Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

shoos wrote: »
    There's a very odd old couple that lives a few doors down from us. They don't have bin collection and have apparently never had bin collection according to some of the neighbours. Instead they'll sneak out in the night and leave all their rubbish in everyone else's bins, the cheek of them! Even when they're caught out or confronted they'll continue to do it, they've absolutely no shame. Some people on the street have started padlocking their bins shut.

Just put a powerful spring in the bin with a pile of "smelly" rubbish on top, she'll get a rather nasty surprise the next time she opens the bib jack in the box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Tonto86 wrote: »
    Dont the post office stamp the stamp to show its used?

Every so often you'll get lucky and the post office won't have franked the stamp or will have franked it and missed the stamp completely. It won't work normally if the post office have franked the stamp so can't see how that posters Dad is able to do that so often.

If I get a letter with an unfranked stamp I soak it and use it again. Why not if the PO hasn't bothered to frank it? I don't consider it stingy, more thrifty!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

We get more un-post marked stamps than post marked stamps. Sometimes they'll just put a line through the stamp with a pen

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

When I was back in Ireland last summer I usually took the bus from Dublin to Galway for weekends as I was seeing somebody down there. It only cost 20e return with Gobus. I'm well used to taking long bus journeys at this stage so I don't mind at all. Well last summer my friend also started seeing somebody over in Galway and she started asking me what weekends I'd be going and if I'd accompany her in the car.

Sound, didn't mind that at all. First time I asked her how much she wanted for petrol and she said 20e. Grand, then on the way back on Sunday evening, she asked for another 10e. I don't drive, so I don't know how much petrol she'd need to put in her car to get us there.. but I know that what was cheaper for me (a student btw) was to take the Gobus. After going with her 4 weekends in the car, I finally said I'd start taking the bus again since it gives me a bit more independence with regards to what time I fancy leaving etc, and also it's cheaper for me. Well she made a show of me.. told all our friends that I was being too stingy to pay for her petrol and would rather take the bus alone.........

What do you think? Was I being stingy, or was the stinge on her?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Butterface wrote: »

In a 1.1 or so car, it would cost about 30 return from Dublin to Galway.... she's the stinge not paying any of it.... she'd justify it by saying she's giving you a lift... but she's going anyway, so to charge you the full whack is stingy.... 15 and a pack of tayto and she's grand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

Galway to Dublin return does not cost €60 fuel unless your driving a 20 year old land rover with a leaking fuel tank.

I think your "friend" was taking advantage.

Even if they weren't and their incredibly fuel inefficient car did need that much petrol it would be totally unreasonable to get annoyed at you or mock you in anyway for choosing a cheaper more flexible mode of transportation.

Your friend sounds like an ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Tonto86 wrote: »
    Dont the post office stamp the stamp to show its used?
    Only about 70% of the time according to the aul lad haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

A few of us were sitting in the canteen in work a few months back.

Someone asked me about getting an adapter for their laptop, and we
    got talking about how to wire a plug.

A chap at the table pipes up and says "I'd never need to buy a plug.
    Every few months at the weekends I go to the recycling center with
    my garden shears and cut the plugs off appliances in the recycling bins." Classy.

I heard a story about Mick Jagger from the Rolling Stones. Apparently he's really
    mean. Anyway, a few years ago, their manager was being interviewed for some
    music magazine.

After the interview was over, the journalist turns off his tape recorder and says
    "Listen, I have to ask about this thing I heard. Apparently Mick Jagger was out
    last month with a large group of friends for dinner in a swanky London restaurant.
    There were more than 20 people in the party, ordering tons of stuff and having a
    great night. When it was over, Mick paid the bill, and left a £1 tip. Is this true?"

The manager turns and says "I was there that night and no, that's not true. Mick Jagger
    would never leave that kind of money lying around."

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    If I get a letter with an unfranked stamp I soak it and use it again. Why not if the PO hasn't bothered to frank it? I don't consider it stingy, more thrifty!

Postage is calculated depending on the costs of sending the post. So by reusing stamps you're sending post (which incurs cost) without paying, which then bumps up the price of postage for everyone else. Therein lies the stinge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

A chap at the table pipes up and says "I'd never need to buy a plug. Every few months at the weekends I go to the recycling center with my garden shears and cut the plugs off appliances in the recycling bins." Classy.
    I think that's quite clever - he goes to a recycling centre and actually recycles what other people have thrown away.
    He may do it because he's mean but he is being environmentaly friendly :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

Galway to Dublin return does not cost €60 fuel unless your driving a 20 year old land rover with a leaking fuel tank.

Even if they weren't and their incredibly fuel inefficient car did need that much petrol it would be totally unreasonable to get annoyed at you or mock you in anyway for choosing a cheaper more flexible mode of transportation.

I knew she was taking advantage of my lack of knowledge about petrol costs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    I think that's quite clever - he goes to a recycling centre and actually recycles what other people have thrown away.
    He may do it because he's mean but he is being environmentaly friendly :D

No, trust me he's mean. He's so tight he'd peel an orange in his pocket wearing boxing gloves,
    rather than share it. :)

A few weeks ago he tried to sell me one of those ancient tube televisions you see dumped down
    side streets and left in out in the rain in people's back yards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Postage is calculated depending on the costs of sending the post. So by reusing stamps you're sending post (which incurs cost) without paying, which then bumps up the price of postage for everyone else. Therein lies the stinge.
    Fair point, but if they just put a mark on every stamp like they're supposed to, then this wouldn't be a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

That you even have to ask that question makes you a target for stingy people to take advantage of :p

The bus service from Dublin to Galway is brilliant. It goes every hour and doesn't take much longer than a car. It's not like she was doing you a massive favour by giving you a lift. I am from a very rural area. To get to it from where I live is less than two hours in the car. To get to it by bus can take anywhere from 3.5 to 6 hours, depending on the day. A friend of mine was going home one weekend and offered me a lift. I was giving him €20 towards petrol and he didn't want to take it. I insisted he did as I would be spending that on a ticket anyways and he was saving me a lot of hassle. My friend was a friend, yours was being a tight arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

i dunno, my POS car cost aboui €70 return from Limerick to Dublin. It's only a 1.4.
    price of petrol these days is a disgrace joe.

google agrees with me:
    galway - dublin
    Est. fuel cost: €29.58

and then there's the tolls. i don't drive anymore, just get the bus from limerick which is €20 return. so your logic is sound butterface!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭ShelTomato

A guy I did a course with years ago, he used to put masking tape really carefully on to the part of the weekly bus ticket that the date would be stamped on. Then when it expired he would carefully remove the tape and run a magnet on the black strip so the scanner on the bus couldn't read it (usually it would beep and you would wave your new-looking ticket at the driver and he would wave you on) This method could keep that invalid ticket in use for days, weeks or even months extra. Was tempted to try it myself as I was a broke student but was too afraid tbh, especially as I would see the same bus drivers every week. He was also very good at sneaking food past the self scanners at Tesco when they first came out, so he would pay for a bottle of coke and walk out with 2 bags full of food. He was living at home rent free and getting Back to Education Allowance so he wasn't exactly destitute :P Also was always the first to suggest going out for a fag and then bumming one off you "til the next break".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

ShelTomato wrote: »
    A guy I did a course with years ago, he used to put masking tape really carefully on to the part of the weekly bus ticket that the date would be stamped on. Then when it expired he would carefully remove the tape and run a magnet on the black strip so the scanner on the bus couldn't read it (usually it would beep and you would wave your new-looking ticket at the driver and he would wave you on) This method could keep that invalid ticket in use for days, weeks or even months extra. Was tempted to try it myself as I was a broke student but was too afraid tbh, especially as I would see the same bus drivers every week. He was also very good at sneaking food past the self scanners at Tesco when they first came out, so he would pay for a bottle of coke and walk out with 2 bags full of food. He was living at home rent free and getting Back to Education Allowance so he wasn't exactly destitute :P Also was always the first to suggest going out for a fag and then bumming one off you "til the next break".

There's a difference between stinginess and stealing.
    He's just a scumbag.

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Fair point, but if they just put a mark on every stamp like they're supposed to, then this wouldn't be a problem.

And if shops had more security, shoplifting wouldn't be a problem. Doesn't make it right to steal.

It makes no never mind to me whether or not people pay for their post. I rarely send anything so the increase in postage doesn't affect me. But you've got to call a spade a spade, reusing stamps is theft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Just put a powerful spring in the bin with a pile of "smelly" rubbish on top, she'll get a rather nasty surprise the next time she opens the bib jack in the box.

Someone has been watching Home Alone reruns again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

When I was back in Ireland last summer I usually took the bus from Dublin to Galway for weekends as I was seeing somebody down there. It only cost 20e return with Gobus. I'm well used to taking long bus journeys at this stage so I don't mind at all. Well last summer my friend also started seeing somebody over in Galway and she started asking me what weekends I'd be going and if I'd accompany her in the car.

Sound, didn't mind that at all. First time I asked her how much she wanted for petrol and she said 20e. Grand, then on the way back on Sunday evening, she asked for another 10e. I don't drive, so I don't know how much petrol she'd need to put in her car to get us there.. but I know that what was cheaper for me (a student btw) was to take the Gobus. After going with her 4 weekends in the car, I finally said I'd start taking the bus again since it gives me a bit more independence with regards to what time I fancy leaving etc, and also it's cheaper for me. Well she made a show of me.. told all our friends that I was being too stingy to pay for her petrol and would rather take the bus alone.........

Your friend is a geebag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Quazzie wrote: »
    I was watching the Ireland - Austria match on RTE the other night and in the build up Dunphy, Giles & Co. were only talking about players from the Premier league, to such an extent that they even talked more about Andreas Weimann who was a sub than they did about the rest of the Austria team. In fact they gave very little coverage to the Irish team who are mostly Championship players. Again there was a big section given to Wes Hoolahan, who plays in the Premier League but was a sub also.

Then it clicked on me, they have the rights to footage from the Premier League as part of their Premier Soccer Saturday program and wouldn't talk about anyone else because they'd have to buy the rights to the footage from another channel. They waste enough money but were too stingey to buy some stock footage.

TV3 do this too, any news item is illustrated with Champions/Europa league clips because they've already paid for it

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭iarann

Originally Posted by iarann
    Was at a trade conference, the ticket price included dinner (finger food) and came with a drink voucher. A few of us were heading to the bar when a sales rep came over that most of us knew, real sales guy, lots of chat etc, the sales guy says "I'll get the first round in, pass over your vouchers here". I can remember his name but not his company!!!
    Mocha Joe wrote: »
    Please say that no-one did. Please!

We REALLY hoped he was joking, but no! He got some abuse thrown at him that night!

More like theft but here goes:

Good few years ago there was a very large Christmas tree put up in the local green and it looked good. By the third night there where no lights left on it below about 10ft, lots of people must have had a colourful Christmas.

There was a story told that a long time ago an estate had been buying loads of hay. The owner had a very efficient guy in charge, he had very strict controls and each delivery was carefully checked for size and quality, records were kept etc, people had to queue outside the gates waiting to deliver. One (or more) supplier used to arrive, get checked in, weighed etc then drive through the estate out the back gate, go around and queue again with the same load over and over again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

iarann wrote: »
    There was a story told that a long time ago an estate had been buying loads of hay. The owner had a very efficient guy in charge, he had very strict controls and each delivery was carefully checked for size and quality, records were kept etc, people had to queue outside the gates waiting to deliver. One (or more) supplier used to arrive, get checked in, weighed etc then drive through the estate out the back gate, go around and queue again with the same load over and over again.
    He can't have been that efficient if he didn't notice the same guys going through a second time!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    He can't have been that efficient if he didn't notice the same guys going through a second time!

Or even being credited with leaving a weighed amount of stuff without it actually having left the vehicle, and then being weighed empty.

In relation to bringing home the ends of a bottle of wine after drinking in a mates house:

I do this. I use wine to make sauces, the recipe usually only requires about a cup of wine, so I wouldn't buy a whole bottle if I only need a cup. If I had to buy it I'd buy one of the small 250ml bottles, but if I have a large bottle at a party and had a bit left in the end I'd take it home with me, pour it into a container and freeze it for the next time I make a white wine sauce. Don't see how that's stingey! I wouldn't travel across town to go pick it up the next day, now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

kyub wrote: »
    Your friend is a geebag.

Exactly. She was going anyway, so she was just profitting on her friend :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Cd_doe

I have a "friend" who is one stingy cu@t.

The last time we went out for a few drinks we went into rounds (3 of us) he was drinking pint bottles of bulmers but Everytime it was his round he'd buy cheap beer (even for himself) then he would return to his pint bottles again.

Every single time we went out he'd hang around me towards the end of the night and when I go to get a taxi he'd say "o sure that's handy so, he can drop me off on the way" - then when he gets to his house he'd jump out say thanks and walk away.
    Now I do admit his house is on the way (my house would be 1.5km further) but I think he should pay his share.

The same man smokes about 10 cigs a day but Dosnt buy them :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

In relation to bringing home the ends of a bottle of wine after drinking in a mates house:

I do this. I use wine to make sauces, the recipe usually only requires about a cup of wine, so I wouldn't buy a whole bottle if I only need a cup. If I had to buy it I'd buy one of the small 250ml bottles, but if I have a large bottle at a party and had a bit left in the end I'd take it home with me, pour it into a container and freeze it for the next time I make a white wine sauce. Don't see how that's stingey! I wouldn't travel across town to go pick it up the next day, now...

I know its your own business and that but would it be an idea to buy a full bottle of wine for your sauce and freeze the remainder until you need it again? Its not a lot of wine and I'm sure your friend may well end up chucking it down the sink anyway but you know the way people can be too.

If I were in your friends situation I wouldn't bat an eyelid. I'd see it as one less bottle to be hauling to the bottle bank but some people may not see it that way. Its just that Ive done things that may have being a little unorthodox in the past a few times, maybe not necessairly stingy but perhaps not 100% acceptable to most all the same. The other person may have seemingly being fine with it but you would hear a story back after that they may have not necessairly have painted a very good picture of you in light of what you done....Its a way a lot of the Irish tend to roll Ive found

Not my intention to insult you either if thats the way it seems.

I know its your own business and that but would it be an idea to buy a full bottle of wine for your sauce and freeze the remainder until you need it again? Its not a lot of wine and I'm sure your friend may well end up chucking it down the sink anyway but you know the way people can be too.

If I were in your friends situation I wouldn't bat an eyelid. I'd see it as one less bottle to be hauling to the bottle bank but some people may not see it that way. Its just that Ive done things that may not have being a little unorthodox in the past a few times, maybe not necessairly stingy but perhaps not 100% acceptable to most all the same. The other person may have seemingly being fine with it but you would hear a story back after that they may have not necessairly have painted a very good picture of you in light of what you done....Its a way a lot of the Irish tend to roll Ive found

Not my intention to insult you either if thats the way it seems.

Not insulted at all, I can see how it may look stingey to some people. As a poor student I can't afford to be buying a bottle of wine every time I need it for cooking, I buy a bottle the odd time and freeze it but when I'm leaving a friends house and I have a good 150/200ml+ left in the bottle of course I'll bring it with me, that's another dinners worth :D My friends don't bat an eyelid cos we're all in the same boat, it's very normal to bring your leftover cans home with you, even if it's just one or two. We do however have the "rule" that any cans left behind in the fridge belong to the person who lives there, unless specifically asked to keep them aside for next time (which never happens unless it's more than 3 or 4 cans)

I find it hard to believe that anyone can consider their group as friends if they think they would be talking behind their backs saying "Oh can you believe that stingey so-and-so brought the near empty bottle of wine home with her?"

Irish people :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Cd_doe

Not insulted at all, I can see how it may look stingey to some people. As a poor student I can't afford to be buying a bottle of wine every time I need it for cooking, I buy a bottle the odd time and freeze it but when I'm leaving a friends house and I have a good 150/200ml+ left in the bottle of course I'll bring it with me, that's another dinners worth :D My friends don't bat an eyelid cos we're all in the same boat, it's very normal to bring your leftover cans home with you, even if it's just one or two. We do however have the "rule" that any cans left behind in the fridge belong to the person who lives there, unless specifically asked to keep them aside for next time (which never happens unless it's more than 3 or 4 cans)

I find it hard to believe that anyone can consider their group as friends if they think they would be talking behind their backs saying "Oh can you believe that stingey so-and-so brought the near empty bottle of wine home with her?"

Irish people :rolleyes:

I reckon you're stingy!!

Just buy a bottle of wine and freeze that for your cooking, instead of bringing home the asses of bottles of wine from parties! No offence tho :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement