Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

I'm not responding. The day I told her my dad had cancer she told me to make sure he had a will made. Me inconsolable and that's all she had to say, I hate my friends
    And you still consider her a friend?!:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

My friend is getting married this weekend, ignoring the fact she's a complete brideZilla the past year, she asked me to mind her dog for the two weeks she is going on her honeymoon, as she is too stingy to pay to put him in kennels.

My father was admitted to ICU today, and obviously upset and with nobody else to talk to I text her to tell her. What did I recieve back? "****, so does that mean you probably won't be able to mind the dog".

If that's her biggest concern, having to pay to have her dog minded, god help her.
    Au contraire, I would consider myself the luckiest woman in the world if that was all I had to worry about! What a knobhead she must be :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Man on Fire

man my friend is one stingy c&%t.... i could write an essay on the stoires but the best one... he rings me up and says call over for a chat so i went over... i said can i make a cup of tea he goes yea no bother... make the tea about to put the sugar in the tea and what is in the sugar bowl... a ****ing fork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I'm sorry to hear that, your friend sounds like a materialistic witch and I really hope you have someone else who will give you proper support right now. Chin up Lex x
    Thanks :) the only person I have is my ex, but he's worth 10 of the rest of my fair weather friends

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭ShelTomato

man my friend is one stingy c&%t.... i could write an essay on the stoires but the best one... he rings me up and says call over for a chat so i went over... i said can i make a cup of tea he goes yea no bother... make the tea about to put the sugar in the tea and what is in the sugar bowl... a ****ing fork

I don't get the whole "fork in the sugar bowl" thing. Do they think people won't notice it's a fork? Just hide your sugar and say you're out if you're that bothered!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

ShelTomato wrote: »
    I don't get the whole "fork in the sugar bowl" thing. Do they think people won't notice it's a fork? Just hide your sugar and say you're out if you're that bothered!

maybe its sugar cubes :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

My friend is getting married this weekend, ignoring the fact she's a complete brideZilla the past year, she asked me to mind her dog for the two weeks she is going on her honeymoon, as she is too stingy to pay to put him in kennels.

My father was admitted to ICU today, and obviously upset and with nobody else to talk to I text her to tell her. What did I recieve back? "****, so does that mean you probably won't be able to mind the dog".

If that's her biggest concern, having to pay to have her dog minded, god help her.

Thats not stingy, thats just being a complete ciunt.
    I'm not responding. The day I told her my dad had cancer she told me to make sure he had a will made

Ditto.

I hope she has a sh1te honeymoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Id take the dog, put it in the most expensive boarding kennel, and when your friend gets back, she will have to pay to get the dog back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I'm not responding. The day I told her my dad had cancer she told me to make sure he had a will made. Me inconsolable and that's all she had to say, I hate my friends
    :eek: That is unfcuking believable. This person is NOT a friend but a user. She will never be there for you, unless it's to sap your emotional reserves. Ditch the b!tch.

You sound like a good friend and right now you need people around you who will support you. My own mother got diagnosed with cancer just before Christmas and I know how stressful it is. This cow does not deserve your friendship and while I don't believe in psychic powers, I am sending her waves of scorn right now :mad:

I hope your father has a good diagnosis and recovers well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭iMac_Hunt

I'm after getting angry reading that. How are some people so insensitive. Honestly, I would cut my ties with someone like that. She's not a friend, she's a self absorbed cúnt. Only out for herself and doesn't care about anyone else. Cut your ties and don't even reply to her, I wouldn't waste the 12c on the text message. You don't need people like that in your life. Life is too short to be dealing with vermin like that.

I hope your dad is okay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

jebus84 wrote: »
    I know a friend who'd rob the 20 cents you would use as a marker for games of pool in the pub

Being "friends" with these people only legitimises their unacceptable behaviour.

Speaking from experience, it is, in the long run, much healthier to simply get them to fcuk.

(This also applies to Lexies' dog post too by the way)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

It's a joke...

Birneybau wrote: »
    It's a joke...

One that went right over my head it seems, it's just been said so many times on this thread! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

I got caught with the trolley trick the other day. I motioned to a fella who was returning his trolley by holding up a euro coin. He never said a word just let the trolley go and with a little smirk took the euro from me. I thought his reaction a little weird until I returned the trolley and there in the slot was some Portugese-looking coin. I didn't mind being conned as there were no trolleys left anyway, it was the smirk that stuck with me though. It was like he had just conned me out of a large inheritance!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

iMac_Hunt wrote: »
    You don't need people like that in your life. Life is too short to be dealing with vermin like that.

I hope your dad is okay.

unfortunately people like this have become more and more common in the last 10 years, especially in areas where money is the be all and end all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

That's the one I use :P Still, a fiver for a wine just for cooking a sauce is a luxury some weeks, I'd rather drink it :D

you're a student and you use wine for cooking?? :confused:

I buy a whole chicken for a fiver in Tesco, roast it and strip it, freeze some of it and that lasts me a whole week. I buy a 5kg bag of spuds so that's my chips, roasties and mash for about 2 weeks or more, that costs €7, I make my own sauces with flour, milk, butter and herbs, all very cheap and the flour lasts weeks. The wine is great if I have it for a sauce! Few other bits and pieces so all in all I spend about a €13 - €15 for a whole weeks worth of delicious meals, including lunches :D I see other students wasting money buying frozen chips and frozen breaded chicken and they spend much more than me on their shopping cos they can't be bothered putting effort into preparing/cooking food but I actually enjoy it so :D

I'm a student who manages her money very well. I drink wine anyways if I'm in a friends or w/e, and take the ends home to use for sauces, hence the whole "is it stingey to bring home leftover booze" discussion over the last few pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

My housemate is a student and uses wine for cooking sometimes.

I always feel judged using my instant sauces in front of her :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

I'm a student who manages her money very well. I drink wine anyways if I'm in a friends or w/e, and take the ends home to use for sauces, hence the whole "is it stingey to bring home leftover booze" discussion over the last few pages.

times have changed since my day :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

Some poeple eat good food, some people eat processed food. The reason for choosing one and not the other is usually a lack of culinary skills and a misconception that good food has to be expensive. I hate the "Oh well don't you love yourself cooking with wine" attitude.

• Advertisement

Moment of honesty: I'm trying to save college fees...so I came on here for ideas to save money - does that qualify as stingy? ;)

times have changed since my day :P

I remember a time when you couldnt get a bottle of wine for less than the equivalent of twenty euro. I suppose in "those days" a bottle of wine was a luxury. I remember the adults eeking out a bottle of "Mathews Rose" between four of them over Sunday lunch haha yack :p Now, you can get one for the same price as 4 cans of beer or whatever so its not a "luxury" (any more than any alcohol is).

ps I love wine. Nyom nyom :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Moment of honesty: I'm trying to save college fees...so I came on here for ideas to save money - does that qualify as stingy? ;)

It depends entirely on which ideas you use. Pre-cooking and freezing meals = OK. Duping your elderly relatives into giving you their inheritance? Less OK

Newaglish wrote: »
    It depends entirely on which ideas you use. Pre-cooking and freezing meals = OK. Duping your elderly relatives into giving you their inheritance? Less OK

damn :P Really stuck for ideas actually. Dont want to resort to hanging around Aldi doing people out of 80c lol

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I think that we all need to take a moment here, and send some happy thoughts the way of the poor groom. Considering the bitch on wheels that he is about to marry, he'll be needing them. :(

Best of luck to your dad. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

I remember a time when you couldnt get a bottle of wine for less than the equivalent of twenty euro. I suppose in "those days" a bottle of wine was a luxury. I remember the adults eeking out a bottle of "Mathews Rose" between four of them over Sunday lunch haha yack :p Now, you can get one for the same price as 4 cans of beer or whatever so its not a "luxury" (any more than any alcohol is).

ps I love wine. Nyom nyom :D

I can't show the source but I read that alcohol is more affordable in Ireland now then it's ever been, it used to be a luxury know its an everyday item

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Holy f@ck! I just found this thread and read the first page. I am at once mortified on behalf of these scrooges who know not what everyone thinks of them, but also disgusted by humanity which includes such beings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

damn :P Really stuck for ideas actually. Dont want to resort to hanging around Aldi doing people out of 80c lol

There have been a few how-to-cook-cheap threads in Bargains, and I think in the cookery forum too.

Best thing is to have a shopping list you get each week: 2 loaves good bread, 6 eggs, a whole chicken, net of onions, garlic, 2 bags carrots, vine tomatoes (Aldi), 1 stick celery, 1 bag potatoes, 2 tins chopped tomatoes, stock cubes, parsley, cabbage, lettuce... then keep a stock of porridge, tea, sugar, milk, honey, etc, and things like Lea & Perrin's Worcester sauce, Kikkoman soya sauce (get the big bottle & decant into a smaller one as you use it), mirin and so on. Always have lentils (cheapest in Tesco, probably the only thing that is; the rest is cheap in Lidl & Aldi.)

Get some pot plants: rosemary, a bay tree (around €3 in the Avoca garden centre), thyme, coriander, basil - put them in big pots with lots of sand and compost.

Roast the chicken on Sunday (coated with lemon juice, a sprinkle of salt & honey, roasted on a bed of carrots, onions & celery, with boiled potatoes) and eat lots of vegetables so you don't make it a huge meat meal. Strip off the meat and use it through the week. Make stock by putting the chicken carcase, 3 chopped carrots, 2 halved onions, 1 bay leaf, 3 sticks celery and a load of water in a pot and boiling for around an hour; drain off the soup and throw out the bones and vegetables.

Make lentil soup with the stock: fry chopped carrots, onion and celery and a bay leaf in butter, add a good handful of lentils and fry more, add stock and salt, cook for around half an hour. This lentil soup with Lidl pumpkin bread and olive oil spread will be a good evening meal for 2 nights.

And so on through the week - if you go veggie or semi-veggie you'll save even more, for instance there's a lovely Greek dish where you fry onions, lentils and rice then add water and seasoning and cook until they're ready - a complete meal in terms of protein and carbohydrate - just add a salad and you're set.

(Sorry to derail the stinginess thread slightly.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Got to page ten. The human race now disgusts me. Apart from Mila Kunis.

• Advertisement

There have been a few how-to-cook-cheap threads in Bargains, and I think in the cookery forum too.

Best thing is to have a shopping list you get each week: 2 loaves good bread, 6 eggs, a whole chicken, net of onions, garlic, 2 bags carrots, vine tomatoes (Aldi), 1 stick celery, 1 bag potatoes, 2 tins chopped tomatoes, stock cubes, parsley, cabbage, lettuce... then keep a stock of porridge, tea, sugar, milk, honey, etc, and things like Lea & Perrin's Worcester sauce, Kikkoman soya sauce (get the big bottle & decant into a smaller one as you use it), mirin and so on. Always have lentils (cheapest in Tesco, probably the only thing that is; the rest is cheap in Lidl & Aldi.)

Get some pot plants: rosemary, a bay tree (around €3 in the Avoca garden centre), thyme, coriander, basil - put them in big pots with lots of sand and compost.

Roast the chicken on Sunday (coated with lemon juice, a sprinkle of salt & honey, roasted on a bed of carrots, onions & celery, with boiled potatoes) and eat lots of vegetables so you don't make it a huge meat meal. Strip off the meat and use it through the week. Make stock by putting the chicken carcase, 3 chopped carrots, 2 halved onions, 1 bay leaf, 3 sticks celery and a load of water in a pot and boiling for around an hour; drain off the soup and throw out the bones and vegetables.

Make lentil soup with the stock: fry chopped carrots, onion and celery and a bay leaf in butter, add a good handful of lentils and fry more, add stock and salt, cook for around half an hour. This lentil soup with Lidl pumpkin bread and olive oil spread will be a good evening meal for 2 nights.

And so on through the week - if you go veggie or semi-veggie you'll save even more, for instance there's a lovely Greek dish where you fry onions, lentils and rice then add water and seasoning and cook until they're ready - a complete meal in terms of protein and carbohydrate - just add a salad and you're set.

(Sorry to derail the stinginess thread slightly.)

wow thanks, super cool post :) Gonna give it a lash the weekend (also trying to limit grocery shop visits to 1 per week)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement