Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

And your shoes last years longer if you do this. Slippers: €5 (and you'd probably buy one pair a year); shoes €€€

???????
    Profit

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I always take my shoes off at home, much more comfy
    Switch between runners for before/after work and indoor shoes in work

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ONeill2013 wrote: »
    This is all myself

Walk 5+ miles due to not wanting to pay for a bus fare.
    Wear shoes until the sole falls off.
    Steal handwash/toilet rolls from gym/library.
    When I used to play football i wore the football boots until there was no studs left in them, I was frequently subbed due to slipping when the grass was wet.
    You should put the cardboard insert from the toilet rolls in your shoe when the sole wears out.

When my friends dad buy a new pair of shoes he writes the date on the inside.
    Keeps them for 3 or 4 years minimum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭ONeill2013

That reminds me of another of my money management skills, I bought a pair of jeans in 2005 and wore them up until 2011, not everyday though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

That reminds me of another of my money management skills, I bought a pair of jeans in 2005 and wore them up until 2011, not everyday though.

lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭ShelTomato

I have a pair of jeans I bought when I was 16 that I still wear from time to time. I'm 25, and they still fit and look "fashionably raggy" I guess you'd call it :D

ShelTomato wrote: »
    I have a pair of jeans I bought when I was 16 that I still wear from time to time. I'm 25, and they still fit and look "fashionably raggy" I guess you'd call it :D

Jeeeeez never mind the money, I'd be only feckin delighted if jeans I wore as a 16y/o still fit! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I don't think getting good wear out of clothes is stingy; wearing them beyond the point where they should have been binned because you're too tight to buy new ones is stingy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

kylith wrote: »
    I don't think getting good wear out of clothes is stingy; wearing them beyond the point where they should have been binned because you're too tight to buy new ones is stingy.

+1. Sometimes old BO lingers in the fibres. I know someone who wears ancient shirts that absolutely reek, and some have holes in them too.

• Advertisement

ShelTomato wrote: »

I also have a few jackets I bought in 2008 that I still wear on a weekly basis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

One or two people on here have no shame. Or pride.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭spodoinkle

I got the boat over to Scotland a few years back, before mobile phones were popular. It was the day after the 12th July and the waiting area for the boat was covered with men/women in Rangers tops all dying. I sat in the quietest place I could find and this couple came over sat beside me and we chatted about drinking, Glasgow etc. After a while the fella asked to borrow 20p or something to use the phone. I gave him a few coins and away he went made the call and came and sat back down. A few minutes later his girlfriend says she is going for a smoke and asks him for the lighter, the boy gets up, puts his hand in his pocket and as he pulls out the lighter about 5 quid in small change falls out of his pocket.

One or two people on here have no shame. Or pride.

I have a lot of pride, I just don't take posts on an online forum too seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I also have a few jackets I bought in 2008 that I still wear on a weekly basis

My 'good' clothes are from around 2008.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Not sure if this is entirely stinge but it is a bit, so here goes.

Background:

So the local boozer is usually a good spot. I'm not there every night or anything, but have organised a few things in there and left a good bit of cash there over the years, so I'm a regular in the sense that when I do go boozing, it's usually there. In fact, I started going there every Thursday night for the quiz they run.

Guy who owns the bar is usually sound, but he would never recognise me as a regular even tho I would have dealt with him on a first name basis on several occasions. Anyway, no biggy.

So last Thursday my mate and I went in straight after work, had dinner, played a good few games of pool and had a good few beers. We stayed for the quiz as usual but the place was emptier than usual.

The quiz is only a bit of craic and the prize is a round of drinks - which we have seen dished out to teams of four in the past which is fairly sound.

But last Thursday, the guy was being a real jerk. There was only four or five teams and this seemed to bother him. Anyway, we didn't think anything of it, that is until we ended up winning the quiz!!!

We thought, "great, two free beers", but the guy ignores us and then as he is walking past our table, I ask "so what do we get"?

Completely blanks me and comes back down with two small plastic shot glasses filled with some god awful green crap.

We look at these and I ask "what's this" - he replies without even making eye contact "most people say thanks"

Anyway, the prize was neither here nor there tbh. I returned the shots and told he could bin them along with his attitude. Won't be going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭veryangryman

keith16 wrote: »
    Not sure if this is entirely stinge but it is a bit, so here goes.

Background:

So the local boozer is usually a good spot. I'm not there every night or anything, but have organised a few things in there and left a good bit of cash there over the years, so I'm a regular in the sense that when I do go boozing, it's usually there. In fact, I started going there every Thursday night for the quiz they run.

Guy who owns the bar is usually sound, but he would never recognise me as a regular even tho I would have dealt with him on a first name basis on several occasions. Anyway, no biggy.

So last Thursday my mate and I went in straight after work, had dinner, played a good few games of pool and had a good few beers. We stayed for the quiz as usual but the place was emptier than usual.

The quiz is only a bit of craic and the prize is a round of drinks - which we have seen dished out to teams of four in the past which is fairly sound.

But last Thursday, the guy was being a real jerk. There was only four or five teams and this seemed to bother him. Anyway, we didn't think anything of it, that is until we ended up winning the quiz!!!

We thought, "great, two free beers", but the guy ignores us and then as he is walking past our table, I ask "so what do we get"?

Completely blanks me and comes back down with two small plastic shot glasses filled with some god awful green crap.

We look at these and I ask "what's this" - he replies without even making eye contact "most people say thanks"

Anyway, the prize was neither here nor there tbh. I returned the shots and told he could bin them along with his attitude. Won't be going back.

Name and shame please. Crap service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

No need tbh, they are doing a great job in shaming themselves given by how empty the place looks these days. Not sure where they went wrong....but it appears I'm not the only voting with my feet.

It wasn't even the bad service, I can forgive that on an off-night. It was the attitude. He could have said to himself:

"There's the lads, you know what, I'll give them ONE round one the house" quiz or not.

Have got that in other places in Dublin. Even in the "local" boozers on stints working abroad.

Or he could have said:

"sorry lads, quiz is a bit of craic, there's no prize"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

As a barman, some of the stinginess you see is unreal. People skimping on rounds, wanting no head on their pint so they'll fit more beer in etc.

Last week this tosser of a regular came up to the top of the queue at last orders and told me, in a rather smug and accusatory fashion, that i had given him his Guinness in a half litre glass rather than a pint glass, the difference being a whopping 68ml.

He had an old Guinness glass which is shorter than the new one, i told him this but he still insisted that i had given him a half litre glass. So i got an old Guinness glass and compared it to the one he had and it was the same size. Then i noticed on the empty glass i put up actually said PINT on it, which is written on most pint glasses, a fact that i and he totally overlooked as lo and behold his glass had written on it PINT too.

Needless to say the customers at the bar and i pissed ourselves laughing in his face as he slinked away back to his seat, not only did he make himself look stingy but he also managed to make himself out to be a complete tit in the process, a double victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

As a barman, some of the stinginess you see is unreal. People skimping on rounds, wanting no head on their pint so they'll fit more beer in etc.

Last week this tosser of a regular came up to the top of the queue at last orders and told me, in a rather smug and accusatory fashion, that i had given him his Guinness in a half litre glass rather than a pint glass, the difference being a whopping 68ml.

He had an old Guinness glass which is shorter than the new one, i told him this but he still insisted that i had given him a half litre glass. So i got an old Guinness glass and compared it to the one he had and it was the same size. Then i noticed on the empty glass i put up actually said PINT on it, which is written on most pint glasses, a fact that i and he totally overlooked as lo and behold his glass had written on it PINT too.

Needless to say the customers at the bar and i pissed ourselves laughing in his face as he slinked away back to his seat, not only did he make himself look stingy but he also managed to make himself out to be a complete tit in the process, a double victory.

He needs humiliation like that on a daily basis to put a stop to that kinda behaviour. Hopefully will think twice the next time, but people like that rarely have any shame

• Advertisement

I always ask for this, but its not because I want to fit more beer in, I just think a big head is ridculous and not particularly pleasant.

Regardless of how stiingy the guy was, it was up to you to maintain your professionalism and laughing in a customers face is generally not acceptable regardless of what they have done.

Of course yer man came across like a tool.

I'm dying to know what pub this is!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭veryangryman

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    I'm dying to know what pub this is!! :)

Me too. Is there any harm in saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Me too. Is there any harm in saying?

We might all stop going to the bar that no one goes to....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

I always ask for this, but its not because I want to fit more beer in, I just think a big head is ridculous and not particularly pleasant.

YES!! This! Especially with Guinness. I hate it when the fu(king thing comes back with half a foot of head on it. It's not that hard to get right.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭ElWalrus

A group of friends and I went to a par 3 golf course. It was a tenner for a round. One of the group said he wasn't paying it cause it looked like it might rain and he wouldn't get his monies worth. Went back and sat in his car while we went off playing. He sneaks on to the course when we're 5 holes in, and joins in with us. He's definitely not short of money. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

You'd hate draught beer in Germany then, the head is friggin' MASSIVE!!!!

looks like this

Apanachi wrote: »
    You'd hate draught beer in Germany then, the head is friggin' MASSIVE!!!!

looks like this

A flute of beer? lol just joking :)

I dont mind the guinness head actually, but the beer one drives me mad :(

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

A flute of beer? lol just joking :)
    A tulip actually ;)

But the heads on the half litre pints are the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Regardless of how stiingy the guy was, it was up to you to maintain your professionalism and laughing in a customers face is generally not acceptable regardless of what they have done.

B*llocks. When you're slaving away for minimum wage dealing with whingebags and drunks then a bit of banter is to be expected. If anything, barstaff don't stand up for themselves as much. When I worked in a bar I had people shouting at me because the boss (not me) put up the price of a pint by 5p, or moaning they got less onion rings than last time, or b*tching they didn't get enough foam on their cappuccino. I'd die of shame before whinging to some youngfella about the brand of crisps being changed or that I didn't get enough lettuce on my burger.

I've always found it funny how some grown adults act like contrary auld ones or spoilt kids when it comes to having a few pints. Sometimes these arseholes need to be set to rights and if they end up with people laughing at them for acting the fool then tough sh*t.

The customer isn't always right, sometimes they are plain wrong. And sometimes they are just plain c*nts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement