Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

FTA69 wrote: »
    B*llocks. When you're slaving away for minimum wage dealing with whingebags and drunks then a bit of banter is to be expected. If anything, barstaff don't stand up for themselves as much. When I worked in a bar I had people shouting at me because the boss (not me) put up the price of a pint by 5p, or moaning they got less onion rings than last time, or b*tching they didn't get enough foam on their cappuccino. I'd die of shame before whinging to some youngfella about the brand of crisps being changed or that I didn't get enough lettuce on my burger.

I've always found it funny how some grown adults act like contrary auld ones or spoilt kids when it comes to having a few pints. Sometimes these arseholes need to be set to rights and if they end up with people laughing at them for acting the fool then tough sh*t.

The customer isn't always right, sometimes they are plain wrong. And sometimes they are just plain c*nts.

I'm not disagreeing with you but I've always felt that bar staff have a better "right of reply" than other service staff. If a customer gets lippy with a barman more often than not the barman will tell him to f off and refuse to serve him and be in the right.

Try pulling a stunt like that in retail or a restaurant and you'd end up explaining yourself to your manager. I have lost count of the amount of times when I was working in a restaurant that I had to bite my tongue and thought "You wouldn't get away with that sh*t in a pub"

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭DarkDusk

Collie D wrote: »
    I'm not disagreeing with you but I've always felt that bar staff have a better "right of reply" than other service staff. If a customer gets lippy with a barman more often than not the barman will tell him to f off and refuse to serve him and be in the right.

Try pulling a stunt like that in retail or a restaurant and you'd end up explaining yourself to your manager. I have lost count of the amount of times when I was working in a restaurant that I had to bite my tongue and thought "You wouldn't get away with that sh*t in a pub"

While that does sound good on paper, when you are working behind the bar you have to be VERY careful about what you say. You are better off keeping your mouth shut in my opinion. You may risk putting off "regulars" from returning to the pub again or damaging future business due to word of mouth around the community. You never know who's friends or family with who and how many customers you may lose by your actions. Of course this only really applies to local pubs, less so to pubs in cities etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

My flatmate of 3 months who rarely bothers with conversation unless it is immediately followed by a request for something , and never shares but always takes, sat down for a " chat" and asked if she could live for free " here" because she felt we were friends & had a holiday booked for 3 weeks to Australia & didn't know what she was doing then after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

My flatmate of 3 months who rarely bothers with conversation unless it is immediately followed by a request for something , and never shares but always takes, sat down for a " chat" and asked if she could live for free " here" because she felt we were friends & had a holiday booked for 3 weeks to Australia & didn't know what she was doing then after that.

What was your response?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

how hard did you laugh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

Sounds like a reasonable request :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sparksfly

Saw a guy jump over a wall to get to church as there was a collection/flower sale for daffodil day at the gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

What was your response?

I managed to keep it together, calmly looked up from my phone, & casually said ' if you want to leave you have to give a months notice' , paused to observe her facial reaction, & went back to my phone.
    I can still feel the inner rage & outrage at this well monied stranger who never speaks expect to scab something from me.

Keeping it together & being calm & mannerly in this situation was the hardest thing I've had to do in AGES.

She went to her room & went ballistic screaming & crying .

Handed in her notice last night -thought she could choose a day & leave without giving a months . O .. & didn't want to pay her bills cos they were " just for two months".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

I managed to keep it together, calmly looked up from my phone, & casually said ' if you want to leave you have to give a months notice' , paused to observe her facial reaction, & went back to my phone.
    I can still feel the inner rage & outrage at this well monied stranger who never speaks expect to scab something from me.

Keeping it together & being calm & mannerly in this situation was the hardest thing I've had to do in AGES.

She went to her room & went ballistic screaming & crying .

Handed in her notice last night -thought she could choose a day & leave without giving a months . O .. & didn't want to pay her bills cos they were " just for two months".

It's sounds like you'll be better off without her. Not just for being stingy but also the reaction. She's clearly a bit unbalanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

PTH2009 wrote: »
    i work in a place where every wednesday its 6 Euro entry (7.95-9.95 every other day) and boy this is when the stingy people come out

It used to be 5 euro on wednesdays but after a price review it was put up 1 euro to 6 euro.

People where giving out that they had to pay 1 euro extra some even emailing head offices, some bycotting, some even getting pissy at workers, i even heard of someone crying cause they didnt have enough money lol

i once served a customer who bought something for 5.99 and handed my 6 euro and i didnt have any 0.1c's in my til so i said 'im sorry i have no 0.1cs in my til' and the customer said i cant be without 1 cent and stood there demanding he get his 1 cent change so i gave him 5 cents and he went off (tight git)

Theres people who come only on wednesdays and some are generally snotty precious rich ***** who are plan stupied and think the world owes them.

I also find people stingy who bring in there own foods (cheap microwave popcorn, 40c bottles of coke etc)

I also know someone that works 4 jobs and eats cheap cans of beans etc for dinner and gives out when he doesnt get enough hours for the week

SOME PEOPLE MAKE YOU WANT TO KILL. NO WONDER HITLER AND THE LIKES EXCISTED lol

Cinema food prices are completely insane so I have no qualms about bringing in a bottle of water. It's 2.90 for a bottle of Ballygowan in the cinema here, you can get 12 500ml bottles of still water in tesco for about 3.50. Same with bags of sweet, 3.30 for a bag of m&ms or 2 quid for one from a supermarket?

I went to the cinema yesterday and didnt have time to get anything beforehand, cost me 17 quid to see Pacific Rim, get a small coke and bag of sweets, fuuuuuck that. Used to be that we went to see a movie before going to the pub, now its cheaper to go on the piss than it is to see a movie. I try go see as many films as a I can in the cinema instead of pirating them but I draw the line at the food prices they're nuts. I'd hate to be taking a family to see a movie, last thing I took my nephew to was Despicable Me 2 in 3D, it cost me nearly 40 quid between the two of us and it wasn't like we went nuts on food, was a drink and sweets each an the tickets and glasses. The two women in front of me had 5 kids with them and they spent the bones of 150 bucks bringing them to see a movie ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭ustari

You don't have to buy food and drinks when you go to the cinema, you will only be in there 2 hours or so.

Cinemas have very tight margins on films, they barely make money on the tickets iirc. However they make up for this by charging people who feel like they "have" to get popcorn and a drink over the odds.

You mention that you go to the pub yet they charge over the odds compared to the supermarket as they provide a venue, a setting and an experience. Just like a cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

ustari wrote: »
    Cinemas have very tight margins on films, they barely make money on the tickets iirc. However they make up for this by charging people who feel like they "have" to get popcorn and a drink over the odds.

I understand this, but tbh I don't see why your average cinema-goer should care. It's something they need to sort out with the studios and make a change... nothing justifies charging 1000% mark ups on something as readily available elsewhere as bloody popcorn.

Cineworld 25% discount has gone some way to making it reasonable and I find myself buying food in there a bit more often now, but it's still ridiculously priced and have no qualms about bringing in my own.

krudler wrote: »
    17 quid to see Pacific Rim.

I genuinely feel sympathy for you. Worst movie I have ever seen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

On one side of the family they are all stingy as hell but still do the whole buying Christmas presents because they feel obliged too (wish they wouldn't!!). I used to get them crappy soap sets from the pound shop or something equally as crappy.

Anyway, I would be left with a pile of crap every year that I dare not use in case my skin fell off. So I came up with a plan. The following Christmas, I decided to give them back their crappy presents from the year before. Stingiest thing I have ever done. :P Needless to say, they don't give me presents anymore and thank god for that. :)

I genuinely feel sympathy for you. Worst movie I have ever seen

I thought it was great fun :pac: I paid to see big robots punching sh1t and I got it in spades.

ustari wrote: »
    You don't have to buy food and drinks when you go to the cinema, you will only be in there 2 hours or so.

You mention that you go to the pub yet they charge over the odds compared to the supermarket as they provide a venue, a setting and an experience. Just like a cinema.

Oh I totally agree, have often gone and bought nothing but a cup of coffee or bottle of water, I'm not someone who needs to eat enough to feed a small family while watching a film, I wouldnt sit there and drink a litre of coke and binbag full of popcorn watching a dvd on the couch. But I cut my chocolate intake way down so the times I go to the cinema I justify it :pac:
    I used to work in a cinema, the markup on popcorn is astronomical, and the drinks are syrupy watered down crap, its why coke always tastes different at the cinema, comes out of two pumps combining to make the drink. Or at least that's how it was back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

I've re-read this post at least a dozen times this morning. Its hard to fathom how anyone could be so disconnected from reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Or at least that's how it was back then.

Still is, you can see one is pumping coke and the other water.

Ages and ages back I was living in a flat with a friend, my girlfriend at the time was from a different town and just finished college so was back living with her parents, so she'd stay over the odd time, not a bother there he had no problem with it either, but 1-2 nights then became a few nights a week, then she started doing her laundry there (wouldnt bother me flinging a few things in with my wash) during the day running the washer and dryer.

Our esb bill was huge one month and it was purely from her usage as we were both at work until 6pm every day and our bills previous to this was half what it was that month, there was more daytime use than night so it was obviously her. So I naturally asked her to stump up some money for the extra usage, well she flipped out over it, "can't believe you'd ask me for money like that, I dont live here wah wah wah". People who think they're entitled to live somewhere for free annoy the crap out of me.

Ages and ages back I was living in a flat with a friend, my girlfriend at the time was from a different town and just finished college so was back living with her parents, so she'd stay over the odd time, not a bother there he had no problem with it either, but 1-2 nights then became a few nights a week, then she started doing her laundry there (wouldnt bother me flinging a few things in with my wash) during the day running the washer and dryer.

Our esb bill was huge one month and it was purely from her usage as we were both at work until 6pm every day and our bills previous to this was half what it was that month, there was more daytime use than night so it was obviously her. So I naturally asked her to stump up some money for the extra usage, well she flipped out over it, "can't believe you'd ask me for money like that, I dont live here wah wah wah". People who think they're entitled to live somewhere for free annoy the crap out of me.

One of my friends gf basically moved into a flat my friend was sharing with 3 other lads. Like you said above, first it was a few nights a week, then she was basically living there Mon to Fri, not paying a red cent....

That's really common.

Funnily enough, one of the guys who lived in that house was a real stinge. He used to take the knobs of the washing machine so you couldn't use it and take the light bulbs out.... He also moved out in the middle of the night and didn't tell anyone he was going, as he didn't want to pay last months rent of the lease.

Glad I didn't live in that house. . . .

• Advertisement

maguic24 wrote: »
    One of my friends gf basically moved into a flat my friend was sharing with 3 other lads. Like you said above, first it was a few nights a week, then she was basically living there Mon to Fri, not paying a red cent....

That's really common.

My current housemate's missus stays maybe 2 nights a week, I have zero issue with it as they normally cook food they buy or get a takeaway and she doesnt leave anything here or stuff like that so she's more than welcome to stay, but if she was doing her washing here or staying 4 nights a week I'd be saying something about it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Someone I used to live with before decided at one point, for no obvious reason, that they should only have to pay half the rent and that it'd be fine. They didn't last the next month after paying half.

Angron wrote: »
    Someone I used to live with before decided at one point, for no obvious reason, that they should only have to pay half the rent and that it'd be fine. They didn't last the next month after paying half.

Ha one of my ex's former housemates thought the same, a few of them rented a house for the summer as it was cheap and this one was a complete baby who went home for her dinners even though she was living there and paying rent, eventually she figured she shouldn't owe the full month as she was "barely there" why the fcuk would you choose to move out then spend half your time back at your parents place? :confused:

That being said you'd be amazed how many people don't think they should pay their phone bills if they're abroad "oh you cant charge me the full months line rental as I was outside the country for 3 weeks" ehhhh, yeah we can, you chose to go on holidays. Tell ya what ring the bank and say you wont be paying your full mortgage this month as you werent at home for most of it, see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

This thread makes me genuinely grateful that I've never had to flat share with strangers.

Christ.

Footoo wrote: »
    This thread makes me genuinely grateful that I've never had to flat share with strangers.

Christ.

Sharing with your friends is worse in some cases.....

You don't really know someone until you live with them. I would prefer to live with strangers, as I fell out with the friends I did live with. Thankfully, it was no big loss as we weren't that close in the first place.

Footoo wrote: »

Christ.

I'd rather live alone tbh, I've only lived with two people and both were friends, we got/get on grand and havent had any arguments bar minor niggling things. Living alone is the fcuking job aside from the expense. I couldnt do the living with 4-5 randomers thing, heard too many horror stories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I thought my housemate was bad, stingiest thing she's done is cause half of my cheesecake to disappear. Plenty of other annoying things but thats for bringing back the annoying housemate thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,997 ✭✭✭conorhal

I was sharing a house with a Chinese dude and one other tenant, one day my Chinese flat mate ‘informs me’ that a ‘friend’ of his would be staying in his room for a little bit while his friend was searching for a flat. Ooooookay.
    Two months later Lucy Lu, my flat mates girlfriend (he forgot to mentioned that) is still slumped on our sofa all day watching DVD’s. Eventually I corner my Chinese flat mate and ask him exactly how long his 'friend' would be staying. I also present him with the latest bills and tell him that we should be splitting them 4 ways instead of three, (given that Lucy was sitting at home all day using more electricity than all three of us put together that only seemed fair).
    He agreed readily enough, but it still annoyed me intensely that it had never even occurred to them to offer to contribute to the bills. Anyhow, her boyfriend tells me that she will only be there for two more weeks tops, two weeks later she’s still there. Then out of the blue I get a text from my other flat mate to say that he’s moving out at the end of the month, of course 2 seconds later I get a text from Lucy asking if she can have his room. You can imagine how stitched up I felt, clearly all this had been arranged behind my back and the cow lived rent free for nearly three months on my dime, but I sucked it up and thought, “well, better the devil you know”, how wrong was I.

I've never met such a tight cnut (and not in the good way....)

One day she comes into the living room and announces that the bulb in her bedroom has blown, looks at me expectantly, then ponders whether or not she should call the landlord. I ignore her, a few days later I notice that the hall light bulb is missing.

It transpires that Lucy never once bought toilet roll for the bathroom she shared with our other flatmate, just for herself, and she would return to her room with the roll once she was finished in there. One day, to her intense aggravation my other flatmate noticed that the new loo roll she'd put in the bathroom a couple of days before was missing. Exasperated, shee knocks on Lucy’s bedroom door and asks her where the bloody loo roll has gone. The door closes. Then a few moments later it reopens and Lucy show’s her two loo rolls and asks her to identify which one was hers. WTF?

Occasionally I'd wake up freezing on a winters morning because the sneaky cow would surreptitiously switch off the storage heaters if she was away for the weekend, because while she kept heaters blazing in her room 24/7 on account of always feeling cold, the rest of us could freeze before she'd permit the heating bill to climb while she was away.

Eventually (much to my relief) Lucy moved out. When it came time to carve up her final share of the bills she went through them like a forensic accountant, because the final ESB bill was an estimate (a pretty accurate one it turns out)she demanded that I get an exact reading off the ESB meter and then moaned about a couple of bloody euro here and there.
    Now I've no problem with people being exact about what they owe, but at the same time Lucy had a pretty sweet deal over the three years that she had lived in that house. I never once asked her for a contribution towards the NTL or TV license bills (she didn't often watch TV so I waved the 'all bills should be split equally' rule in that case) and she did enjoy the benefits of free broadband and phone calls courtesy of my work which paid for both while we were living there. And let me tell you, that girl was never off the phone or broadband. She even once asked me if I could get a wireless phone from work once so that she could abuse that privilege further by taking the phone up to her room (she really hated that I insisted that the house phone stay where it was in the hall and she was far too cheap to actually go and buy a wireless phone herself). So, given that there were a fair few perks to living in the house with me that she would otherwise have to had paid for elsewhere I was really annoyed about her quibbling over a couple of euro on an ESB bill.

About three months she had moved out, I get a call from her asking if any of the meat that she had left in the freezer was still there and could she come around and collect it. Seriously, she had been hoping that after going back to China for the summer that I would have kept all her food in cold storage for her. Naturally I informed her that I threw out her unidentifiable ‘mystery meat’ after she had left.

And breathe…… God it felt good getting that off my chest! There are of course 1001 more stories I could tell about this chick but I don’t want Boards servers to fall over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

I live with friends but one is currently moving out, we were going to absorb the extra cost rather than get someone else unless we could find another friend - I think that this thread over the last couple of months was what made me so adamant about not bringing in some stranger!

With my friends we just give each other a bollocking if someone isnt pulling their weight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Maybe wont be classed as stingy although it got me fairly pi33ed.

I was on Erasmus a few years ago and lived with a Polish guy and 2 Ukrainians.
    Now the Polish guy and I got on fairly well, similar habbits etc. 1 Ukrainian was as good as Gold but the other one was the biggest thief I'd ever encounter.
    One day my mother came over to visit for the weekend and gave me a bit of cash in Euro just as a well done kind of thing. Put the money into my wallet and left it in my inside pocket. The next morning when I was off to class I open my wallet and found it completely empty. I knew someone must have taken it and I waited till I got back to confront everyone. 2 of the guys I believed and the other I didnt as this bastard never has any money but still came home with brand new shoes. Couldnt prove it though.
    Fast-forward a few months and the 3 of us honest ones all had foreign currency in our rooms, how this lad thought we wouldnt realise I dont know as he stole all the cash I had, about 600USD from the other Ukrainian and about 1000E from the Polish lad.
    The moment we realised it was all gone (the other Ukrainian wasnt there) we went though all his stuff until we found a bank receipt (those things that acknowledge you have put money into your acc) with all the money that had been lodged into his account.
    Police called, University informed and off he went. Thank Christ the police made damn sure the money was withdrawn from his account before his Visa was rebuked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement