Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

phill106 wrote: »
    Worldwide Music Industry Revenues:
    2006 ($60.7 billion),
    2007 ($61.5 billion),
    2008 ($62.6 billion),
    2009 ($65.0 billion),
    2010 ($66.4 billion),
    2011 ($67.6 billion)

Year on year profit increases, doesn't seem to be doing too bad...

TBF even buying online affects jobs. These figures do not reflect the amount of jobs created.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭mossy95

Thwip! wrote: »
    You told him where to go right???

We were already driving up when he said his excuse for not paying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

mossy95 wrote: »

You didn't give him a free ticket, do you? STINGE ENABLER!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I bought a car there recently. the guy who sold it to me thought he was a funny man. I met him in a car park to pick it up and after I gave him the money he walked off snearing. after driving about 50 metres down the road it ran out of petrol. he thought he was clever out.
    the following few days I drove through the motorway toll bridge without paying, about 12 times in total until I registered the car in my name. he rang me up asking me to pay the bill and I laughed down the phone at him and hung up.

more fool him for giving you the logbook, rather than send it off himself...was he saving the price of a stamp and envelope do you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Sadderday wrote: »
    I know someone that will order their chicken curry and boil their own rice while waiting for it to arrive instead of paying 40c extra

This person wouldn't have been dropped on their head at any point, would they?

I assume they don't get their own rice free, nor do they get free electricity to cook it..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I bought a car there recently. the guy who sold it to me thought he was a funny man. I met him in a car park to pick it up and after I gave him the money he walked off snearing. after driving about 50 metres down the road it ran out of petrol. he thought he was clever out.
    the following few days I drove through the motorway toll bridge without paying, about 12 times in total until I registered the car in my name. he rang me up asking me to pay the bill and I laughed down the phone at him and hung up.
    Rubbish!! The seller sends off the registration document.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭viztopia

I have a cousin who used to work in kingspan in cavan. He told me a story about a co worker who would come into work with an empty flask boil a kettle and bring home a full flask of hot water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

mossy95 wrote: »
    And that's when you leave his stingey ass outside the concert and keep the extra ticket

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

viztopia wrote: »
    I have a cousin who used to work in kingspan in cavan. He told me a story about a co worker who would come into work with an empty flask boil a kettle and bring home a full flask of hot water.
    And that folks is how you take electricity home in a bucket :pac:

Thwip! wrote: »
    And that's when you leave his stingey ass outside the concert and keep the extra ticket

I had a similiar incident occur. After buying tickets for myself and three friends I found myself in a situation where on the night of the gig one of my friends hasn't paid me for the ticket. Outside the venue I asked him once again for the money for the ticket and he informed me that I owed him money from years back when he'd bought me a pint and another time when at a party at his house I drank three of his beers. Now over the years I'd bought him more than my fair share of drinks and anytime he'd been over at mine he would have a few of my beers and food. All the other guys with us were telling him to pay what he owed as I the ticket cost nearly 50 euros. The tick refused to pay me what I was owed and as we were arguing over it I saw a girl looking to buy a ticket and was trying to convince Tout to sell her one at face value.

I told my friend he had one last chance to lay me for the ticket and he again refused. I took the ticket out of my pocket and went over to the girl and handed it to her telling her to enjoy the show. She offered me money for it but I didnt want anything for it. told her that someday she would be in a position to di something nice for someone and her going so would be payment enough.

My friend made a massive scene and went fo far as to accuse the girl of stealing off him. When security came over he pointed her out and told them she had his ticket so I intervened and explained the situation. Myself and my other friends went into the gig and left a rather sad and lonely little man outside on his own. He ended up paying a tout nearly twice face value for a ticket but when he found us inside I told the lads that if they wanted to hang out with him then I was going to find another place to enjoy the gig from. We all left him alone and I haven't so much as spoken to him in nearly seven years. I can't abide people who refuse to pay their way and when called on it will use every excuse to try and weasel their way out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

On the subject of tickets, I hate when you buy everyone's tickets together (to make sure you're all sitting together at seated events, or all at the same entrance in the O2 for example) and people don't pay you back til the day of the gig. Shows go on sale up to a year beforehand - why should I essentially loan you €50 for a year?! :mad:

(I count this as stingy, even though they pay back in the end, because they're basically keeping your money for months on end...)

On the subject of tickets, I hate when you buy everyone's tickets together (to make sure you're all sitting together at seated events, or all at the same entrance in the O2 for example) and people don't pay you back til the day of the gig. Shows go on sale up to a year beforehand - why should I essentially loan you €50 for a year?! :mad:

(I count this as stingy, even though they pay back in the end, because they're basically keeping your money for months on end...)

Most people either give you the money before you order the tickets or soon after but there always seems to be one dick who thinks its acceptable to pay you when it suits them which is why anytime I've done it I've held on to the tickets till after I got paid. Well that's not true, what I mean is that there are certain people I would never give a ticket to till I was paid for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

I had a similiar incident occur. After buying tickets for myself and three friends I found myself in a situation where on the night of the gig one of my friends hasn't paid me for the ticket. Outside the venue I asked him once again for the money for the ticket and he informed me that I owed him money from years back when he'd bought me a pint and another time when at a party at his house I drank three of his beers. Now over the years I'd bought him more than my fair share of drinks and anytime he'd been over at mine he would have a few of my beers and food. All the other guys with us were telling him to pay what he owed as I the ticket cost nearly 50 euros. The tick refused to pay me what I was owed and as we were arguing over it I saw a girl looking to buy a ticket and was trying to convince Tout to sell her one at face value.

I told my friend he had one last chance to lay me for the ticket and he again refused. I took the ticket out of my pocket and went over to the girl and handed it to her telling her to enjoy the show. She offered me money for it but I didnt want anything for it. told her that someday she would be in a position to di something nice for someone and her going so would be payment enough.

My friend made a massive scene and went fo far as to accuse the girl of stealing off him. When security came over he pointed her out and told them she had his ticket so I intervened and explained the situation. Myself and my other friends went into the gig and left a rather sad and lonely little man outside on his own. He ended up paying a tout nearly twice face value for a ticket but when he found us inside I told the lads that if they wanted to hang out with him then I was going to find another place to enjoy the gig from. We all left him alone and I haven't so much as spoken to him in nearly seven years. I can't abide people who refuse to pay their way and when called on it will use every excuse to try and weasel their way out.

Pity you didn't get the girl as well, just to really increase his misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

The real beauty of this story is giving the ticket away for free. It's a really nice thing to do, but even better it such a sickener on the miserable git. Probably my favourite story so far on this thread.

Ronin247 wrote: »
    Pity you didn't get the girl as well, just to really increase his misery.

I think my girlfriend may have had something to if I had....
    The real beauty of this story is giving the ticket away for free. It's a really nice thing to do, but even better it such a sickener on the miserable git. Probably my favourite story so far on this thread.

I'd have sooner tore it up than give it to the tight git. As I saw it I was already out of pocket and the girl was obviously a fan who would appreciate the gesture whereas misery guts wouldn't even have said do much as thank you had I given it to him for free. Watching him have a near heart attack was worth the cost if the ticket. The saddest thing is that I have a few more stories about stingy people like him, a few are even tighter and I always find it sad to see such people and the miserable lives they lead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

what was the gig out of a mater of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

One Direction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BeerSteakBirds

One Direction

My perception of the whole story has changed dramatically since receiving that piece of information. Now I think the greatest punishment is to have attended that gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

The saddest thing is that I have a few more stories about stingy people like him, a few are even tighter

Don't be stingy with the stinge, out with them!

It was Eels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Was In tesco in finglas yesterday..
    Im at the Bakery section... This lady with 3 kids wanders over beside me. And i notice her grabbing 3 Chocolate topped donuts with bare hands. They looked like they were Tesco Premium Range they were in a fancy display i think called "Tim Horton Cakes"

"Noeww eatttt demmm quickkkk make sureee no one sees yaaaaa"

Hmmmm I guess its not stealing if your under 10 :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

ronan45 wrote: »
    Was In tesco in finglas yesterday..
    Im at the Bakery section... This lady with 3 kids wanders over beside me. And i notice her grabbing 3 Chocolate topped donuts with bare hands. They looked like they were Tesco Premium Range they were in a fancy display i think called "Tim Horton Cakes"
    Hmmmm I guess its not stealing if your under 10 :cool:

That's not stingey, that's blatant theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

ronan45 wrote: »

I have no idea how to pronounce this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

reminds me of a neighbour of mine, shes a GP and her husband is a wealthy farmer with hundreds of acres of land, she goes to tesco late at night to buy the stale doughnuts because they are cheaper at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Sadderday wrote: »
    and.... heres one... a bloke buys himself a new tshirt, gets his haircut, a new pair of kicks and goes for pints with his mates on a thursday... and on saturday.. when he is taking you out for dinner and your all dressed up.. your having a trio in his car cos he is now 'skint'

mingbags
    "kicks" and "trios"? Christ, I'm getting old :(

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jammywammy

Cienciano wrote: »
    "kicks" and "trios"? Christ, I'm getting old :(
    Kicks is shoes I think and trio....i think thats a 'three in one'. I thought the same when I read it. Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Elfinknight

wadefuq wrote: »
    When I was about 11 or 12 one of my friends fathers put a payphone in the house as they're house phone (this was pre mobile phone era)... Also one day my buddy grabbed an apple and he'd usually offer me one but this time he said he wasn't aloud, his dad gave out too him for giving away apples he'd paid for..all the time his fathers boat was sitting in the driveway

How long ago was that?

I remember that when I growing up, my uncle had a payphone in his house.

He'd had it put in during the 60s and when he was getting it in P&T had asked him to take the pay phone because they were a rare thing at the time. There were only 4 or 5 in the whole parish at the time.

If any the neighbours needed to use it they would just call over to use it and pay for their calls like any other payphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭wadefuq

How long ago was that?

I remember that when I growing up, my uncle had a payphone in his house.

He'd had it put in during the 60s and when he was getting it in P&T had asked him to take the pay phone because they were a rare thing at the time. There were only 4 or 5 in the whole parish at the time.

If any the neighbours needed to use it they would just call over to use it and pay for their calls like any other payphone.

It was in the 90s, just a couple of yrs before the mobiles took off.. thinkin back there were 4 teenagers in the house so maybe he was just being sensible.. there can be a fine line line between being sensible and stingy at times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I saw what the other poster mentioned today in tescos as well. Was in the one in rathmines getting lunch, couple of ladies at the back with bakery stuff in the clear bags, came into the aisle and they were eating it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Clondalphian

This just happened about 20 minutes ago. Myself and 2 of my friends were getting a taxi home.Cost to drop us all off would be 10 maximum. I hand over 4 euro,other mate hands over 3/4 euro. The last fella decides to tell the taxi driver we only have 6 euro altogether to drop us home. The guy trying to rip off the taxi driver is the only one of us with a job too.He had over 10 euro on him but insisted on telling the driver we only had 6. We quickly told him to cop the fcuk up and we told the taxi driver we had enough to cover the fare

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement