Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

mfceiling wrote: »
    I started a big job in mullingar a few years back. 3 of us from dublin going to it every day.
    After the 1st week one of the lads tells me "i'll tip over to your place in the morning and go up with you - save taking 2 motors". Cool, no problem there - makes more sense.
    The other lad who was travelling with him had no choice but to come as well.

Every day for the next 3 months i took these lads to the job. Every morning we stopped for a coffee. Not once did either of them say "i'll get this as a thanks for you driving" Every day i went through the N4 toll twice - not once did either of them say "do you want a couple of quid for the toll"

I would never have expected money for diesel but it would have been nice to have been offered (even a tenner each for the week).

My good friend who i work with regularly will always fall into an unwritten rule with work. He used to come past my house in the morning to go to a job 2 miles from my house. Every morning i bought him a tea in the shop. On other jobs we would fill our cool boxes on a monday and share out lunches for the week. We worked in london and without ever discussing it took it in turns to buy the dinner each night.

Can't understand miserable gits.

These sort of things piss me off.

After a week of driving it, I would ask for the money. If they still don't regularly give me something, I'd tell them to drive themselves. I'm not being stingy doing it, just not letting people take advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

You know how before going off on holidays you go around the house taking out plugs and double checking the immersion?
    Anyway, my granny knew someone who went round with a roll of sellotape taping up packets of biscuits so they wouldn't go stale.

I do that every time I'm away for a month or so - biscuits, teabags, coffee, cereals, etc. etc. I stick them in the fridge as well if there's room.

And I run down the milk, open wine, butter, eggs, potatoes, cheese etc. etc. in the days before I leave. I probably save €200-€300 a year by doing all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Open Wine ?

Whats that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Not so much stingy as embracing a really false economy: someone I know's parents used to drive to a petrol station four/five miles away from their local petrol station, because it sold the cheapest petrol in Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

I do this, and mainly because my local petrol station is always 10 cent more than everyone else, stingy feck, I'd rather drive 5 miles out of the way than give him my business

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

A lad I used to go to school with did this a few times. We'd be in Tesco and he would say as we were leaving "Oh I just need to go to the toilet will you hold this for a second, it's okay I've payed for it". The person would walk out the door and wait for him to come out, he'd then reveal when we were well away from the shop that he had never payed for the food at all and that the person had actually unknowingly robbed them for him.

Fairly stingy, but sheer genius as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

Shelflife wrote: »
    Open Wine ?

Whats that?

A bottle of wine thats been opened I'd imagine. What the hell did you think it was?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

A bottle of wine thats been opened I'd imagine. What the hell did you think it was?

Open bottle of wine, drink wine throw away empty bottle. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

A lad I used to go to school with did this a few times. We'd be in Tesco and he would say as we were leaving "Oh I just need to go to the toilet will you hold this for a second, it's okay I've payed for it". The person would walk out the door and wait for him to come out, he'd then reveal when we were well away from the shop that he had never payed for the food at all and that the person had actually unknowingly robbed them for him.

I'd slap and then report the bastard for that carryon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

if someone did that to me and i found out about it i would go through them for a shortcut

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Regarding fuel, i'd pay anyone who gives me a lift more than 20 minutes or so somewhere. Not offer, just hand over a fiver or the likes. Offering implies that you may not give it to them or the person is too polite to accept, I just hand it over, job done. Small trips between friends usually cancel out, so 20 minutes or more I pay up.

I pay extortionate motor tax and fuel costs and certain friends take advantage of me always driving but I don't mind as they're typically short journeys. But I often do 100 mile round trips and not a cent is offered up. I think they all think "sure he loves his car/driving".

I once drove to Galway from Dundalk, cost €95 in tolls and fuel and one of the lads threw me a tenner and jumped out of the car, scabby git.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I was in McDonalds in Dundrum a while back. Girl at the next till over started munching her fries while the girl behind the counter was getting the drink/burger etc. Once she had everything on the tray, the customer picked up the now-half-empty fries carton and said "here, you wouldn't fill that up for us, would you?".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Flying out of Dublin Airport last Friday morning and I get to the bit just before security where you have to sort out your liquids. Go over to the bench and I see that the little plastic bags they used to charge for (think you got 2 for €1) were now free, and were stacked in massive bunches across the bench.

Two middle aged women come up beside me, and proceed to stuff a whole bunch (probably 30-40 bags) into each of their hand luggage bags "Oh they're free now? Isn't that great! Those will come in handy in the kitchen"

Pair of w*nkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

I once drove to Galway from Dundalk, cost €95 in tolls and fuel

Did you go via Cork or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

MrCreosote wrote: »

I drove to sligo and back on about 40 quid excl tolls yesterday... he must have an mpg of 15 :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

MrCreosote wrote: »
    bluewolf wrote: »
    I drove to sligo and back on about 40 quid excl tolls yesterday... he must have an mpg of 15 :p

Got about 30MPG on that trip. Was also before the last stretch of motorway was opened so was a bit longer than it is now. There's also the M1 toll and M50 toll coming from Dundalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Putting horse meat into what was supposed to be 100% beef burgers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    Putting horse meat into what was supposed to be 100% beef burgers
    Wasn't it a huge scandal when they discovered that chicken nuggets were made with very little, if any chicken? I remember seeing ads for nuggets "now made with 100%" chicken and thinking wtf were they putting in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,957 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Taken from YLY but more appropriate here.

http://i.imgur.com/HKN8LJf.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,957 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Dead right in fact. Especially in the states.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭SIRREX

Quazzie wrote: »

Dead right, if you get bad service why should you pay a service charge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

SIRREX wrote: »
    What's with the gratuity AND tip? I thought if the gratuity was added, that was the tip? Why would you tip twice? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

SIRREX wrote: »

Didn't see the gratuity when I first looked at it. Some cheek.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Jazzmaster

A friend of mine is notoriously stingy. Years ago a few of us were staying in his crappy little flat in Rathmines somewhere. After a night on the beer we were woken up the following morning by him asking if we wanted tea. Surprised by his generosity we all said yeah and he poured into the cups and added some milk. The first one to take a drink promptly spat it out on the floor and said "what the f**k kinda tea is that". Apparently he was in the habit of pouring the still slightly warm water from his hot water bottle into the kettle as it would be a little cheaper to boil!

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

My uncle throws euros around like they were manhole covers and the whole family know it. so after he stiffed my grandmother on money for a bit of land he bought off her, he built a house on it.

He had trouble getting connected to the gas at one point and had to get a local TD involved, soon enough he was connected up and very happy. His house seemed oddly warm all the time (in his old house he'd rather wear a jacket than turn on the heating). 4 years go by...

he was connected, he had a gas meter but some how never recived a bill and never thought to notify bord gais of this, the prïck was getting free gas for 4 years.

Bord gais doing some work on the road out side his drive realize he has gas even though he's not listed, a chap reads his meter.

BOOM, bill for €5700 the following week.

Que endless moaning and bitching about how it was their fault. Everyone bar him found it hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Apocalypse

A friend and I used to go to the gym years ago.
    We would lift a few weights and then head for a swim in the pool after.
    To use the gym it was 7 quid but for the pool it was 7.50
    So we were paying at the counter and my friend says "can I get one of those swimming hats please?" , that was grand , he bought a swimming hat.
    The the cashier then proceeded to charge him for use of the pool saying "swim i presume yeah ?" to which my friend replied "no just the gym thanks" :D
    Haha , she didn't know what to say , she just look at him like he had two heads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Two incidents that stick out for me, both by the same person.

I had heard he was stingy, but hadn't witnessed anything myself until the day I saw him put tin foil over a pint glass which was roughly a quarter full of orange squash, and put it in his fridge for later.

Months later I was in a pub with him, and he had dropped out of rounds as his girlfriend was collecting him. He had an empty glass in front of him when she texted to say she was going to be another 20 mins. He announced this, and simply reached forward and filled his glass to half full from his cousin's pint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Jazzmaster wrote: »
    A friend of mine is notoriously stingy. Years ago a few of us were staying in his crappy little flat in Rathmines somewhere. After a night on the beer we were woken up the following morning by him asking if we wanted tea. Surprised by his generosity we all said yeah and he poured into the cups and added some milk. The first one to take a drink promptly spat it out on the floor and said "what the f**k kinda tea is that". Apparently he was in the habit of pouring the still slightly warm water from his hot water bottle into the kettle as it would be a little cheaper to boil!

Delightful! :p I near spat out my cereal at that

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement