Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,957 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

My father knows a man, who, when selling his house, went through it and removed every door, lightbulb, light fitting, radiator, lightswitch, wall sockets....he was building his own house and wanted to take everything out ... his idea was that the person was paying for a house and not extra fancy goods. .. miserable fucking bastard to say the least.
    There's this guy from Cavan who lives on my street. I was walking past his house once and seen through the window that he was stripping wallpaper. The window was open so I shouted in asking him was he repapering or painting, he said 'Neither - I'm moving'

True Story*

*may not be true

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Lads, will ye ever fook off with the shaving in the gym nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lkionm

What so you know about growing facial hair, hater?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

And the ketchup bottle could not possibly go into the bin until it spent a good portion of its life upside down in the fridge door to make sure every drop of tomato sauce was out of it.

..that's not too bad. I grew up with my mum cutting the toothpaste tube in two to scratch out the last bits..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

One thing I think is stingy is when "friends" leave the onus on you to chase them up if they borrowed money off you. I knew one or two people like this in secondary school who if you would decide to give them a dig out would just burn you and then act like the amount of money is not worth worrying about. It has been enough for me to cut off friendships because it shows a lack of respect for the other person.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Chemical Burn

Shaving straight out of the sauna / Turkish bath / steam room ....etc, is very good for your skin and the optimum time to shave. Your pores are opened and very little, if any, irritation occurs to your skin as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,067 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Shaving straight out of the sauna / Turkish bath / steam room ....etc, is very good for your skin and the optimum time to shave. Your pores are opened and very little, if any, irritation occurs to your skin as a result.

http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1103

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Lawless2k12

I never go to the gym!

Do you even lift bro?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Remmy wrote: »
    One thing I think is stingy is when "friends" leave the onus on you to chase them up if they borrowed money off you. I knew one or two people like this in secondary school who if you would decide to give them a dig out would just burn you and then act like the amount of money is not worth worrying about. It has been enough for me to cut off friendships because it shows a lack of respect for the other person.

they become frenemies This term was first used in US in 1977, and was included in a North American English dictionary in 2009. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Wouldn't you need to see the contract before offering an opinion on it?

Of course. But do you not think its "reasonable" to assume a house is worth less with no central heating, doors or electrical fixtures? I'm hardly making wild assumptions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭bit of a bogey

This thread is hilarious!
    I have one friend who is unbelievable and I could talk about all day. The kind who takes home the remaining 6 or 7 McDonalds chips to reheat and eat the next day.

I went away with him one time, just himself, me and one other. He’s great craic but never again. Basically it was a piss up and we spent 3 solid days in and out of pubs but every single time I had to tell him when it was his round. We’d all be sitting there with empty glasses for ten minutes. Broke my heart!

Another time on a night out he was stuck for money and asked me for a lend of money so I gave him fifty (found out later that night that one of the other lads also gave him 50!). Didn’t see him for about another month but when I did he came up to me and said here is the money I owe you….and gave me a 20! He knew I hadn’t forgotten but wouldn’t bother saying anything - I learnt my lesson.

The best one was when I went away on a stag with him. We are sitting in the pub and we decide that we would all throw in a tenner to get the groom to be a “stripper”. So the money is put on the table and the groom goes off down the road to get his present. Arrives back 10 mins later and says lads I bottled it. I couldn’t go ahead with it and he throws the money back down on the table. Everyone reaches in and takes their tenner back but when I go to take mine there’s none left. I harp up saying I didn’t get mine back! My stingy mate reaches into his pocket and gives me a tenner-oh he says, I never put one in!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

The best one was when I went away on a stag with him. We are sitting in the pub and we decide that we would all throw in a tenner to get the groom to be a “stripper”. So the money is put on the table and the groom goes off down the road to get his present. Arrives back 10 mins later and says lads I bottled it.

Comma's are important sometimes :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Comma's are important sometimes :pac:

There's no comma needed in there. Not misusing apostrophes is also important :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

bluewolf wrote: »
    There's no comma needed in there. Not misusing apostrophes is also important :pac:

:( Damn you...

But would it not be correct given he was going to the stripper that it read "the groom to be, a stripper." Otherwise it sounds like he's being a stripper.

:( Damn you...

But would it not be correct given he was going to the stripper that it read "the groom to be, a stripper." Otherwise it sounds like he's being a stripper.

No; if you really wanted it to be clear, you could say "we were going to get a stripper for the groom to be/future groom/prospective groom". No commas.
    It does sound funny though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

See ye in 80 or so posts when this ^^^ is finished!:pac::pac:

I knew this poster once who was so stingy with stingy stories, they posted on the stingy story thread about apostrophes...
    No wait :(

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭stmol32

The kind who takes home the remaining 6 or 7 McDonalds chips to reheat and eat the next day.

Who the hell leaves 6 or 7 McDonalds chips behind?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Anyone who shaves regularly knows that the best time to shave is after a shower - your facial hairs are easier to cut and your pores are open from the hot water. perfectly reasonable to have a shave in the gym, I see fellas doing it all the time, and i've seen fellas do it at swimming pools as well.
    The closest shave you will ever get is after coming out of a steam room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BeerSteakBirds

I dont know whats stingy about showering and shaving in the gym. I work out every morning and thats where I shower and shave. You expect me to shower twice or shower at home where its bloody freezing instead ? Better not add any more dampness to my bathroom than necessary in fact :D .Nobody notices and I always clean up any mess which is easy if you shave inside a shower cubicle with a suction cup stick on mirror :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Katy89

..with a suction cup stick on mirror :)

with what???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Katy89 wrote: »
    with what???
    It's an alternative use for a moon cup

• Registered Users Posts: 6 WastingLight

Seeing a woman about 70 years old scream at the person behind the till when they "forgot" to give her 1c change would be one of mine...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BeerSteakBirds

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Seen a post from a guy on the internet once, he was too stingy to even stick up a picture. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭cuana

My brother in law is the meanest person I have ever met.......... seriously unreal

So my sister! decides to get married a number of us head over they kindly offered for us to stay in there house which was great we arrived in we were given a list of jobs to do.......... ok we're happy to oblige but our first week of the holiday was a working holiday and I mean did we work!! from painting, gardening, to carpentry any family member with a skill was put to use - FREE LABOR by the time they were married we were exhausted having spent the week running around & the night before wedding putting up decorations before wedding! The thing that upset me was the fact that we worked extremely hard to get there in the first place, spent a fortune to get over, gifted them generously & ended up saving them a small fortune in maintenance of there home ehhhhh we were on holiday!!

In the meantime my then BF was just after moving over! So anyhow we all had made different plans & met occasionally I was due to meet my family in a nearby city when my brother in law suggested staying with my BF & I due to cost of hotels!

I figured it would happen so off I went shopping spent a fortune prepared a dinner & breakfast for 8 two for nights so they were fed & watered!! I didn't care it was fun anyhow we did a small amount of travelling around when they left my brother in law suggested I should pay my share of the fuel................ :mad:

When he lived in Ireland he accept a pint but would never ever buy one in return! He lived here three years and never bought a round

I love him to bits but he occasionally makes my blood boil :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

cuana wrote: »
    My brother in law is the meanest person I have ever met.......... seriously unreal

So my sister! decides to get married a number of us head over they kindly offered for us to stay in there house which was great we arrived in we were given a list of jobs to do.......... ok we're happy to oblige but our first week of the holiday was a working holiday and I mean did we work!! from painting, gardening, to carpentry any family member with a skill was put to use - FREE LABOR by the time they were married we were exhausted having spent the week running around & the night before wedding putting up decorations before wedding! The thing that upset me was the fact that we worked extremely hard to get there in the first place, spent a fortune to get over, gifted them generously & ended up saving them a small fortune in maintenance of there home ehhhhh we were on holiday!!

In the meantime my then BF was just after moving over! So anyhow we all had made different plans & met occasionally I was due to meet my family in a nearby city when my brother in law suggested staying with my BF & I due to cost of hotels!

I figured it would happen so off I went shopping spent a fortune prepared a dinner & breakfast for 8 two for nights so they were fed & watered!! I didn't care it was fun anyhow we did a small amount of travelling around when they left my brother in law suggested I should pay my share of the fuel................ :mad:

When he lived in Ireland he accept a pint but would never ever buy one in return! He lived here three years and never bought a round

I love him to bits but he occasionally makes my blood boil :mad:

Seriously stingy use of punctuation there :P

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭cuana

Eathrin wrote: »
    Seriously stingy use of punctuation there :P

Guilty!! I'm the worst :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

My sister is the worse , still waiting on my birthday present that was 4 months ago she always does it.

Also she takes the toilet roll from the local town centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Darren 83 wrote: »
    My sister is the worse , still waiting on my birthday present that was 4 months ago she always does it.

Also she takes the toilet roll from the local town centre.

My old boss would use the same tea bag to make 3 cups of tea!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement