Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭stanley 2

Sounds like a movie doesn't it?
    ahome that took people in at a time when nobody else would

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

conorhal wrote: »
    I was sharing a house with a Chinese dude and one other tenant, one day my Chinese flat mate ‘informs me’ that a ‘friend’ of his would be staying in his room for a little bit while his friend was searching for a flat. Ooooookay.
    Two months later Lucy Lu, my flat mates girlfriend (he forgot to mentioned that) is still slumped on our sofa all day watching DVD’s. Eventually I corner my Chinese flat mate and ask him exactly how long his 'friend' would be staying. I also present him with the latest bills and tell him that we should be splitting them 4 ways instead of three, (given that Lucy was sitting at home all day using more electricity than all three of us put together that only seemed fair).
    He agreed readily enough, but it still annoyed me intensely that it had never even occurred to them to offer to contribute to the bills. Anyhow, her boyfriend tells me that she will only be there for two more weeks tops, two weeks later she’s still there. Then out of the blue I get a text from my other flat mate to say that he’s moving out at the end of the month, of course 2 seconds later I get a text from Lucy asking if she can have his room. You can imagine how stitched up I felt, clearly all this had been arranged behind my back and the cow lived rent free for nearly three months on my dime, but I sucked it up and thought, “well, better the devil you know”, how wrong was I.

I've never met such a tight cnut (and not in the good way....)

One day she comes into the living room and announces that the bulb in her bedroom has blown, looks at me expectantly, then ponders whether or not she should call the landlord. I ignore her, a few days later I notice that the hall light bulb is missing.

It transpires that Lucy never once bought toilet roll for the bathroom she shared with our other flatmate, just for herself, and she would return to her room with the roll once she was finished in there. One day, to her intense aggravation my other flatmate noticed that the new loo roll she'd put in the bathroom a couple of days before was missing. Exasperated, shee knocks on Lucy’s bedroom door and asks her where the bloody loo roll has gone. The door closes. Then a few moments later it reopens and Lucy show’s her two loo rolls and asks her to identify which one was hers. WTF?

Occasionally I'd wake up freezing on a winters morning because the sneaky cow would surreptitiously switch off the storage heaters if she was away for the weekend, because while she kept heaters blazing in her room 24/7 on account of always feeling cold, the rest of us could freeze before she'd permit the heating bill to climb while she was away.

Eventually (much to my relief) Lucy moved out. When it came time to carve up her final share of the bills she went through them like a forensic accountant, because the final ESB bill was an estimate (a pretty accurate one it turns out)she demanded that I get an exact reading off the ESB meter and then moaned about a couple of bloody euro here and there.
    Now I've no problem with people being exact about what they owe, but at the same time Lucy had a pretty sweet deal over the three years that she had lived in that house. I never once asked her for a contribution towards the NTL or TV license bills (she didn't often watch TV so I waved the 'all bills should be split equally' rule in that case) and she did enjoy the benefits of free broadband and phone calls courtesy of my work which paid for both while we were living there. And let me tell you, that girl was never off the phone or broadband. She even once asked me if I could get a wireless phone from work once so that she could abuse that privilege further by taking the phone up to her room (she really hated that I insisted that the house phone stay where it was in the hall and she was far too cheap to actually go and buy a wireless phone herself). So, given that there were a fair few perks to living in the house with me that she would otherwise have to had paid for elsewhere I was really annoyed about her quibbling over a couple of euro on an ESB bill.

About three months she had moved out, I get a call from her asking if any of the meat that she had left in the freezer was still there and could she come around and collect it. Seriously, she had been hoping that after going back to China for the summer that I would have kept all her food in cold storage for her. Naturally I informed her that I threw out her unidentifiable ‘mystery meat’ after she had left.

And breathe…… God it felt good getting that off my chest! There are of course 1001 more stories I could tell about this chick but I don’t want Boards servers to fall over.

You had a massive opportunity right here. Just change the wireless password anytime she got on your wick.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭irritablebaz

No doubt she has no money; but I'd you pardon the pun asking for the rest of the pack is just taking the biscuit. Next time she comes & asks say no or if you find that a bit harsh do what I do & say ' not really'. It sounds less harsh & it will still stop her ; plus you can repeat it without sounding like a tyrant!
    Scabby Neighbour - can I have an egg
    You ; - O not really.
    Scabby neighbour - can I have your pen
    You - O not really.
    Scabby Neighbout - can I have your tea.
    You - O not really . It dosn't suite.

Covers a Multitude & can
    Be used in for multiple requests in quick succession ! You are NOt a scab. Asking for the rest should e the final straw. Don't give excuses or expand - practice declining her scabbing before she comes. Once you get it out a few
    Times It's Much easier! My freeloading
    Neighbour used to do that in me - ended
    Up multiple requests for money which she " forgot" to pay back or " my dole was stolen/must have fallen out of
    My pocket/ but I need it "etc .
    You have to finally stand up to them & keep saying No & they will Move in & leech off someone else. That's all they typically want : they're not typically a friend , you're Convenient and nice, but they're just using you. : )

very funny but good advice and i will use it. i did think she was taking advantage but sometimes you just need clarification from other people to clear those little doubts in your head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

You had a massive opportunity right here. Just change the wireless password anytime she got on your wick.

Indeed. Wonder what he did with the frozen dog meat. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

arsenal add 1£ to the 40 million to break the clause :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,997 ✭✭✭conorhal

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Indeed. Wonder what he did with the frozen dog meat. :D

Bin.
    If I couldn't identify it, I sure as wasn't going to eat it!

Sometimes living with the Chinese could be a ordeal, they are unbelievably cheap and are loathe to contribute anything to the house (and yet never stint on luxury goods for themselves and seem to be absolute label whores).
    A trip to the frigde always filled me with trepidation as I braced myself for whatever fresh horror might await when I opened the door, what might it be today? A plate full of chicken feet? Half a calf head? Some duck foetus?

Ugh.... It was like living with Jeffrery Dahlmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

maguic24 wrote: »
    On one side of the family they are all stingy as hell but still do the whole buying Christmas presents because they feel obliged too (wish they wouldn't!!). I used to get them crappy soap sets from the pound shop or something equally as crappy.

Anyway, I would be left with a pile of crap every year that I dare not use in case my skin fell off. So I came up with a plan. The following Christmas, I decided to give them back their crappy presents from the year before. Stingiest thing I have ever done. :P Needless to say, they don't give me presents anymore and thank god for that. :)

You actually come off as extremely stingy! It's the thought that counts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

You actually come off as extremely stingy! It's the thought that counts.

Well, I did say it was the stingiest thing I have ever done. :P I felt I was getting crappy presents just because I was a relative... Not really thoughtful to be honest. I barely know them. :P I only buy presents for people I care about it. I mean I have received lovely thoughtful presents (like scrapbooks my friends gave me & picture frames) and I love them. I think gifts like that are thoughtful. I also love letters.

But cheap soap sets from people I don't really know/like, no thanks. Maybe that's just me, but totally relieved I don't get them anymore. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I know a man that stayed in a hotel for a night with his family during a trip up the country. He took a mobile grill with him and did a big fry up in the bathroom of their hotel room so that he could use the extractor fan to get rid of the frying smell in case they were detected by hotel staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

maguic24 wrote: »
    I used to get them crappy soap sets from the pound shop

Anyway, I would be left with a pile of crap every year that I dare not use in case my skin fell off.

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Sam Kade wrote: »
    I know a man that stayed in a hotel for a night with his family during a trip up the country. He took a mobile grill with him and did a big fry up in the bathroom of their hotel room so that he could use the extractor fan to get rid of the frying smell in case they were detected by hotel staff.

Nothing wrong with that :D

I put a sock overthe smoke alarm and smoke away :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭Curlysue76

Bin.
    If I couldn't identify it, I sure as wasn't going to eat it!

Sometimes living with the Chinese could be a ordeal, they are unbelievably cheap and are loathe to contribute anything to the house (and yet never stint on luxury goods for themselves and seem to be absolute label whores).
    A trip to the frigde always filled me with trepidation as I braced myself for whatever fresh horror might await when I opened the door, what might it be today? A plate full of chicken feet? Half a calf head? Some duck foetus?

Ugh.... It was like living with Jeffrery Dahlmer.

Wrong wrong wrong, generalisation and downright racist!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jay1988

Curlysue76 wrote: »

Not really, calm down, there is over a billion Chinese people in the world, they don't need you to get offended for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,997 ✭✭✭conorhal

Curlysue76 wrote: »

:D And yet, not a word of a lie, every single item listed appeared in that fridge. (or freezer) If you don't believe me, google duck balut images.... if you have the stomach for it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

:D And yet, not a word of a lie, every single item listed appeared in that fridge. (or freezer) If you don't believe me, google duck balut images.... if you have the stomach for it....

Balut is from the Philippines. Which isn't in Asia... (In case you're just naming a random "Like, totally gross Asian thing, omg, ew")

Oh and stingy thing. Hmmm... I was talking to a friend today about clothes and we were both complaining about the expense of clothing. Then I mentioned that I paid about 120 euro for a dress+shoes delivered (which is very cheap, yay for sales!) and he was shocked at the horrific expense.
    All this time, we were on different planets regarding what was expensive.
    It turns out he's never spent more than 30 euro on a pair of shoes.
    No wonder he has to replace them once a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

reallyrose wrote: »
    Balut is from the Philippines. Which isn't in Asia... (In case you're just naming a random "Like, totally gross Asian thing, omg, ew")

Oh and stingy thing. Hmmm... I was talking to a friend today about clothes and we were both complaining about the expense of clothing. Then I mentioned that I paid about 120 euro for a dress+shoes delivered (which is very cheap, yay for sales!) and he was shocked at the horrific expense.

Right...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Was in Burger King with a few mates and one of them asked to borrow some change so he could get his food, so we all gave him a couple of quid, having to change our orders to something we could then afford, he then comes back with a big fecking XL meal.

Was away in Liverpool with the same lads and we were having a few drinks at the bar in the hotel. Same friend was taking our money and getting the rounds with it. He took a fiver off of us each time, turns out it was only actually 3.50 for the drinks and he was using the extra change so he didn't have to pay!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

Féck. I meant to say "isn't in China". I was thinking while posting "Make sure not to accidentally say Asia". OH WELL, too late to edit and save my humiliation now. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭XsApollo

I was standing out side a car wash having a smoke as i was Getting one of those 15 minute car wash and mini valets.
    Anyway a guy in a brand new 5 series Beamer wearing his suit and shades pulls in and stops before joinin the queue.
    He sat there for about 10 mins before driving up to the attendant.
    At 5 o'clock it was happy hour and you got a euro or 2 off the wash.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Left a box of stale out of date doughnuts beside the bin. Few hours later I find my housemate decided that rock hard doughnuts are to her liking after eating 7 of them. I think there is some sort of system of the best before date is actually a countdown to when I give up ownership. Explains why I never see her eat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Left a box of stale out of date doughnuts beside the bin. Few hours later I find my housemate decided that rock hard doughnuts are to her liking after eating 7 of them. I think there is some sort of system of the best before date is actually a countdown to when I give up ownership. Explains why I never see her eat.
    Is she just a stingy flatmate who you never see eat who annoyingly takes your food or is she a binge eater who is will feed her addictxion on stale food? Why on earth would anyone eat stale doughnuts? They are fcuking gross!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

XsApollo wrote: »
    I was standing out side a car wash having a smoke as i was Getting one of those 15 minute car wash and mini valets.
    Anyway a guy in a brand new 5 series Beamer wearing his suit and shades pulls in and stops before joinin the queue.
    He sat there for about 10 mins before driving up to the attendant.
    At 5 o'clock it was happy hour and you got a euro or 2 off the wash.
    €2 for ten minutes is €12 an hour

it's a little better than minimum wage

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

Shared with a guy before who was quite stingy.

He used to steal toilet paper from work when it was his turn to buy the toilet paper for the house. The paper from work was the real thin stuff, absolutely useless.
    He would never cook in the evenings, instead he would have a bag of microwave popcorn or those really cheap noodles. That would be it....
    He had lost weight but he hadn't bothered to buy himself any new clothes. (Money wasn't a problem and he had a fairly good job). His clothes were hanging off him and he didn't look smart or professional....ever.

To be honest, even thinking about him now creeps me out a little, he just looked so unhealthy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭HansHolzel

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Is she just a stingy flatmate who you never see eat who annoyingly takes your food or is she a binge eater who is will feed her addictxion on stale food? Why on earth would anyone eat stale doughnuts? They are fcuking gross!

Or is she working in law enforcement?

If My girlfirend paid €120 for a dress ans shoes, she wouldnt have enough money left to pay the weeks rent.
    How the other half live

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

If My girlfirend paid €120 for a dress ans shoes, she wouldnt have enough money left to pay the weeks rent.
    How the other half live

Why doesn't she just get more money?

gallag wrote: »
    Why doesn't she just get more money?

Yeh theres loads of jobs about willing to pay a good wage

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Yeh theres loads of jobs about willing to pay a good wage

Minimum wage job, live with parents, live like king.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 snooples17

How the other half live

Its called saving up for something.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement