Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Baby Shower. : (

I reckon between this & that I've already paid a small fortune for celebratory gifts & special occasion markers for the happy couple over the past two years.
    Anyway; baby due to be born in two weeks - big baby shower thrown & invitations issued followed by multiple phone calls & emails to make sure I'll be attending. Keep saying no but am being totally ignored on that & they are " insisting" I " have to be there". I'm so offended as they are " inviting" 30 people to the Shelbiyrne for afternoon tea ( 100 + euro a head & we each pay our own) & we are all being told to bring the gifts to the hotel as they have ordered a people carrier taxi to take them a home after.

I'm mostly annoyed because last year & last baby I was nagged at for not putting in enough effort & my gift not being a suitable one ( two cute baby grow outfits & a big teddy). And because after the baby is born in two or three weeks there WILL be the expectation of more gifts & more giving.

And this family don't hesitate to tell you if they think you're not giving enough. It's really shocking. : (

Can't choose your relations : (

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

I reckon between this & that I've already paid a small fortune for celebratory gifts & special occasion markers for the happy couple over the past two years.
    Anyway; baby due to be born in two weeks - big baby shower thrown & invitations issued followed by multiple phone calls & emails to make sure I'll be attending. Keep saying no but am being totally ignored on that & they are " insisting" I " have to be there". I'm so offended as they are " inviting" 30 people to the Shelbiyrne for afternoon tea ( 100 + euro a head & we each pay our own) & we are all being told to bring the gifts to the hotel as they have ordered a people carrier taxi to take them a home after.

I'm mostly annoyed because last year & last baby I was nagged at for not putting in enough effort & my gift not being a suitable one ( two cute baby grow outfits & a big teddy). And because after the baby is born in two or three weeks there WILL be the expectation of more gifts & more giving.

And this family don't hesitate to tell you if they think you're not giving enough. It's really shocking. : (

Did they arrange their own baby shower? Cringe. There's nothing worse than someone asking you for a gift IMO, they should always be optional. I hate those cutesy rhyming cards people put in with their wedding invites asking for cash, I mean obviously most people give cash but the assumption that you HAVE to give something should always be left unsaid. I feel similar about wedding lists. Just comes across as tacky IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 amorris452

I had an old flatmate who did one of the stingiest and disgusting things I've ever seen in my life. As i was gathering my stuff to leave one day she asked had i seen her half empty box of eggs in the fridge. I then had to explain that cause our fridge smelled horrendous I had cleared it out of any out of date or just plain nasty produce which was in it. Naturally her eggs which were a month (i had noticed this previously was just hoping she'd bin them so i wouldn't piss anyone off!!) out of date were the first thing to go. At this point she starts screaming at me "THEY WERE FINE!" so I hastily left the room before I laughed in her face. As i go to walk out the door I realise I left my keys in the kitchen and as I go in to retrieve them I find her elbow deep in our kitchen bin looking for the MONTH OLD eggs I had binned. I was too mortified to speak to tell her I'd thrown the stuff from the fridge straight into the outside bin or to tell her it's only a euro for a box of tesco value ones down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Eh what kind of afternoon tea are you getting in the Shelbourne for €100 a head? It's €29.95 for afternoon tea, €34.95 if you want champagne with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

tinkerbell wrote: »
    Eh what kind of afternoon tea are you getting in the Shelbourne for €100 a head? It's €29.95 for afternoon tea, €34.95 if you want champagne with it.

Interesting twist . Is that true?
    This is what I told to give to the sister organising it.
    Suffice to say I didn't go so didn't get to read the menu-card.
    : o

That makes it even worse : (

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

Mozzeltoff wrote: »
    My brothers have my parents hearts broke with how stingy they are. Both are in their twenties and are working away. However they have no intentions of moving in the foreseeable future and both don't contribute to any utility bills, nothing towards food and it wouldn't even dawn on them to give my parents a few quid for rent. Wouldn't mind but both my brothers bought new cars last year! But dare ask them for a cent and you get the riot act! I have said it a few times to them about how unfair it is to my parents but they don't seem to give two particulars!

My mother was short on cash one week and asked one of my brothers could he lend her a tenner for diesel...you'd swear the way the gombeen was acting she was asking for his still beating heart! After all a tenner is the least amount of money he owes her for the last twenty something years of her feeding, clothing, educating and keeping his scrawny arse sheltered :rolleyes:

What ages are the adult children ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

My aunt once returned a quarter bag of coal to a shop because she aid it didn't burn properly and demanded her money back they gave it to her to get rid of her.
    In her local village he goes to mass in the nursing home to avoid paying the collection that would be in the church.
    this poster is too stingy to replace their broken 's' key.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Here I have had many an argument with the lot of them. I do realise my parents are enabling their behaviour and yes I do think that they need to cop on and start putting the hand out but part of me wants my two twits of brothers to grow a pair and move out! Seriously they are well aware of the strain they are causing and they are taking advantage of my parents but I would hope that they would have some common decency and empathy and grow up and move out. There will be tonnes more arguments down the line over this with all of them, you can be sure of it :rolleyes:

Your mum needs to put a lock on the fridge, turn off the heating, and strip their beds. Want food? Pay for it. Want a hot shower? Pay for it. Want a bed? Pay for it. Don't like it? Move out. Never mind the arguments; your parents seriously need to grow a pair and stop letting these scumbags walk all over them.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

keith16 wrote: »
    Ok, another bit of stinge.

So we moved into a new place recently enough, but it only has a small fridge. No biggy, we will manage.

Anyway, friends of wife who had recently bought a place didn't want the tall fridge that came with it (since they had their own) and that we could have it. We have plenty of room in the new place and said, sure, why not!

So I go and get the fridge and it's all hunky dory cos I basically have a place to store plenty of beer now!

A few months later, my good lady wife gets a call from the fridge donor and she goes "so, erm, we need the fridge back"

Mrs.Keith16 was all like "WTF?"

"oh" she goes, "er my brother has moved into a new place and he wants it now"

That's your fridge now. Why would you let somebody take it away? If it wasn't specifically a loan, it's your property.

Also, how do people like this not cringe at their own behaviour? Weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,627 ✭✭✭bren2001

keith16 wrote: »
    Yeah, wasn't sure if it was 100% stinge or not. I was trying to qualify my post a the start by saying "a bit of stinge" :P

Never heard that one before! In any case, they have gone down a bit in my estimation. They made it clear that we could have it and now...oh well!

I wouldn't give them the fridge back. If you had not taken it it would of been disposed of. I'd be willing to lose a friend over it :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

bren2001 wrote: »
    I wouldn't give them the fridge back. If you had not taken it it would of been disposed of. I'd be willing to lose a friend over it :pac:

That's a bit stingy, thinking a fridge is worth more than a friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    Did they arrange their own baby shower? Cringe. There's nothing worse than someone asking you for a gift IMO, they should always be optional. I hate those cutesy rhyming cards people put in with their wedding invites asking for cash, I mean obviously most people give cash but the assumption that you HAVE to give something should always be left unsaid. I feel similar about wedding lists. Just comes across as tacky IMO.

Jeeeez talk about using your milestones as profit makers. ffs some people have no class. What will it be next? A shower when the baby "graduates" from nappy to potty? A big bash when he/she loses their first tooth?

tinkerbell wrote: »

The pre-parents are probably taking money for the bookings and making sixty euro on each guest, hence the hypsterical calling to make sure they go.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

bren2001 wrote: »

I would have frozen them out of my life.

(I'll get my coat)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I had new neighbours move in a few years ago. They were living in the house for about a month, and the old neighbour called back looking for €200 for the oil that was left in the oil tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Interesting twist . Is that true?
    This is what I told to give to the sister organising it.
    Suffice to say I didn't go so didn't get to read the menu-card.
    : o

That makes it even worse : (

Someone is making a few bob on the side on that one

• Registered Users Posts: 6,627 ✭✭✭bren2001

lazygal wrote: »
    That's a bit stingy, thinking a fridge is worth more than a friend.

You can always make new friends, but free fridges? They are hard to come by.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,555 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

this poster is too stingy to replace their broken 's' key.

I might be to stingy to replace my 's' but your clearly to stingy to replace your CAPS LOCK!

I might be to stingy to replace my 's' but your clearly to stingy to replace your CAPS LOCK!

oooooooooh :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭Curlysue76

My brothers have my parents hearts broke with how stingy they are. Both are in their twenties and are working away. However they have no intentions of moving in the foreseeable future and both don't contribute to any utility bills, nothing towards food and it wouldn't even dawn on them to give my parents a few quid for rent. Wouldn't mind but both my brothers bought new cars last year! But dare ask them for a cent and you get the riot act! I have said it a few times to them about how unfair it is to my parents but they don't seem to give two particulars!

My mother was short on cash one week and asked one of my brothers could he lend her a tenner for diesel...you'd swear the way the gombeen was acting she was asking for his still beating heart! After all a tenner is the least amount of money he owes her for the last twenty something years of her feeding, clothing, educating and keeping his scrawny arse sheltered :rolleyes:

That's a disgrace, they should be ashamed of themselves. She should kick them out and let them see what life costs. Maybe then they'll cop the feck on. They might actually start to appreciate your parents a little.

• Advertisement

Curlysue76 wrote: »
    That's a disgrace, they should be ashamed of themselves. She should kick them out and let them see what life costs. Maybe then they'll cop the feck on. They might actually start to appreciate your parents a little.

My brother, who still lives at home, hands up his "keep" but I imagine it just barely covers it, they're certainly not making a profit on him. When he first started handing up, he thought he was the fuucking bees knees. I was still in school, he told me he was "keeping the roof over my head" :confused: Mam soon set him straight!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Here I have had many an argument with the lot of them. I do realise my parents are enabling their behaviour and yes I do think that they need to cop on and start putting the hand out but part of me wants my two twits of brothers to grow a pair and move out! Seriously they are well aware of the strain they are causing and they are taking advantage of my parents but I would hope that they would have some common decency and empathy and grow up and move out. There will be tonnes more arguments down the line over this with all of them, you can be sure of it :rolleyes:

Wait until you find out your parents have left the house to your brothers in their will........:)

Joking aside, I have seen this happen in a remarkably similar situation!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Lucena wrote: »
    Where did you find that idea?

I read somewhere that it's important to dry the blades straight after use to avoid them rusting and blunting the edge.

I can't remember how I came across it but it was a YouTube clip. Slide the blade up the strip ten times, rotate the strip 180 degrees and repeat. Oh you're right, I forgot to mention to make sure you dry it properly as well. And I use conditioner instead of shaving foam, it's way cheaper than foam and does the job!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Curlysue76 wrote: »

Totally agree. Thats disgusting in this or any day and age. Im living with the folks at the moment but Id live on the street before Id let them refuse payment. 50 quid a week, good few chores and a free mechanic. Though with their current choice in cars I think Im the one getting roasted!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

rawn wrote: »
    I can't remember how I came across it but it was a YouTube clip. Slide the blade up the strip ten times, rotate the strip 180 degrees and repeat. Oh you're right, I forgot to mention to make sure you dry it properly as well. And I use conditioner instead of shaving foam, it's way cheaper than foam and does the job!

Conditioner? That I've got to try... it always bugs me having to buy the foam, the ones that aren't aftershave-scented (in other words, the ones for the ladies) are a total rip-off!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Shenshen wrote: »
    Conditioner? That I've got to try... it always bugs me having to buy the foam, the ones that aren't aftershave-scented (in other words, the ones for the ladies) are a total rip-off!

Just use shampoo or shower gel...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Mocha Joe wrote: »
    Your parents should be insisting on rent especially if they're not millionaires and like most of us can be stuck for a few quid some weeks. I'd put just as much blame for that situation on your parents for letting the two stingeballs away with it.

My parents had it right - and I'll do the same hopefully:

Your first ever paycheck is yours to keep and enjoy. Every one thereafter, while you're living in the family home includes something "to be handed up" for rent, food, bill.

If you've raised the kids right, you should barely have to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

bluewolf wrote: »

I used shower gel before, but that doesn't work for me, I get shaving rash just as if I hadn't used anything. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

They're chronically broke due to poor management.
    Turns out they had been up half the night doing acid and were barely able to string a sentence together.

The drugs probably don't help on the money management front either!

Seriously, your charity is commendable but did you not have any idea the type of people you were dealing with before you invited them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

rawn wrote: »
    And I use conditioner instead of shaving foam, it's way cheaper than foam and does the job!
    Shenshen wrote: »
    bluewolf wrote: »

Invest in a shaving brush and get the shaving soap sticks. Better for your face, cheaper than cans and nothing nicer than the feeling of a soapy brush on the face in the morning. ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement