Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

My friend refused to take back the €4 I owed her the other day, money in my outstretched hand.
    She says "You can buy me a drink next time we're out".

She knows full and well that a drink will more than likely cost me more than €4.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Eathrin wrote: »
    My friend refused to take back the €4 I owed her the other day, money in my outstretched hand.
    She says "You can buy me a drink next time we're out".

She knows full and well that a drink will more than likely cost me more than €4.

you see, this was always something i thought was fine...i dont want to be taking 4euro in coin, so just by me a drink. a difference of a euro or so...no big deal

Then I realised the amount of people who actually try and do it as a means of getting more value out of what they are owed. If someone offers to just get them a drink when you owe them a tenner, great. When you offer to give them a drink instead of a tenner, then that is indeed stingy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

retalivity wrote: »
    you see, this was always something i thought was fine...i dont want to be taking 4euro in coin, so just by me a drink. a difference of a euro or so...no big deal

Then I realised the amount of people who actually try and do it as a means of getting more value out of what they are owed. If someone offers to just get them a drink when you owe them a tenner, great. When you offer to give them a drink instead of a tenner, then that is indeed stingy

Well it was 2 €2 coins, same as she gave me, I didn't see anything wrong with that.

Now my Brother, he will always pay me back in coppers and 10s and 20s when I loan him money and I find that fairly stingy.
    It's far less practical for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Not actually a thing but something!!!
    People who you know have a few quid(ok not rothschild, but a few bob) and they bitch and moan about money.

Putting on the poor mouth is the worst thing ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Mi wadi orange is a drink!! If they Didnt stipulate alcohol then fook the stingey bollix's. just don't buy it in some Dublin bars or you could end up paying more!!

retalivity wrote: »

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Myself and the OH got a very nice Galway crystal candle holder from my Uncle and Aunt as a Christening gift for out little boy.
    At the bottom it was engraved with the phrase "Happy 25th wedding Anniversary"
    We've been married about 8yrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Smidge wrote: »
    People who you know have a few quid(ok not rothschild, but a few bob) and they bitch and moan about money.

Ahh I know so many people that go on like this! And do you notice it's always the ones that that you know are doing all right that go on about their finances all the time. I'm only working part-time, barely making more than dole and have been living out of home and paying my way since I was eighteen. It's fine I don't mind, because I still enjoy myself, budget tightly, use a bike instead of a car etc And yeah, there are often times when it's been a real struggle. I just don't go on about that much it because what's the point? I know there are people worse off than me. But because I don't go on about it a lot of my friends make remarks like "I'm sooo broke, you are so lucky you have this and that, can do X Y Z" Eh it's not luck, you don't have a clue how much money I have in my account.

It also really annoys me when people live with their parents and over exaggerate their expenses. Ehh throwing your mum a few bob once a month for the ESB is not the same as renting and paying your way. Sorry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

cantdecide wrote: »
    Jaysus how could I forget this:

My mate gave me a thermal flask thing for Christmas last year. It was grand like but it had a rubber grip band thing that looked a little weird until I eventually used it and washed it and discovered that the band was inside out.

The hidden side of the band had a printed graphic from some local recruitment agency. My Chrimbo present was a free corporate promo flask:D
    Nothing wrong or stingy about a bit of regifting. If he got something that he wasn't going to use, then he generously passed it on to somebody who would use it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

My brother in law's girlfriend broke up with him on St. Stephen's Day, she waiting for him to give the presents and then broke up with him over the phone when he went home to visit his parents, he even bought her credit for her phone on Christmas eve so he paid for the breakup call, that girl has to be up there as the Queen as Sting.

My brother in law has now moved back in home (was living with the GF), he left a list for his mother of stuff to pick up for him when she's shopping, when he was asked about paying his way in the house he said "none of the rest of them had to pay when they lived at home, why should I?", he's 27 now. He also didn't buy any presents for any of his family but sulked when he didn't get any. He went into a strop with me as well cause I wouldn't give him "a loan" of a laptop, he has to be up there as the King of Sting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Clareman wrote: »
    My brother in law's girlfriend broke up with him on St. Stephen's Day, she waiting for him to give the presents and then broke up with him over the phone when he went home to visit his parents, he even bought her credit for her phone on Christmas eve so he paid for the breakup call, that girl has to be up there as the Queen as Sting.

My brother in law has now moved back in home (was living with the GF), he left a list for his mother of stuff to pick up for him when she's shopping, when he was asked about paying his way in the house he said "none of the rest of them had to pay when they lived at home, why should I?", he's 27 now. He also didn't buy any presents for any of his family but sulked when he didn't get any. He went into a strop with me as well cause I wouldn't give him "a loan" of a laptop.

Hmmmm, wonder why she would break up with such a catch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Another post about my OH's scabby cousin.

His parents bought him a really nice (and expensive) coat for Christmas. They also got him a pair of socks as a stocking filler.

Scabby fecker (SF): You shouldn't have gotten me those socks.
    SF's Mum: (thinking he meant the coat was expensive and they shouldn't have spent any more money) Oh don't worry about it, sure they're only a stocking filler.
    SF: No, you should have gotten me a scarf to go with the coat instead.

Didn't say thanks for the coat, in fact, didn't say thanks to anyone for their gifts (no surprise, he never does).

ARGH!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

My sister is becoming a really stingy cow. She left university about 2 years ago, and has a good, well-paid job as a hospital receptionist. Every month, she spends all of her money on cigarettes, booze and partying, then phones up my parents to tell them she hasn't enough left to pay her rent, and they pay it for her. She gets them to pay her car insurance, car tax, everything. She is living with her boyfriend, and the boyfriend's parents fill up their fridge with a month's worth of food every month, so they don't even need to buy food.

My dad recently won £800, and very kindly decided to divide it between my sister and me. He was on holiday at the time and phoned and told me he'd put £400 in my bank account when he got home in a month's time. However, during that time,my sister called my mum, saying she hadn't enough money for all the things she wanted to do, and would my mum give her more money. My mum was a bit skint at the time, so my sister persuaded my mum to persuade my dad to give her the full £800, leaving me with nothing. This, when my sister has a job that pays twice as much as mine. When I complained, my mum just told me jealousy is not attractive, and my dad, clearly worn down by my sister's nagging, just said, "Well, you don't smoke or drink, you don't need money as much as your sister does."

For Christmas, she bought me a box of fairy cake mixture. If that isn't bad enough she then made the cakes and fed them to her friends who had come over for christmas lunch, I didn't get any!

My sister has just gotten pregnant. I am not looking forward to seeing how much she expects my parents to contribute to the baby.

Also my sister was so fat that she got a gastric band, and she makes my dad pay off the £200 a month repayments for her. despite this, she doesn't even stick to the diet, and when she came to visit before christmas she made my mum spend £30 on chinese takeaway just for her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭ck83

My sister is becoming a really stingy cow. She left university about 2 years ago, and has a good, well-paid job as a hospital receptionist. Every month, she spends all of her money on cigarettes, booze and partying, then phones up my parents to tell them she hasn't enough left to pay her rent, and they pay it for her. She gets them to pay her car insurance, car tax, everything. She is living with her boyfriend, and the boyfriend's parents fill up their fridge with a month's worth of food every month, so they don't even need to buy food.

My dad recently won £800, and very kindly decided to divide it between my sister and me. He was on holiday at the time and phoned and told me he'd put £400 in my bank account when he got home in a month's time. However, during that time,my sister called my mum, saying she hadn't enough money for all the things she wanted to do, and would my mum give her more money. My mum was a bit skint at the time, so my sister persuaded my mum to persuade my dad to give her the full £800, leaving me with nothing. This, when my sister has a job that pays twice as much as mine. When I complained, my mum just told me jealousy is not attractive, and my dad, clearly worn down by my sister's nagging, just said, "Well, you don't smoke or drink, you don't need money as much as your sister does."

For Christmas, she bought me a box of fairy cake mixture. If that isn't bad enough she then made the cakes and fed them to her friends who had come over for christmas lunch, I didn't get any!

My sister has just gotten pregnant. I am not looking forward to seeing how much she expects my parents to contribute to the baby.

Also my sister was so fat that she got a gastric band, and she makes my dad pay off the £200 a month repayments for her. despite this, she doesn't even stick to the diet, and when she came to visit before christmas she made my mum spend £30 on chinese takeaway just for her.

Your sister isn't stingy. Most of the things you described above depict someone who is spoiled and selfish.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

My brother in law has now moved back in home (was living with the GF), he left a list for his mother of stuff to pick up for him when she's shopping, when he was asked about paying his way in the house he said "none of the rest of them had to pay when they lived at home, why should I?", he's 27 now. He also didn't buy any presents for any of his family but sulked when he didn't get any. He went into a strop with me as well cause I wouldn't give him "a loan" of a laptop.

Hang on, she's the Queen of Stinge?

He's the bloody God of it so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Smidge wrote: »

My dad does this constantly. When my paternal grandparents died, he got a share of the profits when the house was sold but he didn't give so much as a hapenny to myself or my brother. He never mentioned if we were included in their wills and he never even let myself and the brother look through my grandparents' posessions to see if we wanted to keep any momentos.
    At least when my aunt on my mother's side died I inherited some of her jewelary. It's not really about money- more about the principal.
    We aren't the only grandchildren they had but we weren't even considered. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

McChubbin wrote: »
    My dad does this constantly. When my paternal grandparents died, he got a share of the profits when the house was sold but he didn't give so much as a hapenny to myself or my brother. He never mentioned if we were included in their wills and he never even let myself and the brother look through my grandparents' posessions to see if we wanted to keep any momentos.

Why should you expect any moentary gain from your grandparents death, especially as your father is still alive? Do profits normally skip a generation??
    At least when my aunt on my mother's side died I inherited some of her jewelary. It's not really about money- more about the principle.
    We aren't the only grandchildren they had but we weren't even considered. :mad:

It sounds like the exact opposite tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

I have to say I'm well sick of the devil's advocates on this thread. Spoils the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,935 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

If God made them, he matched them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sleapy

ChickCool wrote: »
    a real stingy mate of mine constantly asks other girls for tampons when shes out, so she can collect them all month and wont have to bother buying them herself

Bloody stingy ;-)
    probably shouldnt talk about tampons.......... Period :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I was believing you until this bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I work in a nightclub and occasionally I get put on cloakroom duty. Now, its a very big exclusive type club. The entry fee is steep enough, about €10-€12 on a weekend as far as I know.

The cloakroom fee is €1 per jacket. Every single Saturday, I have the same exasperated man giving me grief that he has to pay to have his coat hung up. Will I take 50c? No the fee is €1. Sure take 50c, do me a favour? He just can't take no for an answer.
    He then proceeds to hand me one jacket with about 5 other jackets stuffed down one of the sleeves. An Umbrella and a scarf too.

I begin removing the jackets, explaining that the coat will be heavier on one side than the other and will likely fall off the hanger resulting in the jacket ending up lost. No, he wants the jackets kept in the sleeves please and thank you.

He arrives back at the end of the night, absolutely hammered, and hands me his ticket. Turns out he thought the €1 was a deposit and he wants his €1 back, along with the six jackets. He calls me every name under the sun, accuses me of robbing him and demands his money back.

One week The jackets had fallen off the hanger, he complained me to a manager despite the fact that I had warned him at the start of the night that it was likely to fall off when there was so many stuffed down the sleeves. If he had just paid the €1 for each jacket like he was supposed to it wouldn't have happened.

Its the same price (actually cheaper) than nearly all the other cloakrooms in the city and every bloody week he gives me hassle. He's happy to pay the €12 entry fee, happy to pay for overpriced drinks, but the €1 for the cloakroom is just too much for him.

I get way more hassle in the cloakroom than in the bar. It baffles me that people can be so stingy about €1 when they aren't obliged to hand their jackets in anyway - They're getting a service, why shouldn't they pay for it?

Rant over.

I was believing you until this bit.

What's so difficult to believe about that? I mentioned that in the "worst christmas presents" thread too.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

As much as I hate them both, I'd love to see the Queen as Sting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

What's so difficult to believe about that? I mentioned that in the "worst christmas presents" thread too.

What is a 'box of fairy cake mixture' exactly? Like, a bag of flour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

I'd say its one of those 'just add water' things...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I meant to put him down as the King of Stinge, oopsie, editted the post there to add him in.

To explain a bit more about my BiL, he's a scratch golfer but gave up the game last year when the golf club wanted to move him from a Student to a full member, they were willing to move him from his low fees to full membership over the course of 3 years, he just gave up the game, he went from playing 2/3 times a day to giving up the game altogether, not really sting as playing golf could be seen as an expense, but giving up something you love for the sake of ~€100 a year is a bit sting to me.

Yes, it's two little bags, one of flour and one of icing sugar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

I meant to put him down as the King of Sting, oopsie, editted the post there to add him in.

To explain a bit more about my BiL, he's a scratch golfer but gave up the game last year when the golf club wanted to move him from a Student to a full member, they were willing to move him from his low fees to full membership over the course of 3 years, he just gave up the game, he went from playing 2/3 times a day to giving up the game altogether, not really sting as playing golf could be seen as an expense, but giving up something you love for the sake of ~€100 a year is a bit sting to me.

Stop saying sting, it's hurting my heart.

A story of my own, a couple I used to work with used to demand our employers paid for everything in their apartment, they even brought in a received for a chopping board which cost the equivalent of €4 or so. Their reason for this was that they would only be in the apartment for 12 months so why should they spend money on it.

Our employers used to give us bonuses at holidays, take use out to expensive restaurants every month, organise weekends or days say a few times a year, buy us dinner three times a week at work and always gave us little gifts every few weeks.

These people were just so cheap and miserable that they complained if the free dinner wasn't what they wanted, bitched an moaned about having to walk 20 minutes to the school, questioned why other employees got a toaster oven for their apartment when they arrived and these miserable pair weren't offered one, they then demanded one despite being there 5 months at the time and having more than the €35 at their disposal that they'd need to purchase one.

When our employers asked them if they could give up one of their two (rent free) apartments for just one night so they could ready a spare apartment for a new arrival they refused. They told us they should be compensated financially to give it up. What they didn't know is that we let a new employee live with with us for one week shortly afterwards, as we had a shortage of apartments, and our employers (being the generous people they are) gave us the equivalent of about €300 for the inconvenience. We used the money to get our new employee drunk and well fed for the week.

This couple then had the cheek to e-mail our boss about 9 months later to ask for a job for a few months as they were travelling through the country and needed somewhere to stay and could do with extra cash.....she never responded to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

cloneslad wrote: »

Stop saying sting, it's hurting my heart.

A story of my own, a couple I used to work with used to demand our employers paid for everything in their apartment, they even brought in a received for a chopping board which cost the equivalent of €4 or so. Their reason for this was that they would only be in the apartment for 12 months so why should they spend money on it.

Our employers used to give us bonuses at holidays, take use out to expensive restaurants every month, organise weekends or days say a few times a year, buy us dinner three times a week at work and always gave us little gifts every few weeks.

These people were just so cheap and miserable that they complained if the free dinner wasn't what they wanted, bitched an moaned about having to walk 20 minutes to the school, questioned why other employees got a toaster oven for their apartment when they arrived and these miserable pair weren't offered one, they then demanded one despite being there 5 months at the time and having more than the €35 at their disposal that they'd need to purchase one.

When our employers asked them if they could give up one of their two (rent free) apartments for just one night so they could ready a spare apartment for a new arrival they refused. They told us they should be compensated financially to give it up. What they didn't know is that we let a new employee live with with us for one week shortly afterwards, as we had a shortage of apartments, and our employers (being the generous people they are) gave us the equivalent of about €300 for the inconvenience. We used the money to get our new employee drunk and well fed for the week.

This couple then had the cheek to e-mail our boss about 9 months later to ask for a job for a few months as they were travelling through the country and needed somewhere to stay and could do with extra cash.....she never responded to them.
    What did you work as? It all sounds absolutely insane, schools, apartments, new guys, toaster ovens?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    What did you work as? It all sounds absolutely insane, schools, apartments, new guys, toaster ovens?

I taught English in Korea...I learned them to talk the goodest.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement