Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

A decent waiter or waitress is highly skilled. I worked as a waitress once and I was rubbish at it. Still got tipped and I have no idea why. It's not just "write down an order and bring that order that order to the table". While you're doing that you're getting asked for water, mayo, extra cutlery, drinks orders for a table of 12 by anyone who requires such immediate attention in the restaurant. Then later splitting that bill for the table of twelve because the non drinker doesn't want to throw in for everyone's wine and the wine drinkers don't want to pay for the cocktail drinker's cocktails and three of them want to pay by credit card and yes hang on table 8 I'll take your drinks orders once these people have stopped arguing and paid and I'm so sorry table 6 I forgot your mayo and argh look at the state of the place and the manager is hovering and now table 2 is complaining about their meal even though they ate every pick of it...

That's not a comment on to tip or not to tip, by the way, just an observation that it does require skill. I know, because I didn't have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Blonde Cena

I knew a girl once and if she got a ladder in her tights she would cut off the leg with the ladder and put with a good leg off another pair. So she ended up wearing two top parts of the tights and one good leg from each pair of tights!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

oh please can people take the tipping debate to a thread of its own and leave this one for the stingy stories. It's crap opening the thread and seeing pages of comments about tipping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

oh please can people take the tipping debate to a thread of its own and leave this one for the stingy stories. It's crap opening the thread and seeing pages of comments about tipping.

Agreed!! New thread here for that :DDo you tip in a restaurant ?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭emul8ter25

you are right! i cant wait for the next "my cheap mate that wont buy a round in the pub" story. there can never be enough of those!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

emul8ter25 wrote: »
    Do everyone a favor and limit your dining out to mcdonalds and burger king

Harsh comment. So I shouldn't go out for the odd meal if I'm not going to leave a tip. Yeah, the restaraunt would probably be better off without my business.
    Maybe it's because I was brought up on sweet fúck all money, but tipping the person who took my order and carried over my plates when that is what they're paid to do is not natural to me unless they provided a particularly good experience.

When I was working in a hire centre, I probably got two €1 tips over 2 years of work. Why should I tip in a restaraunt? Because everybody else does it? Get off your high horse.

I'm a student too, it's not like I'm loaded, yet because waiters are paid a low wage I should give them more?

Why wouldn't you tip those in Burger King for getting you your food. Sometimes it takes time to prepare and they will bring it to your table. Surely this is snobbery on your part. Am I not right?

Edit: Sorry that I'm late back to the debate, some of those points are very good, I wasn't trying to bump the argument.

emul8ter25 wrote: »
    So yes, not tipping is stingy because it goes against the established social conventions, despite if you agree with them or not.
    Tipping used to be a social convention relevant to us a long long time ago. You'd tip young people doing menial tasks like shining shoes or carrying bags, because they'd be unlikely to be getting a proper wage. We then got minimum wage so tipping was no longer necessary. Cue American media, reminding us that over there service staff still rely on tipping, and it then becomes a "social convention" over here, even though we have no reason for it.

So no, not tipping is not stingy because it goes against the established American social conventions. And we're not in America. Tipping is nice, but in no way is it necessary. And I find it a pity that a couple who are saving up money to go out for a nice meal should have to wait an extra week so that they can afford not only a meal but also a tip, lest they be embarrassed, not because the staff need a tip, but because some people think it's an established social convention.

As far as I can see, with the exception of rewarding excellent service, the point of tipping is not that the staff need it. I'd propose that in Ireland the main reason for tipping is purely so as not to be seen as stingy by certain people.

If I order a takeaway, and it comes to €17, I'll give the delivery guy a €20 and say keep the change. It's not because I think he's some sort of delivery guy extraordinaire, it's because at the end of the day it's only €3, and I know I'd look like a complete knob if I stood there and waited for change.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

My rules regarding tipping in a restraunt are simple.

If i get good genuine service where i feel like the waiter/waitress is doing their best to ensure i have a good meal they get 10%.

Anything else they get nothing.

IF they arent intrested - nothing

too much, oooh how are your garlic mushrooms etc etc - nothing.

you get the drift.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

FFS people, there's a seperate thread now for discussing the social habit of tipping!!!

Let's get back to stinge...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

BizzyC wrote: »
    FFS people, there's a seperate thread now for discussing the social habit of tipping!!!

Let's get back to stinge...

We can afford a thread per topic, people:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I knew a girl once and if she got a ladder in her tights she would cut off the leg with the ladder and put with a good leg off another pair. So she ended up wearing two top parts of the tights and one good leg from each pair of tights!!!

Who did what now?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I was lucky enough to be in the maternity hospital this week with Mrs. Clareman, my daughter was born at 10am so we had a bit of time during the day to get organised, I went home to collect a few things and on the way back I stopped at the shop and bought a copy of every paper so I could have them for her when she's old, anyway, I went in and told herself that I got them, the people in the next bed heard this and thought it was a great idea and asked how much it cost, I explained I didn't know cause I got other stuff but I think it was a bit over a tenner, the father says "I'll go in later when they're closing and get them for free", little laugh and thought nothing of it. Next day I was back in and making small talk with yerman and asked if he got the papers, he said he did and it didn't cost him anything cause they were sending them back and he was happy out with himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

areyawell wrote: »
    ???? How am i trolling? Its the truth. I also get some bargains out of the charity shop such as clothes and get shower,deodrant and razors out of 99c store. Another money saving tip

Jesus, you sound like a complete waste of oxygen!

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

Clareman wrote: »
    I was lucky enough to be in the maternity hospital this week with Mrs. Clareman, my daughter was born at 10am so we had a bit of time during the day to get organised, I went home to collect a few things and on the way back I stopped at the shop and bought a copy of every paper so I could have them for her when she's old, anyway, I went in and told herself that I got them, the people in the next bed heard this and thought it was a great idea and asked how much it cost, I explained I didn't know cause I got other stuff but I think it was a bit over a tenner, the father says "I'll go in later when they're closing and get them for free", little laugh and thought nothing of it. Next day I was back in and making small talk with yerman and asked if he got the papers, he said he did and it didn't cost him anything cause they were sending them back and he was happy out with himself.

Congrats on the lil nipper!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Get Real

SunnyDub1 wrote: »
    Why did you wait for them to count up the till and let him roar abuse at them, before telling them what he had done ?:confused:
    I would have told on the little stingy prick straight away

Good point actually haha. I guess because when i heard they were gonna count the till i thought he'll be caught out and leave it at that. Then I was eating, and when i saw he was still there I just thought ffs this guy is unreal i'll say it as i'm walking by.

Like i genuinely thought he'd realize his lie was going nowhere, guess not though:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

A girl I lived with in college went on a rant one day because we threw out her sack of stinking, mouldy potatoes, saying they were "actually fine!"

Thing is, her dad was a potato farmer so it's not like she had to pay for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

A lad I know from growing up is fairly bad. I'm not friends with him mainly because of his notorious stinginess.

Went to mate's housewarming last year. I bring a bottle of wine for the couple and of course he drinks the whole bottle himself. Sound.

He'll happily take up offers of pints all night but will never return the favour.

This lad is renowned for getting in an absolute state at house parties, usually on other people's drink, and then proceed to vomit on couches, beds, ect. Never apologises or offers to pay for the cleaning.

The worst is getting a taxi home with him. He will insist on being dropped directly to his door no matter how out of the way it is from where everyone else is going and will contribute a single cent to the taxi fair. I got stuck with him once in a taxi and had to pay the entire fare. Never again.

This all came to ahead last weekend. One of the lads was back from Australia for two weeks. On the last night out in town before he headed back this lad shows up off his head. Proceeds to ruining the night out as he's in such a state he has to be put in a taxi. He then claims he doesn't know where he lives. One of the lads has to get in with him to get him home, and of course not a single cent to the taxi fair.

Needless to say, we're finished with him at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

If I order a takeaway, and it comes to €17, I'll give the delivery guy a €20 and say keep the change. It's not because I think he's some sort of delivery guy extraordinaire, it's because at the end of the day it's only €3, and I know I'd look like a complete knob if I stood there and waited for change.

Ah you wouldn't really though. Take it from someone who is a delivery driver! I never expect a tip but actually do quite well sometimes. I'm good at my job and friendly and happy to stop at shops for fags etc on my way over.

I have come across several idiots during my time on the road. People lying about where they live to get the cheaper delivery charge. How ridiculous is that? Do they think I won't notice that their 'around a mile' down the road is actually 5 miles away? Morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

mud wrote: »
    Ah you wouldn't really though. Take it from someone who is a delivery driver! I never expect a tip but actually do quite well sometimes. I'm good at my job and friendly and happy to stop at shops for fags etc on my way over.

I have come across several idiots during my time on the road. People lying about where they live to get the cheaper delivery charge. How ridiculous is that? Do they think I won't notice that their 'around a mile' down the road is actually 5 miles away? Morons.

I do sympathise with some delivery drivers though because a lot of places don't pay any of the drivers' expenses such as fuel.

I'm happy to leave the euro on a €19 order.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Eathrin wrote: »
    I do sympathise with some delivery drivers though because a lot of places don't pay any of the drivers' expenses such as fuel.

I'm happy to leave the euro on a €19 order.

Yeah, I guess I'm slightly different as I live and work in a rural area so our delivery area is waaaaay bigger than a city/town takeaway. Don't get paid for fuel you're right! Still though, tipping is completely down to the individual. I always have the exact change ready so there' no fumbling at the door and hinting for a tip. I sometimes think that's why I do get tips, becaue I don't look for them.

One person kinda annoyed me recently. Took over €200 worth of grub to a party. Carried it all in and set it up (my choice fair enough) and didn't even get a thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I work in a shop that has club cards. There's one particularly stingy fcuker who has a club card and constantly tries to get points on his card through other people's purchases.

Just today he was third in the queue, and for BOTH customers ahead of him, he asked if I could swipe his card to get the points, despite not being his points to get. The same guy last week, saw another customer drop a 1 cent coin on the floor, which rolled to the other side of the shop. He jumped out of the queue, over to the magical coin and pocketed it.

Seen nothing like him in my life. Some neck on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

mud wrote: »
    Yeah, I guess I'm slightly different as I live and work in a rural area so our delivery area is waaaaay bigger than a city/town takeaway. Don't get paid for fuel you're right! Still though, tipping is completely down to the individual. I always have the exact change ready so there' no fumbling at the door and hinting for a tip. I sometimes think that's why I do get tips, becaue I don't look for them.

One person kinda annoyed me recently. Took over €200 worth of grub to a party. Carried it all in and set it up (my choice fair enough) and didn't even get a thanks!

Funny you mention it but I think its true. I generally tip (for example taxi drivers and delivery drivers) unless there is that whole ridiculous 2 minute fumble that goes on. I just end up feeling really uncomfortable and then resent being made to feel that way and am less likely to tip. Something I didn't really think about 'til now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

Clareman wrote: »

How is this stingy? I would have done the same as well if I was going to even bother buying all the newspapers for that day -why waste a tenner of papers you are not going to read when you can get them for free a few hours later? more like common sense Id have thought :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

A decent waiter or waitress is highly skilled. I worked as a waitress once and I was rubbish at it. Still got tipped and I have no idea why. It's not just "write down an order and bring that order that order to the table". While you're doing that you're getting asked for water, mayo, extra cutlery, drinks orders for a table of 12 by anyone who requires such immediate attention in the restaurant. Then later splitting that bill for the table of twelve because the non drinker doesn't want to throw in for everyone's wine and the wine drinkers don't want to pay for the cocktail drinker's cocktails and three of them want to pay by credit card and yes hang on table 8 I'll take your drinks orders once these people have stopped arguing and paid and I'm so sorry table 6 I forgot your mayo and argh look at the state of the place and the manager is hovering and now table 2 is complaining about their meal even though they ate every pick of it...

That's not a comment on to tip or not to tip, by the way, just an observation that it does require skill. I know, because I didn't have it.

disagree 100%. Doesnt seem a particularly hard job at all to me and ive worked in the industry along side them when I was younger. Out of all jobs in the world tipping a waiter etc would be the most illogical. Why not tip a dentist, an accountant, a doctor instead? They do a far more difficult and demanding job? Somone handing me drinks with a nice smile certainly doesnt deserve anything more than a nice "thank you"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

That topic derail ended over a week ago and we were handily provided with a link for a new thread on the subject where your post should have gone.

"doesn't seem particularly hard"? Why not give it a go first and then come back with an informed opinion?

I did make it crystal clear that I wasn't discussing whether or not to tip! But since you asked: we don't tip dentists, accountants and doctors because we remunerate them directly and generously for their services.

Or I could just say "pulling teeth/doing sums/writing scripts, doesnt seem a particularly hard job at all to me" but that would be really daft now, wouldn't it?

I don't give a flying one whether you tip or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

disagree 100%. Doesnt seem a particularly hard job at all to me and ive worked in the industry along side them when I was younger. Out of all jobs in the world tipping a waiter etc would be the most illogical. Why not tip a dentist, an accountant, a doctor instead? They do a far more difficult and demanding job? Somone handing me drinks with a nice smile certainly doesnt deserve anything more than a nice "thank you"
    Well doctors, accountants and dentists make a lot of money so they don't need the tip. Nor do they get endless abuse and disdain from customers who feel superior to them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Neewbie_noob

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

Well doctors, accountants and dentists make a lot of money so they don't need the tip. Nor do they get endless abuse and disdain from customers who feel superior to them.

doctors are not well paid
    in fact their really under paid for their profession
    they get abuse of patients all day ( although to be fair some are junkies )
    i was in hospital 2 months ago for an operation
    and was in a ward
    doctor done his rounds
    the patient beside me told him to **** off said he wants to sleep, where as the doctor was trying to explain he needs to get up and do some exercise physio workout or he wont recover fully
    patient argued and argued
    felt like telling him to shut up and do what he telling him to do
    stink of piss didnt help either :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

It always seemed to me that it's the nurses that seem to get the bulk of the abuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Doesn't seem so stingy considering how they are made in the first place.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement