Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

shoos wrote: »
    There's this amazingly stingy girl in my group of friends. I have so many stories of her being a general mean bitchy moron but this is one of my favourites.

On the stingy girl's birthday last year she had organised a night out for everyone. While having drinks in her house at the start of the night, her mam comes into the room and in front of everyone hands the stingy girl a €100 note saying "now this is go towards drinks for all the girls, we want you to have a great night!". Her mum is absolutely lovely and everyone was thanking her so much for the money, very cool thing to do. I had a sneaking suspicion however that'd be the last we'd see of the €100 note.

Sure enough we get to the club, make our way to the bar, no mention of the money. We know what this girl is like so we don't fight it, we all just buy our drinks and sit down. Next round goes in. Except the stingy girl hasn't bought herself anything, and finally she has the gall to express her upset that no one is buying her drinks seeing as it's her birthday. We all tell her she has money, plenty of money, from her mum in her purse to buy herself drinks with to which she just ignores and sulks for the next while. Eventually, realising we're not going to pay for her, she makes her way to the bar and orders herself a drink. Another friend who was up at the same time overheard her complaining to the bartender about it being her birthday and how ****ty friends we were for making her buy her own drinks! €100 note was never mentioned again.

Same girl will regularly never have money for taxis/drinks/food you name it. That is until she opens her purse and we catch a glimpse of a crisp €50 note in her wallet. When we ask her why she hasn't just used that to pay for anything we just get a "oh, that's.... I can't spend that, it's for my dad"... Such a mean, mean girl.

How has she friends?
    Or more to the point, why are you one of them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I was in the Gym this evening and I spotted a guy whom is a regular there and he was inside in the bathroom of the mens changing room toilets using the washbasin and he was shaving and this was not the first time I seen him doing it either. Ok first time I seen it I said maybe he has to go to work after his workout etc. giving him the benefit of doubt but twice just harks of pure meanness, probably takes his shower there too.

Then in the middle of my workout I had drank like 2 litres of water and went down to the toilet and found another stingebag there shaving himself too! Like seriously! I even spotted one guy checking the lockers incase anyone forgot the €1 refundable coin to lock the locker. I forgot my €1 coin there last week and that miserable git probably found it, bet it made his week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Over Paddy's weekend we were all at a mate's house before going out. We've about 30 minutes left before we're due to go. Host brings in a 2L bottle of vodka, and tells everyone they can have some if they want. One of the girls produces an empty naggin from her bag, fills it to the brim, closes it, and puts it back in her bag, going "that'll do for the next night out" with a shît eating grin on her face...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Stinicker wrote: »
    I was in the Gym this evening and I spotted a guy whom is a regular there and he was inside in the bathroom of the mens changing room toilets using the washbasin and he was shaving and this was not the first time I seen him doing it either. Ok first time I seen it I said maybe he has to go to work after his workout etc. giving him the benefit of doubt but twice just harks of pure meanness, probably takes his shower there too.

Then in the middle of my workout I had drank like 2 litres of water and went down to the toilet and found another stingebag there shaving himself too! Like seriously! I even spotted one guy checking the lockers incase anyone forgot the €1 refundable coin to lock the locker. I forgot my €1 coin there last week and that miserable git probably found it, bet it made his week!

What's wrong with shaving and showering at the gym?
    I don't see why he would shave there but his business I guess.
    I wouldn't see it as stingy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

I was in the Gym this evening and I spotted a guy whom is a regular there and he was inside in the bathroom of the mens changing room toilets using the washbasin and he was shaving

What? Tell me you're taking the piss.

Nate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

That's why they have showers at the gym. Most people don't want to put on their regular clothes on a sweaty body. Nothing wrong with shaving there either. Come in to the ladies changing room and you'll see women blow drying their hair and putting on makeup. That's what changing rooms are for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I take a shower at the gym myself as I'd usually be all sweaty etc; and I don't have a problem with shower but to shave in the vanity washbasin of the toilets to me was exceptionally weird and I just put it down to stingyness.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

Drinking two litres of water is way too much..

thats a 3hour gym session. hyponatremia on the way ..

Nothing wrong with shaving in the gym ffs..

Showering too :O

Madness...

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Bucklesman

I take a shower at the gym myself as I'd usually be all sweaty etc; and I don't have a problem with shower but to shave in the vanity washbasin of the toilets to me was exceptionally weird and I just put it down to stingyness.

I don't see how shaving at the gym could possibly be save the tightest of ducky bumholes even the slightest whiff of a quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,182 ✭✭✭batistuta9

what if the gym's the only place they shave?

Which i think is what the poster who mentioned it thought they were doing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I used to be a member of one ben dunne's gyms years ago. Would often see guys shaving in the sink. But the sinks in the shower area. I too did it myself a few times. Wasn't out of stingyness, because most people would go to the steam rooms for a few mins then shave. Your pours do be open and it's a real smooth shave. Out of hygenic reasons you'd never fill the sink up with water then dump your razor in. hell no. Just rinse your razor as you shave.

You say doing it in the sinks of the toilets? personally i wouldnt do it there. Not when there are shower area sinks. But if someone wanted to? it's hardly stingy. They are paying for the membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Nothing weird about it at all. After a shower is the best time to shave.
    I've never done it at the gym myself, but it's a fairly standard practice.
    If I had somewhere to go after the gym I'd have no problem bringing my razor with me.

How does stingy come in to play here though?
    Are they stealing shaving foam and razors from the gym or something?

BizzyC wrote: »

How does stingy come in to play here though?
    Are they stealing shaving foam and razors from the gym or something?

what if they only shave at the gym - would you call that stingy?

batistuta9 wrote: »

Not really.

I assume they've bought the shaving gear themselves and are paying a membership to the gym...

Not really.

I assume they've bought the shaving gear themselves and are paying a membership to the gym...

but they'd be stinging on their own hot water...

+ they could be going the whole way to the gym to shave :pac:

i'm not sure about it tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

As mentioned already there is nothing stingy about it at all.... it's a shave.

If you shave go to the gym regularly, say 3 times a week, and shave regularly, say, 3 times a week, then it's just a matter of saving time that you shave at the gym. Make it a part of your routine.

Here's the bit that could seem stingy, it means you don't have to turn on the hot water at home to have a shave.

I never shave, only trim. Is that stingy too now?

As mentioned already there is nothing stingy about it at all.... it's a shave.

If you shave go to the gym regularly, say 3 times a week, and shave regularly, say, 3 times a week, then it's just a matter of saving time that you shave at the gym. Make it a part of your routine.

Here's the bit that could seem stingy, it means you don't have to turn on the hot water at home to have a shave.

I never shave, only trim. Is that stingy too now?

Apart from the hot water, the bit where it could be seen as stingy is if the person went specifically to the gym to shave, same as going there for a shower

if you went round your mates, used their trimmer or electricity that'd be stingy, so too would driving to a gym to plug in your trimmer to save a few cent on electricity but you probably don't do that, so you? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 41,067 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I don't think that is stingy

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 41,067 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Apart from the hot water, the bit where it could be seen as stingy is if the person went specifically to the gym to shave, same as going there for a shower

if you went round your mates, used their trimmer or electricity that'd be stingy, so too would driving to a gym to plug in your trimmer to save a few cent on electricity but you probably don't do that, so you? :D

No: not seeing any stinginess there at all. Hes paying for a gym membership. A stingy person wouldn't

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I don't think that is stingy

Anyone who shaves regularly knows that the best time to shave is after a shower - your facial hairs are easier to cut and your pores are open from the hot water. perfectly reasonable to have a shave in the gym, I see fellas doing it all the time, and i've seen fellas do it at swimming pools as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Anyone who shaves regularly knows that the best time to shave is after a shower - your facial hairs are easier to cut and your pores are open from the hot water. perfectly reasonable to have a shave in the gym, I see fellas doing it all the time, and i've seen fellas do it at swimming pools as well.

That is fcuking rank! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Red Kev wrote: »
    That is fcuking rank! :mad:

They dont shave in the pool like, its standing up at the sink in the dressing room. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,957 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

They dont shave in the pool like, its standing up at the sink in the dressing room. :confused:
    I think he meant "doing it" in a different way ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

There's this amazingly stingy girl in my group of friends. I have so many stories of her being a general mean bitchy moron but this is one of my favourites.

On the stingy girl's birthday last year she had organised a night out for everyone. While having drinks in her house at the start of the night, her mam comes into the room and in front of everyone hands the stingy girl a €100 note saying "now this is go towards drinks for all the girls, we want you to have a great night!". Her mum is absolutely lovely and everyone was thanking her so much for the money, very cool thing to do. I had a sneaking suspicion however that'd be the last we'd see of the €100 note.

Sure enough we get to the club, make our way to the bar, no mention of the money. We know what this girl is like so we don't fight it, we all just buy our drinks and sit down. Next round goes in. Except the stingy girl hasn't bought herself anything, and finally she has the gall to express her upset that no one is buying her drinks seeing as it's her birthday. We all tell her she has money, plenty of money, from her mum in her purse to buy herself drinks with to which she just ignores and sulks for the next while. Eventually, realising we're not going to pay for her, she makes her way to the bar and orders herself a drink. Another friend who was up at the same time overheard her complaining to the bartender about it being her birthday and how ****ty friends we were for making her buy her own drinks! €100 note was never mentioned again.

Same girl will regularly never have money for taxis/drinks/food you name it. That is until she opens her purse and we catch a glimpse of a crisp €50 note in her wallet. When we ask her why she hasn't just used that to pay for anything we just get a "oh, that's.... I can't spend that, it's for my dad"... Such a mean, mean girl.

I think this is where I stopped believing the story :p

Who shaves with hot water?
    Hot water before the shave (shower) to open the pours.
    Hot water during the shave is bad for the skin.

Anyway enough of shaving at the gym, we've established it's not stingy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Hot water before the shave (shower) to open the pours.

You can't open pores. They don't expend are contract with temperature. That's just a marketing myth.

Donny5 wrote: »
    You can't open pores. They don't expend are contract with temperature. That's just a marketing myth.

Marketing myth for hot water??

They don't actually get bigger, but the hot water helps clear debris and sebum from them making them less blocked up, or "open".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

This thread is getting awfully stingy with it's stingy stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    I think this is where I stopped believing the story :p

What's so unbelievable about a €100 note? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Nopeare

Why are you still friends with her?

We have all had friends like that in the past so not throwing stones. I had a friend do the same thing when it comes to paying no matter what night we were out his wallet got robbed when it came to paying for a taxi etc. A couple of years ago for my 21st was the last straw for me. I had the usual party in a pub and instead of going to a night club decided to go back home (I go wandering and usually lose everyone in night clubs, so home was better), but anyway my parents spent a fortune on drink for everyone there were about 50-60 that came back between family and friends and he came in took up a bottle of vodka (1L) and mixer went straight out the back, sort of hid it in a corner and went in and out to top up his drink. I lost it after about an hour and threw him out and just distanced myself from him. I'm not saying be rude, I still say hello and talk to him when I see him out but have no interest in his company.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement