Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,821 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

aknitter wrote: »
    My father takes (ok robs) the liquid soap they use at work and refills the old carex dispensers at home. He recently replaced all the lights in the kitchen with LEDs as they use less electricity.

My father in law never has the heating in his house on - its fully insulated and at times its colder in the house than outside (we actually did check with a thermometer once) result - the house is cold, musty, the doors have swollen and most won't close properly and he is baffled why he won't get his asking price for it. He did other things while my husband was growing up but now they seem to be either environmentally friendly or good sense. (using rain water to refill the cistern on the toilet or cutting broken wellies down to shoes for use in the garden).

That's not stingy.....that's sensible

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

I use to see a local junkie drinking from the petrol stations water pump most mornings. Rough...

Funny...id class that as resourceful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I use to see a local junkie drinking from the petrol stations water pump most mornings. Rough...
    It's more sad than stingy IMO.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

It's only stingy if you have the money for something but won't spend it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭mewithoutyou

miamee wrote: »
    It's only stingy if you have the money for something but won't spend it.

Thanks for the definition, my work here is done...:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

mfceiling wrote: »
    That's not stingy.....that's sensible

Perhaps, but its the motives here that tell you if they are being stingy or sensible - and it was pure stingyness ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

He never touches the air pump though due to the increasing price to use it.

Inflation...

ilovesleep wrote: »
    My family are invited to a christening function in a few weeks week and yapping about a present/gift to give. The voucher idea is off the table for them. There are 3 of us all together here going and we're going down the present route and the other two have ordered lets keep it limited and they gave me the job to source a gift. My sister is chipping in a 10. Fair enough. Maybe 10, 3 ways and with 30 I might be able to source something, just about for 30. Well my mother decides that she's chipping in a 5. 5 ****ing euro. Where the **** am i supposed to go - the pound shop for the present? And then she suggests to me - how about dunnes? For a packet of ham or what for gift giving? She tells me that there's section in dunnes. Christ

You are invited to a christening and are giving a 30 euro gift (if even) between the three of you :eek:. You posted in the right thread anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Christmas. I gave a free dinner party for friends (nothing wrong there, was happy to have them). A friend who was also invited celebrates his birthday on Dec 26th so my best mate called me while I was in town and asked if I could buy him a "decent present" that would be from both of us. Bought him a lovely Diesel jacket for around 80 euro. Called her before to confirm and she gave the go-ahead. So anyway, end of the night she's like, "oh I have to give you that forty euro" and takes out a fifty. I have no change and she says, "well I need to pay my taxi home" (which would be more than a tenner anyway) and puts the fifty back in her wallet. Now, she seems to have forgotten about it. Maddening as I know she has loads of money :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Now, she seems to have forgotten about it. Maddening as I know she has loads of money :o

Would you not ask her for it?

• Advertisement

Donny5 wrote: »
    Would you not ask her for it?

She's my best friend, dont want to make her feel embarrassed if she has genuinely forgotten. Sent her a hinty text this morn which she thankfully picked up on ;) Mr bank shall be repayed this week :D

She's my best friend, dont want to make her feel embarrassed if she has genuinely forgotten. Sent her a hinty text this morn which she thankfully picked up on ;) Mr bank shall be repayed this week :D
    Seeing is believing!!! Don't hold your breath,once a stingy git....;)

long time reader of this thread first time poster

few years back we were invited out to my aunts house for saint stephens day

shes mega rich (like most stories)

first time my mother said is eat before you go , so we had the chipper of course

we arrived in the house freezing of course my mam and aunt gossiping away and my dad was reading the paper and i was chatting to my cousions

so i said "what did you get for christmas"

both answered mom cooked us a christmas dinner

again i said i know that what present did you get

again they said both answered mom cooked us a christmas dinner

so i said "so you got notting"

both nodded to me and told me to leave it

so around the after-noon my aunt said would you like something to me

i thought dinnear was ready

and went into the kitchen she opened the press got a packet of plain biscuit took out one and broke it in half and gave it the half

(my mother and father was in stiches they held it in)

aka eat before we arrived

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

^ wtf

tajd wrote: »
    long time reader of this thread first time poster

few years back we were invited out to my aunts house for saint stephens day

shes mega rich (like most stories)

first time my mother said is eat before you go , so we had the chipper of course

we arrived in the house freezing of course my mam and aunt gossiping away and my dad was reading the paper and i was chatting to my cousions

so i said "what did you get for christmas"

both answered mom cooked us a christmas dinner

again i said i know that what present did you get

again they said both answered mom cooked us a christmas dinner

so i said "so you got notting"

both nodded to me and told me to leave it

so around the after-noon my aunt said would you like something to me

i thought dinnear was ready

and went into the kitchen she opened the press got a packet of plain biscuit took out one and broke it in half and gave it the half

(my mother and father was in stiches they held it in)

aka eat before we arrived
    That's terrible. She's a sick woman. Then she'll wonder why she's all alone in a few years.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

A family member stayed with another recently in one of their spare rooms. They are notoriously bad for heating the house, everyone knows to wrap up before they visit. The spare room was freezing, no heating on and she slept with her night clothes on over the layers of clothes she was already wearing and still couldn't warm up. She more or less stayed awake all night and was convinced that the bed clothes were even damp. She said it to them the next day and again the next time they saw her. Their response? Oh it couldn't be damp, 'son-in-law' uses his laptop up there sometimes, sure the heat on that would warm the place up :eek: :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Colonel_McCoy

So is Lyons! Get her to send Barrys!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

miamee wrote: »
    A family member stayed with another recently in one of their spare rooms. They are notoriously bad for heating the house, everyone knows to wrap up before they visit. The spare room was freezing, no heating on and she slept with her night clothes on over the layers of clothes she was already wearing and still couldn't warm up. She more or less stayed awake all night and was convinced that the bed clothes were even damp. She said it to them the next day and again the next time they saw her. Their response? Oh it couldn't be damp, 'son-in-law' uses his laptop up there sometimes, sure the heat on that would warm the place up :eek: :confused:

Depends what kind of stuff he was looking at on the laptop I suppose....
    Like if he is going up to the spare room to do it, it's obviously not sitting room grade material!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

My wife and her parents were heading down to Kerry to visit her brother and his family, when they were about half way there they got a phone call asking what time they'd be down at and to tell them to bring their own food if they wanted something to eat cause there was nothing to eat in the house. They stopped and picked up some salad and were rang again when they were about 10 minutes away asking where they were that they were late. My wife couldn't understand why he was so anxious about 10 minutes, it came clear when they arrived, they were greeted by the brother and his wife in their jackets "the boys are in the living room, hope you got them food, we're going out for lunch, be back in a while".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Just remembered one - my ex stepmother in law (father in law has since divorced her) used to make the family take their underwear into the shower with them and wash it by hand there to save on washing. When her daughter came to stay with us for the first time she came out of the shower clutching a pair of wet knickers in her hand asking where she could put them to dry. I just told her we wash our underwear properly in this house. My husband said she used to make him do it too but luckily as soon as he left home he realised that is weird.

I'm not sure if it's scabby or not to want to save on washing but it seemed pretty gross to me to do it in that way. Surely underwear is the one thing you want washed properly?!

• Advertisement

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    Just remembered one - my ex stepmother in law (father in law has since divorced her) used to make the family take their underwear into the shower with them and wash it by hand there to save on washing. When her daughter came to stay with us for the first time she came out of the shower clutching a pair of wet knickers in her hand asking where she could put them to dry. I just told her we wash our underwear properly in this house. My husband said she used to make him do it too but luckily as soon as he left home he realised that is weird.

I'm not sure if it's scabby or not to want to save on washing but it seemed pretty gross to me to do it in that way. Surely underwear is the one thing you want washed properly?!

Weird! My OH does this but then washes them properly anyway, so I guess they end up cleaner! I heard Gaeltacht stories to this effect years ago. Girls being made to wash their underwear in the sink and such carry on. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Clareman wrote: »
    My wife and her parents were heading down to Kerry to visit her brother and his family, when they were about half way there they got a phone call asking what time they'd be down at and to tell them to bring their own food if they wanted something to eat cause there was nothing to eat in the house. They stopped and picked up some salad and were rang again when they were about 10 minutes away asking where they were that they were late. My wife couldn't understand why he was so anxious about 10 minutes, it came clear when they arrived, they were greeted by the brother and his wife in their jackets "the boys are in the living room, hope you got them food, we're going out for lunch, be back in a while".

That's so scummy.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Weird! My OH does this but then washes them properly anyway, so I guess they end up cleaner! I heard Gaeltacht stories to this effect years ago. Girls being made to wash their underwear in the sink and such carry on. :(

I had to do it once or twice when travelling (and run out clean knickers!). If you do it really thoroughly it's ok for an emergency, but jesus doing it like that all time time is rank. What did they use, body gel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dyer

was at the pub there sometime before christmas.. just stepped in to say hello to a few lads and have a quick pint. so i head to the bar and buy a round of drinks, 4 pints i think it was.. which came to about 20quid. i hand over my atm card as id no cash on me and ask for 50 cashback.. after a few tries bar tender comes back and tells me the machine doesnt seem to want to accept my card. i tell him to hang on and ill be back with the money. i head out and find one of the lads on the other side of the bar and explain my predicament, asking him if i could get the loan of 20 quid. he says no.. i think hes joking so all laughs aside i say 'cmon yer mans waiting for me to pay' ..to which im told i shouldn't have ordered the pints unless i had money to pay for them! i soon realised he was being serious so i left him at it. went to the bar and told the bar tender i was really sorry but i couldnt find the cash to pay, luckily he was sound and said i could drop it in the next day. i was seriously shocked, ive known the guy in question since i was a kid, and one of said pints was for him!! he did apologise the next day because he got such a slagging for it but its one of those things ill never forget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

dyer wrote: »
    was at the pub there sometime before christmas.. just stepped in to say hello to a few lads and have a quick pint. so i head to the bar and buy a round of drinks, 4 pints i think it was.. which came to about 20quid. i hand over my atm card as id no cash on me and ask for 50 cashback.. after a few tries bar tender comes back and tells me the machine doesnt seem to want to accept my card. i tell him to hang on and ill be back with the money. i head out and find one of the lads on the other side of the bar and explain my predicament, asking him if i could get the loan of 20 quid. he says no.. i think hes joking so all laughs aside i say 'cmon yer mans waiting for me to pay' ..to which im told i shouldn't have ordered the pints unless i had money to pay for them! i soon realised he was being serious so i left him at it. went to the bar and told the bar tender i was really sorry but i couldnt find the cash to pay, luckily he was sound and said i could drop it in the next day. i was seriously shocked, ive known the guy in question since i was a kid, and one of said pints was for him!! he did apologise the next day because he got such a slagging for it but its one of those things ill never forget.

I can kind of see where your mate was coming from, I have mates who constantly borrow money off me but never pay me back, maybe this was the case with your mate and hes probably just sick of it?
    I was in a bar lately with some friends, I ordered 3 drinks for myself, colm and ted(made up names)next round was teds, he comes back with a pint for himself and colm,none for me.next round was colms,he comes back with pints for all 3 of us,then it was my round again, I get myself a pint and 1 for colm.ted says where the fcuk is my pint in a half joking kind of way. fcuk off was my reply.he laughed but it was obvious he knew I was pi$$ed off with him to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

I was in a bar lately with some friends, I ordered 3 drinks for myself, colm and ted(made up names)next round was teds, he comes back with a pint for himself and colm,none for me.next round was colms,he comes back with pints for all 3 of us,then it was my round again, I get myself a pint and 1 for colm.ted says where the fcuk is my pint in a half joking kind of way. fcuk off was my reply.he laughed but it was obvious he knew I was pi$$ed off with him to say the least.

That's mad. There's no sane reason for that. If you bought him a pint why wouldn't he return it?!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I can kind of see where your mate was coming from, I have mates who constantly borrow money off me but never pay me back, maybe this was the case with your mate and hes probably just sick of it?
    Did you wrong Ted in some way? Cause Ted's not being stingy, Ted's just being an ass.

That's mad. There's no sane reason for that. If you bought him a pint why wouldn't he return it?!

because hes tight. some people think they are being clever doing things like that but they will loose many friends over it id say. when he went to get the round I hadnt finished my pint but he didnt even ask me what I wanted, he just asked colm what he wanted. he had some cheek then to say where the fcuk is my pint.:mad:

Denny M wrote: »
    Did you wrong Ted in some way? Cause otherwise, Ted's not being stingey, Ted's just being an ass.

nope. iv been nothing but a good mate to ted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I had to do it once or twice when travelling (and run out clean knickers!). If you do it really thoroughly it's ok for an emergency, but jesus doing it like that all time time is rank. What did they use, body gel?

I didn't ask - I wanted no more details on that one! It just seems so bizarre to me :) Even washing them in the shower before putting them in a normal wash is a bit weird. Why bother?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement