Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

jammywammy wrote: »
    Kicks is shoes I think and trio....i think thats a 'three in one'. I thought the same when I read it. Lol

Will people please stop saying 3 in 1 to describe food!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jammywammy

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

But that's what it's called. In that case I might start calling spaghetti "stringy flour laces with roundy knobbly meat bits".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

I know a man who splits matches. He spends hours splitting matches lengthways through the head so he can at least double the number of lights he gets from each box of matches. He tries to split each match four ways and rages when it doesn't work and he only can get two or three.

That kind of thing used to go on in prisons where matches are scarce. One soldier in the Curragh charged a prisoner 75p (about a euro) for two matches in the 1970s. (A pint of beer could be bought in a pub for 30p at the time.)
    One prisoner in the Curragh used to be able to split a match 8 ways using his thumbnail.
    Your guy is just a beginner.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

The morning after a birthday party a couple of years ago, we went for the hair of the dog. Started rounds between the eight of us. One of our party was getting boisterous, so after pint number 7 , we had to leave one of the bars because they had had enough of him in there. Anyway as we walk to the next pub, one of the lads (Mark) asks are we finished with rounds now. I said yeah I suppose if everyone has bought one. After we each bought a pint in the next pint, I was informed by another member of the party that Mark had not bought his round. The guy had had 7 pints bought for him and thought he could get away with not buying back. This guy was the only one of the group earning, and earning a decent amount in a job he needed a masters to get, while the rest of us were students.

He then decided he wanted to get a bus back home to Galway (From Dublin) at midnight, but had left his stuff in my apartment. He said he'd get a taxi to mine and then back to the pub to return the keys to me. I said I didn't want to give him the keys, but he promised he'd get the taxi there and back. I reluctantly agreed. He got in the taxi and doesn't come back. I ring him and he says he's at the bus station. He left the keys with the drunkest member of our party that had gone missing and that he found outside my apartment. He let him in and told him to let us in when we knock, so he wouldn't have to pay extra to get the taxi back to the pub, which was on the way to the bus station anyway. Naturally the guy he left the keys with passed out and couldn't hear us knocking on the door or calling his phone. We ended up staying in a hostel.

I was displeased

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Yillan wrote: »
    The morning after a birthday party a couple of years ago, we went for the hair of the dog. Started rounds between the eight of us. One of our party was getting boisterous, so after pint number 7 , we had to leave one of the bars because they had had enough of him in there. Anyway as we walk to the next pub, one of the lads (Mark) asks are we finished with rounds now. I said yeah I suppose if everyone has bought one. After we each bought a pint in the next pint, I was informed by another member of the party that Mark had not bought his round. The guy had had 7 pints bought for him and thought he could get away with not buying back. This guy was the only one of the group earning, and earning a decent amount in a job he needed a masters to get, while the rest of us were students.

He then decided he wanted to get a bus back home to Galway (From Dublin) at midnight, but had left his stuff in my apartment. He said he'd get a taxi to mine and then back to the pub to return the keys to me. I said I didn't want to give him the keys, but he promised he'd get the taxi there and back. I reluctantly agreed. He got in the taxi and doesn't come back. I ring him and he says he's at the bus station. He left the keys with the drunkest member of our party that had gone missing and that he found outside my apartment. He let him in and told him to let us in when we knock, so he wouldn't have to pay extra to get the taxi back to the pub, which was on the way to the bus station anyway. Naturally the guy he left the keys with passed out and couldn't hear us knocking on the door or calling his phone. We ended up staying in a hostel.

I was displeased

Serves you right for not confronting him about the round he owed. When he asked for the keys you should have said get the round in that you owe everyone first, and when he got the round in tell him he can have the keys when you are ready to go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

Serves you right for not confronting him about the round he owed. When he asked for the keys you should have said get the round in that you owe everyone first, and when he got the round in tell him he can have the keys when you are ready to go home.

Once confronted he bought the round.

Re giving him the keys, I didn't want him whinging about wanting to go home for the rest of the night. He's an arsehole you see

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jammywammy

Ohhhhh right...I see. :) Still.....if someone was talking about a three in one, the first thing that comes to mind is food. Also, Id rather WD40

• Registered Users Posts: 16,629 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

A friend of mine in university used to order a plate of chips with two sausages in the canteen. When you ordered sausages, the actual plate the food was served on was bigger than the plate just for chips. Then, between the hot food area and the till, he'd eat one, and only have to pay for one.

Same guy used to buy doughnuts in supervalu. At the time the ones filled with chocolate were about 10p more expensive than the plain ones, so he'd find the one with the smallest hole where the chocolate had been injected, then make sure that when he put it into the small clear plastic bag, he'd make sure that when he twisted the bag closed, the twisted part would cover the hole in the doughnut. Most of the time the cashier would just give it a quick look and he'd pay the cheaper price.

I think it wasn't so much of saving money or being stingy, and more a case of 'getting away with it'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

This just happened about 20 minutes ago. Myself and 2 of my friends were getting a taxi home.Cost to drop us all off would be 10 maximum. I hand over 4 euro,other mate hands over 3/4 euro. The last fella decides to tell the taxi driver we only have 6 euro altogether to drop us home. The guy trying to rip off the taxi driver is the only one of us with a job too.He had over 10 euro on him but insisted on telling the driver we only had 6. We quickly told him to cop the fcuk up and we told the taxi driver we had enough to cover the fare

Bad alright.
    I wouldnt have anything to do with him anymore. He wasnt just trying to screw over the taxi driver. He was trying to screw over you and your other friend. As he wanted you guys to pay for his taxi fare home (and there he is the only one working too)

Can't really trust a bloke like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

talk about canteen and sausages reminds me of a story from a couple of years ago.

I was doing a fas course as a prescursor to a job for a few months back in 2005.
    As it was fas, they had a canteen and everything was subsidised. Cant remember exactly what it was, but the breakfast used to be around 75c. For one of the other lads, this was still too much: He used to order 2 sausages & 2 toast with a cup of tea, for 60c. He would then ask people for anything left over from their breakfast if they didnt finish it....bacon, eggs, beans, whatever. Measly bastard.

Worked with him for a few years afterwards...even when he was earning good money, youd still hear stories about him...stealing teabags from work, skipping out on rounds, etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

guy I know who is notoriously tight (lets call him bill), was at a party in a pub with me and my mates a few years ago, half way through the night he comes up to me and says get me a pint glass filled with as many different types of drinks you can and I bet ya ill be able to drink it, needless to say his trick didnt work and I didnt buy him a drink.the next day someone ordered a pint of guinness for one of the lads but he didnt drink it because he had to drive us home, 4 hours later bill starts drinking the pint, the head on the pint had gone green at that stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

It didn't serve him right at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I had friends over a couple of weeks ago and one of them goes to the press and tries to rob some whiskey off me. Needless to say, I told him where to go. Still, the other lads were moaning to me that I should have just let him do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭gingernut125

poisonated wrote: »
    I had friends over a couple of weeks ago and one of them goes to the press and tries to rob some whiskey off me. Needless to say, I told him where to go. Still, the other lads were moaning to me that I should have just let him do it.

Not necessarily stingy, my friends always help themselves. They're very generous with their own booze though

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

My husbands Grand-Uncle is a legend in his family for stinginess one of the best has to be how he boils the kettle once a day putting the hot water into thermos flask to use for tea throughout the day (reusing the tea bag obviously!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

aknitter wrote: »
    My husbands Grand-Uncle is a legend in his family for stinginess one of the best has to be how he boils the kettle once a day putting the hot water into thermos flask to use for tea throughout the day (reusing the tea bag obviously!)

What's stingy about that? He saves money by boiling the kettle once. You should tell him to put a tea bag in the flask. He has tea on tap. Common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Merak

Just came across this thread. I have a stingy sister and a stingy boss but I didn't realise there were so many more of them in the country. Would they qualify as an ethnic minority?
    Worst thing I have ever seen - while I was at the photocopier one day, which is beside the secretary's desk, I spotted some receipts that the boss had handed in so that she would be reimbursed. One was for 35c!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

snubbleste wrote: »
    What's stingy about that? He saves money by boiling the kettle once. You should tell him to put a tea bag in the flask. He has tea on tap. Common sense.

Alternatively, throw a box of tea bags into the hot water tank. Real tea on tap anywhere in the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Not necessarily stingy, my friends always help themselves. They're very generous with their own booze though

Depends on the group I think.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I family member of mine, turns off his broadband in the house when he's not using it, Wont let anyone else have the network key . He says they are using up all his internet...:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭gingernut125

poisonated wrote: »

Depends on the group I think.

You implied that your friends think you were being stingy not sharing though.

Maybe they were being stingy but you didn't tell the story very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,222 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Merak wrote: »
    Just came across this thread. I have a stingy sister and a stingy boss but I didn't realise there were so many more of them in the country. Would they qualify as an ethnic minority?
    Worst thing I have ever seen - while I was at the photocopier one day, which is beside the secretary's desk, I spotted some receipts that the boss had handed in so that she would be reimbursed. One was for 35c!

I've known people who were very adamant about me turning in receipts, even for tiny amounts. Their reasoning was that, despite the fact that 35c for example wouldn't matter to me, it all mounts up and the company should be prepare to budget across all departments.
    It was for accuracys sake, not stinginess.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

It could depend on the type of whiskey though - if it was Jameson or Paddy, then whatever, but if it was Red Breast or the likes, they can fuck off! :p You'd give them a glass, but some people will push their luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Clondalphian

Bad alright.
    I wouldnt have anything to do with him anymore. He wasnt just trying to screw over the taxi driver. He was trying to screw over you and your other friend. As he wanted you guys to pay for his taxi fare home (and there he is the only one working too)

Can't really trust a bloke like that.

Just had a conversation with the guy today about it. After the two of us were dropped off he realised he was being a cnut and decided to pay the taxi man the proper fare and give him 2 euro extra. Some times it takes people a while to figure out they're being a d*ckhead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

KoolKid wrote: »
    I family member of mine, turns off his broadband in the house when he's not using it, Wont let anyone else have the network key . He says they are using up all his internet...:eek:

Save the internet man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Just had a conversation with the guy today about it. After the two of us were dropped off he realised he was being a cnut and decided to pay the taxi man the proper fare and give him 2 euro extra. Some times it takes people a while to figure out they're being a d*ckhead
    my OH is like that and it drives me spare. Will spend a fortune on drinks, smokes, paying into places etc...and then will squabble with the taxi driver over the fare or try to make it up with really small coins. It's so embarrassing , I usually try to sit in the front and pay him myself and leave quickly. I'm pretty sure she watches me to see if I tip too. Like for example if the fare is 8 euro, Ill give him ten and leave it at that...but she will wait for the change!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

My tattooist in Swansea has a partner and he is so tight that in the toilets of their parlour he used to put sellotape around the soap "so it would last longer".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

KoolKid wrote: »

Is it unlimited or limited?

If I had a monthly limit and someone else was using my broadband for downloads that took the majority of it I'd do the same....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement