Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

If My girlfirend paid €120 for a dress ans shoes, she wouldnt have enough money left to pay the weeks rent.
    How the other half live

Maybe other people are able to manage their money and save. I know that if I want something and it's expensive I'll save up for it. Absolutely nothing wrong with throwing aside 5 or 10 euro every week and then going out and treating yourself to something nice.

GAAman wrote: »
    My friends are still laughing about this.

I was in tesco's the other day and was in a horrible mood, it seemed like the universe decided to get every knob faced twat to descend on the store for a twat convention. People walking right in front of me without looking, parking in an aisle beside another trolley so as to block the whole feckin thing. The mongo's who stop beside you and basically invade your personal space so as to see what you have in your hand, as the thought you might get something they wont kills them.

But the worst, and I mean worst is the old couple. Now this couple were well dressed and had a trolley full of shopping. They were in the freezer section blocking things up as a tesco produce trolley was on the other side, I have to stand there waiting while they debate between two bags of frozen chips.

Yep frozen chips, not world peace, or the greenhouse effect, frozen bleedin chips. And what pray tell was the debate about? The chips he wanted were FOUR F*CKIN PENCE dearer than the ones she wanted. I lost it grabbed 10p from my pocket and shoved my way past slamming the 10p coin on their bag and shouted "THERE YOU GO NOW LET THE MAN HAVE HIS F*CKIN CHIPS!!"

:mad:

the last line , jesus I cannot breath

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

snooples17 wrote: »
    Its called saving up for something.....

If you're saving up to buy it, it is expensive. Or at least not cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

If My girlfirend paid €120 for a dress ans shoes, she wouldnt have enough money left to pay the weeks rent.
    How the other half live

Exactly. I don't have a job but I saved up because I have a wedding to go to.

How the other half live

Yes, how dare someone enjoy their money or spend on something nice for themselves.

As for "the other half", I'm on part-time minimum wage, but I bought a pair of shoes for €135 for last winter. And they were cheap. It was more than I was earning in a week at that stage (a.k.a. took a few months to save for), but I earned them and they were a sensible buy. I don't get why you'd imply there's any shame in paying €120 for a dress and shoes just because your girlfriend can't afford it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Yes, how dare someone enjoy their money or spend on something nice for themselves.

As for "the other half", I'm on part-time minimum wage, but I bought a pair of shoes for €135 for last winter. And they were cheap. It was more than I was earning in a week at that stage (a.k.a. took a few months to save for), but I earned them and they were a sensible buy. I don't get why you'd imply there's any shame in paying €120 for a dress and shoes just because your girlfriend can't afford it.

No, they weren't.

I bought a brand new pair of Doc Martins for €25. THEY were cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

XsApollo wrote: »
    I was standing out side a car wash having a smoke as i was Getting one of those 15 minute car wash and mini valets.
    Anyway a guy in a brand new 5 series Beamer wearing his suit and shades pulls in and stops before joinin the queue.
    He sat there for about 10 mins before driving up to the attendant.
    At 5 o'clock it was happy hour and you got a euro or 2 off the wash.
    That's not being stingy it's just using your head and taking advantage of special offers ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

€188 a week and you expect to save?

Mammy must look after you well

€188 a week and you expect to save?

Mammy must look after you well

Plenty of people on the dole are able to out away 5 or 10 euro a week. It all adds up over time and if you really want something then you should have no problem saving up over a few weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Ok, another bit of stinge.

So we moved into a new place recently enough, but it only has a small fridge. No biggy, we will manage.

Anyway, friends of wife who had recently bought a place didn't want the tall fridge that came with it (since they had their own) and that we could have it. We have plenty of room in the new place and said, sure, why not!

So I go and get the fridge and it's all hunky dory cos I basically have a place to store plenty of beer now!

A few months later, my good lady wife gets a call from the fridge donor and she goes "so, erm, we need the fridge back"

Mrs.Keith16 was all like "WTF?"

"oh" she goes, "er my brother has moved into a new place and he wants it now"

• Advertisement

keith16 wrote: »

So we moved into a new place recently enough, but it only has a small fridge. No biggy, we will manage.

Anyway, friends of wife who had recently bought a place didn't want the tall fridge that came with it (since they had their own) and that we could have it. We have plenty of room in the new place and said, sure, why not!

So I go and get the fridge and it's all hunky dory cos I basically have a place to store plenty of beer now!

A few months later, my good lady wife gets a call from the fridge donor and she goes "so, erm, we need the fridge back"

Hmmm, don't think it's particularly stingey, just bad etiquette. You said yourself you would make do with the small fridge. Rude to ask for a gift back, in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

keith16 wrote: »

Indian giver is the term ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

rawn wrote: »
    Hmmm, don't think it's particularly stingey, just bad etiquette. You said yourself you would make do with the small fridge. Rude to ask for a gift back, in any case.

Yeah, wasn't sure if it was 100% stinge or not. I was trying to qualify my post a the start by saying "a bit of stinge" :P
    worded wrote: »
    Indian giver is the term ?

Never heard that one before! In any case, they have gone down a bit in my estimation. They made it clear that we could have it and now...oh well!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Plenty of people on the dole are able to out away 5 or 10 euro a week. It all adds up over time and if you really want something then you should have no problem saving up over a few weeks

Oh I know people on the dole, Who be out on the town every Mon and Thurs night, and drinking Fri and Sat in houses.

I just dont know how they do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

Oh I know people on the dole, Who be out on the town every Mon and Thurs night, and drinking Fri and Sat in houses.

I just dont know how they do it!

€188 = 40 pints or 188 cans or any combination of the two. Food is for wimps!

No, they weren't.

I bought a brand new pair of Doc Martins for €25. THEY were cheap.

Cheap is relative. A €2 bag of crisps is expensive, because it's more than a bag of crisps is worth. Getting a €150 pair of waterproof, warm, leather boots that will last you at least 5 years (and look beautiful) for €135 is cheap. Knowing me, I'll actually probably get closer to 10 years out of them. Let's say I get them re-heeled 3 times in their life (~€30), and have to buy polish for them, that's €17 quid a year. They got through this winter completely unscathed, and that included an hour and a half walk through flooded streets one night when the darts were cancelled. So I feel like I've already gotten more than my money's worth from them.

Cheap is relative. A €2 bag of crisps is expensive, because it's more than a bag of crisps is worth. Getting a €150 pair of waterproof, warm, leather boots that will last you at least 5 years (and look beautiful) for €135 is cheap. Knowing me, I'll actually probably get closer to 10 years out of them. Let's say I get them re-heeled 3 times in their life (~€30), and have to buy polish for them, that's €17 quid a year. They got through this winter completely unscathed, and that included an hour and a half walk through flooded streets one night when the darts were cancelled. So I feel like I've already gotten more than my money's worth from them.

I actually agree with you, I just really wanted to brag about my beautiful Doc Martens. Should get a few years out of them :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Hownowcow

I actually agree with you, I just really wanted to brag about my beautiful Doc Martens. Should get a few years out of them :D

€25 for a pair of Doc Martens is really cheap. Well done. Where did you get them?

Hownowcow wrote: »
    €25 for a pair of Doc Martens is really cheap. Well done. Where did you get them?

In a charity shop in Carlow, brand new still in the box :D looked them up on the official site they're worth £150 :cool:

I buy 90% of my clothes in charity/second hand shops. New clothes are too pricey, even in Penneys, considering the bad quality of their stuff. Does that make me stingey?

I also make my razor blades last ages by running the blade up and down a strip of denim every so often to keep them sharp. The one I'm using now is about 3 months old... I'll only grudgingly buy a new one if the blade starts to look rusty ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

In a charity shop in Carlow, brand new still in the box :D looked them up on the official site they're worth £150 :cool:

I buy 90% of my clothes in charity/second hand shops. New clothes are too pricey, even in Penneys, considering the bad quality of their stuff. Does that make me stingey?

I also make my razor blades last ages by running the blade up and down a strip of denim every so often to keep them sharp. The one I'm using now is about 3 months old... I'll only grudgingly buy a new one if the blade starts to look rusty ha

Where did you find that idea?

I read somewhere that it's important to dry the blades straight after use to avoid them rusting and blunting the edge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,614 ✭✭✭Mozzeltoff

My brothers have my parents hearts broke with how stingy they are. Both are in their twenties and are working away. However they have no intentions of moving in the foreseeable future and both don't contribute to any utility bills, nothing towards food and it wouldn't even dawn on them to give my parents a few quid for rent. Wouldn't mind but both my brothers bought new cars last year! But dare ask them for a cent and you get the riot act! I have said it a few times to them about how unfair it is to my parents but they don't seem to give two particulars!

My mother was short on cash one week and asked one of my brothers could he lend her a tenner for diesel...you'd swear the way the gombeen was acting she was asking for his still beating heart! After all a tenner is the least amount of money he owes her for the last twenty something years of her feeding, clothing, educating and keeping his scrawny arse sheltered :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

No, I would say it makes you thrifty ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

We live overseas and one year had no family coming over for Christmas nor were we going home so we invited another family in the same boat over for Christmas dinner. Now we knew they were broke so we said just cover the spuds and a vegetable dish.

I like to make a bit of effort for Christmas so I'd made starters, massive free range turkey and ham, all the trimmings (stuffing, gravy, homemade cranberry sauce, crispy bacon), honey carrots (even tho they were supposed to be doing veg but they're my son's favourite) sherry trifle for the adults, gingerbread house for the kids. We also provided a bottle of champagne, numerous bottles of nice sparkling wine, and cracked into a case of wine we had got as a wedding present, had single malt whiskey and baileys for after.

I invited them for 12 to eat at 1. They arrived at 2pm when the food was going cold and I had had to put the baby to bed after feeding him from pickings, with about ten uncooked new potatoes (for 8 people) a bag of salad, a bottle of the cheapest wine and a (small) packet of pretzels. Further delay while the potatoes were cooked. Turns out they had been up half the night doing acid and were barely able to string a sentence together. They got stuck into our booze while I fetched and carried. In fairness they did the washing up (most of which I'd done while waiting for them to arrive) but then parked their arses and got stocious while their kids were entertained. My OH was raging- he loves his spuds- I went without to give him my share. Then when they were going we hadn't opened the bottle they brought so they asked if they could take it back!! Tbh I didn't want it since we were coming down with nice booze but it was the principal!! Could not believe the cheek. The funny thing is that they do this to a different family every year so they never have to make the effort themselves. They will not be invited again.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

Mozzeltoff wrote: »
    My brothers have my parents hearts broke with how stingy they are. Both are in their twenties and are working away. However they have no intentions of moving in the foreseeable future and both don't contribute to any utility bills, nothing towards food and it wouldn't even dawn on them to give my parents a few quid for rent. Wouldn't mind but both my brothers bought new cars last year! But dare ask them for a cent and you get the riot act! I have said it a few times to them about how unfair it is to my parents but they don't seem to give two particulars!

My mother was short on cash one week and asked one of my brothers could he lend her a tenner for diesel...you'd swear the way the gombeen was acting she was asking for his still beating heart! After all a tenner is the least amount of money he owes her for the last twenty something years of her feeding, clothing, educating and keeping his scrawny arse sheltered :rolleyes:

Your parents should be insisting on rent especially if they're not millionaires and like most of us can be stuck for a few quid some weeks. I'd put just as much blame for that situation on your parents for letting the two stingeballs away with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

That's my philosophy. It's not the price, exactly, of clothes and shoes. I go for quality. There's a concept called the "5 piece wardrobe" where you have a simple central wardrobe of stuff that all goes together and then you only buy 5 pieces of clothing a year. Because you buy less, you can spend more and buy something really good.
    The idea is that you buy high quality pieces that fit into your wardrobe so you can make lots of outfits and the clothes themselves last far longer than, say, a cheap Penny's knock-off.
    Overall you spend less money but you look better because all your clothes are much high quality and all match together more than just random pieces bought on impulse.
    (Although, with no job, it's more like the one piece wardrobe this year. D: )

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    We live overseas and one year had no family coming over for Christmas nor were we going home so we invited another family in the same boat over for Christmas dinner. Now we knew they were broke so we said just cover the spuds and a vegetable dish.

I like to make a bit of effort for Christmas so I'd made starters, massive free range turkey and ham, all the trimmings (stuffing, gravy, homemade cranberry sauce, crispy bacon), honey carrots (even tho they were supposed to be doing veg but they're my son's favourite) sherry trifle for the adults, gingerbread house for the kids. We also provided a bottle of champagne, numerous bottles of nice sparkling wine, and cracked into a case of wine we had got as a wedding present, had single malt whiskey and baileys for after.

I invited them for 12 to eat at 1. They arrived at 2pm when the food was going cold and I had had to put the baby to bed after feeding him from pickings, with about ten uncooked new potatoes (for 8 people) a bag of salad, a bottle of the cheapest wine and a (small) packet of pretzels. Further delay while the potatoes were cooked. Turns out they had been up half the night doing acid and were barely able to string a sentence together. They got stuck into our booze while I fetched and carried. In fairness they did the washing up (most of which I'd done while waiting for them to arrive) but then parked their arses and got stocious while their kids were entertained. My OH was raging- he loves his spuds- I went without to give him my share. Then when they were going we hadn't opened the bottle they brought so they asked if they could take it back!! Tbh I didn't want it since we were coming down with nice booze but it was the principal!! Could not believe the cheek. The funny thing is that they do this to a different family every year so they never have to make the effort themselves. They will not be invited again.

jesus christ id have given them a bill before they went out the door. miserly batsards

• Registered Users Posts: 8,614 ✭✭✭Mozzeltoff

Mocha Joe wrote: »
    Your parents should be insisting on rent especially if they're not millionaires and like most of us can be stuck for a few quid some weeks. I'd put just as much blame for that situation on your parents for letting the two stingeballs away with it.

Here I have had many an argument with the lot of them. I do realise my parents are enabling their behaviour and yes I do think that they need to cop on and start putting the hand out but part of me wants my two twits of brothers to grow a pair and move out! Seriously they are well aware of the strain they are causing and they are taking advantage of my parents but I would hope that they would have some common decency and empathy and grow up and move out. There will be tonnes more arguments down the line over this with all of them, you can be sure of it :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

retalivity wrote: »
    jesus christ id have given them a bill before they went out the door. miserly batsards

They're chronically broke due to poor management. I couldn't give a fiddlers about the money- I was fully prepared to fund their whole meal, I just thought they'd be embarrassed to show up empty handed so when they asked what to bring I thought, anyone can afford a bag of spuds. What hacked me off was that while I spent Christmas Eve busting my (metaphorical) balls cooking and decorating and trying to make things nice, they spent it getting wasted safe in the knowledge that someone else would provide Christmas for their family.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

My wife had a shower at about 8am and threw the towel in the washing machine afterwards. I had a shower around 11, and called her to bring me a towel. Opened up the bathroom door to find her rummaging around in the washine machine for the towel she had already used. Cheeky wench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,555 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

My aunt once returned a quarter bag of coal to a shop because she aid it didn't burn properly and demanded her money back they gave it to her to get rid of her.
    In her local village he goes to mass in the nursing home to avoid paying the collection that would be in the church.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement