Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

joe stodge wrote: »
    My uncle throws euros around like they were manhole covers
    :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

joe stodge wrote: »
    My uncle throws euros around like they were manhole covers
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭gerbo

maximoose wrote: »
    Flying out of Dublin Airport last Friday morning and I get to the bit just before security where you have to sort out your liquids. Go over to the bench and I see that the little plastic bags they used to charge for (think you got 2 for €1) were now free, and were stacked in massive bunches across the bench.

Two middle aged women come up beside me, and proceed to stuff a whole bunch (probably 30-40 bags) into each of their hand luggage bags "Oh they're free now? Isn't that great! Those will come in handy in the kitchen"

Pair of w*nkers.

This is why Ireland is such a sh*thole. People taking advantage of services provided and why there will inevitably be a charge again.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Hunter21

Used to go to a local pub, a fella used to come in buy one bottle of beer, take ages to drink it then go upstairs and fill it with water.
    The same fella used push his car out of his garage and let it free wheel down a hill before starting it.
    The same fella got robbed for a ball of cash in his house :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭Pique

A lot of these stories are of well-off/rich people who are so tight.

Now you know how they got so rich.....they get other people to sub them, pilfer teabags & milk from work, buy crappy presents, turn off electricity/wifi etc.

Life's too short to be that mean. You can't take it with you....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Pique wrote: »
    Life's too short to be that mean. You can't take it with you....

Yes you can.
    I intend to get all my assets liquidated at the time of my death and turned into pennies, which will then be used to fill the spaces in my coffin. Take that future grandkids!

(Disclaimer: I may not actually do this...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

I know of this guy who put a safe in the ground encased in concrete and was too stingy to leave the key somewhere where the new owner of his house could find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

Frynge wrote: »
    I know of this guy who put a safe in the ground encased in concrete and was too stingy to leave the key somewhere where the new owner of his house could find it.

The two threads I'm following!

retalivity wrote: »
    Yes you can.
    I intend to get all my assets liquidated at the time of my death and turned into pennies, which will then be used to fill the spaces in my coffin. Take that future grandkids!
    I believe the traditional response is for the stingiest relative to replace the money with an IOU

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

A few years ago a friend of mine borrowed thirty pounds from a publican. The publican died suddenly a few weeks later so my mate thought he was in the clear. Some time after that he was in the pub and was approached by the widow.

She said "I was going through Johnny's credit book and your name is in there for thirty pounds. You don't have to give it to me now but whenever you have it."

D***** said "I promised John I'd give it back to him the next time I met him and I always keep my promises."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭downwesht

Some years ago my father was working with lads on the Dublin Cork gas line.A stingy farmer who lived near the line approched the gaffer and asked him to connect him to the line on the qt and that he would see after him and the lads.
    The smart lads connected him up to a small gas bottle that they buried and the delighted farmer thinking that he would have free gas for life arrived with a bag of half rotten turnips "for the lads".

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

gerbo wrote: »
    This is why Ireland is such a sh*thole.

There are over 4,485,000 people living in Ireland. But by all means, a few oul' ones taking advantage of plastic bags likely worth about 5 cent, in Dublin airport is a sound reflection of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

The girlfriend was out shopping there and a random woman came up to her and her friend to see if they had a student card so she could get a discount on jeans she was buying!

Cant even believe someone would do that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

tok9 wrote: »
    The girlfriend was out shopping there and a random woman came up to her and her friend to see if they had a student card so she could get a discount on jeans she was buying!
    Cant even believe someone would do that.
    Why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

snubbleste wrote: »
    Why not?

A complete stranger asks a person they don't know if they have a student card and if so will they purchase an item for them.

You don't find the above strange?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭lounakin

When I was 17 my mum reconnected with an old friend of hers who was now married to a man who is very successful in advertisment. That woman called on a friday night and asked me to babysit her children, her nanny was sick and I'd be doing her a huge favour. I told her I had plans but she insisted so I said yes. The aread where I'm from this sort of stuff happens a lot, a one-off favour is usually well paid and money isn't discussed. At the end of the night the mother drives me home and says: "ok, according to the going babysitting rate, I owe you 19.5 (i'm converting to euro) but I only have 20, you can give me the change later". I thought she was jocking. She calls me the next day to ask for my services again, I go, at the end of the night she asks me to give her the 50c back!!!!! She called again but I never went back.
    My cousin (15 at the time) was asked to go to diner with a friend of hers (her father owns a 4 star hotel in Cannes...). The mother drove my cousin and her friend to the supermarket to get stuff and after she paid, she divided the receipt in 4 and asked her to pay her share.
    In my experience, it's the rich who are the stingiest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

My family are invited to a christening function in a few weeks week and yapping about a present/gift to give. The voucher idea is off the table for them. There are 3 of us all together here going and we're going down the present route and the other two have ordered lets keep it limited and they gave me the job to source a gift. My sister is chipping in a 10. Fair enough. Maybe 10, 3 ways and with 30 I might be able to source something, just about for 30. Well my mother decides that she's chipping in a 5. 5 ****ing euro. Where the **** am i supposed to go - the pound shop for the present? And then she suggests to me - how about dunnes? For a packet of ham or what for gift giving? She tells me that there's section in dunnes. Christ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

My friend's father in law is turning 70 and is planning a holiday in Australia. His 5 grown children and their partners all decide to chip in 100 euro each to give to him towards the tickets. Almost all of them can afford, since they're mostly in well paid jobs and living with well paid partners and none of them have children. But the youngest is single and a student living abroad so my friend and her husband say "That's ok, you can give 50 euro and we'll make up the rest for you" - at which another sister, says "If she's only giving 50, I'm only giving 50" and leaves my friend and her husband to pay double. Of course she can afford it and indeed agreed to it, but then the childish "well if SHE'S only..." crap came into play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

I bought a book a few weeks ago, with good intentions of using it but didn't get around to it yet. I knew where it was - in my room, on a shelf, in a white paper easons bag. Went to get it today and it was gone. Ok maybe I misplaced it. With looking for it in the room. Nowhere. Continued looking for it. Mentioned it to my mother - did you see a white paper bag in my room that was on the shelf. No, why would I see it, was her reply. Ok. Sure off to work I go so. After work, at home she said that it was in the room on the shelf. That she found it under stuff on the bed.
    I up rooted the bed and looked there. Twice. It wasn't.
    Receipt was in the bag and I reckon she had it to return. I mean like. I checked and searched the room and it wasn't there. And then a while later, it was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

The reminds me of a relative of mine, two of her children went to Australia for year after their studies and she was annoyed when they came home and moved back in until they found their feet. She was charging them 120 euro a week for their keep. Her son was fine, he landed a good job straightaway and was able to pay it while he saved for his own place but her daughter was working part time as a nail technician and couldn't quite afford it. Her belongings started disappearing and on the rare occasion she bought anything new that would disappear immediately too - her mother was selling her stuff on eBay and told her that she was entitled to do so because she wasn't paying enough into the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭kilkenny12

ilovesleep wrote: »
    I bought a book a few weeks ago, with good intentions of using it but didn't get around to it yet. I knew where it was - in my room, on a shelf, in a white paper easons bag. Went to get it today and it was gone. Ok maybe I misplaced it. With looking for it in the room. Nowhere. Continued looking for it. Mentioned it to my mother - did you see a white paper bag in my room that was on the shelf. No, why would I see it, was her reply. Ok. Sure off to work I go so. After work, at home she said that it was in the room on the shelf. That she found it under stuff on the bed.
    Receipt was in the bag and I reckon she had it to return. I mean like. I checked and searched the room and it wasn't there. And then a while later, it was there.

Grand story.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sammy37

My family are invited to a christening function in a few weeks week and yapping about a present/gift to give. The voucher idea is off the table for them. There are 3 of us all together here going and we're going down the present route and the other two have ordered lets keep it limited and they gave me the job to source a gift. My sister is chipping in a 10. Fair enough. Maybe 10, 3 ways and with 30 I might be able to source something, just about for 30. Well my mother decides that she's chipping in a 5. 5 ****ing euro. Where the **** am i supposed to go - the pound shop for the present? And then she suggests to me - how about dunnes? For a packet of ham or what for gift giving? She tells me that there's section in dunnes. Christ
    you really have it in for your mother!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭lockon...

Yes go to a toy shop and buy a teddy for the child for €15 (3 x €5 = €15).

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭ROSSKI

Myself and the missis were heading over the water to visit her sister and husband. They asked about a month before is there anything in particular we want in the house for when we arrive so my missus said just have tomato sauce and vinegar because they don't use it themselves
    (not a bad list I thought '!)

so for a month he picked up sachets of sauce & vinegar in any restaurant or coffee shop he was in so he wouldn't have to buy a bottle of sauce

Another favourite of his is to pick up Tesco receipts in the car park and if the tesco points aren't collected he goes into the shop and puts them on his tag

Tight Bastard!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Went out for an Indian Meal the other night - mixed group ; about 30 of us; half drank and ordered bottles of wine all night & ordered extra food which they ate themselves & refused to share - " not passing round - we ordered it for ourselves". At the end half had deserts while the rest waited for them to eat & finish so we could get the bill. Bill came & an announcement was made " as the people who were drinking paid for it as they went along the rest of the bill will be split evenly". Now as both I & my partner hadn't been paying nor had the others this was nonsense. Pointed it out but was shouted down the the main guzzlers. Most people there were working professionals with good jobs - ( work do) - I just don't understand how you could eat And drink off the back of strangers .
    Just don't get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BeerSteakBirds

Went out for an Indian Meal the other night - mixed group ; about 30 of us; half drank and ordered bottles of wine all night & ordered extra food which they ate themselves & refused to share - " not passing round - we ordered it for ourselves". At the end half had deserts while the rest waited for them to eat & finish so we could get the bill. Bill came & an announcement was made " as the people who were drinking paid for it as they went along the rest of the bill will be split evenly". Now as both I & my partner hadn't been paying nor had the others this was nonsense. Pointed it out but was shouted down the the main guzzlers. Most people there were working professionals with good jobs - ( work do) - I just don't understand how you could eat And drink off the back of strangers .
    Just don't get it.

Thats why I don't do round systems with strangers. I like my independence. If I do a round system with a good friend or relative who screws me then I got rid of a two faced douchebag for a very cheap price.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

My father takes (ok robs) the liquid soap they use at work and refills the old carex dispensers at home. He recently replaced all the lights in the kitchen with LEDs as they use less electricity.

My father in law never has the heating in his house on - its fully insulated and at times its colder in the house than outside (we actually did check with a thermometer once) result - the house is cold, musty, the doors have swollen and most won't close properly and he is baffled why he won't get his asking price for it. He did other things while my husband was growing up but now they seem to be either environmentally friendly or good sense. (using rain water to refill the cistern on the toilet or cutting broken wellies down to shoes for use in the garden).

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

My father takes (ok robs) the liquid soap they use at work and refills the old carex dispensers at home. He recently replaced all the lights in the kitchen with LEDs as they use less electricity.

My father in law never has the heating in his house on - its fully insulated and at times its colder in the house than outside (we actually did check with a thermometer once) result - the house is cold, musty, the doors have swollen and most won't close properly and he is baffled why he won't get his asking price for it. He did other things while my husband was growing up but now they seem to be either environmentally friendly or good sense. (using rain water to refill the cistern on the toilet or cutting broken wellies down to shoes for use in the garden).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭mewithoutyou

I use to see a local junkie drinking from the petrol stations water pump most mornings. Rough...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

I use to see a local junkie drinking from the petrol stations water pump most mornings. Rough...

That wouldn't be classed as stingy. It would be classed as desperate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement