Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Paddico

Pudders wrote: »
    bananas have a lot more energy than ham or beef. Ever see a tennis player / runner eating a bit of beef or ham between games/ during runs? So maybe there was sense in the old farmer!

Maybe! though I serously doubt it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

Paddico wrote: »
    Class thread.
    One mate used to refuse ice in his Coke at takeaways so he would get more in the cup.

Another, and me been a bit of an agricultural type, was when a tray of sandwiches came out to the workmen saving hay. The tight neighbour in question decided to send out banana sandwiches to the grown working men to satisfy their hunger.

I guess ham or beef was a bit too pricey

I do this too. I want a coke, not a cup of ice with a spoonful of coke in it. If anything the takeaways are the stingy ones here......Burger King are the worst for doing this....drives me mad.

Would the cost of making the ice be more expensive than coke?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Doubtful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Class thread.
    One mate used to refuse ice in his Coke at takeaways so he would get more in the cup.

Another, and me been a bit of an agricultural type, was when a tray of sandwiches came out to the workmen saving hay. The tight neighbour in question decided to send out banana sandwiches to the grown working men to satisfy their hunger.

I guess ham or beef was a bit too pricey

I don't see anything stingy about either of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

If you think about the coke/ice scenario then it makes sense to have the ice removed. Say you ask for a large coke, a quarter will be filled of ice and the rest by coke which gives the illusion that it is full whereas it is probably only half full of coke and the ice makes up the rest.
    It's a nice con by the take-away but you are still paying for that extra coke which isn't there. Plus it taste ****e when the ice melts.
    Not stingy in my opinion

me bolly wrote: »
    Knew a guy whose wallet always looked empty but if he wanted to buy something for himself whatever way he used his fingers to root in the pockets of the wallet a twenty spot would always appear.
    He wouldn't spend Christmas.

Maybe he knows the importance of saving money

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Maybe he knows the importance of saving money

Are you in the right thread?

No. We are talking about fast food outlets, they will try and save money any way they can. Plus, Ice is just frozen tapwater.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Dublinpato

maguic24 wrote: »
    No. We are talking about fast food outlets, they will try and save money any way they can. Plus, Ice is just frozen tapwater.

That's why when i go in i ask for fresh ice, none of that frozen sh*te.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

So my wife's friend came to Ireland for a few weeks with her husband and 2 kids, they are Catalan and they have a reputation which makes Cavanese people look like big spenders.

So we met them in town once and one of the kids showed us a little bag full of coppers and the odd 10c , 20c, 50c ....

Then the woman said - yeah they are collecting coins from vending machines, phone boxes (who the hell uses them nowadays) and the ground in general ???

Now kids don't do this by themselves, the fúcking parents had them do that to get more holiday money.

Stingey fúcking cúnts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Assumption or not, I would resent someone offering to pay for something on my behalf.

You're in the right thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

nm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Cla

Not stingy in the slightest, usually the coke is ice cold already as it has been in the fridge for a while so no need for the ice (all it does it gives you watery coke!)

petes wrote: »
    Are you in the right thread?

there is a difference between being stingy and saving money

there is a difference between being stingy and saving money

Yes but it's assumed that you'd pay for the bride/groom's meal on a hen/stag.

OhHiMark wrote: »

It's very dangerous to assume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

kingtut wrote: »
    Not stingy in the slightest, usually the coke is ice cold already as it has been in the fridge for a while so no need for the ice (all it does it gives you watery coke!)

I would agree that it's stingey

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

the_monkey wrote: »
    So my wife's friend came to Ireland for a few weeks with her husband and 2 kids, they are Catalan and they have a reputation which makes Cavanese people look like big spenders.

So we met them in town once and one of the kids showed us a little bag full of coppers and the odd 10c , 20c, 50c ....

Then the woman said - yeah they are collecting coins from vending machines, phone boxes (who the hell uses them nowadays) and the ground in general ???

Now kids don't do this by themselves, the fúcking parents had them do that to get more holiday money.

Stingey fúcking cúnts.

In a thread chock-full of stingey c unts, this is scraping the barrel.

God knows what those weans will be like when they grow up.

People like this should be banned from boarding a plane - assuming they didn't actually make a raft to save money on their journey.

efb wrote: »
    I would agree that it's stingey

Which would you prefer a cup of coke or a cup or ice, when you have ordered a cup of coke?

• Advertisement

maguic24 wrote: »
    Which would you prefer a cup of coke or a cup or ice, when you have ordered a cup of coke?

Wherever I buy it put in fcuk all ice. It keeps the drink cool too

Sorry misread the post, which takeaway is your favourite, so I can remember this??

The burger king I frequent, they give you ice automatically, when you don't even ask for ice!!! Other places do this too, but the biggest offender in my book is burger king. It makes sense if you're a big multinational trying to make all the profits, but it's not great for us Joe Soaps who just want a coke, that tastes like coke, not a cup of ice with near a bit a coke in it atal!! :(

Also do you not think the coke goes flatter way quicker, compared to a coke with no ice?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

I seriously doubt they are saving money with ice. I read somewhere before that it only costs about 5c a fill for soft drinks out of those machines. The cup is more expensive than the contents.

I think it's rank without the ice. Supermacs even McD's don't put in much, but ice is nice.

bear1 wrote: »
    If you think about the coke/ice scenario then it makes sense to have the ice removed. Say you ask for a large coke, a quarter will be filled of ice and the rest by coke which gives the illusion that it is full whereas it is probably only half full of coke and the ice makes up the rest.
    It's a nice con by the take-away but you are still paying for that extra coke which isn't there. Plus it taste ****e when the ice melts.
    Not stingy in my opinion

1/4 full of ice filled with coke, only half a cup of coke????

Where's the other 1/4?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Smash The House

On a transatlantic flight with my family, everyone was given one of those bags with headphones, blanket, toothbrush etc.
    With about 30 mins to land, I go to the bathroom and as I sit back down the flight attendants started to go around to collect the headphones just to get them out of people's way. I never bothered opening mine as i had better ones myself, but my dad beside me used his to watch a movie on the tv. Anyway, I reach down to the plastic bag I was given to get the headphones; they were gone. While I was in the bathroom, my dad had knicked them and put them in his suitcase above us. I of course asked him but he wasn't going to get up and get them.
    So, as the flight attendants walked down the isle collecting them, I pretended I was asleep, just so I wouldn't be asked. Meanwhile, dad gave up his used pair of sh*tty headphones.
    What's even worse is that for the previous fathers day I had spent €40 on proper headphones for him, which he never uses.
    (He dumped the cheap headphones days later, having never used them)

Same holiday in NY, while staying in a hotel costing $200 a night per room (one of which was upgraded to a suite), my dad refused to buy a bag of sugar (suite had a kitchen). Instead, for the whole week he knicked the little things of sugar from cafes and restaurants.

Thank fück his stinginess hasn't rubbed off on me

On a transatlantic flight with my family, everyone was given one of those bags with headphones, blanket, toothbrush etc.
    With about 30 mins to land, I go to the bathroom and as I sit back down the flight attendants started to go around to collect the headphones just to get them out of people's way. I never bothered opening mine as i had better ones myself, but my dad beside me used his to watch a movie on the tv. Anyway, I reach down to the plastic bag I was given to get the headphones; they were gone. While I was in the bathroom, my dad had knicked them and put them in his suitcase above us. I of course asked him but he wasn't going to get up and get them.
    So, as the flight attendants walked down the isle collecting them, I pretended I was asleep, just so I wouldn't be asked. Meanwhile, dad gave up his used pair of sh*tty headphones.
    What's even worse is that for the previous fathers day I had spent €40 on proper headphones for him, which he never uses.
    (He dumped the cheap headphones days later, having never used them)

Same holiday in NY, while staying in a hotel costing $200 a night per room (one of which was upgraded to a suite), my dad refused to buy a bag of sugar (suite had a kitchen). Instead, for the whole week he knicked the little things of sugar from cafes and restaurants.

Thank fück his stinginess hasn't rubbed off on me

Who paid for the $200 a night rooms?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

1/4 full of ice filled with coke, only half a cup of coke????

Where's the other 1/4?

It has happened to me once, cant remember where maybe mcdonalds, I was given large cup with roughly 1/4 of ice and then coke to just above the half way mark.
    Now I'm probably off on my figures but my point is that they put so much ice into the feckin thing that the "large" coke is never full of, well, coke. At least not for me

• Advertisement

OhHiMark wrote: »

I wasn't talking about weddings at all :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement