Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

I've got the ideal stinge story to tie up this whole miwadi story

I was out with a couple of mates for a pre Christmas drink. One of my friends Eoin was driving another friend Conor home after as they live within walking distance of each other (but still a good 30 minute drive away)

Conor hops up and tells Eoin he is going to the bar and does he want anything. Eoin, being the good designated driver he is, asks for some Miwadi and water. Conor arrives back with a pint of beer for himself and the Miwadi and as he gives it over says "That was 50c but don't worry you can give it to me later when you have change"

Conor did not give Eoin any money for the petrol home. Eoin later coughed up the 50c

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭kilkenny12

Kat1170 wrote: »
    I'd say a certain McCann family just might disagree with you ;)
    :rolleyes:

What the girl did is completely different to leaving your child in a different building, in a foreign country, with a window open, while you spend the night in a restaurant!

Can everybody just chillax!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Ah Lord, miwadigate was about 6 hours ago, are ye still on about it?!

gubbie wrote: »
    I've got the ideal stinge story to tie up this whole miwadi story

I was out with a couple of mates for a pre Christmas drink. One of my friends Eoin was driving another friend Conor home after as they live within walking distance of each other (but still a good 30 minute drive away)

Conor hops up and tells Eoin he is going to the bar and does he want anything. Eoin, being the good designated driver he is, asks for some Miwadi and water. Conor arrives back with a pint of beer for himself and the Miwadi and as he gives it over says "That was 50c but don't worry you can give it to me later when you have change"

Conor did not give Eoin any money for the petrol home. Eoin later coughed up the 50c

Eoin is a bigger fool and deserves to be taken advantage of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Eoin is a bigger fool and deserves to be taken advantage of.
    Exactly...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

When do we get Miwadigate - the sequel?

Hurry up!
    She's babysitting again next weekend so I'm sure I'll have some more child neglect stories to share :P
    166man wrote: »
    Also she chose to pay the €2.40, wasn't forced on her to buy it. If she didn't like the price she doesn't buy it.
    It was already poured when she was told the price. Had she known beforehand she wouldn't have bought it. It's a small family run hotel in a rural village. She didn't want to cause a scene by refusing to pay (what would the neighbours think? :pac:) but she won't be ordering it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

I bet she'll be smuggling in her own bottle of Miwadi next weekend. That's merely thrifty, not stingey, though!

Paddy Cow wrote: »

It was already poured when she was told the price. Had she known beforehand she wouldn't have bought it. It's a small family run hotel in a rural village. She didn't want to cause a scene by refusing to pay (what would the neighbours think? :pac:) but she won't be ordering it again.

More fool her for paying. I was out awhil back and ordered two pints. After pouring then the barman asked for 12 euro. I laughed and told him not a chance was I paying 6 euro apiece for a pint of Coors and walked off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    She's babysitting again next weekend so I'm sure I'll have some more child neglect stories to share :P

But this time you'll leave her with a big bottle of water and one of MiWadi and a few sambos?

But this time you'll leave her with a big bottle of water and one of MiWadi and a few sambos?
    Not a chance. She is a 28 year old woman who I trust. When she takes on a babysitting job she talks to the parents beforehand. Some are freaked out that they are leaving their child(ren) in the care of a stranger and have a huge set of rules. If this means that she is not supposed to leave the room, then she doesn't. The parents who don't want her leaving the room for even a second usually come armed with a supply of drinks/snacks that she wouldn't get through in a week. The more "reaxed" parents ask that she doesn't leave the kids unattented while they are awake but once they are asleep, she is free to leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

I actually know a fella who seems to collect money, I really think he has something wrong with him. He has been known to walk into the credit union and put a fiver into the account,

We all go on fishing trips in the summer and most of us get a chipper or role or something like that, The thought of him having to spend money kills him so he brings a packed lunch while the rest of us have big warm meals,

I remember him telling me he was going on a day out with the wife and the daughter, They ended up in Mcdonalds and of course he had one of those small drink, chips and burger voucher, He told me he gave the burger to the daughter, him and the wife shared a few chips and they each took a mouthful of coke and you'd swear it was a big meal by the way he describes it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭dvae

a friend of my dads once told him how he leaves the stopper in the bath when taking a shower, so the kids can hop in after him.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭northernpower

Couple of work related stories from this weekend past-

So I work in a bar to help fund the studies, its quite a busy cocktail bar type place and at the weekends you'd be flat out at times so to make the night go a bit easier every so often we'll (the 4 or 5 on the bar) stop for a quick round of tequila or something, which one of us will take upon ourselves to buy, so in general everyone pays their way buying shots and the like. We have a glass collector as well so every so often I'll buy him a shot or a pint so he's not left out, but it was only this past weekend that it occurred to me that he's never bought anything back, and the reason it clicked was this -

after working a Saturday night and getting the bar broke down for about 5AM we'd normally stay behind for a drink then go get breakfast, so the glassy had asked me quite early on in the night if I was going for breakfast that night so I said I was yeah, probably, so we got to the cafe, I stopped at an ATM and he stood beside me fumbling in his bag and then 'oh, I think i've forgotten my wallet, can you get me breakfast' and then it occurred to me this wasn't the first time I'd paid for his breakfast after a similar routine, and i'd already bought him beer that night (I know what you're going to say) but that was the first time it really clicked -

Now I don't know why he thinks i'm in a better situation than he is to be able to pay his breakfast and drinks, we're both students, we're on the same rate of pay and before its suggested no, we generally don't make anything in tips, it's a novelty here in Cardiff (Welsh people will order a massive round of drink and wait for 10p change), but yeah, I feel like a tool being taken advantage of cause I seem to be the only one that looks after him drinks wise.

Second story from the weekend, working last night and about 1AM a crowd of about 20 well-to-do types from the theatre company come in, one guy gets a round and (just to contradict my last point) leaves a tip on the bar of about £1.20, before I collect i'm taking another order, turn my back to get the drinks and one of these ****ers reaches over and pockets it, and as I said, these guys are all dapper and talking loudly at the bar about their latest production, obviously not shy of a few pound, and one of them has the f**kin cheek to pocket what probably would've been the only bit of appreciation I'd been shown in 4 nights of work. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

carzony wrote: »
    I actually know a fella who seems to collect money, I really think he has something wrong with him. He has been known to walk into the credit union and put a fiver into the account,

a.k.a. saving........aren't we thought to do that in primary school?

dvae wrote: »
    a friend of my dads once told him how he leaves the stopper in the bath when taking a shower, so the kids can hop in after him.
    That's not just stingy, that's fcuking disgusting :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭HansHolzel

According to Freud, meanness is a consequence of over-strict toilet training.

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    wow thanks, super cool post :) Gonna give it a lash the weekend (also trying to limit grocery shop visits to 1 per week)

You might like this English site too: http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/money/galleries/34884/7-dinners-for-under-1-a-head-monday-3rd-june-sunday-9th-june-2013 - dinners for under £1 a head; some lovely recipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭ShelTomato

I have accumulated way too many clothes over the years. I'm moving into a smaller house soon so decided to donate a lot of the clothes to a local charity shop. Mentioned it to a friend of mine who happens to be the same size as me and she said "oh do you mind if I have a look through them first see if there's anything there I like?" I said grand yeah work away, she drives down from Dublin to Carlow, takes nearly 2 bin bags full of stuff then asks me do I mind paying for half her petrol money since she drove all the way down to take them off my hands? I said "yeah I don't mind, tell you what I'll give you 15 for the petrol and you give me 30 for the clothes."

I was joking of course but she quickly dropped the subject and even looked slightly ashamed.

Friend of mine unpacks all the vegetables from their plastic in Lidl, Aldi, etc and leaves the plastic packaging in the bins provided - but apparently they do this in Germany, and Lidl and Aldi are fine with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Friend of mine unpacks all the vegetables from their plastic in Lidl, Aldi, etc and leaves the plastic packaging in the bins provided - but apparently they do this in Germany, and Lidl and Aldi are fine with it.

Don't know how that's stingy?

It's the law in Germany that those bins have to be provided for people who wanted to get rid of excess packaging, the idea was that the retailers would put pressure on their suppliers to cut down on needless packaging. Some things are just way overpacked anyway.

Red Kev wrote: »
    Don't know how that's stingy?

It's the law in Germany that those bins have to be provided for people who wanted to get rid of excess packaging, the idea was that the retailers would put pressure on their suppliers to cut down on needless packaging. Some things are just way overpacked anyway.

When I worked in Dunnes loads of people took cereal/jaffa cakes or w/e out of their cardboard boxes and left the box with the me on the till. Was confused myself at first and used to tell the customer they had to take it with them but the manager told me that by law we're supposed to take any "unnecessary" packaging from customers if they like. Either because it makes packing their bags easier or because they didn't wanna recycle it themselves at home. Not many customers did it though

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I think youre confusing stingy with sensible

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Camrat

I know a old man who tried to cook a frozen goodfellas pizza in a frying pan with water...His poor grandchildren were non the wiser and after tasting realised it was soggy crap....ha ha. True story

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Is that stingy? Sounds more like not knowing how to cook pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

HansHolzel wrote: »
    According to Freud, meanness is a consequence of over-strict toilet training.

That explains the saying, "He wouldn't give you the skin of his shit".

Thank you Sigmund, that will be all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Kinzig

Ive spent a lot of time in germany over the years and this is quite normal , my german pal will remove all excess packaging and leave it at the shop..once when he was here in Ireland he went into a clothes shop and bought a pair of trousers..after the assistant bundled them into a plastic bag he took the trousers back out and removed the labels etc gave her back the bag and explained that he just wanted the trousers and not the extra packaging..the look on her face was priceless as he walked out of the shop with the trousers draped over his arm..everything today is way overpackaged no need for it tbh..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭ONeill2013

This is all myself

Walk 5+ miles due to not wanting to pay for a bus fare.
    Wear shoes until the sole falls off.
    Steal handwash/toilet rolls from gym/library.
    When I used to play football i wore the football boots until there was no studs left in them, I was frequently subbed due to slipping when the grass was wet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭ONeill2013

This is all myself

When I used to play football i wore the football boots until there was no studs left in them, I was frequently subbed due to slipping when the grass was wet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭fanadman1

ONeill2013 wrote: »
    This is all myself

could u not just buy studs rather than boots ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement