Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Hey Hey come on!! They made me wash them afterwards!! :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Wow really, you can't see the irony in your post? chances are with them already living together they have all the homeware they possibly need. God I hate people like you who give a gift to spite a couple even though your happy to go and partake in their big day and get a nice meal out of it.
    What on earth are you talking about? Weddings aren't cash grabs. The couple should not be given money to cover the cost of their ceremony.
    When I go to a wedding I expect to be wined and dined, when I eventually get married I will do the same for everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭starling

That is just so so wrong.

Why did you have to pay E70?

Well, she was my best mate from school, but there were a lot of people there from her work and ex-flatmates etc who I didn't know. So when the maid of honour snatched the bill away from her and said "No, you're the bride, you dont pay" everyone agreed (including me of course) but then she just divided the bill up equally between everyone. She probably hadn't noticed that I ws only eating pasta and drinking 7up. Maybe if it had only been friends I knew I might have said "Er, excuse me...." but I didn't want to say anything in front of all these other people because I didn't want to cause a fuss.

Stupid i know, but my main objective was for her to have a nice time, and i didn't want to have any awkwardness. Also I was afraid that these people might judge me as being stingy. To be honest I felt a bit shy around them from the start, a combination of my own mild social anxiety and the fact that at the meal itself I was sat between two other girls from school, so I didn't really get talking to any of them which would have given us a chance to break the ice as it were. Basically at the end of the meal I knew them about as well as I did at the start, that is, not at all.

But what I did know is that they all had better jobs than me and I got the impression the cost of this meal was not something that was going to put any significant dent in their finances. I was happy with my job but I knew that other people might think "she's a slacker" and at the time I was still young enough to give a sh1t what people thought (not any more:))

So even though I'd like to say the only reason I didn't speak up was out of concern for my friend's enjoyment of the night I would have to be honest and say it was mostly my own issues. I had this weird feeling like it might embarrass her.

@Starling: I guess your situation is a bit difficult as I wouldn't know either how to react. Would be rightly pissed off though

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

bear1 wrote: »
    @Starling: I guess your situation is a bit difficult as I wouldn't know either how to react. Would be rightly pissed off though

Likewise. It would have been fairer to divide the bill by who ate what, and just add the extra bit for the bride's meal; like if her meal was €50 and there were ten guests they'd each have paid an extra fiver on top of whatever their own meal cost.

• Advertisement

You'd think some people would have the cop on to realise who ate what.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

You'd think some people would have the cop on to realise who ate what.

You'd think some people knew what they were doing and saw an oppurtunity to pay less than what they actually had

You'd think people knew what they were doing and saw an oppurtunity to pay less than what they actually had

Very true

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭connollys

so go through the whole thing with a calculator and see what everyone ate and drank, please, c'mon, you did the right thing just agreeing to divee up equally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

starling wrote: »
    Well, she was my best mate from school, but there were a lot of people there from her work and ex-flatmates etc who I didn't know. So when the maid of honour snatched the bill away from her and said "No, you're the bride, you dont pay" everyone agreed (including me of course) but then she just divided the bill up equally between everyone. She probably hadn't noticed that I ws only eating pasta and drinking 7up. Maybe if it had only been friends I knew I might have said "Er, excuse me...." but I didn't want to say anything in front of all these other people because I didn't want to cause a fuss.

Stupid i know, but my main objective was for her to have a nice time, and i didn't want to have any awkwardness. Also I was afraid that these people might judge me as being stingy. To be honest I felt a bit shy around them from the start, a combination of my own mild social anxiety and the fact that at the meal itself I was sat between two other girls from school, so I didn't really get talking to any of them which would have given us a chance to break the ice as it were. Basically at the end of the meal I knew them about as well as I did at the start, that is, not at all.

But what I did know is that they all had better jobs than me and I got the impression the cost of this meal was not something that was going to put any significant dent in their finances. I was happy with my job but I knew that other people might think "she's a slacker" and at the time I was still young enough to give a sh1t what people thought (not any more:))

So even though I'd like to say the only reason I didn't speak up was out of concern for my friend's enjoyment of the night I would have to be honest and say it was mostly my own issues. I had this weird feeling like it might embarrass her.

That would annoy me. Wanna throw your money at others, fine but dont throw mine :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    That would annoy me. Wanna throw your money at others, fine but dont throw mine :o

That wouldn't annoy me at all; brides generally have enough expense with upcoming wedding that I wouldn't mind standing her a dinner; in fact I'd assume from the start of a hen night that the bride wouldn't be expected to pay for her own meal. It's the assumption that someone who had a bowl of spaghetti should offset the cost of your filet mignon that would piss me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

I don't think anyone was particularly stingy here. It's pretty standard and a lot less hassle to split bills evenly in these situations. I was at a friends hen type meal (yes I have a penis) and the bridesmaid did a very sensible thing and asked for a separate drinks bill. So the meal was divided evenly minus the bride but if people weren't drinking or at least not going mad you weren't covering that. And with the meals it evens out I think and you're only up or down a coupe of euro, unless everyone gets steak but you but the drinks can be a killer if you're not drinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

OldNotWIse wrote: »

Dividing up the cost of the brides meal on her hen-night is hardly 'throwing your money at others'.

kylith wrote: »
    That wouldn't annoy me at all; brides generally have enough expense with upcoming wedding that I wouldn't mind standing her a dinner; in fact I'd assume from the start of a hen night that the bride wouldn't be expected to pay for her own meal. It's the assumption that someone who had a bowl of spaghetti should offset the cost of your filet mignon that would piss me off.

Assumption or not, I would resent someone offering to pay for something on my behalf.

Pj! wrote: »
    Dividing up the cost of the brides meal on her hen-night is hardly 'throwing your money at others'.

Well she's gonna rake it in at the wedding isnt she? Just joking.
    Your right, I'm just very grumpy about weddings in general at the mo, best mate getting married and no invitation for me (or anyone else for that matter) :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

I would have told her to sod off that I'm not paying 70 euro for a f*cking pasta & a 7up.....

We don't all have 70 euro to throw away like that, don't care if there was people there or not....

Also volunteering other peoples money is not on in my books. It's your choice to get married, it doesn't mean you're entitled to a free meal!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

starling wrote: »

It would seem to me very rude protocol not to have a separate bill for the non drinkers.

Same with rounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Pj! wrote: »

It would be nice if she had said it to them earlier, rather than just announcing that everyone else was going to cover the cost of the brides dinner. As others have said, getting a wedding invite is worse than a summons.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

Don't believe this has been posted yet:

Woman in Dublin spends an hour ripping off flowers from a public flower box, presumably to resell later on. Garda were repeatedly phoned but nobody showed.

Stingy or scummy?:mad:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Little bit of column A, hell of a lot of column B.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Tazzer

jaxdasher wrote: »
    My mate told me about this one guy. She was was waiting in line at her local pizza place and this fella just got his pizza. He then asked the person at the till if he pays the delivery charge, would the delivery person drive him home. Needless to say he was laughed out of the shop.

I have done this too.....only put in 2 slightly inebriated 23 year olds, a Chinese Take away and the soundest delivery driver...we did give him a tip though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

jaxdasher wrote: »
    My mate told me about this one guy. She was was waiting in line at her local pizza place and this fella just got his pizza. He then asked the person at the till if he pays the delivery charge, would the delivery person drive him home. Needless to say he was laughed out of the shop.

Was this guy a contortionist ?

How the hell did he expext to fit into the box on the back of a moped ?

NothingMan wrote: »
    I don't think anyone was particularly stingy here. It's pretty standard and a lot less hassle to split bills evenly in these situations. I was at a friends hen type meal (yes I have a penis) and the bridesmaid did a very sensible thing and asked for a separate drinks bill. So the meal was divided evenly minus the bride but if people weren't drinking or at least not going mad you weren't covering that. And with the meals it evens out I think and you're only up or down a coupe of euro, unless everyone gets steak but you but the drinks can be a killer if you're not drinking.

I don't think stinginess was the driving factor more just failure to notice. I only mentioned it because of the preceding discussion of weddings and how, as another poster pointed out, it actually costs people a fair bit to attend a wedding so they're not usually doing it to get a "free" meal. My story was meant to illustrate that yes it can be expensive even before you get to the actual wedding. I mean most people would spend a bit on their clothes, hair, transport, in this case there was a night in a hotel etc etc.

Having said all that: are you seriously telling me that if you went into a restaurant and ordered a €12 pasta dish and a 7up, you wouldn't mind paying €70 for it?
    syklops wrote: »
    It would be nice if she had said it to them earlier, rather than just announcing that everyone else was going to cover the cost of the brides dinner. As others have said, getting a wedding invite is worse than a summons.

Tbh that was the first time i was involved in a hen do, the friends I had who got married before that were blokes, I assumed that covering the bride's meal was par for the course. No idea if that's true cause now that I think about it that's the only time i've been on the bride's side of the church :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I'm curious... who has to pay to replace the dishes?

I should clarify, they weren't really put in the bin, there wasnt any room for them, they were put on top of the wheely bin at the footpath as it was bin day. Luckily they come early in the morning so I managed to collect them and let the landlord know as I was moving out that day so couldnt keep an eye on her crazy.
    Sounds like a right bloody spanner... surely a word with him/her would be in order? along the lines of WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I have mentioned her in previous posts so she was on thin ice already, the landlord wasnt going to renew with her after her planned 2 months were up because she ranted at my girlfriend when she asked her where something was (among other events that made her show she wasnt up for living with others).
    Out the feckin door me thinks... seriously weird disorder this lad must have.

She has until the weekend to leave now. Landlord wanted me to put her on the phone and told her. There is definitely something not right with her, mood swings that make a woman on her period look calm.
    Yeah, this most certainly doesn't belong in this thread, as it's the opposite of stingy, it's positively spendthrift! :pac:

She would clear the bins of anything she might find useful so we were surprised of her wastefulness.

I should clarify, they weren't really put in the bin, there wasnt any room for them, they were put on top of the wheely bin at the footpath as it was bin day. Luckily they come early in the morning so I managed to collect them and let the landlord know as I was moving out that day so couldnt keep an eye on her crazy.

I have mentioned her in previous posts so she was on thin ice already, the landlord wasnt going to renew with her after her planned 2 months were up because she ranted at my girlfriend when she asked her where something was (among other events that made her show she wasnt up for living with others).

She has until the weekend to leave now. Landlord wanted me to put her on the phone and told her. There is definitely something not right with her, mood swings that make a woman on her period look calm.

She would clear the bins of anything she might find useful so we were surprised of her wastefulness.

Yeah altogether it sounds like she has some mental health issues. I wonder if maybe she just decided she wanted new dishes for whatever reason and maybe thought she'd tell the landlord you guys took them all when yis moved out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

It would seem to me very rude protocol not to have a separate bill for the non drinkers.

Same with rounds.

It would seem so, but most times, the people that are planning these kinds of shin digs don't put all that much thought into the finer details like that. They are so focused in on the person having the event, they pay no attention to the other guests.

A few years ago, I was on medication and a strict diet for about 6 months. I drank/ate plain water, 7Up and simple salads whenever I was out at engagement parties, going away dinners and what not. I wasn't working, so money was tight. I got badly hosed more than once having cough up for 4 course meals and loads of booze that I was not consuming. So I started having a quiet word in the ear of who ever it was that was organizing the event.

I found that it was up to me to speak up, as no one else was going to do it for me, or others like me. A couple of other non drinkers and I banded together. Some times we got funny looks for being stingy, others gave us a hard time for making a fuss, other times, people were very understanding and were very apologetic for not thinking of our situations themselves. It all varied really, there was no set pattern of behaviour. The only common denominator was that it was up to me to speak up and say my piece, no one was ever going to do it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Yeah, splitting the bill at things like that is always tricky. If you look like you're going through it with a fine-tooth comb and calculator, you'll come across as very stingy - but then what if you genuinely don't have much money and only agreed to go out because you didn't want to let down the person who the celebration is for? I think people are becoming a bit more aware of this now with the recession and unemployment. Maybe it's just my generation - early 20s and students until very recently - but in my group of friends, if someone doesn't have a lot of money, they'll only order a main course (no starter/dessert) and the rest of us would never expect them to split the bill evenly with those who had three courses.

But the flipside is you'll also look stingy if you had something hugely expensive and didn't cop on that some people's meals cost a lot less. If I knew my meal was much more expensive, I'd make sure to pay more - it's just not in me to expect others to subsidise my dinner...

I'm also a non-drinker and stay out of rounds where possible. It's not so much out of stinginess (well, only a little bit :p) but because I was once bought 12 Cidonas and Lucozades in one night and I ended up feeling more sick than the drinkers going home :pac:

There is definitely something not right with her, mood swings that make a woman on her period look calm.

Maybe she hasn't gotten laid in a while....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Paddico

Class thread.
    One mate used to refuse ice in his Coke at takeaways so he would get more in the cup.

Another, and me been a bit of an agricultural type, was when a tray of sandwiches came out to the workmen saving hay. The tight neighbour in question decided to send out banana sandwiches to the grown working men to satisfy their hunger.

I guess ham or beef was a bit too pricey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Paddico wrote: »
    Class thread.
    One mate used to refuse ice in his Coke at takeaways so he would get more in the cup.

Another, and me been a bit of an agricultural type, was when a tray of sandwiches came out to the workmen saving hay. The tight neighbour in question decided to send out banana sandwiches to the grown working men to satisfy their hunger.

I guess ham or beef was a bit too pricey

bananas have a lot more energy than ham or beef. Ever see a tennis player / runner eating a bit of beef or ham between games/ during runs? So maybe there was sense in the old farmer!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement