Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Amalgam wrote: »
    Years ago, for the standard Eircom touchpad models, there were third party 'plates' of metal or plastic, placed over the touchpad, secured with a hefty padlock, that left only the number 9 uncovered, to dial emergency services.

.....and you know what? yous where happy.....

Saying people download illegally is not because of greed from the record companies, noone does it for that reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I don't download because of record companys' greed, but if I do download something, and I really like it, I'll try to buy it direct from the artist, rather than giving a record company the money.

Most of what I download I wouldn't have bought anyway, or it isn't available to buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Amalgam wrote: »

Years ago, for the standard Eircom touchpad models, there were third party 'plates' of metal or plastic, placed over the touchpad, secured with a hefty padlock, that left only the number 9 uncovered, to dial emergency services.
    And every teen learned how to tap the phone to get around the lock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

Sadderday wrote: »
    I know someone that will order their chicken curry and boil their own rice while waiting for it to arrive instead of paying 40c extra

40c :eek: what Chinese is that from? In any of my local Chinese its anything from €2 - 3.50 for rice.

anyways either way that's practical not stingy.. why pay €2-3 for something when you have it already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

SunnyDub1 wrote: »
    40c :eek: what Chinese is that from? In any of my local Chinese its anything from €2 - 3.50 for rice.

anyways either way that's practical not stingy.. why pay €2-3 for something when you have it already.
    What Chinese are you buying from? Anyone I go to, boiled rice is included with the main meal and fried rice is 50c extra.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

But if boiled rice is included with the meal why would anyone boil their own rice? They wouldn't be saving anything if the rice is included in the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    What Chinese are you buying from? Anyone I go to, boiled rice is included with the main meal and fried rice is 50c extra.

This might be stingy, but because most places offer free rice or chips, I'll often get the chips so I get a free bag of chips, eat them, and boil the rice and heat up the curry or whatever later... Just seems logical to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 lou the wrench

had a mate once drove 3 of us into city centre for night out and parked in a multi storey we where walking up through temple bar just about to go into a nightclub and he said right lads i need 5 each for petrol and parking needless to say we laughed at him an cotinued on :mad: THE TWAT!!!!

" if you stuck a lump of coal up camerons ass in 2 weeks you'd have a diamond" - ferris bueller

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭markbld65

seen a lad in the uk once bought a mini metro for small money and resold it 2 days later for 3 times what he gave for it

i pop over to him and he is draining 2 pounds worth of petrol outa the tank before the buyer came for it

he actually had the car jacked up and drained from the tank under the car so he could get the last drop

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

TBH considering that the Chinese might not be using freshly boiled rice it's probably safer to boil you own ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,067 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

had a mate once drove 3 of us into city centre for night out and parked in a multi storey we where walking up through temple bar just about to go into a nightclub and he said right lads i need 5 each for petrol and parking needless to say we laughed at him an cotinued on :mad: THE TWAT!!!!

" if you stuck a lump of coal up camerons ass in 2 weeks you'd have a diamond" - ferris bueller
    Are you advertising your own stinginess?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭happypants

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    Saying people download illegally is not because of greed from the record companies, noone does it for that reason.

Granted its prob not a massive reason for most but there's defo a mark up in price when buying from shops compared to paying to download straight to your device.

Anyway back on topic: I worked with someone (I'll call Andy)who recommended a painter decorator to paint a few rooms in the unit we worked in. (Care home)

The person charged quite a few bob to paint 6 rooms, I thought it was a bit too steep myself and voiced this to my manager but it was approved anyway.

The cost was then divided between residents of the unit.

A few months later Andy let slip that he got his own house painted at a discount by the same painter the same week. That discount could have been used to lower the price for each resident rather than being used for Andy's personal gain outside of work. I suppose it's a question of morals really.

Another stingey thing that annoys me is when people come over for drinks and leave booze behind, if its a bottle of spirits or full bottle wine or something I'll always keep it for the person the next time they call over.

One person I know left a can of beer in the fridge, it ended up being drank at some stage,weeks had passed and said person came over and asked for their can. When I explained it must have been drank the person asked for the €2.20. Then continued to tuck into the pizza& nibbles I'd always throw on for guests. Ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Jesus, boiling your own rice and choosing chips with the curry is actually a decent little money saver if you're stuck. There's a difference between being stingy and being thrifty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

happypants wrote: »
    Granted its prob not a massive reason for most but there's defo a mark up in price when buying from shops compared to

One person I know left a can of beer in the fridge, it ended up being drank at some stage,weeks had passed and said person came over and asked for their can. When I explained it must have been drank the person asked for the €2.20. Then continued to tuck into the pizza& nibbles I'd always throw on for guests. Ffs![/QUO

why would you associate with such a person? as soon as I realise any mate is as tight as the guy you mentioned I ditch them straight away, lifes too short.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

Was in a bar in the states and left down a dollar tip for the bar man after getting a drink. He went to the other end of the bar and hadn't collected it yet, so when he came back to take my friends drink order, she picked it up and gave it to him as her tip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Jesus, boiling your own rice and choosing chips with the curry is actually a decent little money saver if you're stuck. There's a difference between being stingy and being thrifty.

If things are that tight you probably shouldn't be ordering takeaway in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Honey-ec wrote: »
    If things are that tight you probably shouldn't be ordering takeaway in the first place.

You're being very stingy on stingy stories there. Stinge or GTFO!

I used to work for a very wealthy solicitor who was the epitome of stinge. In the run up to Christmas, he invited us all out to dinner to a fancy French restaurant. When we arrived he made a big fuss out of (a) he hoped we all brought cash because we had to pay for our own dinners and (b) how proud he was to be a vegetarian.

I ordered the steak, bloody, and kept telling him how good it was as he was sitting beside me. Never worked for such a horrible git in my life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭Mouldy Mary

I know a man who splits matches. He spends hours splitting matches lengthways through the head so he can at least double the number of lights he gets from each box of matches. He tries to split each match four ways and rages when it doesn't work and he only can get two or three.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

I know a man who splits matches. He spends hours splitting matches lengthways through the head so he can at least double the number of lights he gets from each box of matches. He tries to split each match four ways and rages when it doesn't work and he only can get two or three.

Well I know a man who, when people come to his house he charges them for air, and if they dont pay he rages and chokes them until they spit back out his air. He also makes people pay for sitting on his furniture cos it ads wear and tear.

Maybe its the same man? :eek:

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭dienbienphu

I bought a car there recently. the guy who sold it to me thought he was a funny man. I met him in a car park to pick it up and after I gave him the money he walked off snearing. after driving about 50 metres down the road it ran out of petrol. he thought he was clever out.
    the following few days I drove through the motorway toll bridge without paying, about 12 times in total until I registered the car in my name. he rang me up asking me to pay the bill and I laughed down the phone at him and hung up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

I bought a car there recently. the guy who sold it to me thought he was a funny man. I met him in a car park to pick it up and after I gave him the money he walked off snearing. after driving about 50 metres down the road it ran out of petrol. he thought he was clever out.
    the following few days I drove through the motorway toll bridge without paying, about 12 times in total until I registered the car in my name. he rang me up asking me to pay the bill and I laughed down the phone at him and hung up.

LEGEND

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭Chao

That's beautiful!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

bravo to you Sir, bravo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭SEAN_DUB

I know a guy who bummed a lift home from college off me in the opposite direction and spent the time telling me of the time he charged his 'mates' 10 each for a lift home and halfway pretended to feel a pull in the steering wheel, dumped them at the side of the road and went home 40 quid heavier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

SEAN_DUB wrote: »
    I know a guy who bummed a lift home from college off me in the opposite direction and spent the time telling me of the time he charged his 'mates' 10 each for a lift home and halfway pretended to feel a pull in the steering wheel, dumped them at the side of the road and went home 40 quid heavier.

i presume you 'dumped' him at the side of the road the second after he told you this

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭mossy95

I was buying tickets 15 euro each for concert to see 'Teds band from scrubs' (The Blanks) preform in the Helix.
    I bought the tickets online and my freinds agreed to pay me back on the day. All but one stingy freind decided not to pay me back.
    As he decided out of the blue he did not have to pay me because when we were in 1st year we had a not so serious bet on a chess game and I didnt pay it was about 5 euro and he after 5 years just brings it up now and says that other transport costs and other things add up to pay the ticket (im always buying his bus tickets).
    Needless to say I was furious of him not buying the ticket for the concert!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

mossy95 wrote: »
    I was buying tickets 15 euro each for concert to see 'Teds band from scrubs' (The Blanks) preform in the Helix.
    I bought the tickets online and my freinds agreed to pay me back on the day. All but one stingy freind decided not to pay me back.
    As he decided out of the blue he did not have to pay me because when we were in 1st year we had a not so serious bet on a chess game and I didnt pay it was about 5 euro and he after 5 years just brings it up now and says that other transport costs and other things add up to pay the ticket (im always buying his bus tickets).
    Needless to say I was furious of him not buying the ticket for the concert!

You told him where to go right???

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

happypants wrote: »
    Anyway back on topic: I worked with someone (I'll call Andy)who recommended a painter decorator to paint a few rooms in the unit we worked in. (Care home)

The person charged quite a few bob to paint 6 rooms, I thought it was a bit too steep myself and voiced this to my manager but it was approved anyway.

The cost was then divided between residents of the unit.

A few months later Andy let slip that he got his own house painted at a discount by the same painter the same week. That discount could have been used to lower the price for each resident rather than being used for Andy's personal gain outside of work. I suppose it's a question of morals really.
    That's fraud, not stinge. I'm guessing the discount on his home approached 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭phill106

efb wrote: »
    Illegally downloading music and videos putting people out of jobs

Worldwide Music Industry Revenues:
    2006 ($60.7 billion),
    2007 ($61.5 billion),
    2008 ($62.6 billion),
    2009 ($65.0 billion),
    2010 ($66.4 billion),
    2011 ($67.6 billion)

Year on year profit increases, doesn't seem to be doing too bad...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭veryangryman

phill106 wrote: »

Worldwide Music Industry Revenues:
    2006 ($60.7 billion),
    2007 ($61.5 billion),
    2008 ($62.6 billion),
    2009 ($65.0 billion),
    2010 ($66.4 billion),
    2011 ($67.6 billion)

Year on year profit increases, doesn't seem to be doing too bad...
    Dam right. Rip off industry followed closely by music. The man on the street finally getting karma.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement