Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Yeah, that's out and out theft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

My gf used to share with a guy and he let me stay over the odd night (it was literally just home from nightclub, sneak into bed and straight out to work the next morning - I even showered in work) Most I did was flush the loo lol. Anyway that was fine, next thing he moves his wife and kid in from abroad...grand...then she puts the foot down - no more "visitors". Stingebags. What made it more annoying was my gf told me the woman had her child in the bath about 4 times a day, the washing machine and dryer were constantly going with baby clothes being washed. House constantly overheated in case the child got cold, and the immersion on 24/7 - and my gf had to ask for the bill to be split differently!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Yeah, that's out and out theft.

Theft with a hint of stupidity thrown in. I make no bones about it, I was delighted that he was sent away.
    The fact that he thought he could get away with stealing thousands still astonishes me to this day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    My gf used to share with a guy and he let me stay over the odd night (it was literally just home from nightclub, sneak into bed and straight out to work the next morning - I even showered in work) Most I did was flush the loo lol. Anyway that was fine, next thing he moves his wife and kid in from abroad...grand...then she puts the foot down - no more "visitors". Stingebags. What made it more annoying was my gf told me the woman had her child in the bath about 4 times a day, the washing machine and dryer were constantly going with baby clothes being washed. House constantly overheated in case the child got cold, and the immersion on 24/7 - and my gf had to ask for the bill to be split differently!

You sound jealous he dumped you for his wife

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Kolido wrote: »
    You sound jealous he dumped you for his wife
    :D

He's not really my type...being male and all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭saltyjack silverblade

I am looking for a room in an apartment at the moment and so I am doing the rounds of places. Today I was in a place and the guy made himself a cup of tea. He then asked me if I would like a cup. He removed the tea bag from his and placed it in my cup. He then handed me the cup to drink without milk, lemon and sugar. Still kind of shocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

I am looking for a room in an apartment at the moment and so I am doing the rounds of places. Today I was in a place and the guy made himself a cup of tea. He then asked me if I would like a cup. He removed the tea bag from his and placed it in my cup. He then handed me the cup to drink without milk, lemon and sugar. Still kind of shocked.

Tea without lemon?! The monster.

Newaglish wrote: »
    Tea without lemon?! The monster.

I'd be more concerned about the lack of boiling water.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,959 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Take the hint lol

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Oh Dear *monocle drops into lemony tea*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Reminds me of the time a 'friend' made me a salad and didn't chill the salad forks.

Obviously I made my excuses and left, and needless to say, they are a friend no longer!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

How big is the apartment? :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

I know a guy in his 40s who was doing an Arts degree by night and used his student card every chance he got for discounts. Golf clubs, cinema etc.

We used to laugh when he's flash the card but he didn't even blink.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I know a guy in his 40s who was doing an Arts degree by night and used his student card every chance he got for discounts. Golf clubs, cinema etc.

He used a valid student card for student discounts? The cad!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Would be stupid not to use it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

How is that stingy? I'm in the same boat, doing a distance degree that's costing me 9 grand in fees; damn straight I'm availaing of the student discount anywhere that offers it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Having to pay €0.40 to use a toilet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭saltyjack silverblade

Seems the humour isn't stingy around here though the wit leaves something to be desired!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭irritablebaz

i have a neighbour who uses me as a free shop. almost every day she asks for this or that. coffee, milk, washing powder, bread, eggs, washing up liquid, spuds, i could go on. thing is the shops are just a couple of minutes walk away and whenever i need anything i just shoot down and get it. i dont know, am i the one being mean.

just the other day she was over for a coffee and i put some biscuits out. she had a few but when leaving asked if she could take what was left of the biscuits home with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

i have a neighbour who uses me as a free shop. almost every day she asks for this or that. coffee, milk, washing powder, bread, eggs, washing up liquid, spuds, i could go on. thing is the shops are just a couple of minutes walk away and whenever i need anything i just shoot down and get it. i dont know, am i the one being mean.

just the other day she was over for a coffee and i put some biscuits out. she had a few but when leaving asked if she could take what was left of the biscuits home with her.

You aren't being mean, you are being taken for granted. Stop giving her the things and let her go to the shop like the rest of us!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

How on earth do you think you're being stingy? Next time she asks for anything tell her to stop being a leech and go to the shop herself. Asking for an egg or a cup of milk the odd time is one thing, asking for stuff constantly is the work of a sponger. Stop being an easy mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

kylith wrote: »
    How on earth do you think you're being stingy? Next time she asks for anything tell her to stop being a leech and go to the shop herself. Asking for an egg or a cup of milk the odd time is one thing, asking for stuff constantly is the work of a sponger. Stop being an easy mark.

And best of all, you'll probably never see her again.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Sure why wouldn't you use it? You're telling me if you had a card that got you cheaper stuff you wouldn't use it? pffff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I say fair play to him for trying to get his education in order and paying his way through. He uses his card legally which in turn doesnt give you huge discounts but he is well within his rights to use it.
    As mentioned, would you not use a card which provided discounts or sometimes free items?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

krudler wrote: »
    Sure why wouldn't you use it? You're telling me if you had a card that got you cheaper stuff you wouldn't use it? pffff.

Agreed. Thats not stingy, thats pretty normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Mr. G wrote: »
    Having to pay €0.40 to use a toilet.
    Ah ya when your mum starts charging you that you know it's time to move out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Milk with lemon? Bleurgh

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

Was in the same position, went away on hols, left her the keys and asked her to feed the cat. While we were away she used our tumble dryer to dry everything she had when hers broke down, it was summer and the weather was blistering (actually it was 2005 the last heatwave!). We got a friend to come up and shut off the trip switch to the shed. She then thought she broke it - said nothing to us either. You're being taken advantage of.
    BTW she uses other neighbours to get food off of!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

No doubt she has no money; but I'd you pardon the pun asking for the rest of the pack is just taking the biscuit. Next time she comes & asks say no or if you find that a bit harsh do what I do & say ' not really'. It sounds less harsh & it will still stop her ; plus you can repeat it without sounding like a tyrant!
    Scabby Neighbour - can I have an egg
    You ; - O not really.
    Scabby neighbour - can I have your pen
    You - O not really.
    Scabby Neighbout - can I have your tea.
    You - O not really . It dosn't suite.

Covers a Multitude & can
    Be used in for multiple requests in quick succession ! You are NOt a scab. Asking for the rest should e the final straw. Don't give excuses or expand - practice declining her scabbing before she comes. Once you get it out a few
    Times It's Much easier! My freeloading
    Neighbour used to do that in me - ended
    Up multiple requests for money which she " forgot" to pay back or " my dole was stolen/must have fallen out of
    My pocket/ but I need it "etc .
    You have to finally stand up to them & keep saying No & they will Move in & leech off someone else. That's all they typically want : they're not typically a friend , you're Convenient and nice, but they're just using you. : )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Next time she comes around looking for a drop of milk, id get the milk and top it up with eye drops for her, she'll have an arse like the flag of japan :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement