Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭HansHolzel

Cd_doe wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what is a good amount to give as a gift for a wedding?

Not going off topic - am wondering what is stingy, what is ok and what is generous...

I was speaking to a lad one day who was complaining that he "didn't make much" from his wedding

€100 per head is the norm in this part of the country (deep south).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

HansHolzel wrote: »
    Pique and rawn: there's a meeting of stingy minds there if there ever was one.

How so? Expecting your guests to foot the bill for your special day is the height of stinge. Imagine throwing a lavish birthday party for yourself and expecting each guest to pay for it. Not just pay for it, but pay extra so you can enjoy a holiday afterwards! I have no problem buying the bride and groom a lavish present, but I shouldn't be obliged to write them a fat cheque.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭HansHolzel

Look, in the wise words of the postman, "A wedding invitation is worse than a f&8!ing summons", but, unlike you and your comrade, I still don't begrudge the bride and groom €100 a head and anyone who bitterly resents coughing up shouldn't be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

Just watched someone dig through 2 weeks worth of wet Rubbish over a 6 Euro eFlow fine - to find the receipt that proved the toll had been paid.

....yuk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Dartz wrote: »
    Just watched someone dig through 2 weeks worth of wet Rubbish over a 6 Euro eFlow fine - to find the receipt that proved the toll had been paid.

....yuk.

Prob more to do with the fact that they charge almost €50 per journey through the toll if they claim you haven't paid the fine or the first notice which never arrives.

I've had this happen 3 times to me in the last 2 years. I go through the toll bridge and make a return so it costs me €6. I pay before 8 the next day. Usually paid on that day. About 6 weeks later I get a "2nd Notice" stating I didn't pay the toll nor the late charge. I never get a first notice. I don't throw my receipt out tho. Usually put them in the ash tray as I had heard about this carry on before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

partake in their big day and get a nice meal out of it.

Weddings cost a lot for guests to attend even before the gift, I don't know why you'd go to the bother just to get a "free" bogstandard wedding meal. Can't believe people think wedding guests have this mentality. You'll pay for that meal a few times over in attending the thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭starling

Weddings cost a lot for guests to attend even before the gift, I don't know why you'd go to the bother just to get a "free" bogstandard wedding meal. Can't believe people think wedding guests have this mentality. You'll pay for that meal a few times over in attending the thing!

I went to a friends hen do which was a meal and then on to a nightclub. I'm a vegetarian so I ordered the only vegetarian main, which was pasta in a tomato sauce. I don't drink either so I had a glass of 7up. Everyone else was eating steak and drinking fancy cocktails. That meal cost me €70. And that was just the f**kin hen party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭DjangoMc

Pique wrote: »
    So you go and pay for your meal ? That's the point of a wedding invitation now is it, to make up the numbers and ensure the bride and groom aren't too awfully inconvenienced by the financial aspect of it?
    Bollocks. If you want to invite people, make sure you can pay for them. They're not obliged to hand over a cheque to cover the cost of the plates.
    The fact is, at a wedding of 150+, the couple will probably spend no significant time with anyone but their closest friends and family. The rest is generally for show and inconsequential to them apart from maybe being able to say they had a huge wedding or to reciprocate inviting Mary ad Mick who invited your parents to their daughters wedding.
    Besides, a cheque will disappear into the hole of a bank account and will only be recorded in a notebook somewhere. A nice gift Even if it's something cheap but thoughtful) is something that can be related to the guest in 5, 10 or 20 years down the line and bring back memories of the day.

Which would you rather?

I recently got married...We preferred cash, only because we had everything we needed (pots, pans, knifes, etc EVERYTHING) But we still got a few gifts and they are fab!
    The whole Inviting loads is still going on. My older brother is only getting married coz he is flat broke and they are inviting loads, supposedly over 200 (i'm strictly not invited coz I got married before him)

I would have been happy with a card! I just wanted people I loved there. But doing the opposite to what the brides & groom asked...stingy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

DjangoMc wrote: »
    I recently got married...We preferred cash, only because we had everything we needed (pots, pans, knifes, etc EVERYTHING) But we still got a few gifts and they are fab!
    The whole Inviting loads is still going on. My older brother is only getting married coz he is flat broke and they are inviting loads, supposedly over 200 (i'm strictly not invited coz I got married before him)

I would have been happy with a card! I just wanted people I loved there. But doing the opposite to what the brides & groom asked...stingy!

The fudge??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

(i'm strictly not invited coz I got married before him)

This......is particularly mad, no?!?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

starling wrote: »
    I went to a friends hen do which was a meal and then on to a nightclub. I'm a vegetarian so I ordered the only vegetarian main, which was pasta in a tomato sauce. I don't drink either so I had a glass of 7up. Everyone else was eating steak and drinking fancy cocktails. That meal cost me €70. And that was just the f**kin hen party.

That is just so so wrong.

Why did you have to pay E70?

maguic24 wrote: »
    The fudge??
    lazygal wrote: »
    This......is particularly mad, no?!?!

Yeah he is a bit touched really! His wife to be is a very jealous person and stingy to boot. Stingy McStingerson should be their name.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Yeah he is a bit touched really! His wife to be is a very jealous person and stingy to boot. Stingy McStingerson should be their name.

I kind of thought family were first on the guest list, well close family like siblings/parents anyway, unless there was a good reason not to ask them. Who cares who got married when anyway? You might be better off out of this one.

Exactly....so I'm going on my honeymoon and they get married while we're on that.
    But not to get off topic...they are only getting married to get money! They will only do something for someone if they are getting something out of it.

Very stingy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Exactly....so I'm going on my honeymoon and they get married while we're on that.
    But not to get off topic...they are only getting married to get money! They will only do something for someone if they are getting something out of it.

Very stingy!

I hope everyone turns up and nobody gives them anything :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I had my wedding at the end of April. It was a small wedding (about 30 people) and that was enough for me to do the rounds and make sure our closest friends and family were good. We all had a good time and the laughing never stopped.
    That for me is worth more than a 100e note which then gets pissed away on pure horse ****.
    Yes we made some money out of the wedding (its obvious) and that money was stuck straight into a savings account.
    Luckily I know how hard it is to earn that money so the last thing I want to do is spend it on ****e I don't need so I'd rather put it away in the case we will be stuck in the future.
    For someone to get married just to make a profit isn't going to have a happy married life I think... it's sad really.

bear1, agree with everything you said. Its about sharing a great day with great people. Now we had 110 people, but I have a HUGE family. But we did what we wanted, we invited who we wanted to be there. I won't lie, we made some money to, but some of that is going to putting younger bro through college next month.

But your last line sums it up entirely!

Stingy people are just horrible people.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭jaxdasher

My mate told me about this one guy. She was was waiting in line at her local pizza place and this fella just got his pizza. He then asked the person at the till if he pays the delivery charge, would the delivery person drive him home. Needless to say he was laughed out of the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Knew a guy whose wallet always looked empty but if he wanted to buy something for himself whatever way he used his fingers to root in the pockets of the wallet a twenty spot would always appear.
    He wouldn't spend Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Probably the opposite of stingy but it is one of the most lazy things I have seen. Instead of doing the dishes my housemate put them in the bin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,627 ✭✭✭bren2001

Probably the opposite of stingy but it is one of the most lazy things I have seen. Instead of doing the dishes my housemate put them in the bin.

Over the course of a year, is buying a dishwasher not cheaper (I know you still have to run the thing)....

but some of that is going to putting younger bro through college next month

Very honorable thing you are doing there DjangoMc.

You get married not for the money but to start your new life as lets say a grown man. Go make your own money, buy your own house, buy your own car and do the same things our parents did.
    So if someone said to me that they are looking at making a profit I too would either get them something useful or return the money that it cost to provide the meal.

jaxdasher wrote: »
    My mate told me about this one guy. She was was waiting in line at her local pizza place and this fella just got his pizza. He then asked the person at the till if he pays the delivery charge, would the delivery person drive him home. Needless to say he was laughed out of the shop.

That's not stingy, just lazy. Well, I suppose it is stingy, cheaper than a taxi. :)

Instead of doing the dishes my housemate put them in the bin

I'm curious... who has to pay to replace the dishes?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭Corvo Attano

Instead of doing the dishes my housemate put them in the bin.

This has to end up being mad expensive unless he has a way of getting new ones for free.

This has to end up being mad expensive unless he has a way of getting new ones for free.

Sounds like a right bloody spanner... surely a word with him/her would be in order? along the lines of WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Clip around the ear more like. What kind of carry on is that?

Out the feckin door me thinks... seriously weird disorder this lad must have.
    On a side note, a few friends of mine had a place next to UL when they were there and let some lad stay with them for a while... hed lick his plate after he was finished and put it back in the cupboard :eek:

bear1 wrote: »
    hed lick his plate after he was finished and put it back in the cupboard :eek:

Thats just... eeewwwww.

• Advertisement

bear1 wrote: »
    I'm curious... who has to pay to replace the dishes?

Yeah, this most certainly doesn't belong in this thread, as it's the opposite of stingy, it's positively spendthrift! :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement