Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

There was this lad I used to work with, we were working in a different place to usual, so he asks if I could drop him in the first day with his toolbox, I said ok, fine, he then says, sure I live near him, can he get a lift in, I said ok and as it it turned out there were a few of us, so I drove us all in, I was going that way anyway, didn't mind, nor did I ask for anything.
    The group of us started working different shifts, I wasn't going to do lates on a following day, so I brought it up that day I'd be leaving normal quitting time the next day, to give people time to make arrangements, no problems from everyone, except the original fella (who had his own transport).

He still took the lift in with me that day, so assumed he'd be finishing the same time as me and coming back at the same time. Came close to quitting time, I said to him, look I'm off in 30 minutes, do you want wrap up your stuff and what you're doing, He said he's staying to do lates and I'll have to wait for him!! (he wanted to do overtime for extra money, think it was till 11) he insisted I stay till that time, I told him to cop on, he knew what time I was going at.

The next day we were back in the usual place of work (about a week later), one of the other lads came up to me with money for the lifts, I said no, he said the original bloke said I complained that I had given lifts and no one offered me a penny, which never happened. I told the fella that approached me with the money the story, dont know if the truth got around as i should have taken the lying cheapskate fella to task over it. Looking back I should have bollocked him out of it and made sure the truth got around.

Not only would he not drive his own transport (I think he was too tight), he ended up telling a pack of lies, saying I was giving out about not being offered money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I would be in favour of it if it wasn't in my name. As it stands you can be prosecuted for anything downloaded to your IP.

There is a way to do it through BT Openzone but you pay for it.

I don't think its stingy, just common sense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Would you have your phone out on Henry St?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BeerSteakBirds

juan.kerr wrote: »
    Surprised you didn't invoice her for the 'grinds'. You were her boyfriend, how were you qualified to give grinds? And at least she rounded down.

If girlfriends charged the going rate for sex , almost a whole gender would have to enter bankruptcy when all debits and credits are matched up and reconciled.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭donkey oatey

Had a weird stingy and not stingy thing happen last year. I needed to buy another drink to reach the minimum spend amount to use my debit card so I offered a comedienne who'd played that night a drink. She took it but then watched me like a hawk and kept asking me was I finished yet. I was just over being ill so was drinking slowly which I explained to her and that I was only planning on having the 1 drink. When I finally finished (maybe 45 mins later) she harumphed as she got up, bought me a second wine and stormed out of the club. I 100% hadn't expected her to buy me a wine which I had said to her when she offered when I was buying the wine originally.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Had a weird stingy and not stingy thing happen last year. I needed to buy another drink to reach the minimum spend amount to use my debit card so I offered a comedienne who'd played that night a drink. She took it but then watched me like a hawk and kept asking me was I finished yet. I was just over being ill so was drinking slowly which I explained to her and that I was only planning on having the 1 drink. When I finally finished (maybe 45 mins later) she harumphed as she got up, bought me a second wine and stormed out of the club. I 100% hadn't expected her to buy me a wine which I had said to her when she offered when I was buying the wine originally.

she wanted you to knob her

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Was giving maths grinds to my girlfriend, back in 2010 when she did her Leaving Certificate. We went to the local supermarket to get biscuits for the day to nibble over, after buying her loads of shit day after day, we got to the till, scanned the biscuits, which cost 99 cents and walked happily out the door. Upon leaving, Mary said to me, Billy, those biscuits were 99c, so you owe me half, you can give me 49 cents when we are back in my house.

The above story is true. She is no longer my girlfriend. I love my current girlfriend :)

Mary and Billy are not our real names.

49 is not half of 99!! Those maths grinds were obviously wasted on her tight ass!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sadderday

Stinge Central - A have a 'mate' who has always been great company but I don't know how he doesn't feel like a shambles at this stage......

He will go out for a night in town with €30, but he will drink that and when your in the taxi dropping him off outside his gaff he will tell ya that he has no money left. This means sometimes getting the taxi to bring you to a bank machine since you only have your share in cash. Started confiscating €10 off the pr*ck on the way in.

He rings and asks do you wana grab a coffee, you answer yeah why not, he says... what time will be here to pick me up. i go 20 mins out of my way to get him, 10 mins to the starbucks, he bums 2 smokes on the way 'but he's off them', needs 45cent to make up the price of his coffee, you drop him back home and he's like 'i'm going out tonight, i'll buzz ya next weekend'

YOU WHA??? He had money stashed. you don't drink bottles of Dr. Pepper from bleedin Spar everyday unless your loaded, yet when ya go for grub you wont buy anything and i feel terrible!, waits for the leftovers!!
    I know it's my own fault and I have since blanked this bloke.

the worst bit??? He's one of them. Ya know one of them? the ones that come over to your gaff for drinks one friday night and they are still there Sunday morning.... like 'fcuk off' seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Here's one that happened to me a few months back and really pissed me off. A few of us were out in town for the night. I usually get a taxi home which generally costs about €12-€15. When I was about to head one of the lads who just lives in town (just a few minutes out the road) said he'd come too, and a fella who I only knew vaguely (lets call him 'Jim')said that he and his friend (who I didn't know at all) said they live down that direction so we could split a cab. Grand I thought, sure that'll reduce the fare for all of us so and the four of us headed for a taxi.

When we dropped the first fella off, there was something like €4.50 on the meter, so the first fella says 'Here I'll get this' and hands €5 to 'Jim', then gets out of the taxi. Great I think as this fella is after paying his way no bother.

Then we are going down the N11 approaching my house, with about €10/11 as per usual on the meter at this stage, and I'm just telling the taxi driver to take the second left, when Jim pipes up saying, 'take the first left actually, I live down there'. Grand I think, if his house is before mine we'll drop him off first.

I assumed he lived on that road, as was implied. However, the taxi proceeds to drive down the road for about 2-3 mins (I was getting a bit confused at this stage) when Jim says to 'take the next right'. We were now driving down a road which was directly parallel to the N11. So we proceed down this road. 6 or 7 mins later 'Jim' tells the driver to 'pull in here this'll be grand'. There was almost €20 on the meter at this stage. Then 'Jim' said that his friend hadn't any money so he'd be paying for both of them. 'Grand' I said, and he handed me the money and jumped out of the taxi fairly lively. I assumed he gave me AT LEAST €15 seeing as I would be paying for an unnecessary journey back up to my house, as well as that €4.45 surcharge. I looked down at the money he had given me. It was the €5 that the first fella had originally handed him for his fare. The mean, stingey cunt. No wonder he alighted the taxi so rapidly.

I tell the taxidriver my address, expecting him to do a U-turn and head back the way we came. But no, he drives straight down the road we were on, and within one minute we were back on the N11. The taxi driver turns right, and 3-4 mins later we were at my house. The fare came to around €23/4, and the taxidriver was sound enough not to charge the surcharge for whatever reason.

This just really pissed me off. Not only is it mean and stingey, it is dishonest and disceptive. It would have made alot more sense and have been cheaper to go straight down the N11, dropping me off at my house first, then travel the 3 or 4 mins down to his place. But no, this mean cunt deliberately had the taxi driver turn off just before my house and take a longer convoluted route to his house, so he would be dropped off first and could dupe me with the fare and pay nothing himself. The fact that he did this, thus increasing the bill for me actually pissed me off more than the fact that he or his friend payed NOTHING towards the bill. This absolute slyness was much worse than the mere stinginess.

Hopefully you all followed that, but I was experiencing a mini-fit of rage just typing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭gingernut125

This just really pissed me off. Not only is it mean and stingey, it is dishonest and disceptive. It would have made alot more sense and have been cheaper to go straight down the N11, dropping me off at my house first, then travel the 3 or 4 mins down to his place. But no, this mean cunt deliberately had turn off just before my house and take a longer convoluted route to his house, so he would be dropped off first and could dupe me with the fare and pay nothing himself. The fact that he did this, thus increasing the bill for me actually pissed me off more than the fact that he or his friend payed NOTHING towards the bill. This absolute slyness was much worse than the mere stinginess.

Hopefully you all followed that, but I was experiencing a mini-fit of rage just typing it.[/Quote]

That is true stinge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

That is true stinge

Oh yes, no doubt, it was the slyness and deception that got to me most though. Not only did he not pay his way, but made a conscious effort to indirectly increase my fare.
    I rarely ever see him, but anytime I do I just refuse to engage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

^^ A burning bag of dog shít on the doorstep for those lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

^^ A burning bag of dog shít on the doorstep for those lads.
    Brilliant, I'm cracking up here!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Rothmans wrote: »

Oh yes, no doubt, it was the slyness and deception that got to me most though. Not only did he not pay his way, but made a conscious effort to indirectly increase my fare.
    I rarely ever see him, but anytime I do I just refuse to engage.
    Maybe the convoluted journey was so you'd find it hard to remember where he lived? Either way, a nasty stinge bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭SilverKrest

I was watching a group of people playing pool in a pub once. Every time the 2 fellas that were playing aimed for a shot, they asked one of there mates to cup there hand in the pocket and catch the ball if it falls into the hole. They caught every ball and placed it in the area where they roll down so they could re-rack the balls for a new game without paying. They weren't drinking anything either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

Sadderday wrote: »
    the worst bit??? He's one of them. Ya know one of them? the ones that come over to your gaff for drinks one friday night and they are still there Sunday morning.... like 'fcuk off' seriously

I knew the worst ever one of "them." When we were teenagers, me and my friends used to go to our local metal nightclub, and there was a bloke there a couple of years older than us, who didn't seem to know anyone and was always on his own. He never spoke to anyone or made an effort to meet anyone. he was ginger so we nicknamed him Ging.

When I turned 16 (yes I was out clubbing from a young age) I invited everyone from the club to come to my birthday party at my house. One of the people who showed up was Ging. He must have heard us talking about it and seen my address on the invitations that I gave to some people there.

The whole way through the party he never spoke to anyone but just wandered around bumming spliffs and smokes and booze off people and stuffing his face with the food I'd laid out. That night everyone slept over, on the beds, chairs, floors, wherever. The next day everyone went home except my two best friends who were staying a bit longer. When Ging saw they weren't going home he stayed too, still not talking but bumming smokes.

That night AND THE NEXT all three slept over and the next day Ging still showed no sign of leaving! We kept giving him blatant hints like "Oh shouldn't you be getting home? Don't you have work to go to?" etc. He just shook his head and stayed. In the end I had to get my mum to come in and say "Right I want you all to leave now!" to get rid of him.

A few weeks later I went round to my friend's boyfriend's house where some people were hanging out. There, on the settee asleep, and taking up the whole settee so that others had to sit on the floor, was Ging. I turned to my friend's boyfriend and said, "Oh I didn't know you knew Ging."

He said "Who's Ging?"
    I said "That ginger bloke asleep on your settee."
    He said, "Oh is Ging his name? No, I don't know him. I've never even spoken to him. A few weeks ago he followed a group of my friends in here, went straight over to the settee, lay down and went to sleep. Now I can't get rid of him and he never speaks to anyone but just bums cigarettes and food off everyone!"

True story. I don't know what happened after that as my friend broke up with her boyfriend shortly afterwards and we never went round his place again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

You handed out birthday party invitations in a nightclub?? Did they have Thomas the tank on them? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

You handed out birthday party invitations in a nightclub?? Did they have Thomas the tank on them? :P

To be fair, I did know everyone there very well, except Ging so it's not as mad as it sounds. Most of them were from my school or brothers and sisters of my friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

lol

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I was getting petrol today in Tesco and I had a 10c off per litre voucher, the nozzle automatically stopped when the tank was full, I was just putting back the nozzle and I noticed there was 51.42 litres gone in, I went back to top up the petrol to 52 litres to get the extra 10c off.

I don't know if I'm stingy or stupid, cost me an extra ~80c to save 10c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

This one friend of mine is the biggest stinge ever

One time, he "forgot" his money at home on a night out, i paid for his taxi no big deal. Came to a tenner. Monday morning, he gave me a fiver, thought the rest would be paid later on. Thursday i asked him for the rest of the money, he said "wasnt the taxi only a fiver". I said, "no it a tenner same as every weekend we come home from the town". Then, "i dont believe dont be trying to rob me of a fiver". Its a tenner every weekend, yet only a fiver for him when he forgets his money.

Another time he asked me for money for condoms so he doesnt get the gf pregnant again :pac:

He has two well paid jobs as well, hes 18 and making 400 a week while also getting a grant for doing a plc in the secondary school, mother a doctor as well, yet he is the biggest stinge i know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

frag420 wrote: »
    49 is not half of 99!! Those maths grinds were obviously wasted on her tight ass!

You can't stop thinking about the tight asses of LC students for one second, can you? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

You can't stop thinking about the tight asses of LC students for one second, can you? :pac:
    Too mean to eat???

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Clareman wrote: »
    I was getting petrol today in Tesco and I had a 10c off per litre voucher, the nozzle automatically stopped when the tank was full, I was just putting back the nozzle and I noticed there was 51.42 litres gone in, I went back to top up the petrol to 52 litres to get the extra 10c off.

I don't know if I'm stingy or stupid, cost me an extra ~80c to save 10c
    don't forget you got about 5c off the extra half litre so it's only really 75c

52 litres of fuel weighs a lot, some people drive around with nearly empty tanks because lighter cars use less fuel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

52 litres of fuel weighs a lot, some people drive around with nearly empty tanks because lighter cars use less fuel

52 L masses just about 40 Kg on the dot - not too much compared to the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

. . . . .
    A few weeks later I went round to my friend's boyfriend's house where some people were hanging out. There, on the settee asleep, and taking up the whole settee so that others had to sit on the floor, was Ging. I turned to my friend's boyfriend and said, "Oh I didn't know you knew Ging."

He said "Who's Ging?"
    I said "That ginger bloke asleep on your settee."
    He said, "Oh is Ging his name? No, I don't know him. I've never even spoken to him. A few weeks ago he followed a group of my friends in here, went straight over to the settee, lay down and went to sleep.
    . . . .

A few weeks?!:eek: you sure he wasn't dead?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I don't think they calculate it on parts of litres, they usually do it with a pen at the till when they are working it out.

I know the argument about going around with light fuel loads being more economical, but there's more to life than having to stop for petrol every couple of hundred kilometres, I normally just fill up when it's nearly empty. There's also the argument that having low fuel levels in the car might mean that dirt/girt will be taken into the engine and damage the engine.

Back to sting, my OH is heading down to visit her brother and his family in Kerry tomorrow (rugby starting so she's giving me free reign, she's a great woman, far far too good for me), she asked her sister if she wanted to go, she does, he asked her parents if they wanted to go, her father's exact reply was "I'm not wasting €40 on petrol to see those brats", my OH said she was driving so he wouldn't have to pay for petrol, he couldn't decide and said "your car would be too small, could you not bring himself's car and I'll drive it". I'm tempted to get his insurance transferred so it'll cost him €30, I'm also sorry that I filled the car yesterday :(

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Gotham

Patchy~ wrote: »
    I actually once put my phone in the fridge while videoing just to check this. :pac:

Quantum physics says you still cant be sure ;)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Observer_effect_(physics)
    The fridge is in a superposition before you open the door, the phone is also in one before you look at it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Donny5 wrote: »
    52 L masses just about 40 Kg on the dot - not too much compared to the car.
    That's 4% of the weight of something like a Yaris. It won't change the wind drag, but it will change the rolling resistance and it's extra weight to drag up hills. Puts more pressure on the breaks and engine too.

Over the life of the car it'll add up. And it's a huge problem for Boeing and Airbus when a new model of aircraft is weighed for the first time as airlines have all sort of penalty clauses to compensate for the extra fuel burnt up over the life of the plane.

Clareman wrote: »
    I know the argument about going around with light fuel loads being more economical, but there's more to life than having to stop for petrol every couple of hundred kilometres,
    For normal people yes, but we're talking stinge here. You know, the sort of people who will queue for 40 minutes when the tax on petrol goes up 8c a litre. Even though they'll waste more fuel going to the station and queuing.

Though bonus marks for someone walking past the queue with a Jerry Can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

That's 4% of the weight of something like a Yaris. It won't change the wind drag, but it will change the rolling resistance and it's extra weight to drag up hills. Puts more pressure on the breaks and engine too.

Over the life of the car it'll add up. And it's a huge problem for Boeing and Airbus when a new model of aircraft is weighed for the first time as airlines have all sort of penalty clauses to compensate for the extra fuel burnt up over the life of the plane.

For normal people yes, but we're talking stinge here. You know, the sort of people who will queue for 40 minutes when the tax on petrol goes up 8c a litre. Even though they'll waste more fuel going to the station and queuing.

Though bonus marks for someone walking past the queue with a Jerry Can.

Jeez I best park up the Boeing and stick to the Yaris when shopping!! Having said that what about the weight of my groceries??

My brain is melting here!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement