Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭ONeill2013

fanadman1 wrote: »
    could u not just buy studs rather than boots ?

They were adidas predators from 2000, I think they were rubber ones that were built on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,959 ✭✭✭Liamalone

ONeill2013 wrote: »
    This is all myself

Walk 5+ miles due to not wanting to pay for a bus fare.
    Wear shoes until the sole falls off.
    Steal handwash/toilet rolls from gym/library.
    When I used to play football i wore the football boots until there was no studs left in them, I was frequently subbed due to slipping when the grass was wet.

So You're a thief as well as a tramp lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

This is all myself

people can also choose to walk because its good for them ya know

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Camrat

Paint their car. Had a neighbour who owned a rust bucket toyota corrolla. 1980's model i think it was. Anyway he used like 5 litres of house paint. Mad bastard looked ridiculous.......

Liamalone wrote: »
    So You're a thief as well as a tramp lol

Toilet rolls and handwash are there to be used, it is up to the individual to decide how much they want, in my case I want it all.

• Advertisement

people can also choose to walk because its good for them ya know

not when you have blisters on your feet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,959 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Toilet rolls and handwash are there to be used, it is up to the individual to decide how much they want, in my case I want it all.

Tell yourself whatever you want lad, it's theft.

Liamalone wrote: »
    Tell yourself whatever you want lad, it's theft.

i personally know many who do it, the university gym deserve it, the gym equipment is always broke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

i personally know many who do it, the university gym deserve it, the gym equipment is always broke

Maybe they can't afford to fix it? spending too much money replacing hand wash and bog roll :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

This is all myself

When I used to play football i wore the football boots until there was no studs left in them, I was frequently subbed due to slipping when the grass was wet.

Do you walk those 5+ miles in the football boots and that's why the studs are shot?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

I heard this at the weekend...a fella who had sold his car drove it to work and parked in the company carpark where the changeover was going to happen.
    Seeing that the tank was fuller than he would have liked he went off for a drum and a bit of pipe to siphon it off but got his just desserts in the shape of a mouthful of fuel and having it all recorded on the carpark cctv which everyone got to see in the office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

This is part of the reason why most northern Europeans wear slippers indoors - your shoes last much longer. (The other part is hygiene, not wanting to track filth from pavements through their homes.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

I'm tempted to cycle twelve miles to save on bus fare. Anybody commute on a bike?

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »
    I'm tempted to cycle twelve miles to save on bus fare. Anybody commute on a bike?

Look in the Cycling forum you'll find hundreds who do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

This is part of the reason why most northern Europeans wear slippers indoors - your shoes last much longer. (The other part is hygiene, not wanting to track filth from pavements through their homes.)

It's not so much about hygeine as cleanliness, it's to stop people going through the house with snow and slush on their boots along with all the grit that they drag up. Nice idea though.
    GalwayGuy2 wrote: »

Did 21km to and from work in Dublin for a long time, saved €25 a week on petrol and about €10 on tolls. Lost 8 kg over 4 months which was good too. First week was murder, second OKish, after that no bother. Wakes you up, and a 35-50 min commute in the car in traffic was replaced by a 50 min spin on the bike. You also feel more awake and fresher in the morning when you get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

Did 21km to and from work in Dublin for a long time, saved €25 a week on petrol and about €10 on tolls. Lost 8 kg over 4 months which was good too. First week was murder, second OKish, after that no bother. Wakes you up, and a 35-50 min commute in the car in traffic was replaced by a 50 min spin on the bike. You also feel more awake and fresher in the morning when you get in.

I'll probably save about 50 euro on bus fare. And I think the college has showers if I get caught in rain, or I sweat buckets, so on. I get up pretty early anyway, so there's reason not to give it a go.

I should try and train a little during the summer though:P

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭JD DABA

This is all myself

Walking 5 miles wears the shoes/soles down, this causes need for replacement shoes.
    Say E50 for a pair of shoes.
    Using the bus will spare this depreciation/damage at a lower cost over a given time.

Also the calories saved by using the bus will cost less food money to replace.

The money saved can be invested in a high interest account. After 10 years youll have enough to buy your own private handwash. Which you can then choose use yourself or to sell on the bus at a profit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

This is all myself

If you really think about it though, how much would you have to spend on food to have enough energy to do that? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

And you could do like they do in other countries and sell cr@p to people on the bus/train

Red Kev wrote: »
    It's not so much about hygeine as cleanliness, it's to stop people going through the house with snow and slush on their boots along with all the grit that they drag up. Nice idea though.

French families I know do this; I don't think they have that much snow in Paris!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Right then - to recap: did we get closure on Miwadigate or not?

JD DABA wrote: »
    Walking 5 miles wears the shoes/soles down, this causes need for replacement shoes.
    Say E50 for a pair of shoes.
    Using the bus will spare this depreciation/damage at a lower cost over a given time.

Also the calories saved by using the bus will cost less food money to replace.

The money saved can be invested in a high interest account. After 10 years youll have enough to buy your own private handwash. Which you can then choose use yourself or to sell on the bus at a profit.

though the calories i burn walking means i don't have to do long cardio workouts in the gym, which also is better for the gym trainers.

A neighbour of mine is said to keep his chocolate bars in his attic, he visits most houses in the village in a set rota but he dislikes anyone visiting his house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭HansHolzel

Time for the villagers to march on his house with burning torches, so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

A neighbour of mine is said to keep his chocolate bars in his attic.

I'm pretty sure this is a euphuism for gay sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Fudge packer, take a trip up the Bournville Boulevard, on the Cadbury highway, the chocolate starfish.

I think you're right !!!!!!

i'm just realising that now but i don't think it was meant to be, i think someone saw the chocolate bars or something. I imagine they would be a 4 pack (+2 free) of kitkat chunkies

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

After been living in Germany for countless years, I've got into the habit of taking my shoes of inside too, but for hygiene and cleanliness reasons, I'd rather not have the dirt from outside in my home (OK, I ave a dog, so I can't elimiate it, but I can surely cut it down. The amount of sand and mud that gets carried into the house by wearing your ouddoor shoes indoor is amzing (also the hubby in prone to stepping into dog poo, so tif that's not reason enough, then I don't know what is ;) )

Also I find my slippers/socks much more comfy that shoes in the house

Apanachi wrote: »
    After been living in Germany for countless years, I've got into the habit of taking my shoes of inside too, but for hygiene and cleanliness reasons, I'd rather not have the dirt from outside in my home (OK, I ave a dog, so I can't elimiate it, but I can surely cut it down. The amount of sand and mud that gets carried into the house by wearing your ouddoor shoes indoor is amzing (also the hubby in prone to stepping into dog poo, so tif that's not reason enough, then I don't know what is ;) )

Also I find my slippers/socks much more comfy that shoes in the house

And your shoes last years longer if you do this. Slippers: €5 (and you'd probably buy one pair a year); shoes €€€

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

And your shoes last years longer if you do this. Slippers: €5 (and you'd probably buy one pair a year); shoes €€€

Who wears their shoes at home? I let guests wear shoes in my home, unless they're filthy, but I'd never wear shoes at home, can't think of any friends that wear shoes at home either.
    Flipflops are the obvious exception

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement