Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Myself and my wife were out with a lot of friends for a dinner in town. I'd say there were close to 20 people. Before any ordering was done it was agreed that we would split the bill evenly at the end, with the exception of one couple, friends of my wife who the rest of the group didn't particularly like, they said they wanted to pay for their own.

Anyway it comes to the end of the night and the one couple start picking through what they owned and claimed it came to something like €30 each, someone claimed BS as they'd had a three course meal with plenty of drinks so someone else went through the bill and calculated this couples total and it end up at closer to €60 each. They weren't including any of their alcohol, weren't including service charge and i think there were selective about what they actually ate.

While they slowly rummaged for their money someone totted up the rest and starting asking for €50 off everyone else at the table, once the couple heard that they asked could we just split the bill evenly between everyone, there was a simple one word reply from a friend "Bollix"

They haven't been asked to join us for dinner again.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭veryangryman

This is a test

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Fiend-Foe

This is a test

Fail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

This is a test

Pretty stingy post there.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Lawless2k12

A certain owner of a business I once worked in wouldn't let a little 6 year old off with 5 cent on a Yorkie after the price had gone from €1 to €1.05 from the previous week. Poor lad had bought it every week I'd seen him there and had brought the €1 for his bar every week. Was really upset walking out the door so I grabbed the bar and went out and handed it to him. Had to pay for the bar myself then :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

A woman told me today that she had been at the dentists the week before for a checkup. She happened to have her little daughter (4 years old) with her at the time. As she was paying the receptionist after the visit, her daughter went back to the dentist asking could she sit up in the big chair like her mammy.

Of course, the dentist says no problem, and up hops the kid. He makes a big fuss out of checking her teeth, and the kid is loving it. The whole thing lasted just slightly longer than the time it took the mam to pay by card, get a receipt, and book another appointment.

Apparently the dentist then tried to charge the mam for checking the kids teeth :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Ourlad

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Weird! My OH does this but then washes them properly anyway, so I guess they end up cleaner! I heard Gaeltacht stories to this effect years ago. Girls being made to wash their underwear in the sink and such carry on. :(

Tobias?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

I had to do it once or twice when travelling (and run out clean knickers!). If you do it really thoroughly it's ok for an emergency, but jesus doing it like that all time time is rank. What did they use, body gel?
    That's a bit different to doing it all the time though.
    There was a lad in the last gym I used to go to got out of the shower, took off his soaking wet jocks, laid them neatly on the shelf beside the hair dryer, proceeded to use said dryer in them and put them back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

I once saw a whino passed out on the street clutching his cans of beer (fourpack, one opened) and some scumbag who was walking on the opposite side of the street, crossed over and took the unopened cans and walked off looking very chuffed.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,182 ✭✭✭batistuta9

I once saw a whino passed out on the street clutching his cans of beer (fourpack, one opened) and some scumbag who was walking on the opposite side of the street, crossed over and took the unopened cans and walked off looking very chuffed.:rolleyes:

you snooze, you lose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

A guy a know ran out of a taxi one night without paying. The following week was hitching about 40 miles away for only the same taxi driver to pick him up minus the plate this time. hilarity ensued :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,629 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Where I work, all the English speaking staff in our department are given a furnished apartment for the duration of their contract. Now the furnishings are pretty basic, so we all end up buying stuff to make life more comfortable (coffee maker, armchair, small bookcase, something like that). When we move out, we need to get rid of this stuff - the apartment needs to be like the same as it was when we arrived.

I have another year to go on the contract, but a few people are leaving this year. Most of them are getting rid of their stuff - in Japan you often have to pay for disposal of stuff like this, especially electrical stuff, so the teachers just have to pay it.

But there is one guy who is just being a pr!ck about it, and is just dumping his stuff on everybody who is staying, and even on those who are just arriving. Like just dumping his Christmas tree in an apartment which is for a teacher who hasn't arrived yet, "sure she'd love to have a Christmas tree". He has two kids, so has some plastic cups and plates and stuff, so is putting those in another apartment, "in case they want to have a party or something". Putting a second sofa in another apartment because "they'll need it when they have friends over".

Being stingy but pretending (maybe even believing) that you're doing people a favour is extra bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,182 ✭✭✭batistuta9

his justification of it is hilarious though

Christmas tree - "sure she'd love to have a Christmas tree"
    plastic cups and plates and stuff - "in case they want to have a party or something"
    a second sofa - "they'll need it when they have friends over"

:pac::pac::pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

My brother in law was on the phone yesterday complaining that he had been barred from Smyth's, he had been bringing his kids there for the past couple of years every Saturday to play with the toys and never bought anything but last Saturday he was telling someone not to buy some toy there cause it was cheaper on line, the manager overheard and pointed out that he had been giving him the benefit of the doubt with him coming in every week without buying anything, but as he was not affecting his business he would appreciate it if he didn't come back. The BiL was freaking "how dare he", "I'll never darken his door", etc. etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Culleeo

My mother was ill recently and was admitted to hospital for a couple of weeks. Even though she has a medical card, my brother pays VHI for my mother weekly at work and has done so for a couple of years. His first words when he heard she was being admitted to the hospital were "All the years I've being paying the VHI for her is finally paying off".
    I was thinking he meant it in a way that she would get a private room in the hospital but when my mother said she would prefer to be in a ward and not be on her own, he started giving out, the mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Culleeo wrote: »
    My mother was ill recently and was admitted to hospital for a couple of weeks. Even though she has a medical card, my brother pays VHI for my mother weekly at work and has done so for a couple of years. His first words when he heard she was being admitted to the hospital were "All the years I've being paying the VHI for her is finally paying off".
    I was thinking he meant it in a way that she would get a private room in the hospital but when my mother said she would prefer to be in a ward and not be on her own, he started giving out, the mind boggles.

Fair enough if she wanted to be in a ward, she'd still get the benefits of having vhi, and in fairness to the man, that sh1t ain't cheap. Anyone who pays for someone else's health insurance can hardly be called mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Clareman wrote: »
    My brother in law was on the phone yesterday complaining that he had been barred from Smyth's, he had been bringing his kids there for the past couple of years every Saturday to play with the toys and never bought anything but last Saturday he was telling someone not to buy some toy there cause it was cheaper on line, the manager overheard and pointed out that he had been giving him the benefit of the doubt with him coming in every week without buying anything, but as he was not affecting his business he would appreciate it if he didn't come back. The BiL was freaking "how dare he", "I'll never darken his door", etc. etc.
    Im laughing at the idea of bringing his kids to a toy shop on a weekly basis and never buying them anything, thats pretty sadistic!

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭PaddyORuadhan

My mum... god rest her. Wouldn't call her stingy as she was very generous and giving, but she was very frugal. Like for example, in the fridge, there was a little tub filled with spare sauce sachets from mcdonalds or wherever we'd be out eating. And the ketchup bottle could not possibly go into the bin until it spent a good portion of its life upside down in the fridge door to make sure every drop of tomato sauce was out of it. Or would send me half way across town because beans where 10 cent cheaper at one shop, even though you'd spend more in petrol making the trip. :)

Well when I was in secondary school, I started seeing this girl and I was taking her out for dinner for our first date. My mum asked me what restaurant I was going to take her to, and when I told, she went to her purse to get a buy one get one free coupon she had squirreled away :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

My mum... god rest her. Wouldn't call her stingy as she was very generous and giving, but she was very frugal. Like for example, in the fridge, there was a little tub filled with spare sauce sachets from mcdonalds or wherever we'd be out eating. And the ketchup bottle could not possibly go into the bin until it spent a good portion of its life upside down in the fridge door to make sure every drop of tomato sauce was out of it. Or would send me half way across town because beans where 10 cent cheaper at one shop, even though you'd spend more in petrol making the trip. :)

Well when I was in secondary school, I started seeing this girl and I was taking her out for dinner for our first date. My mum asked me what restaurant I was going to take her to, and when I told, she went to her purse to get a buy one get one free coupon she had squirreled away :)

Oh, that takes me back... my mum is exactly the same.
    She'd be collecting sachets of sugar, salt and pepper and little packets of ketchup wherever she went. If there was a jar on a restaurant table with sachets like that, my mum would always grab a handful and put them in her handbag, for later use.

The funniest thing ever was when we were flying to a holiday in Turkey. We were on the plane, they had served breakfast and us kids were tucking in. My father was sitting with us, my mum was in the seat in front.
    When we had finished, my father winked at us and said "Wait for it now, any minute now she'll turn around and tell you keep those little portions of butter if you haven't used them". Sure enough, not a minute later my mum turns around and tells us to keep the butter. I looked at her utterly stunned and explained to her that we'd be spending the next week in a resort in Turkey, the rooms were very unlikely to have fridges and the temperatures would be in the 30s. How on earth did she expect that butter to last till we got home???

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭PaddyORuadhan

My mum died about 7 years ago now, and nobody in my family has the heart to throw out the sachets, its like a little shrine in the fridge. She was funny that way, but on the flip side she'd go to the ends of the world to get something that you wanted for your birthday, for example. Penny pinching on the mundane stuff so she could be generous on things that mattered to her family and friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I think some people are confusing meanness with being frugal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Culleeo wrote: »

I dont quite get how this belongs in the "stingy" tread.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Kinda stingy, i guess, but that's quite a nice story really.

(Doubt you thought that at the time, mind you :-) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Culleeo

Fair enough if she wanted to be in a ward, she'd still get the benefits of having vhi, and in fairness to the man, that sh1t ain't cheap. Anyone who pays for someone else's health insurance can hardly be called mean.
    OldNotWIse wrote: »
    I dont quite get how this belongs in the "stingy" tread.

Just to clear this up. I should've been clearer in my post. I thought there was an element of stinginess due to the fact that my mother was sick and the first thing that entered his head was the fact that he was now getting his value for money on the VHI. Nothing about, is mam okay or what's wrong with her, have they done tests etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

My mum died about 7 years ago now, and nobody in my family has the heart to throw out the sachets, its like a little shrine in the fridge. She was funny that way, but on the flip side she'd go to the ends of the world to get something that you wanted for your birthday, for example. Penny pinching on the mundane stuff so she could be generous on things that mattered to her family and friends.

My Mother is exactly the same, she does this with the biscuits in the wrappers you get with your tea and coffee, and also the butter jam etc. But as you said if she knew that either me or my sister needed anything she would go anywhere to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

Worked with a woman once who was alleged by her housemates to take the battery out of her alarm clock every morning and then put it back and reset the clock each night when going to bed. Tight as two coats of paint when it came to money, they had other tales of her famously mean streak as well....

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I'll go one better. My mother, sister and I went to stay in a nice hotel once and my sister decided to have a shower. Mam had taken the toiletries - shampoo, conditioner, body wash and squirreled them away in her bags before we got a chance to even use the bathroom. And she refused to return them, insisting that my sister get more from the housekeeping staff. :pac:

Yet she'd give you the shirt of her back, and its a regular argument in public when she insists on paying for everything. Like Mrs. Doyle and her mate in the coffee shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭gabsdot40

A woman told me today that she had been at the dentists the week before for a checkup. She happened to have her little daughter (4 years old) with her at the time. As she was paying the receptionist after the visit, her daughter went back to the dentist asking could she sit up in the big chair like her mammy.

Of course, the dentist says no problem, and up hops the kid. He makes a big fuss out of checking her teeth, and the kid is loving it. The whole thing lasted just slightly longer than the time it took the mam to pay by card, get a receipt, and book another appointment.

Apparently the dentist then tried to charge the mam for checking the kids teeth :mad:

That happened to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

Tight as two coats of paint when it came to money
    LOL:D

Thats up there with the manhole cover one.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭shoos

There's this amazingly stingy girl in my group of friends. I have so many stories of her being a general mean bitchy moron but this is one of my favourites.

On the stingy girl's birthday last year she had organised a night out for everyone. While having drinks in her house at the start of the night, her mam comes into the room and in front of everyone hands the stingy girl a €100 note saying "now this is go towards drinks for all the girls, we want you to have a great night!". Her mum is absolutely lovely and everyone was thanking her so much for the money, very cool thing to do. I had a sneaking suspicion however that'd be the last we'd see of the €100 note.

Sure enough we get to the club, make our way to the bar, no mention of the money. We know what this girl is like so we don't fight it, we all just buy our drinks and sit down. Next round goes in. Except the stingy girl hasn't bought herself anything, and finally she has the gall to express her upset that no one is buying her drinks seeing as it's her birthday. We all tell her she has money, plenty of money, from her mum in her purse to buy herself drinks with to which she just ignores and sulks for the next while. Eventually, realising we're not going to pay for her, she makes her way to the bar and orders herself a drink. Another friend who was up at the same time overheard her complaining to the bartender about it being her birthday and how ****ty friends we were for making her buy her own drinks! €100 note was never mentioned again.

Same girl will regularly never have money for taxis/drinks/food you name it. That is until she opens her purse and we catch a glimpse of a crisp €50 note in her wallet. When we ask her why she hasn't just used that to pay for anything we just get a "oh, that's.... I can't spend that, it's for my dad"... Such a mean, mean girl.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement