Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

ProudDUB wrote: »

She said that the straw that broke the camels back was a woman coming in with a golf bag. She had the nerve to bring the bag and a complete set of golf clubs into a book shop, each one that she wanted wrapped up individually, without contributing a penny to the donations jar. I mean who the fook has the nerve to do that ? She threw a strop when my friend politely pointed out to her that the free gift wrapping was only for store bought items, and asked to speak to the manager, not knowing that my friend was the manager. That takes both stinginess & hardneckery to a whole new level imo ! :o

Of course they did, first sign of a mean cúnt when they don't get their own way or don't like what they've been told. I would LOVE and I mean LOVE to be a manager to tell these people where to go. Of course stingyness goes hand in hand with a plethora of negative traits (as this thread has shown time and time again) so someone like that would probably go out of their way to report a manager or try and make their life a misery with a complaint. You really have to fúcking watch them

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Placebo Effect

I was in boylesports in Galway once where they used to hand out sandwiches and free coffee, not very nice either but always made me laugh as there was always a few people in there who had no interest in gambling but wanted a free cuppa/sandwich.

I strolled in one Saturday around lunchtime and there was a well dressed family of six, granny and all, sitting around a table, blatantly no interest in their surroundings, tucking into tea and sandwiches....

I think they've stopped giving them out a while back..

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭md23040

jca wrote: »
    Brilliant!! I love it. He has to be of Irish descent....

Coincidentally he was........

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

In fairness to him, not playing the lotto is the smart thing to do 99.99% of the time.

• Advertisement

She said that the straw that broke the camels back was a woman coming in with a golf bag. She had the nerve to bring the bag AND a complete set of golf clubs into a book shop, each one that she wanted wrapped up individually, without contributing a penny to the donations jar. I mean who the fook has the nerve to do that ? She threw a strop when my friend politely pointed out to her that the free gift wrapping was only for store bought items, and asked to speak to the manager, not knowing that my friend was the manager. That takes both stinginess & hardneckery to a whole new level imo ! :o

Should have wrapped her up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

The report says he was over looked, nothing about him refusing to buy a ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Mod Edit: Poster banned for linking to personal issues thread.

Kolido wrote: »
    The report says he was over looked, nothing about him refusing to buy a ticket.

Yea but we all know why!
    Remember as a kid going round with sponsor books and there was one house you never went to?

And I'm not talking about the priest house :p

• Registered Users Posts: 51,937 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I was in boylesports in Galway once where they used to hand out sandwiches and free coffee, not very nice either but always made me laugh as there was always a few people in there who had no interest in gambling but wanted a free cuppa/sandwich.

I strolled in one Saturday around lunchtime and there was a well dressed family of six, granny and all, sitting around a table, blatantly no interest in their surroundings, tucking into tea and sandwiches....

I think they've stopped giving them out a while back..

Yes. I lived near a Boylesports a good many years ago. Every year during Cheltenham week the bookies took in food for their customers every day, Trays of chicken, cocktail sausages, sandwiches and plenty of tea. On these days you couldn't stand in the place with all the students from DKIT who converged on the place for the food when the news got out.
    Not really stingy just using their heads and fair play to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Saw one of the buskers on Grafton steet blowing bubbles and the kids would run after and burst, the idea being that the parents would throw a few coins in, loads of kids, load of parents but no sign of them tossing any coins.

Saw another poor guy dressed up as a jester holding out lollipops for kids, same idea, you take a lollipop and you toss a few coins, but the same thing, they take they run off and give nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

Went to the bleeding horse a few weeks back to meet up with my mates for a few pints. I'm not a smoker, but as the pints went down it seemed like a great idea! I bought a box of fags and the 3 of us headed out to the smoking area. Since none of us really smoke we had to ask for a light.

I asked the first girl I saw smoking, if could I have a light and she bellows "I'll give ya ha lihe if yah gib me a fag!" She had a full box too, open in plain sight. I asked if she was from Cavan. She was, and she was seriously amazed with how I came to such a conclusion :pac:

I gave her a cigarette too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Drakares wrote: »
    She had a full box too, open in plain sight. I asked if she was from Cavan. She was, and she was seriously amazed with how I came to such a conclusion :pac:

She's never heard of accents I take it? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

She said that the straw that broke the camels back was a woman coming in with a golf bag. She had the nerve to bring the bag AND a complete set of golf clubs into a book shop, each one that she wanted wrapped up individually, without contributing a penny to the donations jar. I mean who the fook has the nerve to do that ? She threw a strop when my friend politely pointed out to her that the free gift wrapping was only for store bought items, and asked to speak to the manager, not knowing that my friend was the manager. That takes both stinginess & hardneckery to a whole new level imo ! :o

Brave of someone to hand you a golf club and then show neck like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

kowloon wrote: »
    Brave of someone to hand you a golf club and then show neck like that.

Sure i'll wrap this golf club for you ........ wrap it around your neck ya cheeky git

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭DramaQuee

In the summer at an event near Dublin, some of the hotels at the seafront had facepainting and balloons for the kids. Supposedly a good idea to lure in the punters? Instead a lot of pee-ers were lured in after their kids taking free balloons and face painting. They then went off their merry way without so much as looking into the bar. We were in a lounge having barfood and though we were genuine customers spending about 100 euro between 4 of us, we had to queue for ages for the loo behind all the (messy, bad aiming) subscribers to the freebees.

I had a well to do friend years ago. When we were about 6 she said I had to go home because it was time for her 'special drink' and there wouldn't be enough for 2 of us. This wonderful bevvy, available once a month or so, she described to me was warm water swirled around the empty jamjar. And they wouldn't even share that :(

Another time I paid for a horseriding lesson and that wealthy lady downfaced me that I hadn't given her the twenty spot for the lesson. I'd seen loads of crumpled 500 euro notes in her handbag when she had taken my money!! My powers of observation noticing those and a pink hairbrush in the handbag made her accept (with very bad grace) I'd paid.

It's surprising how many people will take advantage of a 'lift' at night, week after week if you don't drink, without ever offering to even buy you a water.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 dementedmole5

mahonykid wrote: »
    I work turnstiles on big match days in some GAA grounds,
    You will always get someone who says " you will take 2 euro wont you ?" even though the price of 10 euro is clearly printed in front of them.
    You also get the usual "parents" of players who think they are entitled to get in free, and the fifty year old woman who claims she is a student but has yet to produce a student card.

The amount of abuse you get because of this is crazy
    you deserve every bit of it. not leaving students in the adult turnstiles. the game was on man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

I just did something stingy.

I'm away with work, and had a few pints with my dinner..
    The girl comes with the cheque, i notice she forgot to put some of the pints on it.

I said nothing even though i'm paying with the work credit card.. Feel bad now..

Obviously Squ is not short for squander.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

got 2 free tickets to a gig a few years ago and as I had already bought my ticket, I gave the 2 spare tickets to a mate and a mate of his, my mate said he was very grateful and said that the drinks would be on him and his mate for the night. Thay didnt buy me 1 drink, not friends with him anymore, once I cop a tight person I drop them straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

got 2 free tickets to a gig a few years ago and as I had already bought my ticket, I gave the 2 spare tickets to a mate and a mate of his, my mate said he was very grateful and said that the drinks would be on him and his mate for the night. Thay didnt buy me 1 drink, not friends with him anymore, once I cop a tight person I drop them straight away.
    Why would you expect free drinks for giving free tickets? I could understand if you had paid for the tickets but you weren't out of pocket.

A nice gesture in return for kindness. Quid pro quo. Homeless Student wasn't expecting to receive the price of the tickets in beer, but something given would have created balance in the interaction.

Anyway the grabber had 'said the drinks would be on him and his mate for the night'. So as well as being a grabber, he didn't stand by his word. Like the toads who tried get lifts with me every night I was going out and would never offer to buy a drink of water or a fiver towards petrol. Nor would they EVER drive, some had a mysterious problem with Night Eyes, some had awful problems with car lights, and best of all, their social anxiety meant they could not spend even ONE night without the gargle. Last few times I left my car behind and we all pay for a taxi now, I was spending that anyway, and difference is now I'm first home. :) You get sick of users. It has to be give and take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Squ wrote: »
    I just did something stingy.

I'm away with work, and had a few pints with my dinner..
    The girl comes with the cheque, i notice she forgot to put some of the pints on it.

I said nothing even though i'm paying with the work credit card.. Feel bad now..

Your a complete toerag ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

DramaQuee wrote: »

I had a well to do friend years ago. When we were about 6 she said I had to go home because it was time for her 'special drink' and there wouldn't be enough for 2 of us. This wonderful bevvy, available once a month or so, she described to me was warm water swirled around the empty jamjar. And they wouldn't even share that :(

Yummmm, the drink of beauty queens ;)
    Nice One.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭leblanc

I shared a house with a chap who used to nick the bog roll from his office until they put it under lock and key. So he simply never bothered buying any as 'its way to expensive for something you are gonna throw down the toilet' Ergo he would cycle to the local if in need of a movement or in an emergency, as he explained to me one evening while the toilet overflowed down the Goddam stairs, use newspaper.

The ladies loved him of course... mean and smeared in his own excrement with columns from recent Indo's readable by holding a mirror up to his arse...who wouldnt?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 The Splinter

My husband's ex-girlfriend was proud of the fact that all her socks and knickers were acquired via shoplifting and thus cost her nothing and her family regularly would drag home and eat any roadkill they happened to encounter/create. Did I mention they were millionaires? Yeah.

My husband's ex-girlfriend was proud of the fact that all her socks and knickers were acquired via shoplifting and thus cost her nothing and her family regularly would drag home and eat any roadkill they happened to encounter/create. Did I mention they were millionaires? Yeah.

It's weird any really well off people I know are liable to do things so mean, so stingy, they would not stop at grabbing/stealing what they want (if there was any chance to get away with it). We were invited to an opening of a beauty salon and I had to draw attention speaking loudly and then physically push my friend so she wouldn't put a spray glitter thing from the shelf into her bag!! She would chat up any guys, with wedding rings, old, fat, yuk, if there was a chance of free drink. Funny thing, going in with her, I never once paid into a nite club and got in free to the best seats/tents/parties everywhere. She was great fun, interesting, gorgeous looking and had great points, but the meanness and using ruined it all.

New Boyfriend was given decorator title and kept busy at a particular room. Until he and the room were finished. If you put money down, out would go the paw and she'd put it in her pocket, with so much ownership too!! She had a beautiful brand new car, but would walk from Leeson St to Monkstown rather than buy petrol. I asked her had I left my pearl necklace in her house, she said No, definitely not, if I'd have seen that I'd have swiped it.

The best one, she'd get a guy to buy a large box of condoms for her beside locker - just before she'd finished with him ;)

Oh, and one more, she would go to a Jewelers wearing her mother's mink (with empty pockets) when they had a day with glasses of free champagne to drum up business, guess why ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Don't know if stingy or genius but I was talking to a guy recently who said he had no money for food and no oven or fryer to cook anything. All he had was a few potatoes so he he peeled em and cut them up and procceded to the cut up chips over to the local chip van and asked him to throw them in the fryer.

The guy in the van obliged purely and threw in salt and vinegar and a few sachets of ketchup. I thought it was one of the greatest thing I ever heard

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement