Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭DwightSchrute1

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    That's not stingy, just practical!

That's the stingy mans motto!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I always have spent good money on getting my family good gifts for Christmas, despite not having much money for myself.
    My brother always gets me something he knows I already have so when I open the gift he just tells me he'll go and return it, which he does, but never gets me anything as a replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

I am a twin, and when it was our birthday, we got a card from our uncle between us. The card had "Nephew" written on the front. Instead of buying a second card, our uncle added "s" so as to make "Nephews"!

In fairness to the man I'd say it's difficult enough to get a card that says "Happy birthday Nephews", I'd say "Happy birthday Nephew" cards are thin enough on the ground as is.

And what with twins sharing all sorts of things (clothes, thoughts, women, that weird twin telepathy) this make eminent sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

That's the stingy mans motto!! :D

C'mon, sending two identical nephew cards would be preposterous!

You just have to accept that in other people eyes you and your twin are essentially the same person!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

My grandmother has told everyone in our family that whenever we give her a card, we mustn't stick the envelope shut, write on it or put a stamp on it. She re-uses the envelopes rather than having to buy new ones. This, even though she is always bragging about how she has so much money in the bank that she doesn't know what to spend it on. She refuses to give any to her grandkids, even though some are seriously struggling financially and says that even when she dies we aren't getting any, she's leaving it all to a cats home.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

... This, even though she is always bragging about how she has so much money in the bank that she doesn't know what to spend it on. She refuses to give any to her grandkids, even though some are seriously struggling financially and says that even when she dies we aren't getting any, she's leaving it all to a cats home.

To me that says more about her grandchildren than it does about her.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭abbeyrock

I have a friend who we caught out collecting the money at the end of a meal and using the tips to pay for his share.

snubbleste wrote: »

Why? She won't even give any to her own daughter who let the old one move in with her when she was widowed. One of her grandkids even left university early to come home and be a carer for the old woman. Another drives 200 miles across the country to visit her every holiday, but apparently no-one's doing enough. She's one of those miserable old people where nothing's ever enough for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

She's one of those miserable old people where nothing's ever enough for them.

You dont see the irony in this statement? As you complain about the Grandmother not sharing her money with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ronjo

You dont see the irony in this statement? As you complain about the Grandmother not sharing her money with you.

Where is the irony?

• Advertisement

I don't see what's ironic. She has a granddaughter who gave up the chance of a degree and a good job to come home and care for her, so the old one wouldn't have to go into a home. The poor girl gets nagged and moaned at all day and gets nothing but a carer's allowance and income support, and the old one won't even leave her a penny when she dies.

And her daughter, who allowed the old woman to move in with her and even built an extension onto the house to accomodate her, apparently also isn't doing enough to deserve any inheritance. I think that's pretty stingy.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,921 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

My opinion on this is this you look after your family member, without expecting a monetary reward at the end of the older persons days.

You do it because you love that person,irregardless of anything else.

Just my opinion.

It's not so much a case of a reward, as a case of her ingratitude. Her granddaughter has given up her life for the old woman and she isn't grateful. She sees her granddaughter struggling on a pittance purely so that the granddaughter can care for her, and doesn't feel obliged to help the granddaughter out. Her granddaughter was about to finish a law degree and already had an offer of a job with a law firm. She'd be making good money now if she'd refused to care for her grandmother. Instead she's living off benefits which don't cover her bills and has gotten £2000 into debt to survive. Still the old woman says the girl isn't doing enough and doesn't deserve any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,921 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Understand what you're saying, but none of us know what makes anyone act or be the way they are,in your case seemingly ungrateful.

But the sentence that stands out for me from your post is-> She'd be making good money now if she'd refused to care for her grandmother.

To me that implys it was something she wanted to do, she had a choice to be a carer or not. Just what I think anyway.
    Think we're spoiling the thread, apologies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭veryangryman

A great day for stingy stories all around im sure youll agree - and after so many weeks of hurt. Viva la stingy thread! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Understand what you're saying, but none of us know what makes anyone act or be the way they are,in your case seemingly ungrateful.

But the sentence that stands out for me from your post is-> She'd be making good money now if she'd refused to care for her grandmother.

To me that implys it was something she wanted to do, she had a choice to be a carer or not. Just what I think anyway.
    Think we're spoiling the thread, apologies :)

You'd be surprised - an aul one's chief weapon is guilt!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jammywammy

When my friend rings on the phone, as soon as I answer she hangs up to get me to call her back. She wouldnt spend christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

jammywammy wrote: »
    When my friend rings on the phone, as soon as I answer she hangs up to get me to call her back. She wouldnt spend christmas!

I assume you point blank refuse to call her back?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jammywammy

I assume you point blank refuse to call her back?

I used to get dead pee'd off about it. But now I call her back and when she answers hang up lol. It worked.....eventually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

jammywammy wrote: »
    I used to get dead pee'd off about it. But now I call her back and when she answers hang up lol. It worked.....eventually

Ha ha!! Nice one:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

My grandmother has told everyone in our family that whenever we give her a card, we mustn't stick the envelope shut, write on it or put a stamp on it. She re-uses the envelopes rather than having to buy new ones. This, even though she is always bragging about how she has so much money in the bank that she doesn't know what to spend it on. She refuses to give any to her grandkids, even though some are seriously struggling financially and says that even when she dies we aren't getting any, she's leaving it all to a cats home.
    snubbleste wrote: »

You're being somewhat harsh, krones love this carry on.. they often only have that left to control in their lives, the lure of the granny horde, 'fly fishing' for OAPs. You might get it, you might not, CAT PROTECTION LEAGUE, CAT PROTECTION LEAGUE, oh my, you're ever so nice today. You might get something, or maybe..

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Tunage

During the summer a gang of (12) German tourists wandered into one of our local bars that's known for having trad music. They came in, sat down, got a drink then asked when the music was starting. That particular weekend there had been a death in the community and out of respect they cancelled the music... Germans wanted their money back for their drinks. Sh1t u not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭RossPaws

The fella my aunt married is an awful stingey scumbag.

A couple of years ago he shaved his head and started telling people he had cancer. Once word had spread in the area (he was living in the same place the last thirty-odd years, was well known) he started going into the local café and shops, getting things half price or free when he'd tell them his tales of chemo and how sick he was feeling that day.

People obviously copped him fairly quick. He got banned from the café for a while, think the shop still lets him in.

He also volunteers at St Vincent de Paul so that he can "get first pick on the good stuff" which he then takes home with him without paying.

For a while there he was coming round to see my sister every week. He heard she was looking for a job and he comes over with a couple of A4 pages filled with details on how to get the most money in benefits and such without having to work. We kept the pages even when he stopped coming over because people actually wouldn't believe us when we told them he'd done it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Tunage wrote: »
    During the summer a gang of (12) German tourists wandered into one of our local bars that's known for having trad music. They came in, sat down, got a drink then asked when the music was starting. That particular weekend there had been a death in the community and out of respect they cancelled the music... Germans wanted their money back for their drinks. Sh1t u not!
    Respect enough to stop the music but not to close the bar. I see stinge there but from the bar to be honest. Why didn't they close it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Respect enough to stop the music but not to close the bar. I see stinge there but from the bar to be honest. Why didn't they close it?
    It's still a business regardless of a death.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Used to work with a bloke who would photocopy most of someone else's Irish Times than take it home with him to read, was around 1996/7 before the Times was online in a readable form, the waste of paper alone used to really annoy me, miserable git and again he had quite a well paid job and didn't need to do it, I despise mean types.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Zer0 wrote: »
    El Stingeo

Hmm, is it too late to change my username?

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Worked for a hungry builder who made a big deal about giving us a 50 pound note in a separate pay packet for our Christmas bonus. When the Euro was introduced the tight hole made it a 50 euro note.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Me and my friends are too stingy to pay for a taxi home on a night out so we just stay in McD's all night till the buses start again :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Me and my friends are too stingy to pay for a taxi home on a night out so we just stay in McD's all night till the buses start again :o

If im knackered after a night out then no amount of money is too much to get me home to my bed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement