Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    In fairness I wouldn't pay for bottles of wine drank by others

Same, why not work out what you owe instead of paying for other peoples food/drink? Surely it makes them stingy to expect you to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

i was outside the cinema on parnell street the other day and a taxi driver, instead of starting his cab and driving up the rank, got out and pushed it. i couldn't believe it. i assumed he broke down. 5 minutes later he drove off. all i could think was ''what a cheapskate (and dirtbag) ''.

Maybe there was a problem with the car and the car would only start after it been pushed or he just managed to get it started second time round after pushing it. :confused:

Either way, labeling him a "dirtbag" over something that petty is just shocking carry on :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭dienbienphu

emzolita wrote: »
    :) is it really stingy if it's not affecting anyone else?

well ya it is. its a good insight into how he thinks so whatever poor soul gets into his cab is bound to be raped (financially speaking)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭dienbienphu

SunnyDub1 wrote: »
    Maybe there was a problem with the car and the car would only start after it been pushed or he just managed to get it started second time round after pushing it. :confused:

Either way, labeling him a "dirtbag" over something that petty is just shocking carry on :eek:

dublin taxi drivers have a reputation for being racist dirtbags

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

i was outside the cinema on parnell street the other day and a taxi driver, instead of starting his cab and driving up the rank, got out and pushed it. i couldn't believe it. i assumed he broke down. 5 minutes later he drove off. all i could think was ''what a cheapskate (and dirtbag) ''.

Start/Stop uses petrol faster than plain driving. Why start the car to roll 10ft?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

dublin taxi drivers have a reputation for being racist dirtbags

so that makes it OK to call him a "dirtbag" :rolleyes: ?

Not ALL taxi drivers are racist, some are just out trying to earn a living and then they have "lovely" people like yourself labeling them and calling them all sorts of names.
    You're technically just as bad as these so called "racist dirtbag taxi drivers" imo.

Anyways the thread is "stingiest thing you have seen people do" - what you just posted was not stingy but in fact the most ridiculous post I have read to date.

Have a nice day :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭stmol32

Taxi drivers have always done this.
    Where have you been?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

A lot of people pay that to stop the TV stoops coming to your house. Not really stingy.

Whats a tv Stoop:confused:

And how does a black and white tv protect you from them :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

I think it's so mean/stingy for someone to stay at your house for a few days (saving money on hotels and possibly dinners) and to not bring a bottle of wine/box of chocolates or some small gift to say thank you. Just can't understand how people can think that's acceptable. It's happened to me at least twice that I can think of....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,957 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

ronan45 wrote: »
    Whats a tv Stoop:confused:

And how does a black and white tv protect you from them :confused:
    I'm assuming a "stoop" is a TV licence inspector. in England (maybe in ?Ireland too) There are two types of License - Colour and Black & White. The Black and white license is cheaper, so if you buy a Black & White license the TV license inspector doesn't call and you save about £20 every year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Quazzie wrote: »
    I'm assuming a "stoop" is a TV licence inspector. in England (maybe in ?Ireland too) There are two types of License - Colour and Black & White. The Black and white license is cheaper, so if you buy a Black & White license the TV license inspector doesn't call and you save about £20 every year.

Thats not stingy.....thats feckin INGENIOUS

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭elgriff

Try over £100

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭RUSTEDCORE

I once saw a woman collecting for charity and giving little teddy bears to whoever donated 1.50 or more. A little girl told her father she wanted a bear. The man looks at the sign, puts 2 euro in the plastic bucket and says theres 2 it is 1.50 to get the bear is,nt it .... and he stands there bear in hand waiting for his change.

If his daughter wasnt there I might have punched him

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Quazzie wrote: »

That's pretty much it, except:
    It costs £145.50 for a colour and £49.00 for a black and white TV Licence.

When I was younger no one paid it so they would come out every few months and check every house except the few who paid for a licence. If they thought they heard a tv they would sit outside the house for hours to wait for someone to leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

I have a friend who has a few bob in the bank, and is always immaculately dressed - Tommy Hilfiger coats, really good suits etc.
    He is on the dole and trawls through the 2nd hand shops in phibsboro & town every fortnight. Was admiring his coat the other day and he told me he goes in dressed in raggy clothes so the charity shops give him a few bob off.
    He came up for christmas dinner at ours with one arm as long as the other as well. :(

Could be the starter is on its last legs so he's trying to help it last until he can get it fixed, cab off the road = no pay!

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭wordsmithi

Huggles wrote: »
    One of my mates is pretty bad. When we all go for a meal together she will take a calculator out and calculate her portion of the meal down to the last cent.

That must be the definition of being really mean.

I wonder how such people react when the esb bill or the phone bill comes. They must dread parting with the cash. It reminds me of a scene in Only Fools & Horses when Uncle Albert picks up the post in the hall, he sees the envelope of the bill and posts it back through his letter-box!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

That's a bit harsh imo. You have no idea precisely why he didn't choose to start the car with his key. As another poster said, it sounds more like a car problem (starter, alternator, spark plugs, problem with his ignition switch etc etc) than it does a stinge problem.
    One of my mates is pretty bad. When we all go for a meal together she will take a calculator out and calculate her portion of the meal down to the last cent.

Mixed feelings about that to be honest. Why should someone who doesn't drink, or who only has a salad, or who only has a main course have to pay for the dinners of the wine drinkers and the steak eaters, or those who have more than one course? I have a couple of friends who are vegetarians. They usually order the cheapest thing on the menu, as that is all that they can eat off it. Yet when the bill comes, they never raise a quibble about splitting the bill all equally for fear of being labeled a stinge. I have mentioned it a time or two on the their behalf. The ones who roll their eyes at me and accuse me of making a fuss are, yep you guessed it, those who had the steak, a bottle of wine each, the Irish Coffees and all 4 courses ! :mad: Just who is the stinge there?

( But yeah, no matter what you did or didn't have, busting out the calculator after each and every meal is bad form imo. :( )

Was in the housewares aisle in Tesco earlier today. Two men were there buying ironing boards, buckets, basins etc etc. One of the lads takes a brush (the kind you'd sweep your kitchen floor with) off the rack and begins sweeping the floor of the shop with it. I thought he was just using it to see how strong/effective the bristles were, and stood back and let him do this thing. He took his time, must have done the entire aisle, so his mate starts slagging him off about what he is doing. Genius with the brush then announces that he wants to get the brush good and dirty so that he can take it to the check out, claim that it has been used and get a discount off it. WTF thinks I?

I really though that he was taking the piss. There were loads of the brushes on the display. No cashier with even 2 functioning brain cells would fall for such a stupid scam, I thought. She'd just tell him to go back and get another "unused" brush, wouldn't she? But no, sure enough about 15 mins later I see him 2 checkout desks across from me, brush in hand and arguing passionately with the cashier. From her "I really couldn't be arsed fighting this one" demeanour, she seemed to be losing the battle.

Was utterly gobsmacked that someone would go that far to get a discount off something that only cost 6 quid in the first place. Oh well.....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Oops, sorry. Double post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

emzolita wrote: »
    is it really stingy if it's not affecting anyone else?
    Thats deep man..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

ProudDUB wrote: »
    That's a bit harsh imo. You have no idea precisely why he didn't choose to start the car with his key. As another poster said, it sounds more like a car problem (starter, alternator, spark plugs, problem with his ignition switch etc etc) than it does a stinge problem.
    No, it's a common thing.

The drivers in Rathmines have it easy - the rank is on a slight downhill slope.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Two reasons for this: think about how often you start a car as a taxi driver in one day, then multiply this out to get the amount of times per day, week, year that you''ll start the car. Every time you push it it saves on fuel, starters, alternators, batteries and various other components in the engine.

You could be waiting a while for a fare, the engine gets cold and starting an engine from cold greatly increases the wear on the engine and it's components. So pushing the car makes a hell of a lot of sense and as someone else says it's gets them some exercise.

It's not stingy or being a cheapskate, it's trying to save money in the running of a business, which is what any sensible business does.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Was in the housewares aisle in Tesco earlier today. Two men were there buying ironing boards, buckets, basins etc etc. One of the lads takes a brush (the kind you'd sweep your kitchen floor with) off the rack and begins sweeping the floor of the shop with it. I thought he was just using it to see how strong/effective the bristles were, and stood back and let him do this thing. He took his time, must have done the entire aisle, so his mate starts slagging him off about what he is doing. Genius with the brush then announces that he wants to get the brush good and dirty so that he can take it to the check out, claim that it has been used and get a discount off it. WTF thinks I?
    [/S]
    I really though that he was taking the piss. There were loads of the brushes on the display. No cashier with even 2 functioning brain cells would fall for such a stupid scam, I thought. She'd just tell him to go back and get another "unused" brush, wouldn't she? But no, sure enough about 15 mins later I see him 2 checkout desks across from me, brush in hand and arguing passionately with the cashier. From her "I really couldn't be arsed fighting this one" demeanour, she seemed to be losing the battle.

Was utterly gobsmacked that someone would go that far to get a discount off something that only cost 6 quid in the first place. Oh well.....:rolleyes:

At least the shop got its aisle swept for only €2.00. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

A guy that I previously worked with and was friends with was moving to my part of the country and asked me could he stay until he found an apartment/house. He said it would be 2/3 days max. I said grand.

A week before he was due to arrive he lets me know that he has a friend coming with him and says that it wouldn't really be fair for them to have to stay in a hostel and kind of guilts me into agreeing to let them stay as well.

I give them the address and they get a bus and ask me to meet them at the bus stop. Bus stop was 4/5min walk to my house. I walked to the bus stop because I was minding twins and it would have been quicker than bundling them into my car (which by the way is a 3 seater). I get to the bus stop and the look of disgust on the person he was withs face. She said 'have you no car?' and I said 'I do, but it wouldn't fit you, your bags and the kids and it's only a few mins walk'. First thing that bugged me.

One day I come home from work. Absolutely shattered. Looking forward to my favourite show on TV. Got into the sitting room and they are both there. Him sprawled over one couch (a 3 seater) and her lying on the other (2 seater). No place for me to sit. I grab a chair from the kitchen and I sit on it awkwardly while they flick through the channels and continuously pass each other the remote. Not once asking me if I wanted to watch something. IN MY OWN HOME!!

The SIXTH night they were there I ask them if they want something from the chinese. Of course they say and I order it and go collect it. The total came to 30 something for the 4 of us. They gave me the EXACT amount of money for each of their dishes, down to the cent. Now, in a normal situation I wouldn't care but I was told they'd be there for a max of 3 days. They didn't contribute to anything in the house. Used my milk, bread, and other food.

Went for a pint after said Chinese. Got to the pub and I had warned the OH not to get them a drink because I could see them not returning the favour but being the nice guy that he is, he asks them what they want. Both order a Guinness each. Drinks are almost done and the guy goes up to the bar. Returns with ONE pint for himself and the girl to share. She leaves and goes back to the house and he buys himself another pint, and another, not offering to buy myself or my other half a pint in return. He also mingled his way into a party that was on in the pub, helping himself to the finger food.

The next day I had had enough and I told him that I had another friend visiting and I had promised them they could stay. The look I got could have woken the dead. 'Fine'. Another 4 days later they are leaving and he says 'I'll need to order a taxi to move all my stuff' and I give him a local number. He says 'It'd probably be easier if you just brought our stuff over and we got the bus or you could drop our stuff and then collect us and bring us there'. I said No, that I couldn't take time off work to provide a taxi service and it would take me at least 3 or 4 trips.

I didn't get as much as a thanks from them. Haven't really spoken to him since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

^ Good riddance to them, if you don't talk anymore. How rude.

In college, the people who smoke go to an area out the back of the canteen, and there's this one guy who always says he's quit smoking, yet he smokes about 5 a day, asks everybody for a smoke, even people not on our course. Only seen him once with his smokes, never gave one to anyone else. Always asking people for money for food, a euro off one person, euro off someone else.

Anyway, we went out recently, to a club thing, 5 quid in, no big deal. Until this guy says(same guy) Oh I've brought no money with me so one of you will have to get me in and get me drinks, I'l pay you back when I've got it. So some fool did, free drinks all night. Hasn't paid any of it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

1st day in college 4 years ago, met this guy and we were getting on well so we were heading out that night, got a taxi to tesco for drink, he says can you pay for the taxi and ill pay you back, so I did, then when we got the drink, same again, then when getting out of the taxi on the way back he has the cheek to ask me to pay again, I say "can I fcuk, you get it, iv been paying for us all night", he takes out his money straight away and pays. he txt and rang me a few times after in the following couple of weeks, I ignored all calls and txts and blanked him anytime I saw him, no way was I getting stuck with a stingy person like that for 4 years.

Victor wrote: »
    No, it's a common thing.

The drivers in Rathmines have it easy - the rank is on a slight downhill slope.
    I suppose it makes sense to save the starter motor, otherwise they'll be starting it about 20 times to go a few hundred metres and go through a couple of starters a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

1st day in college 4 years ago, met this guy and we were getting on well so we were heading out that night, got a taxi to tesco for drink, he says can you pay for the taxi and ill pay you back, so I did, then when we got the drink, same again, then when getting out of the taxi on the way back he has the cheek to ask me to pay again, I say "can I fcuk, you get it, iv been paying for us all night", he takes out his money straight away and pays. he txt and rang me a few times after in the following couple of weeks, I ignored all calls and txts and blanked him anytime I saw him, no way was I getting stuck with a stingy person like that for 4 years.

He couldve let you sleep on the couch for the year if you'd just paid the taxi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    He couldve let you sleep on the couch for the year if you'd just paid the taxi

lol i had my own couch to sleep on, he commuted to college, i lived there, he would of probably ended up sleeping on my couch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

zef wrote: »
    I have a friend who has a few bob in the bank, and is always immaculately dressed - Tommy Hilfiger coats, really good suits etc.
    He is on the dole and trawls through the 2nd hand shops in phibsboro & town every fortnight. Was admiring his coat the other day and he told me he goes in dressed in raggy clothes so the charity shops give him a few bob off.
    He came up for christmas dinner at ours with one arm as long as the other as well. :(
    Surely most peoples arms are as long as the other?
    Anyway if hes on the dole, shopping in thrift stores makes sense. Why burn through savings if he doesn't need to.

Anyway more of a spoiled stingy storey. Coworker, lives with parents in naas, works in the city centre, dublin. Forgot her lunch today and was whining to her mother on the phone about it. Her mother drove in with it, more fool her.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement