Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

Theres this fella in my home town, I dont think he's quite all there. He is always chatty and I thought he was harmless enough. Until the day he came over boasting to me about seeing a girl laying down her wallet in the supermarket, waiting for her to go and whipping it. He also came boasting to me about finding a wallet on the street on December 23rd and finding €890 in it and bringing the wallet home and throwing the cards in the fire. Not sure how much you could believe but it wouldnt surprise me if he did these things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭narwhalthe

When one of my friend's was a kid, a guy came to the door with his diabetic little brother asking for something with sugar in it because they had nothing. The diabetic kid was nearly fainting at this stage. Of course my friend said no way once his mam grabbed his bottle of lucozade to give to the poor lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

narwhalthe wrote: »
    When one of my friend's was a kid, a guy came to the door with his diabetic little brother asking for something with sugar in it because they had nothing. The diabetic kid was nearly fainting at this stage. Of course my friend said no way once his mam grabbed his bottle of lucozade to give to the poor lad.

that could have been an emergency, my mother in law has diabetis and sometimes has to crack open a packet of mars bars in the supermarket to eat there and then, she pays for them with the barcode

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭slim223

I delivered a pizza earlier this evening and the customer convinced me they were short €4

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

I work in a shop and we constantly have people coming in trying to haggle with us on prices, its like they think we are a car boot sale rather than an actual business! One elderly woman stayed arguing with me over getting two euro off her purchase for ages, finally a guy comes in that she knows and asks him for a lend of two euro! He gives it to her and she seemed mighty pleased with herself.

The guy stayed only briefly and left but she stayed on browsing. She then came up to the counter and bought some bargain old Christmas stock which she paid for with a fifty!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

retalivity wrote: »
    If im knackered after a night out then no amount of money is too much to get me home to my bed

When you've spent all your money on drink then sometimes you've no other option :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

When you've spent all your money on drink then sometimes you've no other option :L

schoolboy error, i always keep €20 tucked away in my wallet so i can get home no matter how broke i might get

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

schoolboy error, i always keep €20 tucked away in my wallet so i can get home no matter how broke i might get

That's usually what I do but if I know it's there I'll spend it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭WellKiiid??

I borrowed a stapler off my classmate and used 2 staples! He asked me how many staples i used when i returned it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

I borrowed a stapler off my classmate and used 2 staples! He asked me how many staples i used when i returned it!!

did you lie and say 1?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

When the food platters came out while later one or two of the group came in and tried to take some food.

The done thing where I live is to provide enough food for all the patrons of the bar.

Stingy git

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Ladyblackadder

My friend works in a shoe shop and recently a guy came in and asked how much a tin of scotchguard was. After she told him, he seemed to be putting the tin back but she caught him starting to spray his shoes with it without paying for it. She says people frequently come in and steal shoelaces out of the shoes. How much are shoelaces, for heaven's sake?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

The done thing where I live is to provide enough food for all the patrons of the bar.

Stingy git

;)

I've never heard that....food is just for the people in the reserved area...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

My friend works in a shoe shop and recently a guy came in and asked how much a tin of scotchguard was. After she told him, he seemed to be putting the tin back but she caught him starting to spray his shoes with it without paying for it.

I do this in Boots, but with aftershave instead of scotchguard.

And i spray the neck area as opposed to my shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭wadefuq

When I was about 11 or 12 one of my friends fathers put a payphone in the house as they're house phone (this was pre mobile phone era)... Also one day my buddy grabbed an apple and he'd usually offer me one but this time he said he wasn't aloud, his dad gave out too him for giving away apples he'd paid for..all the time his fathers boat was sitting in the driveway

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Toiletries aisle in the local Tesco, quite late, about 10PM. Just myself and one or two other shoppers.

Turn into the aisle to find a well dressed, well turned out woman, late 40s, early 50s, doing a full face rub with a double finger wedge of Olay that has just been removed from a new item (unboxed), lid and jar balanced in her hand, foil peeled back..

Amusing twitch at the sight of me, puckered (guilty!) mouth, lid screwed back on, jar nudged gingerly into the back of the shelf. Sudden urge to survey the contents of her own trolley, waiting for the aisle to clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Illegally downloading music and videos putting people out of jobs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

A friend of mine told me of a barbeque she went too, the girls they went too had a bar and was charging them for drinks.

my friends boyfriend bought the food etc so this girl at the end of the night asked everyone for a euro for the food she didnt buy and 50c the nexy day to my friend for one of the drinks she didnt give enough for!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

efb wrote: »

Oh shut up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

itunes and amazon would have nothing to do with it at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

wadefuq wrote: »
    When I was about 11 or 12 one of my friends fathers put a payphone in the house as they're house phone (this was pre mobile phone era)...

That reminds me...
    A bachelor uncle of mine who was living in my grandfather's house back in the 1980s had a phone put in. He had a LOCK put on it so my grandfather and the various family members who would visit him wouldn't be able to use it. He was a tight git.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

I know of a multinational company who were flogging vouchers to poor sods who buy them in good faith as gifts and then telling them a couple of weeks later to Fup Off when they tried to cash them in! Stingy bastads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

When I was about 11 or 12 one of my friends fathers put a payphone in the house as they're house phone (this was pre mobile phone era)

Ive heard of a household that had this, about 12 years ago, the parents installed a payphone in the hall and got rid of the cordless one so their grown kids couldn't keep running up the huge phone bills. I think they were right though.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭stmol32

..... his dad gave out too him for giving away apples he'd paid for..all the time his fathers boat was sitting in the driveway

Wow! that is stingy.

He wouldn't give away an a apple even though he could have just hopped in his boat ....and ...gone ....fishing .... for ....more .........actually I don't think I get the connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭happypants

That's not the only reason people are out of a job, the fact that it is much easier to go onto iTunes to PAY to download straight to your device contributed to putting people out of jobs. Hmv didn't keep up with the changing trends.

Soon CD's will be obsolete all together. Such is life, what about the poor guy who made the cassette tape? Nobody gave a second thought to him eh!? :P

And for people who do illegally download it's partly due to the greed of record and film company's who put a huge mark up on prices which the artists barely see. That's stingy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sadderday

I know someone that will order their chicken curry and boil their own rice while waiting for it to arrive instead of paying 40c extra

I know someone else that wanted his mates to chip in for the cost of the lecky cos they spent so much time watching tv in his place

and.... heres one... a bloke buys himself a new tshirt, gets his haircut, a new pair of kicks and goes for pints with his mates on a thursday... and on saturday.. when he is taking you out for dinner and your all dressed up.. your having a trio in his car cos he is now 'skint'

mingbags

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

happypants wrote: »
    That's not the only reason people are out of a job, the fact that it is much easier to go onto iTunes to PAY to download straight to your device contributed to putting people out of jobs. Hmv didn't keep up with the changing trends.

Soon CD's will be obsolete all together. Such is life, what about the poor guy who made the cassette tape? Nobody gave a second thought to him eh!? :
    And for people who do illegally download it's partly due to the greed of record and film company's who put a huge mark up on prices which the artists barely see. That's stingy.

Oh so people do it to 'stick it to the man' - not cos its free???

Pull the other one.

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    Ive heard of a household that had this, about 12 years ago, the parents installed a payphone in the hall and got rid of the cordless one so their grown kids couldn't keep running up the huge phone bills. I think they were right though.

Years ago, for the standard Eircom touchpad models, there were third party 'plates' of metal or plastic, placed over the touchpad, secured with a hefty padlock, that left only the number 9 uncovered, to dial emergency services.

Oh so people do it to 'stick it to the man' - not cos its free???

Pull the other one.

You're going offtopic somewhat. Steam, XBox Live, iTunes store, Google Play Store, Bandcamp, countless other labels that now cater for niche audio formats and music styles.

HMV sold the hardware, iPad, Nexus, XBox.. popular hardware that was digging under their very business model. The idea that someone has to travel somewhere, physically, for their goods and services..

That is no longer the case. No piracy required.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭sungear

When I was about 11 or 12 one of my friends fathers put a payphone in the house as they're house phone (this was pre mobile phone era)... Also one day my buddy grabbed an apple and he'd usually offer me one but this time he said he wasn't aloud, his dad gave out too him for giving away apples he'd paid for..all the time his fathers boat was sitting in the driveway

Payphone, well if it stopped the kids running up bills, it was probably because phones back then were for necessary and urgent calls and to stay in touch with relatives far away.
    Not wanting to give apples away might seem stingy, but if everyone is taking them well then none left, get their own stinges, expecting free apples, its not like they grow on trees, well not they do but they aren't free, damn trees.
    As for the boat in his drive, maybe he was storing it for someone, maybe he couldnt afford to run it, maybe he could not sell it, maybe it was his dream to own a boat and his only joy in life to go out fishing once every few months??

who knows

I do know when we were younger, we had very little money growing up, yet other people with money would come borrow things off us which they were not prepared to buy themselves.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement