Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭starling

When my aunt's neighbor died she went to her house and went through her stuff and kept the good stuff let it be jewellery/jewelry or the old ladies clothes she still wears the ladies slippers. The ladies family never got to sort through the stuff.
    My aunt is 65 and she was visiting her aunt in law recently who is in her late 80's. My aunt is healthy and fit but she saw her aunt's walking stick and took it off her and kept it.

Wearing the old lady's slippers is the only stingy part there IMO plus it's kinda gross.
    The rest of it is your aunt being a thief, if I were one of that lady's family I'd be ringing the guards. Despicable behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,555 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

starling wrote: »
    Wearing the old lady's slippers is the only stingy part there IMO plus it's kinda gross.
    The rest of it is your aunt being a thief, if I were one of that lady's family I'd be ringing the guards. Despicable behaviour.

I think they did. She is notorious for it tough. She is an awful thief. People kind of just accept it now in her home town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

If you're a student you don't buy bottled water...

I never said I did.

I was just making the point that 1 cent can be a lot to some people. And anyway, it's his 1 cent, better in his pocket than in Tesco's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

When my aunt's neighbor died she went to her house and went through her stuff and kept the good stuff let it be jewellery/jewelry or the old ladies clothes she still wears the ladies slippers. The ladies family never got to sort through the stuff.
    My aunt is 65 and she was visiting her aunt in law recently who is in her late 80's. My aunt is healthy and fit but she saw her aunt's walking stick and took it off her and kept it.

I'd tell the relatives of the neighbour. What she did is theft. The wagon.

MJ23 wrote: »
    I'd tell the relatives of the neighbour. What she did is theft. The wagon.

They know!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Lucena wrote: »
    Actually I think most males would find it cringe-worthy.
    Speak for yourself!
    Custard-blooded males.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Posts making fun of a thread in Personal Issues deleted. Apply a bit of common sense in future please.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,387 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

im a sucker for going to the concessions turn stile at gaa matches and getting a refund back or getting in as a student

Does that make me stingy lol.

Its handy say you pay 25 for a ticket online, you get the 10 euro back and that can pay for Food/drink etc

Pity the IRFU or FAI dont do the same thing where you can get a concession for being a student cause Rugby tickets are so expensive compared to GAA

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

PTH2009 wrote: »
    im a sucker for going to the concessions turn stile at gaa matches and getting a refund back or getting in as a student

Its handy say you pay 25 for a ticket online, you get the 10 euro back and that can pay for Food/drink etc

Pity the IRFU or FAI dont do the same thing where you can get a concession for being a student cause Rugby tickets are so expensive compared to GAA

Not stingy at all...if the concession is there take advantage of it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

PTH2009 wrote: »

There's a big difference between trying to legitimately get stuff for cheap (avoiding Rip off Ireland) and being stingy (where don't pay your way/abuse generosity of others).
    What you're doing is grand, you're just avoiding high prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 IvaBigWun2

Wow.

Is this the most replied to thread on AH?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

IvaBigWun2 wrote: »
    Wow.

Is this the most replied to thread on AH?

Think the Boston marathon thread hit 10,000, and it was third of all time.

Open to correction

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

all the liverpool superthreads.

thay are pretty stingy with common sense and not overreacting...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Think the Boston marathon thread hit 10,000, and it was third of all time.

Open to correction

All threads are closed when they get to in or around 10k posts so you won't find any with more than that.

• Site Banned Posts: 87 ✭✭F35

Seen a mod close a thread with only 9999 posts.

...Stingy B*st*rd

• Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Live with three others. One of them has their significant other over every week, Monday till Friday. Lovely person, we get on fine. Since we moved into this house they've been over every week, and not once has put their hand in their pocket for electricity or anything. I'm not expecting to cut them in for an even slice of the bill, but when you're here 5/7 days, the least you can do is hand over a tenner or so for the electric. Add to that they probably use more than the rest of us!

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    Live with three others. One of them has their significant other over every week, Monday till Friday. Lovely person, we get on fine. Since we moved into this house they've been over every week, and not once has put their hand in their pocket for electricity or anything. I'm not expecting to cut them in for an even slice of the bill, but when you're here 5/7 days, the least you can do is hand over a tenner or so for the electric. Add to that they probably use more than the rest of us!

I think the issue here is the person doesn't relies there is a problem. They probably feel there other half is paying the rent/bills and that enough. It mightn't have even crossed their minds to be honest. If you wanted you could try and bring it up with them but they could get offended and things might become awkward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

The drugs probably don't help on the money management front either!

Seriously, your charity is commendable but did you not have any idea the type of people you were dealing with before you invited them?

That was the first time I really realised how low they could go. We invited them as a last minute thing when we realised that they had no cash and nowhere else to go. The following year I copped that they had basically done the exact same thing to another family that year and thinking back saw the pattern emerging. The crazy thing is that they will talk about it as a funny story- 'wasn't it mad that Christmas we were so out of our faces we couldn't see straight'. Shameless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I have one that I have to share.

I bought my dad one if those new big " blocks" of chocolate from Butlers as part of his birthday present - they're about a tenner & about a foot and a half square & covered in nuts, wrapped in clear cellophane so you can see the nuts & fancy decorations from outside. Yum.

Anyway, I was minding it in the fridge during the heat wave before I gave it to him . Didn't take much notice except when I gave if to him he commented later in joke on whether I had been " at it !!!" I said no - of course!!! & thought it was because the wrapping was see thru with no box & unconventionally wrapped in clear plastic with just a fancy sticker on the back.

Few days ago my excruciatingly mean flatmate ( big issues!) came down from her room & said do you remember the chocolate you had in the fridge, I thought you would like some of it back ... And handed me about six inches of it. I was a bit slow & she had disappeared back upstairs to her cave before I realised that she had (yet again) helped herself - but this time it was to my dads present - & I hadn't noticed. :0

Now my dad thinks I'm a stinge.
    & I am in TOTAL shock. Who would do such a thing, present or not.
    ????

( had no choice but to eat the evidence!
    Feck though ; ( That's painfully mean , even thou she repented & " gave it back"
    What could I do.? Said nothing but nnnnggghHhMHhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Get some more chocolate & lace it with laxatives & leave it in fridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭RED PASSION

€2 for ten minutes is €12 an hour

it's a little better than minimum wage

He got €2 off the wash not the wash was €2, so he is getting a lot better than minimum wage

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Ted_YNWA wrote: »

I think there's a fortune in it for the person who invents spray on laxative !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

My dad deliberating over the phone for about 20 mins about whether he wants to pay €3 extra a month to upgrade to digital with his current service provider.
    Even called me ma in to consult.
    I wouldn't mind, but it wasn't a cold call and it was him who got onto them in the first place complaining that one channel's reception was bad.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

He got €2 off the wash not the wash was €2, so he is getting a lot better than minimum wage
    €2 for ten minutes is €12 per hour
    Minimum wage is €8.65 an hour but you get holidays, breaks and PRSI stamps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 GreenGables

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    I hate mean people.

The really, really mean kind who always missed their round even before the R word was mentioned. The kind who always sit on their hands when the charity box went around the office.

My favourite was a friend of a friends Dad who had two TVs on top of each other. Because one had no sound and the other had no picture :pac:

So whats the worst you've ever heard?

An old boyfriend of mine got me socks for Christmas one year from where he worked. He was Irish-Canadian. :)

Ted_YNWA wrote: »

Just mix in a whole lot of coconut. Coconut is a natural laxative. :)

An old boyfriend of mine got me socks for Christmas one year from where he worked. He was Irish-Canadian. :)

Socks, jaysus. They really are the one gift that says "I put exactly 6 seconds thought into getting you something."

Socks do not count as a present unless they're cashmere. Everyone should know that.

Socks, jaysus. They really are the one gift that says "I put exactly 6 seconds thought into getting you something."

Socks do not count as a present unless they're cashmere. Everyone should know that.

They were a cotton/polyester blend.

They were a cotton/polyester blend.

Uuurgh the stingy b@stard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

Could be worse.

Could be a Donation made in your Name to Bothar

Nothing says **** you more thant "I'd rather buy some starving Africans a goat than buy you a pair of socks."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement