Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

People still use change on the bus? :) Do you actually tell the driver how much you put in? As far as I could see they just look at it and count it by eye, not always correct. So if you don't tell then, how are they meant to know :) I always get mine without asking, but then again I got a leap card a long long time ago.

Prob doesn't belong in this thread. Yeah I always say what I'm putting in. Some of them have been trying to fob me off lately I think, just print the ticket and look away. I'll just get a leap card. Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Mocha Joe wrote: »
    It seems to me like more and more bus drivers aren't printing off the change on receipts when you pay 5c, 15c more or whatever. I regularly pay 5c more due to not having correct change. I ask for it everytime. Is this stingy?

I don't think its stingy. It's your money after all.
    Besides, I think Dublin Bus is a rip off. 2.80 to get into town and another 2.80 on the way back. Psssh.

But they are also sneaky feckers too. The minimum bus fare is 1.65. You would need at least 4 coins to pay that. It's not like it's rounded off to 1.50, no, because they want you to put more in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

montyrebel wrote: »
    I bet you 10p you didnt :P

You just lost 10p :D
    You didn't really do that, did you? Be honest now.:pac:

Edit: Just saw someone beat me to it. :D

I really did, like I said I was having a really bad day and while normally I would just think of doing that and keep it in, I let it out :)
    billy2012 wrote: »
    LOL!! I was thinking exactly the same thing. She prob wanted to do it, or suddenly thought of it afterwards but I doubt it actually happened.

There is a MAN at the end of my username for a reason! :mad: :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

GAAman wrote: »
    There is a MAN at the end of my username for a reason! :mad: :)

Yeh but the fact you like GAA is a giveaway, sorry toots

• Registered Users Posts: 78,416 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I don't think its stingy. It's your money after all.
    Besides, I think Dublin Bus is a rip off. 2.80 to get into town and another 2.80 on the way back. Psssh.

But they are also sneaky feckers too. The minimum bus fare is 1.65. You would need at least 4 coins to pay that. It's not like it's rounded off to 1.50, no, because they want you to put more in.
    Get a Leap Card!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

I heard this from a friend:
    Years ago in college they were making dinner and a housemate famous for his deep-pockets popped out to a shop to buy a bottle of ketchup. He said no-one else could have any unless they paid their part of what it cost. No-one paid and no-one else had ketchup.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

nuxxx wrote: »
    A friend of my dads has been visiting him for years, usually every Sunday night. He comes in, turns on the light and grabs the Sunday paper my Dad had previously bought that morning and puts his feet up on the chair. Then he`ll open a single can of cheap lager that he bought in Aldi or Lidl and sip on it for a good two hours. He even has the cheek to change the tv station if my Dad is watching something else. It used to my Dads beer he drank until he stopped giving it to him.

On top of that he's always asking me to download videos for him, or check Car auctions and print out the lists, never got a euro off him for doing it, the worst part is after doing it he'd barely say thanks. He never gave us a penny as kids for our confirmation, christmas etc. My Dad lose's it with him every so often and he won't show around for a month or two, he hasn't shown up for around 7 now, that being the longest, he changed the channel during the all Ireland highlights show and my Dad lost it.

This lad is loaded, parents are Dead and left him loads of land and works in a really well paid job. He doesn't even have a TV in his house and never lets anyone inside, how my Dad put up with him is beyond me.

Ignorant and pure stingy, it baffles my mind why some people are like that. Like where do they get that trait from, their Parents? Fcuk knows

It baffles me why some people let others walk all over them and not do something about it. I have no sympathy for anyone on here who doesn't have the balls to stand up for themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Mocha Joe wrote: »
    It seems to me like more and more bus drivers aren't printing off the change on receipts when you pay 5c, 15c more or whatever. I regularly pay 5c more due to not having correct change. I ask for it everytime. Is this stingy?

I imagine one of the first responses will be "Get a Leap card".

I notice this too, and frequently the answer is "where are you going?" as if this is in any way relevant to being short changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭UrsusMaritimus

Having been entertained by this thread for the last couple of days i have to add one from a really nice person I work with, we'll call him Pat.

Pat heard his supervisor, Jim, had bought a brand new chainsaw and asked could he borrow it, Jim being the person he was loaned it to him no bother.
    Months passed and another co-worker, we'll call him Gerry, asked Jim could he borrow the saw for a night, poor Jim was so long without his own saw, that he had never actually used, he had forgotten he even had bought it. Gerry reminded Jim that Pat had the saw and said he would get it off of him. Gerry also said he would give it back to Jim once he was finished.

Gerry got the saw and used it on the Saturday of a weekend to do his few bits, then on Sunday who arrived at his door looking for the saw back only, Pat, complete with family in toe looking to be fed anything they could get their hands on while at Gerry's house.
    Reluctantly Gerry handed the saw over to Pat and he ****ed off with it back to his. So Gerry let Jim know what happen and hoped he would sort it out.
    Now here is the really sick part to this ****er, not only did he take back a saw that wasn't his but Jim passed away very suddenly of a heart attack and at the pub after his funeral, Pat turned to Gerry and said, "I guess he won't be needing his saw now, I may as well keep it" and still has it to this day.

There are an awful lot of mean ****es where i work, the fridge in the canteen is regularly out of milk first thing in the mornings as they all take cartons home with them in the evenings, what makes it better is the guys who take the milk bitch the most when there is none there the next day. To be honest i don't know if some of them are stingy or just plain stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Now here is the really sick part to this ****er, not only did he take back a saw that wasn't his but Jim passed away very suddenly of a heart attack and at the pub after his funeral, Pat turned to Gerry and said, "I guess he won't be needing his saw now, I may as well keep it" and still has it to this day.

would have grabbed him by the throat

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lkionm

weemcd wrote: »
    would have grabbed him by the throat

Lies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I once gifted a pile of frozen pizzas to a certain workplace locally for the staff to enjoy...all gone the next morning with only two people on night shift

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

When I was a young lad, I worked in a factory making roller shutters.

Being the young lad I was the shop boy, most lads were sound get is a roll and a paper here's a fiver hold onto the rest, but there was a Russian lad, Alex was his name and he was mean.
    He would ask for every single brown penny back in his change, even if it was a single brown penny and he'd burn me from time ordering stuff and not giving enough money for it and I'd never see myself reimbursed.

One day I was fairly fed up with him being a bollix so when he handed me a £20 note for a can of coke I decided to get some pay back.

When I handed him the coke he asked for his change which I handed him 3 whopper hsndfuls of 1p and 2p coins, he filpped the lid demanding "REAL MONEY" I told him "it is real money" and walked off to the sounds of him going mad and what made it better he counted it over the day found he was 20p short and wanted it back. HA, no chance.

I was never asked to get him anything in the shop ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭iarann

Was at a trade conference, the ticket price included dinner (finger food) and came with a drink voucher. A few of us were heading to the bar when a sales rep came over that most of us knew, real sales guy, lots of chat etc, the sales guy says "I'll get the first round in, pass over your vouchers here". I can remember his name but not his company!!!

In shopping centre Waiting for OH and watching life (well life in a shopping centre) go by when I noticed a butcher coming out of Dunnes, he had apron, knife belt the works. His was carrying about 10 packs of Dunnes sausages.

Not a bother on him, he walks straight across the corridor to his butchers shop, unwraps the sausages and puts them on a tray for sale as butchers sausages. Ok they probably didn't have a 'home made' or such like label, but i thought that was fair bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

joe stodge wrote: »
    I lol'd at the reason for your edit, not sure if serious.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 5 icagirl

nuxxx wrote: »
    A friend of my dads has been visiting him for years, usually every Sunday night. He comes in, turns on the light and grabs the Sunday paper my Dad had previously bought that morning and puts his feet up on the chair. Then he`ll open a single can of cheap lager that he bought in Aldi or Lidl and sip on it for a good two hours. He even has the cheek to change the tv station if my Dad is watching something else. It used to my Dads beer he drank until he stopped giving it to him.

On top of that he's always asking me to download videos for him, or check Car auctions and print out the lists, never got a euro off him for doing it, the worst part is after doing it he'd barely say thanks. He never gave us a penny as kids for our confirmation, christmas etc. My Dad lose's it with him every so often and he won't show around for a month or two, he hasn't shown up for around 7 now, that being the longest, he changed the channel during the all Ireland highlights show and my Dad lost it.

This lad is loaded, parents are Dead and left him loads of land and works in a really well paid job. He doesn't even have a TV in his house and never lets anyone inside, how my Dad put up with him is beyond me.

Ignorant and pure stingy, it baffles my mind why some people are like that. Like where do they get that trait from, their Parents? Fcuk knows
    I think he moved to America, because I think I just dated him. ugggh

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Strawberry Swan

A guy I know was buying books and really wanted to buy one particular book which was €5 and it was the last one left. He didn't have enough money left over so his friend with him suggested they share the book! He said no it was ok. Then she bought it for herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

A guy I know was buying books and really wanted to buy one particular book which was €5 and it was the last one left. He didn't have enough money left over so his friend with him suggested they share the book! He said no it was ok. Then she bought it for herself.
    Seems reasonable. He wasn't buying it and didn't want to buy it with her so she bought it?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Strawberry Swan

Really? It's reasonable not to give your friend a fiver to a buy a book they saw first and really wanted? I would never do that to a friend. And how does one 'share' a book?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Really? It's reasonable not to give your friend a fiver to a buy a book they saw first and really wanted? I would never do that to a friend. And how does one 'share' a book?

It'd be reasonable to just lend them the book after you're finished with it, or tell them to join a library.

• Advertisement

I assume sharing would involve both reading the book in turn. Why does the friend have no right to the book? She really wanted it too and actually had the money for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

iarann wrote: »
    Was at a trade conference, the ticket price included dinner (finger food) and came with a drink voucher. A few of us were heading to the bar when a sales rep came over that most of us knew, real sales guy, lots of chat etc, the sales guy says "I'll get the first round in, pass over your vouchers here". I can remember his name but not his company!!!

Please say that no-one did. Please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dh0011

was in college and on the beer with a few lads. A girl we kenw was going around getting all of to go for shots with her. The tight lad saw this and moved his money from his wallet to his pocket. When she came over to get him to go for shots, he opened his wallet and showed her there was no money inside. He also made a sad face. She then bought him a drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

is the girl not tight for swindling free shots out of everyone?

no she was buying her own just wanted to have a drink with everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ms. Pingui

retalivity wrote: »
    is the girl not tight for swindling free shots out of everyone?

I think everyone was buying their own shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

She was forcing everybody to buy shots essentially. If he did it because he didn't want to spend his money on a shot I'd say fair enough but he shouldn't have accepted the drink from the girl when he had the money to buy it himself. That was stingy.

Eathrin wrote: »
    She was forcing everybody to buy shots essentially. If he did it because he didn't want to spend his money on a shot I'd say fair enough but he shouldn't have accepted the drink from the girl when he had the money to buy it himself. That was stingy.
    we were all willing participants

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

dh0011 wrote: »
    we were all willing participants

Ah that's really bad of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

iarann wrote: »
    Was at a trade conference, the ticket price included dinner (finger food) and came with a drink voucher. A few of us were heading to the bar when a sales rep came over that most of us knew, real sales guy, lots of chat etc, the sales guy says "I'll get the first round in, pass over your vouchers here". I can remember his name but not his company!!!.

That reminds me of a story my Dad told me about a notoriously stingy uncle of mine. At some family get together in the pub, there werearound six lads in the round.

After the 3rd or 4th pint, an old friend of not just my stingy uncle, but also other people at the table, came over and said hello. He was delighted to see everyone, chatted for 20 minutes and left. The next thing a round landed over at the table courtesy of the old friend.

Anyway, the night went on until it was the finally the stingy uncle's round. He refused to buy it as he claimed they would not have got that free round if it wasn't for him, therefore that was his round. And he refused to pay up. Basically drank for free all night

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement