Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭slowmoe

cloneslad wrote: »
    I taught English in Korea...I learned them to talk the goodest.

North Korea is best Korea! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BeerSteakBirds

I for one welcome our new Overlords ;)

Now gimme a job :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Ooh, he card reads good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

cloneslad wrote: »
    Stop saying sting, it's hurting my heart.

A story of my own, a couple I used to work with used to demand our employers paid for everything in their apartment, they even brought in a received for a chopping board which cost the equivalent of €4 or so. Their reason for this was that they would only be in the apartment for 12 months so why should they spend money on it.

Our employers used to give us bonuses at holidays, take use out to expensive restaurants every month, organise weekends or days say a few times a year, buy us dinner three times a week at work and always gave us little gifts every few weeks.

These people were just so cheap and miserable that they complained if the free dinner wasn't what they wanted, bitched an moaned about having to walk 20 minutes to the school, questioned why other employees got a toaster oven for their apartment when they arrived and these miserable pair weren't offered one, they then demanded one despite being there 5 months at the time and having more than the €35 at their disposal that they'd need to purchase one.

When our employers asked them if they could give up one of their two (rent free) apartments for just one night so they could ready a spare apartment for a new arrival they refused. They told us they should be compensated financially to give it up. What they didn't know is that we let a new employee live with with us for one week shortly afterwards, as we had a shortage of apartments, and our employers (being the generous people they are) gave us the equivalent of about €300 for the inconvenience. We used the money to get our new employee drunk and well fed for the week.

This couple then had the cheek to e-mail our boss about 9 months later to ask for a job for a few months as they were travelling through the country and needed somewhere to stay and could do with extra cash.....she never responded to them.

How do I get one of these jobs? any advice :) no seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

Merch wrote: »
    How do I get one of these jobs? any advice :) no seriously

1. have you got a degree?
    2. can you speak English?
    3. do you promise to try very hard not to murder children?

If your answer to all of the above is yes then you're fine.

2 yes answers out of 3 may also be fine, as long as the your two are for questions one and two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I worked in Korea as an English Teacher for a while too, and while my company were sound (although not to the same extent as cloneslad's seems to be), I have heard some horror stories too: withholding payments until overtime was complete, no heating in crappy apartments, not paying what was previously agreed, etc.

Stingiest i had from my time there was a korean guy who I drank with once, and we split a bottle of soju (korean alcohol, like weak vodka - 80cents a bottle). I thought great, he buys this, ill buy the next, no worries...instead he wanted to go home after one bottle and demanded i give him the money for the half I drank. I couldnt do anything but laught as I handed him 500won (40cents) in coins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

juan.kerr wrote: »
    I know a lad who has a metal detector fitted to his shoe so he can find any change on the foot path as he walks along. He wouldn't buy a bus ticket or use a Taxi so he walks everywhere.

He reckons it's helped him find at least 7 euros in the last 2 years.

I can't decide if this is just plain old stingy or absolute genius.

The sheer ingenuity of some people!

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

I can't decide if this is just plain old stingy or absolute genius.

The sheer ingenuity of some people!

Its just plain old made up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Tonto86 wrote: »

Its just plain old made up

Can people please stop caring whether stories are true or not. If their funny then don't hold back on telling the story. This is not judge Judy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,957 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Can people please stop caring whether stories are true or not. If their funny then don't hold back on telling the story. This is not judge Judy.

The thread title is "Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do", not "Stingiest thing you can make up a story about" ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭dorkacle

Me :pac:

Usually I wouldn't really count rounds or drinks/taxi fares when out with my close friends. If I have the money I'm happy to buy them a drink here an there and pay for taxis home etc. I am currently a student though and am never particularly 'flush' anyway.

(On some occasions I would be the only one with 'change' - notes smaller than a 50 - so I'd pay and just tell the lads to get me a gargle or get the next taxi or whatever..)

Lately though money has been a bit tight and I've been watching my spending. Its only now that I've properly noticed on a couple occasions with some people that there wouldn't even be an offer to buy me a drink in return or to pay their half of a fair, particularly had I payed the full. Before I'd just assume they forgot or something, but I'm starting to think they just expect this **** from me.

My friends normally aren't particularly stingy so I wouldn't be so inclined to ask for the money outright, but I've made the concious decision on some occasions to just not buy a drink in return etc. just to even out the odds a bit! :p

I don't place alot of value in money personally, (don't get me wrong I'd love to have loads of it!) so its not a major deal to me. You just notice it more when you don't have it! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

The stingiest people I've ever met were a Swedish family who I worked for as an au pair years ago. When you arrive at the airport it's your host family's responsibility to come and collect you and they should have been there to get me but they weren't. When I phoned them they told me to get a taxi and they even made me pay for the taxi myself although it was a really long way and cost about £50. Another of their responsibilities was to pay for me to have Swedish language lessons but they managed to get out of this by always putting it off, saying they'd arrange it in the future, but never did. They were about a month late with my wages, by which time I was running out of money. Several times I asked my host mother for my wages and she kept putting me off, so one day I asked my host father. He told his wife I'd asked him and she was really angry and yelled "How dare you go behind my back and ask my husband for money!"

The kept trying to get me to pay work expenses out of my own pocket. For example one day they told me to take the kids to a theme park and they gave me a tiny amount of money to cover the travel and entrance fees, telling me "You have enough money to pay for your own ticket don't you?" I didn't see why I should pay for my own ticket when it was a work trip and they hadn't even given me my wages so I said I didn't have any money. The mum begrudgingly gave me a tiny amount more. It turned out to not be enough to cover everything so when we were there there was only enough money for me to get the kids one meal to share between them, I had to go hungry. I was so starving when we got back that I ate a couple of eggs out of the fridge and my host father told me off for eating so much of their food.

They also used to make me work overtime and call it "family time" to get out of having to pay any extra. If they were going away for the weekend, they would tell me I had to come with them, even if I had other plans, and act as if it was because they wanted me to get to know their other relatives so I'd become part of the family. But then when we'd get there, they'd make me spend the whole time babysitting the kids while the adults got drunk and had fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

The stingiest people I've ever met were a Swedish family who I worked for as an au pair years ago. When you arrive at the airport it's your host family's responsibility to come and collect you and they should have been there to get me but they weren't. When I phoned them they told me to get a taxi and they even made me pay for the taxi myself although it was a really long way and cost about £50. Another of their responsibilities was to pay for me to have Swedish language lessons but they managed to get out of this by always putting it off, saying they'd arrange it in the future, but never did. They were about a month late with my wages, by which time I was running out of money. Several times I asked my host mother for my wages and she kept putting me off, so one day I asked my host father. He told his wife I'd asked him and she was really angry and yelled "How dare you go behind my back and ask my husband for money!"

The kept trying to get me to pay work expenses out of my own pocket. For example one day they told me to take the kids to a theme park and they gave me a tiny amount of money to cover the travel and entrance fees, telling me "You have enough money to pay for your own ticket don't you?" I didn't see why I should pay for my own ticket when it was a work trip and they hadn't even given me my wages so I said I didn't have any money. The mum begrudgingly gave me a tiny amount more. It turned out to not be enough to cover everything so when we were there there was only enough money for me to get the kids one meal to share between them, I had to go hungry. I was so starving when we got back that I ate a couple of eggs out of the fridge and my host father told me off for eating so much of their food.

They also used to make me work overtime and call it "family time" to get out of having to pay any extra. If they were going away for the weekend, they would tell me I had to come with them, even if I had other plans, and act as if it was because they wanted me to get to know their other relatives so I'd become part of the family. But then when we'd get there, they'd make me spend the whole time babysitting the kids while the adults got drunk and had fun.
    Hope you reported them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

You should email that post to them. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

cantdecide wrote: »
    Jaysus how could I forget this:

My mate gave me a thermal flask thing for Christmas last year. It was grand like but it had a rubber grip band thing that looked a little weird until I eventually used it and washed it and discovered that the band was inside out.

The hidden side of the band had a printed graphic from some local recruitment agency. My Chrimbo present was a free corporate promo flask:D

Love that guy though. Thriftiest guy I've ever met but he'd give you the shirt off his back if you asked so all is forgiven!

I dare you to ask him for the shirt off his back nxt year for Christmas lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

I was in subway a good few years ago. Ordered a footlong Meatball marinara...

So the bloke starts to scoop up the meatballs onto the roll, he gets to the last scoop (going with two meatballs per scoop up to that) and when all the meatballs are on the last one is pretty close to the edge of the roll.

Now i'm pretty sure there is a quota for meatballs per role, and i'm also pretty sure that this guy has miscalculated this quota as the last meatball is far to close to the edge of roll. I've gotten an extra meatball. I personally am delighted with the situation as you can never have enough meatballs.

He looks at me, looks at the offending extra meatball, looks back to me and then scraps the meatball from my roll back into the meatball container.

Never went back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭bbbbb

I saw this story & thought of this thread
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20957218
    More than 13,000 households across the UK are still using black-and-white television sets, according to the TV Licensing authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭bbbbb

More than 13,000 households across the UK are still using black-and-white television sets, according to the TV Licensing authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭faccid

Some auld one came up to me in McDonalds whilst I was drinking my tea and asked me for the free token off my cup. If you collect five you get a free cup of tea.. I gave her the token and 1euro thought maybe she was hard up. She then went around STILL collecting tokens!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

bbbbb wrote: »
    A lot of people pay that to stop the TV stoops coming to your house. Not really stingy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

faccid wrote: »
    Some auld one came up to me in McDonalds whilst I was drinking my tea and asked me for the free token off my cup. If you collect five you get a free cup of tea.. I gave her the token and 1euro thought maybe she was hard up. She then went around STILL collecting tokens!

I *cough* [feet shuffling], I do this too.. Not actively mooching about tables like a demented krone, but if a family is leaving and the adults have had coffee.. [peel] [peel] [inner glow of pickaroonie satisfaction]

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

snubbleste wrote: »
    Everyone knows, you cut out the paper surrounding the stamp, soak it in lukewarm water to seperate the two, dry, then glue it to the new envelope. Only works for unfranked stamps.
    I've found a better way.
    Sprinkle the stamp area with a few drops of water, heat in the microwave for 20 seconds. Peel off :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

I've found a better way.
    Sprinkle the stamp area with a few drops of water, heat in the microwave for 20 seconds. Peel off :)

or steam over a boiling kettle spout?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

shalalala wrote: »
    or steam over a boiling kettle spout?
    That takes ages!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

That takes ages!

nah. LIES

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I've seen people pick up old bus tickets to check if there's a receipt for change on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

faccid wrote: »

that always happens in mc donalds in rathmines, there are 2 old women that stalk the empty cups for tokens. my father in law collects them because he loves their coffee so i have a card in my wallet to collect for him. one day a while ago i was there with my wife and we both kept the tokens for her dad - queue filthy looks from the grannies
    slightly ot but i think mc donalds in rathmines must be an annex of dundrum mental hospital, some of the patrons in there are crazy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭dienbienphu

i was outside the cinema on parnell street the other day and a taxi driver, instead of starting his cab and driving up the rank, got out and pushed it. i couldn't believe it. i assumed he broke down. 5 minutes later he drove off. all i could think was ''what a cheapskate (and dirtbag) ''.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

i was outside the cinema on parnell street the other day and a taxi driver, instead of starting his cab and driving up the rank, got out and pushed it. i couldn't believe it. i assumed he broke down. 5 minutes later he drove off. all i could think was ''what a cheapskate (and dirtbag) ''.
    Or environmentally friendly and getting a bit of exercise :) is it really stingy if it's not affecting anyone else?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement