Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Was camping at a music festival recently.
    One of my mates was staying in one tent with his girlfriend but she wasn't coming down until the next day.
    We had two of the gang go down early and claim us a spot and set up all of the tents.
    Stingy mate comes down to his already set up tent and he has a double air-mattress with him for him and the GF. He only pumped up his half of it, leaving the other half deflated for her to pump up once she arrived the next day! All this after someone else having set-up the tent for the pair of them!

That's not stingey, it's bone-arse lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Was camping at a music festival recently.
    One of my mates was staying in one tent with his girlfriend but she wasn't coming down until the next day.
    We had two of the gang go down early and claim us a spot and set up all of the tents.
    Stingy mate comes down to his already set up tent and he has a double air-mattress with him for him and the GF. He only pumped up his half of it, leaving the other half deflated for her to pump up once she arrived the next day! All this after someone else having set-up the tent for the pair of them!

Thats mean lol :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,179 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Honey-ec wrote: »

it fúcking hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

that's how to become single in a jiffy!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭Alkers

Stinginess with effort as opposed to money!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭starling

Loads of people do this. :confused:

Wash with cold water? For a week? Who does that? Travellers?
    Immersion is really expensive.
    I know, didn't you read my post? Incidentally my mother buys fancy gold patterned toilet paper in Marks & Spencer and has body lotion with "actual gold" in it. She could afford to wash herself in warm water if she wanted to.

Ye're doing it wrong.

No, she's doing it wrong. You're more than welcome to come round and tell her that. I'll bring popcorn:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭DjangoMc

Every once in a while in work we decided we'll get chipper for lunch. So we send around a piece of paper and every writes what they want. One guys always puts down for loads of stuff, until he realises we're all paying for ourselves and immediately takes his stuff of the list. He only wants something when he thinks he is getting it free.
    Also, when we decide to do stuff after work (pitch & put and stuff like that) he never goes to the activate part of it but ALWAYS turns up to the pub after it and gets his free pint and f's off afterwards. He goes mad when we're in groups and we all do round in each group and he tries to get into each group so he never has to pay for his drink.

A-hole of the highest degree!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

starling wrote: »
    Wash with cold water? For a week? Who does that? Travellers?

Sigh. No, washing up.
    starling wrote: »
    No, she's doing it wrong. You're more than welcome to come round and tell her that. I'll bring popcorn:pac:

She is indeed. But I live in a household where people are able to wash up properly with kettle-boiled water, so I'm grand thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,220 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Loads of people do this. :confused:

Immersion is really expensive.

My immersion has been broken for a few weeks so I've been having cold showers (waiting for the landlord to fix). It's not too bad because of the warn weather. And it means I boil the kettle for the dishes. But it's not stinginess. It's necessity. I'd love a hot shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

It'd be a lot easier to lace food with hot sauce or chillies and wait til you see someone coughing and spluttering and red faced, instead of y'know, trying to kill them and have to watch for bloody poop.

I think fresh chilli pepper juice on the cooked food will do the trick.
    Careful to wear gloves when preparing the liquidized chilli juice and wash your hands before going to the toilet and dont touch your eyes either !

It can be put on a knife and used to cut a portion of the food.
    I did this once and it worked a treat.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

I finally got around to reactivating my Boards account.

Cheers all for the contributions to this :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,955 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    I finally got around to reactivating my Boards account.

Cheers all for the contributions to this :pac:

Seriously Thanks whoring is not cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

On the whole kettle boiling for dishes debate, it's more ecological, uses less water, do it myself.

Being stingy with my harming of Mother Nature *bleugh*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

spacetweek wrote: »
    Are you serious? I only ever wash my face with cold water.

I only ever wash my face in a ditch on the side of the road.
    I'm old school.

Ha guy in my job was at it again yesterday.
    It was one of the lad's birthday's yesterday and some of us arranged to go out for lunch. He walked over to the lad whose birthday it was and asked "are upstairs paying for this lunch?" he was told no, and then said "well I'm not going then".
    How bloody stingy is that?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

DjangoMc wrote: »
    Ha guy in my job was at it again yesterday.
    It was one of the lad's birthday's yesterday and some of us arranged to go out for lunch. He walked over to the lad whose birthday it was and asked "are upstairs paying for this lunch?" he was told no, and then said "well I'm not going then".
    How bloody stingy is that?!
    Maybe he didn't have the money.

jca wrote: »
    Maybe he didn't have the money.

Oh no, this guy is loaded!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Why should he pay for someone elses birthday if he doesn't want to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

That's probably why he is loaded...Frugal with the monies.

No we were not asking him to pay for anyone else. We where just going out for lunch and he wanted to know was management paying for everyone to go and when we said they where not he wouldn't go coz it meant paying for his own lunch.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

People who are rich but won't spend money, especially when it's in honor of someone else, are defo stingy!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 Mr Heavy

spacetweek wrote: »
    People who are rich but won't spend money, especially when it's in honor of someone else, are defo stingy!

Primo example dude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

In my circle of friends, there is one girl who is a complete and utter stingebag. None of us really like her but she grew up close with one of our friends Elaine who feels sorry for her and always brings her along out of sympathy. For years now it's been the same carry on- she has a good well paying job but she will skip rounds or just sit there drinking pints of tap water, only to order 1 proper pint at the end of the night. One new years eve at a party, she arrived with a bottle of coke, drank 1 glass of it and then proceeded to lash into my cans of Bud. When I pulled her on it, she apologised and said that she hadn't thought that she would be in the mood for drinking. Feeling sorry for her, I relented and told her to work away. Which was fine until midnight, when she opened her handbag and pulled out a naggin of vodka, poured herself a glass of it and then put it straight back in her bag for fear that anyone else might drink it on her :mad:

Worst thing she ever did though was to Elaine, the girl who had known and suffered her since childhood. The stingebag had no car so Elaine always ended up ferrying her everywhere. Every time we went out, stingy would get collected and dropped home, even though her house was at the other side of town to Elaine's. And if Elaine happened to be drinking (ie not driving home), stingy would rather walk 4 miles home in the rain at 2am than get a taxi. So anyway, the time comes when stingy gets a job in Dublin and has to buy a car so that she can drive up and down home to Clare at the weekends. Yet she would STILL expect Elaine to pick her up/drop her home on a night out. Anyway, Elaine had been away on holiday and her flight was delayed coming back. She had an awful time of it, had spent 36 hours sitting in an airport in Germany exhausted and broke. She knew that she would have missed her connecting flight from Dublin airport to Shannon and had no money for the train or bus to get back down. Her flight was due in to Dublin at 3pm on a Friday and she knew that the stinge would be heading back to Clare for the weekend so she rang her, explaining that she was really stuck and would the stinge mind collecting her at the airport and giving her a lift down home. To which the stinge replied she couldn't because she had planned on leaving Dublin at 2pm and she wasn't willing to wait around for another hour (even though she wasn't in any particular hurry) and also seeing as Elaine had no money, how would she expect to pay for the toll and her share of the petrol :eek: She had the cheek to leave her only true friend stranded 200 miles from home for the sake of an hour and a few euro :mad: Rest assured, she hasn't set foot in Elaine's car since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

In my circle of friends, there is one girl who is a complete and utter stingebag. None of us really like her but she grew up close with one of our friends Elaine who feels sorry for her and always brings her along out of sympathy. For years now it's been the same carry on- she has a good well paying job but she will skip rounds or just sit there drinking pints of tap water, only to order 1 proper pint at the end of the night. One new years eve at a party, she arrived with a bottle of coke, drank 1 glass of it and then proceeded to lash into my cans of Bud. When I pulled her on it, she apologised and said that she hadn't thought that she would be in the mood for drinking. Feeling sorry for her, I relented and told her to work away. Which was fine until midnight, when she opened her handbag and pulled out a naggin of vodka, poured herself a glass of it and then put it straight back in her bag for fear that anyone else might drink it on her :mad:

Worst thing she ever did though was to Elaine, the girl who had known and suffered her since childhood. The stingebag had no car so Elaine always ended up ferrying her everywhere. Every time we went out, stingy would get collected and dropped home, even though her house was at the other side of town to Elaine's. And if Elaine happened to be drinking (ie not driving home), stingy would rather walk 4 miles home in the rain at 2am than get a taxi. So anyway, the time comes when stingy gets a job in Dublin and has to buy a car so that she can drive up and down home to Clare at the weekends. Yet she would STILL expect Elaine to pick her up/drop her home on a night out. Anyway, Elaine had been away on holiday and her flight was delayed coming back. She had an awful time of it, had spent 36 hours sitting in an airport in Germany exhausted and broke. She knew that she would have missed her connecting flight from Dublin airport to Shannon and had no money for the train or bus to get back down. Her flight was due in to Dublin at 3pm on a Friday and she knew that the stinge would be heading back to Clare for the weekend so she rang her, explaining that she was really stuck and would the stinge mind collecting her at the airport and giving her a lift down home. To which the stinge replied she couldn't because she had planned on leaving Dublin at 2pm and she wasn't willing to wait around for another hour (even though she wasn't in any particular hurry) and also seeing as Elaine had no money, how would she expect to pay for the toll and her share of the petrol :eek: She had the cheek to leave her only true friend stranded 200 miles from home for the sake of an hour and a few euro :mad: Rest assured, she hasn't set foot in Elaine's car since.

Jesus that's shocking behaviour!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Elaine is a total doormat.

Elaine is a total doormat.

Well, if she hasn't set foot in Elaine's car since, then not really, I'm guessing there were words.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

^^^^
    As a side note to that story, I really hate the only-drinking-pints-of-tap-water thing. You're in a bar, availing of their services (seats, tables, glasses, electricity, music, TVs, staff, etc) and taking up a space - pay for it!!! I'm a non-drinker, but I'll always buy soft drinks in a bar and I end up feeling awkward when I'm with someone who keeps ordering tap water. Don't use the service if you can't be bothered forking out for it - let a paying customer have the space!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Well, if she hasn't set foot in Elaine's car since, then not really, I'm guessing there were words.

Elaine was a very good natured person, who had a much higher tolerance level but eventually this was too much for stinge!

Delighted

efb wrote: »
    Elaine was a very good natured person, who had a much higher tolerance level but eventually this was too much for stinge!

Delighted

Glad to hear it! Did Elaine confront Stinge or the other way round?

Are any of ye in contact with Stinge now?

• Advertisement

^^^^
    As a side note to that story, I really hate the only-drinking-pints-of-tap-water thing. You're in a bar, availing of their services (seats, tables, glasses, electricity, music, TVs, staff, etc) and taking up a space - pay for it!!! I'm a non-drinker, but I'll always buy soft drinks in a bar and I end up feeling awkward when I'm with someone who keeps ordering tap water. Don't use the service if you can't be bothered forking out for it - let a paying customer have the space!

Yeah, I've no problem getting glasses of water inbetween drinks I pay for, just to not get too drunk, but not buying anything is terrible.

One of my BF's friends is 31 and still sneaks a naggin into pubs. Every time! Only buys mixers and hates even having to do that. As well as being stingy, he can't relax and enjoy his night. I did the sneaky naggin thing the odd time in college, but it is really cringy for a well-paid 30-something to still be at that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement