Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

wadefuq wrote: »
    It was in the 90s, just a couple of yrs before the mobiles took off.. thinkin back there were 4 teenagers in the house so maybe he was just being sensible.. there can be a fine line line between being sensible and stingy at times

A friend of my parents did the same thing as he had three teenage daughters in the house, nothing stingy about IMHO.

Working for a mobile retailer who used to have two pay as you go plans, one cheaper in the daytime and the other cheaper in the evening it wasn't unusual to get customers in with two phones one for cheap daytime calls and the other for use at night.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

My tattooist in Swansea has a partner and he is so tight that in the toilets of their parlour he used to put sellotape around the soap "so it would last longer".
    ingenious

*takes notes*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

KoolKid wrote: »
    I family member of mine, turns off his broadband in the house when he's not using it, Wont let anyone else have the network key . He says they are using up all his internet...:eek:
    Depends completely on his provider whether he is being an arsehole or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭wexfordman

Went to subway with a work mate a while back. He had never been before, but I knew no matter what was on the menu, he would order the special, cos it was the cheapest.

Sure enough, he ordered the special. She asked him if he wanted it toasted, and he said no thanks. He turned round to me then and whispered "how much is it to toast it ?" I said "nothing", and he then called back and asked the lady to toast it :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭wexfordman

My tattooist in Swansea has a partner and he is so tight that in the toilets of their parlour he used to put sellotape around the soap "so it would last longer".

Err... Id be a bit wary on that one for a tatooist, Id be looking for no expense spared on the hygene front!!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26 imontheprotein

A mate of mine that trains with me when he is taking a serving of a preworkout supplement which comes in a sacket will pure half of it in his water and keep the other half for a other day...tight twat

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

I family member of mine, turns off his broadband in the house when he's not using it, Wont let anyone else have the network key . He says they are using up all his internet...:eek:

Mmmm wonder what would happen if someone piggybacked onto your network and hacked into the CIA or a few bank accounts, I wouldn't let anyone have the network key either.

Also what about the people who are on a download limit, in effect you would be using up his internet

Just had a conversation with the guy today about it. After the two of us were dropped off he realised he was being a cnut and decided to pay the taxi man the proper fare and give him 2 euro extra. Some times it takes people a while to figure out they're being a d*ckhead

If he was that much of a dick earlier, do you really think he had a road to Damascus moment? I'd bet that €2 he's only saying it to you but really he did a runner

• Registered Users Posts: 1 HotDogStein

Yillan wrote: »
    The morning after a birthday party a couple of years ago, we went for the hair of the dog. Started rounds between the eight of us. One of our party was getting boisterous, so after pint number 7 , we had to leave one of the bars because they had had enough of him in there. Anyway as we walk to the next pub, one of the lads (Mark) asks are we finished with rounds now. I said yeah I suppose if everyone has bought one. After we each bought a pint in the next pint, I was informed by another member of the party that Mark had not bought his round. The guy had had 7 pints bought for him and thought he could get away with not buying back. This guy was the only one of the group earning, and earning a decent amount in a job he needed a masters to get, while the rest of us were students.

He then decided he wanted to get a bus back home to Galway (From Dublin) at midnight, but had left his stuff in my apartment. He said he'd get a taxi to mine and then back to the pub to return the keys to me. I said I didn't want to give him the keys, but he promised he'd get the taxi there and back. I reluctantly agreed. He got in the taxi and doesn't come back. I ring him and he says he's at the bus station. He left the keys with the drunkest member of our party that had gone missing and that he found outside my apartment. He let him in and told him to let us in when we knock, so he wouldn't have to pay extra to get the taxi back to the pub, which was on the way to the bus station anyway. Naturally the guy he left the keys with passed out and couldn't hear us knocking on the door or calling his phone. We ended up staying in a hostel.

I was displeased

One of the party was heard to yell "F**k Dublin" repeatedly.
    Or so I hear.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Mmmm wonder what would happen if someone piggybacked onto your network and hacked into the CIA or a few bank accounts, I wouldn't let anyone have the network key either.
    Jeez what sort of family members do you have,,,:eek:
    Also what about the people who are on a download limit, in effect you would be using up his internet
    For a bit of browsing on a phone.?:confused:
    Your as stingy as he is.....
    Hang on , Is that you Chris???:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Live in shared accommodation, and we take turns to buy bog roll.

One guy was moving out and happened to be down to our last three rolls, he took a roll saying that its only fair that he got his share.

Talk about scabby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 clint highway

i installed a doorbell for my grand uncle he was delighted got a call later that night he wanted me to take the l.e.d light out to save electricity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

wadefuq wrote: »
    It was in the 90s, just a couple of yrs before the mobiles took off.. thinkin back there were 4 teenagers in the house so maybe he was just being sensible.. there can be a fine line line between being sensible and stingy at times
    Gillo wrote: »
    A friend of my parents did the same thing as he had three teenage daughters in the house, nothing stingy about IMHO.

It is stingy, IMO, as it pushes the phonecall costs onto other parents. I know this from having a teenage friend whose tightfisted dad got a payphone. So all the calls started going one way. My folks weren't impressed! This was pre mobiles by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

It is stingy, IMO, as it pushes the phonecall costs onto other parents. I know this from having a teenage friend whose tightfisted dad got a payphone. So all the calls started going one way. My folks weren't impressed! This was pre mobiles by the way.
    I don't see it that way the teens don't HAVE to talk for hours, they want to and will if their let and if he won't let his kid run up a bill that's up to him, it's up to other parents to look after their end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    I don't see it that way the teens don't HAVE to talk for hours, they want to and will if their let and if he won't let his kid run up a bill that's up to him, it's up to other parents to look after their end.

Exactly!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Just had a conversation with the guy today about it. After the two of us were dropped off he realised he was being a cnut and decided to pay the taxi man the proper fare and give him 2 euro extra. Some times it takes people a while to figure out they're being a d*ckhead

Did he really tho?
    Could just be feeding you aload of crap after realising he came off as a dick to you and your other friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Cornetto

A lad in my year has a stapler, and he won't let people use it unless they have their own staples!

Jeez what sort of family members do you have,,,:eek:

For a bit of browsing on a phone.?:confused:
    Your as stingy as he is.....
    Hang on , Is that you Chris???:D

you mean you use your own ISP for surfing dubious content.....you spotted that car with the dark tinted windows following you yet? :)

Myself I always use someones unsecured wireless when doing that kind of thing.

As to family members 2 teenagers and I'm not having their friends surfing where they are likely to surf via my ISP.

Something about the browsing on a phone that stops it cumulatively adding up is there?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

you mean you use your own ISP for surfing dubious content.....you spotted that car with the dark tinted windows following you yet? :)

As to family members 2 teenagers and I'm not having their friends surfing where they are likely to surf via my ISP.

Something about the browsing on a phone that stops it cumulatively adding up is there?

The network is secure so the car outside wouldn't be worrying me.
    Don't know about your family but I would trust mine.
    Anyone counting what a bit of browsing Facebook etc eats out of their bandwidth really is that stingy.

Then again as you admit
    maybe your right not to trust the rest of the family.
    To normal rational , unselfish people, not sharing your internet & probably coming nowhere near your limits every month is as stingy as it comes.

They don't HAVE to, but they will. ;) Realistically, phone calls were not going to stop. His daughters (four of them) were hardly never going to talk to their friends on the phone ever again, now were they? And it might not even be for hours, even a few minutes costs. And as the girls were perennially broke (like us all), people were always asked to ring them, not the other way round.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

They don't HAVE to, but they will. ;) Realistically, phone calls were not going to stop. His daughters (four of them) were hardly never going to talk to their friends on the phone ever again, now were they? And it might not even be for hours, even a few minutes costs. And as the girls were perennially broke (like us all), people were always asked to ring them, not the other way round.

Yeh and he didn't mind them using the phone, he just wasn't paying for it. The fact he had 4 teenage daughters makes it even more reasonable. I can't imagine there was too much disposable income in that house, I wouldn't criticise him for not wanting to spend it on his daughters phone bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Alternatively, throw a box of tea bags into the hot water tank. Real tea on tap anywhere in the house.

Oh my god that's genius ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

anndub wrote: »
    Friend of mine was asked out for dinner by a guy. She put on her best frock and waited patiently for him to arrive. He duly picked her up and drove into town. Parked up outside the restaurant........which was a MacDonalds. She figured she'd go along with it, who doesn't love a McChicken Sandwich?

So she walks in with him in her best party dress and highest heels. He doesn't ask her what she wants, instead he marches up to the counter, takes out a Dunnes Stores receipt and tears the "two big mac meals for the price of one" voucher off the back :eek:

She was asked out for dinner

He bought her dinner

I can't see the problem here, if he made her pay for her own then maybe.....

This guys a classy guy in my opinion, and will make some lady very happy one day with his intelligent financial ability.

Yeh and he didn't mind them using the phone, he just wasn't paying for it. The fact he had 4 teenage daughters makes it even more reasonable. I can't imagine there was too much disposable income in that house, I wouldn't criticise him for not wanting to spend it on his daughters phone bills.

Fair enough, it's an agree to disagree situation. NONE of us had much disposable income. I think it's stingy as hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Chemical Burn

Was giving maths grinds to my girlfriend, back in 2010 when she did her Leaving Certificate. We went to the local supermarket to get biscuits for the day to nibble over, after buying her loads of shit day after day, we got to the till, scanned the biscuits, which cost 99 cents and walked happily out the door. Upon leaving, Mary said to me, Billy, those biscuits were 99c, so you owe me half, you can give me 49 cents when we are back in my house.

The above story is true. She is no longer my girlfriend. I love my current girlfriend :)

Mary and Billy are not our real names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Was giving maths grinds to my girlfriend, back in 2010 when she did her Leaving Certificate. We went to the local supermarket to get biscuits for the day to nibble over, after buying her loads of shit day after day, we got to the till, scanned the biscuits, which cost 99 cents and walked happily out the door. Upon leaving, Mary said to me, Billy, those biscuits were 99c, so you owe me half, you can give me 49 cents when we are back in my house.

The above story is true. She is no longer my girlfriend. I love my current girlfriend :)

Mary and Billy are not our real names.

Surprised you didn't invoice her for the 'grinds'. You were her boyfriend, how were you qualified to give grinds? And at least she rounded down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

That's not stingy
    ya, it was more for previous posts but I couldn't be bothered quoting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭kiva989

I know this girl from school who was soo stingy.

At our friends mothers funeral, she had a big strop that no one would buy her a coke. Even though she openly admitted to having a 50 euro note, she insisted it wasn't worth breaking into it for a few euro and one of us should just buy it for her!!

Then another time on a night out, she was (well claimed to be) 50 cent short for a bag of chips. So she gets talking to a guy outside, bums a cigarette off him, and then sells it for 2 euro to another guy!!!!!!!!!! And to make it worse, she had 20 euros in her purse, but again, it wasn't worth breaking into it for a bag of chips!

Another time, she wanted about 5 us to each give her 2 euro so she could go to the cinema.

And I wouldn't mind, but her mother was minted and she had more money than any of the rest of us!!!

Oh just remembered another story! Her and another girl had both gotten tickets to see a band. The other girl wasn't really familiar with the music so she asked could she borrow the album to listen to it (this was clearly about 10 years ago!) The stingy one says "no, if you can afford the concert ticket, you can afford to buy the CD" and wouldn't loan it to her!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement