Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

A guy that I previously worked with and was friends with was moving to my part of the country and asked me could he stay until he found an apartment/house. He said it would be 2/3 days max. I said grand.

A week before he was due to arrive he lets me know that he has a friend coming with him and says that it wouldn't really be fair for them to have to stay in a hostel and kind of guilts me into agreeing to let them stay as well.

I give them the address and they get a bus and ask me to meet them at the bus stop. Bus stop was 4/5min walk to my house. I walked to the bus stop because I was minding twins and it would have been quicker than bundling them into my car (which by the way is a 3 seater). I get to the bus stop and the look of disgust on the person he was withs face. She said 'have you no car?' and I said 'I do, but it wouldn't fit you, your bags and the kids and it's only a few mins walk'. First thing that bugged me.

One day I come home from work. Absolutely shattered. Looking forward to my favourite show on TV. Got into the sitting room and they are both there. Him sprawled over one couch (a 3 seater) and her lying on the other (2 seater). No place for me to sit. I grab a chair from the kitchen and I sit on it awkwardly while they flick through the channels and continuously pass each other the remote. Not once asking me if I wanted to watch something. IN MY OWN HOME!!

The SIXTH night they were there I ask them if they want something from the chinese. Of course they say and I order it and go collect it. The total came to 30 something for the 4 of us. They gave me the EXACT amount of money for each of their dishes, down to the cent. Now, in a normal situation I wouldn't care but I was told they'd be there for a max of 3 days. They didn't contribute to anything in the house. Used my milk, bread, and other food.

Went for a pint after said Chinese. Got to the pub and I had warned the OH not to get them a drink because I could see them not returning the favour but being the nice guy that he is, he asks them what they want. Both order a Guinness each. Drinks are almost done and the guy goes up to the bar. Returns with ONE pint for himself and the girl to share. She leaves and goes back to the house and he buys himself another pint, and another, not offering to buy myself or my other half a pint in return. He also mingled his way into a party that was on in the pub, helping himself to the finger food.

The next day I had had enough and I told him that I had another friend visiting and I had promised them they could stay. The look I got could have woken the dead. 'Fine'. Another 4 days later they are leaving and he says 'I'll need to order a taxi to move all my stuff' and I give him a local number. He says 'It'd probably be easier if you just brought our stuff over and we got the bus or you could drop our stuff and then collect us and bring us there'. I said No, that I couldn't take time off work to provide a taxi service and it would take me at least 3 or 4 trips.

I didn't get as much as a thanks from them. Haven't really spoken to him since.

The part about you coming home and finding them sprawled across the couches reminded me of a story that I heard in the Statees.
    It involved a landlord who wanted to get rid of a tenant. The guy was about 20 stone, didn't work, lay on the couch all day and wasn't paying his rent because his unemployment ran out.
    Anyway, a couple of months of that and the landlord had had enough. So he gave the guy his notice and told him to get out by x date. X date came and he was still there. The Landlord then gave him a warning and said that he would be vacating the premises by that weekend. So the Landlord arrived over and knocked on the door, no answer. After about 5 mins of this the landlord kicked the door in to find Fat Chops lying on the couch. What happened next stunned me and certainly stunned our fat friend. The Landlord tazered him! I didn't find out how he physically got him out but the lesson here is don't skimp on your rent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Surely most peoples arms are as long as the other?
    Anyway if hes on the dole, shopping in thrift stores makes sense. Why burn through savings if he doesn't need to.

I dont think it's the shopping in thrift stores thats in question here. It's the intentionally dressing in raggedy clothing when going into thrift stores to try and get a discount when he normally wears tommy Hilfiger that's the issue I would imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 8,183 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Surely most peoples arms are as long as the other?

'one arm as long as the other' or something similar is an expression use when someone is asked/shows up somewhere - like to another persons house for xmas dinner - and they don't bring anything with them as a gift

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I thought it was one arm longer than the other :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Thwip! wrote: »
    I dont think it's the shopping in thrift stores thats in question here. It's the intentionally dressing in raggedy clothing when going into thrift stores to try and get a discount when he normally wears tommy Hilfiger that's the issue I would imagine

I have a relative with Parkinson's that 'shakes up' in charity shops to barter down from the listed price. Not just charity shops, now that I think of it. Really hams it up, puppy dog eyes thrown in for free..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

A couple came into work last night and spent an hour and a half sharing a glass of guinness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Frynge wrote: »
    A couple came into work last night and spent an hour and a half sharing a glass of guinness.

were they french?

i was in the queue in easons in arklow yesterday when an old woman jumped the queue with a crayola set, she says to the chap behind the til 'is that reduced, its in the reduced section so must be ill buy it for my grandson' the young lad took it iff her and said to her 'well if its in the reduced section it must be, just hang on and ill scan it'. he scanned it and it wasnt reduced and told her someone must have just put it there. she lost the plot saying the usual shite about you have to give it to me it was in the reduced section. he explained that he doesnt as it isnt included in the sale.
    she was really chancing her arm but the real stingy thing was when she said 'no grandchild is worth the price of that' i couldnt believe it. it was only €19 for a big crayola set

Nope they were from cork. He ordered murphys first but my blank stare informed him we didnt have it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I was at a friend's 21st birthday recently. Our group had an area of a quite busy pub reserved from 7 onwards. As tends to be the case with these things, people arrive sort of late. In the meantime someone had asked to use one or two tables in the reserved area until a bigger crowd came along. We agreed provided they wouldn't mind moving when more people started coming.

We let them sit for about an hour until it got a bit busy at which point they left the area. When the food platters came out while later one or two of the group came in and tried to take some food. When confronted about it by me and another, they tried to claim they were a part of the party.

If there had been food left at the end as there usually is and they'd asked to have some it wouldn't have been an issue. Trying to steal though and blatantly lying about it after we'd done them a favour was particularly stingy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Nope they were from cork. He ordered murphys first but my blank stare informed him we didnt have it

Maybe they only got one drink because you were being an asshole.

• Advertisement

Maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BeerSteakBirds

Thwip! wrote: »
    he normally wears tommy Hilfiger that's the issue I would imagine

what kind of wanker ''normally'' wears Tommy Hilfiger ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

A guy that I previously worked with and was friends with was moving to my part of the country and asked me could he stay until he found an apartment/house. He said it would be 2/3 days max. I said grand.

A week before he was due to arrive he lets me know that he has a friend coming with him and says that it wouldn't really be fair for them to have to stay in a hostel and kind of guilts me into agreeing to let them stay as well.

I give them the address and they get a bus and ask me to meet them at the bus stop. Bus stop was 4/5min walk to my house. I walked to the bus stop because I was minding twins and it would have been quicker than bundling them into my car (which by the way is a 3 seater). I get to the bus stop and the look of disgust on the person he was withs face. She said 'have you no car?' and I said 'I do, but it wouldn't fit you, your bags and the kids and it's only a few mins walk'. First thing that bugged me.

One day I come home from work. Absolutely shattered. Looking forward to my favourite show on TV. Got into the sitting room and they are both there. Him sprawled over one couch (a 3 seater) and her lying on the other (2 seater). No place for me to sit. I grab a chair from the kitchen and I sit on it awkwardly while they flick through the channels and continuously pass each other the remote. Not once asking me if I wanted to watch something. IN MY OWN HOME!!

The SIXTH night they were there I ask them if they want something from the chinese. Of course they say and I order it and go collect it. The total came to 30 something for the 4 of us. They gave me the EXACT amount of money for each of their dishes, down to the cent. Now, in a normal situation I wouldn't care but I was told they'd be there for a max of 3 days. They didn't contribute to anything in the house. Used my milk, bread, and other food.

Went for a pint after said Chinese. Got to the pub and I had warned the OH not to get them a drink because I could see them not returning the favour but being the nice guy that he is, he asks them what they want. Both order a Guinness each. Drinks are almost done and the guy goes up to the bar. Returns with ONE pint for himself and the girl to share. She leaves and goes back to the house and he buys himself another pint, and another, not offering to buy myself or my other half a pint in return. He also mingled his way into a party that was on in the pub, helping himself to the finger food.

The next day I had had enough and I told him that I had another friend visiting and I had promised them they could stay. The look I got could have woken the dead. 'Fine'. Another 4 days later they are leaving and he says 'I'll need to order a taxi to move all my stuff' and I give him a local number. He says 'It'd probably be easier if you just brought our stuff over and we got the bus or you could drop our stuff and then collect us and bring us there'. I said No, that I couldn't take time off work to provide a taxi service and it would take me at least 3 or 4 trips.

I didn't get as much as a thanks from them. Haven't really spoken to him since.

The most fascinating part of this story is that you let these people spend 11 days in your home acting like that.

You act like a doormat, you'll get walked on.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

Why would you stare at someone blankly for trying to order a drink?

God forbid you might server anything other than Carlsberg, Heineken and Guiness...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Drakares wrote: »

Why would you stare at someone blankly for trying to order a drink?

God forbid you might server anything other than Carlsberg, Heineken and Guiness...
    Ha ha good one!! And they wonder why people have turned their backs on the pubs????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

Out having a few drinks at the weekend, and my Friend and I decided we'd get a pizza.
    Sitting in the pizza place, this one guy, dressed well, looked nice and groomed and wasn't overly sloppy drunk, he pulls a chair and sits at are table
    - "any chance of a slice of that pizza"
    in disgust I just looked and said "no I am eating it, go buy one".
    Guy - "ahh I've no money, any chance of a couple of euro towards a pizza" (deadly serious)
    at this stage I just ignored him.

Few minuets later we see him sit at another table, where a couple had just left and he picks up the remainder of what they had been eating from and starts eating it :eek:

I see similar situations nearly all the time when I'm out - people standing outside the takeaways asking randomers for a slice pizza or a chip etc :confused:
    If you have money to drink, you can afford a pizza and if you can't then go bloody home and make food if you're that hungry seriously :mad:
    Talk about been stingy as well as losing your dignity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

SunnyDub1 wrote: »
    I see similar situations nearly all the time when I'm out - people standing outside the takeaways asking randomers for a slice pizza or a chip etc :confused:
    Whereabouts do you live in Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

Squ wrote: »
    Whereabouts do you live in Dublin?

North Dublin - not that it's relevant as I see this happening in city center and other areas of Dublin I have been out in.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,222 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

North Dublin - not that it's relevant as I see this happening in city center and other areas of Dublin I have been out in.

Isn't that how a particular vocal girl, whos father is the highest paid partner in a particular firm, got started on a bit of a rant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

Just that i've been out and about a fair bit over the years and have never seen this.. Not doubting you, just weird..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Happens every week in Dundalk, scabs everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Out having a few drinks at the weekend, and my Friend and I decided we'd get a pizza.
    Sitting in the pizza place, this one guy, dressed well, looked nice and groomed and wasn't overly sloppy drunk, he pulls a chair and sits at are table
    - "any chance of a slice of that pizza"
    in disgust I just looked and said "no I am eating it, go buy one".
    Guy - "ahh I've no money, any chance of a couple of euro towards a pizza" (deadly serious)
    at this stage I just ignored him.

Few minuets later we see him sit at another table, where a couple had just left and he picks up the remainder of what they had been eating from and starts eating it :eek:

If you have money to drink, you can afford a pizza and if you can't then go bloody home and make food if you're that hungry seriously :mad:
    Talk about been stingy as well as losing your dignity!

Don't suppose his Dad worked for KPMG? :pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 71 ✭✭Zer0

My older brother has this friend that's notorious for being stingy etc.. The type of fella that'd ask ye to pick him up a few cans on the way to his gaf but never pay you back for them.. A fine example of his stingyness would be when he wanted a loan of €10 off another friend. This friend gave him the loan fair and square but expected it back when Mr. Stinge got his dole.. dole day came and no tenner.. 3 days later El Stingeo arrives up to the lads gaf with two house plants and three books, proclaiming that these amount to the €10 which was loaned.

The friend obviously unhappy about this explains that he'd prefer the tenner and not the actual items he offered as reimbursement.. This somehow offends El Stingeo as he gets the hump and just leaves the items in the lads sitting room and goes away home..

Another example would be when he rang this same friend asking for another tenner. He says fine I'll loan it to you if you pay me back. They both agree to the loan although Stinge says he can't collect the loan now and says he'll ring his friend for it when he's in the area..

Two days later no call... then the third day he rings the friend out of the blue at about 10pm, asking if he has the tenner. He says "no sorry paid rent and I've only a fiver on me." He goes, "oh that'll do will ya drop it down to me?" The friend unwillingly accepts but the catch is in order to drop him the fiver he had to get a bus into and out of the city center.. costing him about €3 something.. so the lend of the fiver equated to around €8 in the end! I think he's still waiting for the €5 to this day!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Zer0, I was really hoping that when the lad asked for the loan of a tenner the second time that your friend was going to give him back the two house plants and three books :pac::pac:

He really should have.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Sounds like a handy number they have, drinking guiness at work!

• Site Banned Posts: 71 ✭✭Zer0

Yeah I know ha.. I think he dropped them back up to El Stingeo's gaf a few days later as he had no use for them tbh..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

My OH's brother is stingy as feck; he has a real crappy attitude that he should be able to do what he wants and his parents shouldn't have an issue paying for it, because that is their purpose. He was a student until last May but never knew what it was to be broke - his mum always made sure he had pocket money on him, and he could somehow afford to smoke like a train. Yet when it comes to events like birthdays etc there's not a chance of him opening his wallet. He's coming 23, and my OH is coming 25.

Christmas 2011 he told my OH he wanted a set of headphones. So, when we did our christmas shopping, we got him a €25 pair - a similar amount to what was being spent on the rest of the family, plus we knew well that he wasn't going to be spending too much on presents. A week before Christmas, their sister tells him what he got (she was there when we bought them and was telling him in a you-better-buy-your-brother-a-present way). He came and confronted my OH and said, "I hear you only spent €25 on my headphones you tight c*nt!!" My OH is very quiet and non-confrontational and just stared into space, so I replied and said, "Why, what did you get him?" The answer was, "Nothing!" To which he was told where he could go!

Same happened this Christmas. It was our first Christmas living together so we went together on presents for both our families, and both families got us both gifts, nothing major but it was nice. We got OH's brother an ACDC collectors book, it was pretty pricey but a deadly present. Bear in mind OH's brother has been working full time since the start of the summer. What did he do? Christmas Eve as his mum was leaving for Tesco for a few last-minute bits, asked her to pick up "a dvd or something" for my OH. When it came to swapping presents that evening, he handed him the DVD, still in the Tesco bag.

Drives me mad because his friends and family are so generous to him and then he's as stingy as hell!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

I don't put any effort into my sisters Christmas presents as she doesnt either. Every year its either a cheap book or toiletries box or a dvd bought on Christmas eve and usually bought with money she borrowed off my mother.

Yet every year I get the text saying "f u need an idea 4a xmas prsent 4me i reeeeeeally need a..." usually something that would cost in excess of what i'd spend on the entire family who actually make an effort.

This year she asked for a laptop printer.

I bought her a candyflosss machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭DwightSchrute1

I am a twin, and when it was our birthday, we got a card from our uncle between us. The card had "Nephew" written on the front. Instead of buying a second card, our uncle added "s" so as to make "Nephews"!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

I am a twin, and when it was our birthday, we got a card from our uncle between us. The card had "Nephew" written on the front. Instead of buying a second card, our uncle added "s" so as to make "Nephews"!

That's not stingy, just practical!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement