Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭ShelTomato

Cd_doe wrote: »
    I reckon you're stingy!!

Just buy a bottle of wine and freeze that for your cooking, instead of bringing home the asses of bottles of wine from parties! No offence tho :)

None taken!

I don't see the problem with it (but then again, stingey people never do :D ) and it's just normal in our circles to do things like that, it's such a waste when it's going down the sink anyways! Like, if I was planning on making white wine sauce the following day, had none at home and was heading home from drinking and there was a dinners worth left in the bottle, would it be more prudent for me to leave it behind then go out the next day and buy a new bottle? I think my mates would slag me more for being wasteful than stingey!

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭jebus84

I know a friend who'd rob the 20 cents you would use as a marker for games of pool in the pub

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Uncle of mine had his eyes on every older relations gaff (his own mother, aunties, uncles, etc.) Got my grand mother (his own mother) to spend tens of thousands on her gaff in latter years in order to stop 'dry rot', etc. When she started to go ga-ga in her final months he got her to sign the gaff over to him 'to keep it safe'. This gaff would have been worth about €800k when she passed away in 1989. My father, his other brother and sister got nothing from the estate but are all fairly comfortable so let it go rather than never talk to their brother for the rest of their days.

When my grandmother died she left two fairly wealthy sisters behind, both widows with no children. He spent another few years chasing the oldest one, tending to her garden, brining her out for Sunday lunch, over to dinner at Christmas and Easter. When she died she left her gaff to the last remaining sister. Dissapointed yet undeterred he moved on to the final sister expecting to get the two gaffs from her. She lasted for ages and he nearly broke himself looking after her. We were all expecting him to get the lot but when she died she left it all to the DSPCA.

We were fookin' delighted! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

ShelTomato wrote: »
    In relation to bringing home the ends of a bottle of wine after drinking in a mates house:

I do this. I use wine to make sauces, the recipe usually only requires about a cup of wine, so I wouldn't buy a whole bottle if I only need a cup. If I had to buy it I'd buy one of the small 250ml bottles, but if I have a large bottle at a party and had a bit left in the end I'd take it home with me, pour it into a container and freeze it for the next time I make a white wine sauce. Don't see how that's stingey! I wouldn't travel across town to go pick it up the next day, now...

If I bring a bottle of wine to a friend's house for dinner, that's a gift to my friend. I certainly wouldn't bring the end of the bottle home with me!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 jackie_1

When I was about twelve years old there was this man who was putting his boat in the water and he asked if I would hold the rope off the boat for him and help him guide it into the water so I did. When the boat was in the water he gave me change and asked me to go to the shop across the road to get him a can of coke when I came back with the can and his change he took it and said "your a star" and climbed on into his speed boat and drove off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

jackie_1 wrote: »
    When I was about twelve years old there was this man who was putting his boat in the water and he asked if I would hold the rope off the boat for him and help him guide it into the water so I did. When the boat was in the water he gave me change and asked me to go to the shop across the road to get him a can of coke when I came back with the can and his change he took it and said "your a star" and climbed on into his speed boat and drove off.

Is this a story about him being stingy with apostrophes?

If I bring a bottle of wine to a friend's house for dinner, that's a gift to my friend. I certainly wouldn't bring the end of the bottle home with me!

So would I, of course. But I'm not talking about going around to a friends for dinner I'm talking about a group of students in one of our homes, BYOB drink-style :P

Mocha Joe wrote: »
    Is this a story about him being stingy with apostrophes?

Sorry about the grammer, oops.

So would I, of course. But I'm not talking about going around to a friends for dinner I'm talking about a group of students in one of our homes, BYOB drink-style :P

Hmm... think I'd still feel it belonged to the person in whose home the party was, though.

I mean, seriously, Aldi's rather nice white Bordeaux is a fiver, and you'd get five sauces out of one bottle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

It's a different mindset when you are a student. Everyone is on a budget and it's usually BYOB. If you have a decent job and give a bottle of wine as a gift and then look to take home what's left in the bottle that's being stingy. If you are a student and bring around a bottle of wine for yourself and take home the leftovers, that's being frugal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

jackie_1 wrote: »
    Sorry about the grammer, oops.
    Being sorry isn't enough. Expect a call from the grammar police to ban you from the internet :pac:

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Being sorry isn't enough. Expect a call from the grammar police to ban you from the internet :pac:
    Thanks for the warning. I shall keep that in mind :-)

Hmm... think I'd still feel it belonged to the person in whose home the party was, though.

I mean, seriously, Aldi's rather nice white Bordeaux is a fiver, and you'd get five sauces out of one bottle!

That's the one I use :P Still, a fiver for a wine just for cooking a sauce is a luxury some weeks, I'd rather drink it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

I have a "friend" who is one stingy cu@t.

The last time we went out for a few drinks we went into rounds (3 of us) he was drinking pint bottles of bulmers but Everytime it was his round he'd buy cheap beer (even for himself) then he would return to his pint bottles again.

Every single time we went out he'd hang around me towards the end of the night and when I go to get a taxi he'd say "o sure that's handy so, he can drop me off on the way" - then when he gets to his house he'd jump out say thanks and walk away.
    Now I do admit his house is on the way (my house would be 1.5km further) but I think he should pay his share.

The same man smokes about 10 cigs a day but Dosnt buy them :/
    Your 'friend' is an arsehole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

In relation to bringing home the ends of a bottle of wine after drinking in a mates house:

I do this. I use wine to make sauces, the recipe usually only requires about a cup of wine, so I wouldn't buy a whole bottle if I only need a cup. If I had to buy it I'd buy one of the small 250ml bottles, but if I have a large bottle at a party and had a bit left in the end I'd take it home with me, pour it into a container and freeze it for the next time I make a white wine sauce. Don't see how that's stingey! I wouldn't travel across town to go pick it up the next day, now...
    When i was a student we didnt have the luxury of having sauce with our food a pack of noodles and chicken was our diet for 5 days until we returned home for the weekend.....also i doubt cheap lidl lager would mix well with voul la vanz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

I was standing at the luas stop outside Bus Aras this morning. It was pissing rain. This man walks past and stops dead, puts down his umbrella and proceeds to drop to the ground and start reaching for something in under the seats. He was fishing for a few minutes so I looked around the bench to see what he was reaching for. It was 10 cents! He manages to reach it, he puts his umbrella back up and continues walking. He wasn't even stopping to wait for the luas, the only reason he stopped was for that 10 cents.

Picking up money in the street is fine, but taking that long and putting that much effort into 10 cent all while getting soaked seems a tad stingy to me :P

I was standing at the luas stop outside Bus Aras this morning. It was pissing rain. This man walks past and stops dead, puts down his umbrella and proceeds to drop to the ground and start reaching for something in under the seats. He was fishing for a few minutes so I looked around the bench to see what he was reaching for. It was 10 cents! He manages to reach it, he puts his umbrella back up and continues walking. He wasn't even stopping to wait for the luas, the only reason he stopped was for that 10 cents.

Picking up money in the street is fine, but taking that long and putting that much effort into 10 cent all while getting soaked seems a tad stingy to me :P

Superstition, I bet. The lucky penny syndrome.

Paddy Cow wrote: »

The grammar police are too stingy to pay for the call.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

My stingy uncle is at it again, since his last outing with board gais and his bill for €5000, he was "clearing out" my grandmothers attic.

My grandfather died about 9 years ago and was a collector of many things stamps, coins, world war 2 stuff and records. All put in to the attic when he died.

My uncle "offered" to clear out the attic and did he. He got a skip with my grandmothers money and got to work. With out telling anyone else in the family.

The skip was seen by my mother who was up visting and when she found out what he was up to, she got up into the attic and it was clean. but all of the collections were gone too and when confronted about it, he denied any knowledge of it.

The worst part about is my grandmother is blind to it all, she thinks the sunshines out of his arse. This is the same lad who sent his youngest child to live with his inlaws in china because "It's to expensive to raise 2 children in Ireland" he bought land off her and stiffed her for €20k .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

joe stodge wrote: »
    . This is the same lad who sent his youngest child to live with his inlaws in china because "It's to expensive to raise 2 children in Ireland"
    .....wow
    that is pretty disgusting
    the child is better off without him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

.....wow
    that is pretty disgusting
    the child is better off without him

Yeah, I wouldn't doubt it for a second. All of my previous posts in this thread are to do with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

joe stodge wrote: »
    This is the same lad who sent his youngest child to live with his inlaws in china because "It's to expensive to raise 2 children in Ireland".

Has this been done already? I want to hear more...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Every single time we went out he'd hang around me towards the end of the night and when I go to get a taxi he'd say "o sure that's handy so, he can drop me off on the way" - then when he gets to his house he'd jump out say thanks and walk away.
    Now I do admit his house is on the way (my house would be 1.5km further) but I think he should pay his share.

You need to grow a pair (no offence :D ) and start making him pay his way, either when you get into the taxi together, or when he is getting out of it. It's the people with no balls, or are who are too nice to put their foot down, that results in the stinges getting away with the sheer blue murder that they do ! :(

I wouldn't dream of talking left over alcohol home with me after a party. Ever, ever, ever. I'd leave it behind as a thank you to my host/hostess for going to all the trouble and expense for hosting the gathering/party in the first place. However, I do agree that different rules apply if you are a broke student, as long as everyone knows what is going on, and is ok with it.

Sirsok wrote: »
    When i was a student we didnt have the luxury of having sauce with our food a pack of noodles and chicken was our diet for 5 days until we returned home for the weekend.....also i doubt cheap lidl lager would mix well with voul la vanz

I buy a whole chicken for a fiver in Tesco, roast it and strip it, freeze some of it and that lasts me a whole week. I buy a 5kg bag of spuds so that's my chips, roasties and mash for about 2 weeks or more, that costs €7, I make my own sauces with flour, milk, butter and herbs, all very cheap and the flour lasts weeks. The wine is great if I have it for a sauce! Few other bits and pieces so all in all I spend about a €13 - €15 for a whole weeks worth of delicious meals, including lunches :D I see other students wasting money buying frozen chips and frozen breaded chicken and they spend much more than me on their shopping cos they can't be bothered putting effort into preparing/cooking food but I actually enjoy it so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Fizgig Bandicoot

I was in Dunnes doing the shop and about to get a trolley. This aul one was bringing her trolley back and comes up to me and says, 'Here, have my trolley, just give me the euro and save yourself a journey.' I was happy enough with this and went about my business. Then when I brought the trolley back, went to get my euro out of it, only to find..................................a twenty cent piece. I was disgusted that someone could be so scabby, letting on that they were doing you a favour! I didn't mind being 80 cent down, I just couldn't believe the cheek!

I was in Dunnes doing the shop and about to get a trolley. This aul one was bringing her trolley back and comes up to me and says, 'Here, have my trolley, just give me the euro and save yourself a journey.' I was happy enough with this and went about my business. Then when I brought the trolley back, went to get my euro out of it, only to find..................................a twenty cent piece. I was disgusted that someone could be so scabby, letting on that they were doing you a favour! I didn't mind being 80 cent down, I just couldn't believe the cheek!

Haha! Believe me this is quite common! I remember when I worked in Dunnes a customer was ripped off exactly like you were and they came in and called for a manager and demanded that Dunnes reimburse her the 80c! She was there for a good ten minutes screaming and stamping her foot saying it was Dunnes fault for allowing "the flaw in the system" and " failing to ensure that honest customers like herself weren't scammed on their property".

Best day ever :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

My friend is getting married this weekend, ignoring the fact she's a complete brideZilla the past year, she asked me to mind her dog for the two weeks she is going on her honeymoon, as she is too stingy to pay to put him in kennels.

My father was admitted to ICU today, and obviously upset and with nobody else to talk to I text her to tell her. What did I recieve back? "****, so does that mean you probably won't be able to mind the dog".

If that's her biggest concern, having to pay to have her dog minded, god help her.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

My friend is getting married this weekend, ignoring the fact she's a complete brideZilla the past year, she asked me to mind her dog for the two weeks she is going on her honeymoon, as she is too stingy to pay to put him in kennels.

My father was admitted to ICU today, and obviously upset and with nobody else to talk to I text her to tell her. What did I recieve back? "****, so does that mean you probably won't be able to mind the dog".

If that's her biggest concern, having to pay to have her dog minded, god help her.

Jesus. Did you respond to her yet? Because I would be right back there with 'Yes, I'll be in with my Dad solidly until he's well again. You'll need to find someone else to mind the dog. So sorry' (not sorry at all, actually).

The ignorant selfish self obsessed wagon, to be fair. And a cr&p friend.

And I hope your Dad is okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Jesus. Did you respond to her yet? Because I would be right back there with 'Yes, I'll be in with my Dad solidly until he's well again. You'll need to find someone else to mind the dog. So sorry' (not sorry at all, actually).

The ignorant selfish self obsessed wagon, to be fair. And a cr&p friend.

I'm not responding. The day I told her my dad had cancer she told me to make sure he had a will made. Me inconsolable and that's all she had to say, I hate my friends

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I'm not responding. The day I told her my dad had cancer she told me to make sure he had a will made. Me inconsolable and that's all she had to say, I hate my friends

I'm sorry to hear that, your friend sounds like a materialistic witch and I really hope you have someone else who will give you proper support right now. Chin up Lex x

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement