are not. They are paid a crap wage to begin with as the presumption is that they will make money on the side in tips.

No, they are paid a low wage because waiting tables is essentially an unskilled job that almost anyone can do. Wages for waiting tables would be lower were it not for the minimum wage and other wage agreements. In Ireland there is no presumption that the customer has to top up the employees wages. Lots of people work hard in various industry and don't expect their companies clients to give them a bit extra for just doing their job.

The US has a different (and imo stupid) culture of tipping a percentage of the final bill (x2 tax) for the staff as their wages. This means that staff who are lucky to work in expensive restaurants get paid far more than those that work in cheaper or family restaurants despite them working as hard or even harder. There is no fairness in that.

No, they are paid a low wage because waiting tables is essentially an unskilled job that almost anyone can do. Wages for waiting tables would be lower were it not for the minimum wage and other wage agreements. In Ireland there is no presumption that the customer has to top up the employees wages. Lots of people work hard in various industry and don't expect their companies clients to give them a bit extra for just doing their job.

The US has a different (and imo stupid) culture of tipping a percentage of the final bill (x2 tax) for the staff as their wages. This means that staff who are lucky to work in expensive restaurants get paid far more than those that work in cheaper or family restaurants despite them working as hard or even harder. There is no fairness in that.

Working in fine dining requires a more refined skill set, and a certain look of course. You are right that the waiters in lower priced places often work harder though.... But this unfairness is hardly confined to the restaurant industry.

In general, eating out in the US is less expensive than here in Ireland, and it is common knowledge American servers make less than minimum wage and rely on tips.

You may think the tipping culture is stupid, but I would take the vastly superior service you receive in America any day to what you get here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I agree that the system itself is stupid. Why should a person who takes my order and brings me my food get a tip, but the sales assistant in a clothes shop who brings me several changes of clothes does not? But that is the system we have. I don't like it, but I respect the fact that waiters/waitresses are in that system, and have to supplement their wages by getting tips from the likes of me.

Yes, there are a lot of badly paid jobs out there because a relatively small amount of skill or training is required to do them. But I maintain (and I say this as someone who has worked in the industry for over 15 years) that waiters & waitresses are usually paid less than most others in low skilled professions, as they have the ability to make extra cash on the side that most other people doing low skilled level/menial jobs do not have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I agree that the system itself is stupid. Why should a person who takes my order and brings me my food get a tip, but the sales assistant in a clothes shop who brings me several changes of clothes does not? But that is the system we have. I don't like it, but I respect the fact that waiters/waitresses are in that system, and have to supplement their wages by getting tips from the likes of me.

Yes, there are a lot of badly paid jobs out there because a relatively small amount of skill or training is required to do them. But I maintain (and I say this as someone who has worked in the industry for over 15 years) that waiters & waitresses are usually paid less than most others in low skilled professions, as they have the ability to make extra cash on the side that most other people doing low skilled level/menial jobs do not have.

They have to be paid the same min wage as all the other unskilled workers usually in the retail/hospitality sector. Its not the system we have but its one perpertrated by those in the food industry in order to bump up their wages.

In the example that you gave, why do you feel required to automatically tip a waiter who does their job yet not the retail assistant who does their job.
    both are on the same wage wage.

Tipping should always be voluntary, this crap of service not included in restaurants is bull****, imagine if you went into a retail shop and they told you that the cost of the retail assistants wasnt included in the price of the dress you were buying and you were expected to "tip" to meet these costs.

Not tipping is not stingy.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

The funny thing about tipping is that I will almost always tip in a restaurant or when getting a food delivery but never tip in my local pub that I visit 2/3 times a week or my local Centra that I visit nearly every day.

I reckon most people would be the same...........

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Get Real

Guy in front of me in the queue in mcdonalds drops a fiver out of his back pocket.

I pick it up and hand it to him. He then proceeds to order a 1euro hamburger with the same fiver and gets 4euro change. Claims straight away he handed the girl a fifty and he's owed 45euro to make up the 49 change in total. My friend in college works there and they get this all the time now because of the recession so its common practice they check, of course some ppl will be telling the truth.

The manager says 'ok sir no problem, we'll count the till and if its 45euro up then we know you did hand a fifty and we'll give it straight back'. They didnt find a 45euro surplus. I eat my meal, twenty minutes later the guy is still there hurling abuse, being verbally rude and a complete a##ehole. I don't think he expected me to intervene but i went over and said excuse me, i picked your fiver up for you, you thanked me, and we both know you paid with a fiver. He went so quiet, called me a c##t and walked out.

Caught red handed, the worse kind of scab, deliberately lying, giving others abuse and then getting all shy when caught out.

Shelflife wrote: »

Not tipping is not stingy.

You make a lot of good points that make good sense.

However, social convention cannot always be explained in black or white logical terms.

So yes, not tipping is stingy because it goes against the established social conventions, despite if you agree with them or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

emul8ter25 wrote: »
    Working in fine dining requires a more refined skill set, and a certain look of course. You are right that the waiters in lower priced places often work harder though.... But this unfairness is hardly confined to the restaurant industry.

In general, eating out in the US is less expensive than here in Ireland, and it is common knowledge American servers make less than minimum wage and rely on tips.

You may think the tipping culture is stupid, but I would take the vastly superior service you receive in America any day to what you get here.

What skill set? It doesn't take much in the way of skill to be write down an order and then carry that order to the table. I'd never tip more than rounding up to the nearest euro unless they've really gone above and beyond the call of duty, which very seldom happens.

American tipping culture is just an excuse for employers not to pay their staff properly.

kylith wrote: »
    What skill set? It doesn't take much in the way of skill to be write down an order and then carry that order to the table. I'd never tip more than rounding up to the nearest euro unless they've really gone above and beyond the call of duty, which very seldom happens.

Exactly. You obviously have not experienced good service, much less fine dining service.
    kylith wrote: »
    American tipping culture is just an excuse for employers not to pay their staff properly.

I semi agree with you. The service price is not built into the meal, so it costs less to eat out in general. But when it is the established convention, is it fair to not tip the server just because you disagree with the system? That makes you mean, no other way around it.

• Advertisement

Get Real wrote: »
    Guy in front of me in the queue in mcdonalds drops a fiver out of his back pocket.

I pick it up and hand it to him. He then proceeds to order a 1euro hamburger with the same fiver and gets 4euro change. Claims straight away he handed the girl a fifty and he's owed 45euro to make up the 49 change in total. My friend in college works there and they get this all the time now because of the recession so its common practice they check, of course some ppl will be telling the truth.

The manager says 'ok sir no problem, we'll count the till and if its 45euro up then we know you did hand a fifty and we'll give it straight back'. They didnt find a 45euro surplus. I eat my meal, twenty minutes later the guy is still there hurling abuse, being verbally rude and a complete a##ehole. I don't think he expected me to intervene but i went over and said excuse me, i picked your fiver up for you, you thanked me, and we both know you paid with a fiver. He went so quiet, called me a c##t and walked out.

Caught red handed, the worse kind of scab, deliberately lying, giving others abuse and then getting all shy when caught out.

Why did you wait for them to count up the till and let him roar abuse at them, before telling them what he had done ?:confused:
    I would have told on the little stingy prick straight away

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement