Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

bear1 wrote: »
    It has happened to me once, cant remember where maybe mcdonalds, I was given large cup with roughly 1/4 of ice and then coke to just above the half way mark.
    Now I'm probably off on my figures but my point is that they put so much ice into the feckin thing that the "large" coke is never full of, well, coke. At least not for me

When I was working in a fast food place (similar to McDonald's et al), the rule was that the cup had to be 1/3 full of ice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    When I was working in a fast food place (similar to McDonald's et al), the rule was that the cup had to be 1/3 full of ice.
    They had a fancy term for it "calibration".

Anywhere that serves coke through cannisters ie one part syrup, one part fizzy water, is on easy street. They save a fortune on having to stock a fridge etc. The ice just adds to the profits. The machines are set to put a certain amount of ice and coke into the container to make it look like a full drink.

If the customer doesn't want the ice then the drink looks a bit scabby and the customer usually asks to have the drink topped up. Where I was working we were always told to tell the customer that if they didn't want ice that was fine but their drink wouldn't be topped up. Queue loads of easy going, happy understanding customers who cared about the profit margins of the shop :pac:

For the most part ie if there wasn't a manager around, we just served the drink without ice (and hence without complaint) and surprise surprise, despite the "loss" in profits, that fast food chain has gone from strength to strength!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    They had a fancy term for it "calibration".

Anywhere that serves coke through cannisters ie one part syrup, one part fizzy water, is on easy street. They save a fortune on having to stock a fridge etc. The ice just adds to the profits. The machines are set to put a certain amount of ice and coke into the container to make it look like a full drink.

If the customer doesn't want the ice then the drink looks a bit scabby and the customer usually asks to have the drink topped up. Where I was working we were always told to tell the customer that if they didn't want ice that was fine but their drink wouldn't be topped up. Queue loads of easy going, happy understanding customers who cared about the profit margins of the shop :pac:

For the most part ie if there wasn't a manager around, we just served the drink without ice (and hence without complaint) and surprise surprise, despite the "loss" in profits, that fast food chain has gone from strength to strength!

F*ckers, F*ckers, F*ckers.

Thinking about the coke thing, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Ryanair here. Heard recently they wanted to start charging for hand luggage. I personally just think it's another PR stunt by O'leary. Never had any problems with them but do hear a lot of people giving out stink about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

As I say to everybody that flies Ryanair (and have to remind myself of on occasion) you get what you pay for.

No frills really means no frills.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Pessimist

My friend's mother was turning 55 and my friend and his 4 siblings decided to buy her a new entertainment system. My friend's sister works for a big electronic retail chain and can get 20% off. And you guessed it - instead of passing on the saving to the siblings she said the 20% off counted as her contribution!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

In a thread chock-full of stingey c unts, this is scraping the barrel.

God knows what those weans will be like when they grow up.

People like this should be banned from boarding a plane - assuming they didn't actually make a raft to save money on their journey.

It wouldn't surprise me, they got a really good deal on Ryanair ... of course they did.

This is the tip of the iceberg, apparantly she left one farm cos they guy said she'd have to buy the food for the kids.

She expected the guy to feed her 2 kids aswell !!!!

she was the one working, the deal was food + accomodation for ONE in exchange for work!!!!

The neck on her !! , and all the other families did feed her kids.

Pessimist wrote: »
    My friend's mother was turning 55 and my friend and his 4 siblings decided to buy her a new entertainment system. My friend's sister works for a big electronic retail chain and can get 20% off. And you guessed it - instead of passing on the saving to the siblings she said the 20% off counted as her contribution!!!

f*cking stingey bitch ....

Would the cost of making the ice be more expensive than coke?

This is a good point, remember the coke or pepsi these places have is not the same "quality" :rolleyes: you get in a bottle or can, it's watered down piss anyway ... so it's really cheap per litre ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

the_monkey wrote: »
    This is a good point, remember the coke or pepsi these places have is not the same "quality" :rolleyes: you get in a bottle or can, it's watered down piss anyway ... so it's really cheap per litre ...

I doubt it makes much difference to them with a one time purchase. The canister stuff is so cheap it wouldn't surprise me if the ice is more expensive to make. But where they will definitely make a profit is when someone wants more coke. They may go back for a second drink or the next time they come in they may opt for a large instead of a medium or small because the previous time wasn't enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,413 ✭✭✭✭Victor

bear1 wrote: »
    If you think about the coke/ice scenario then it makes sense to have the ice removed. Say you ask for a large coke, a quarter will be filled of ice and the rest by coke which gives the illusion that it is full whereas it is probably only half full of coke and the ice makes up the rest.
    It's a nice con by the take-away but you are still paying for that extra coke which isn't there. Plus it taste ****e when the ice melts.
    Not stingy in my opinion
    So what is the other quarter made up of?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Victor wrote: »
    So what is the other quarter made up of?

And one quarter stingy....

Keep up Victor.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

OhHiMark wrote: »
    Yes but it's assumed that you'd pay for the bride/groom's meal on a hen/stag.

Not always - when I was a bridesmaid, the three bridesmaids paid for her meal, the rest didn't. So no, it's not always assumed.

Though, speaking of stingy, at that particular meal, one of the hen guests didn't give money for her meal, she apparently assumed the bridesmaids were paying for everyone's meal. I was a newly-minted graduate. That's not going to happen, toots. We had to ask her for her share afterwards... awk-ward.

What did you do when people specified that they didn't want ice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Ask them would they like fries.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭1shot16

Was at someones house and went to to take a piss and notice there was no toilet paper and i didnt take much notice at the time thinking forgot to put some int he toilet,After we came out my uncle told me the person is so tight and mean with money sayin that u had to bring ur own toilet paper even!Couldnt stop laughing for a full 10 minutes like toilet paper!Youd probally get charged per cm if they did :P

Gave it to them without ice? :confused: What else? We were allowed fill the cup to the top if they wanted no ice in it.

The worst was these gobshítes who would come in, order their stuff, get it, come back two minutes later, asking 'Can you take the ice out of this?' Yeah okay, I'll just shove my hand in there and remove it. :rolleyes:

Gave it to them without ice? :confused: What else? We were allowed fill the cup to the top if they wanted no ice in it.

You said the rule was 1/3 ice. If you were allowed fill it to the top, then there was no rule, clearly. :confused: Unless you meant there was to be no more than 1/3 cup of ice. But that wasn't clear from your post.

You said the rule was 1/3 ice. If you were allowed fill it to the top, then there was no rule, clearly. :confused: Unless you meant there was to be no more than 1/3 cup of ice. But that wasn't clear from your post.

The rule was that you automatically fill the cup 1/3 of the way with ice. Obviously, if a customer requests no ice, you don't fill the cup 1/3 with ice?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

No Ice for me please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

the whole ice debate is getting old, can we move on??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Totally agree homeless student :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

ah ****, i missed the ice debate. Again.

why is life so cruel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭saltyjack silverblade

I had a teacher that used to turn his car engine off when going down steep hills in order to save petrol. The same guy had a 10euro limit on his spend for his 3 kids at xmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

the whole ice debate is getting cold, can we move on??

Fixed that for ya.

I had a teacher that used to turn his car engine off when going down steep hills in order to save petrol. The same guy had a 10euro limit on his spend for his 3 kids at xmas.

Neighbour of ours used to do that, legendary stingebag, bragged about it everywhere and that everybody else was "too stupid to save a few bob" by switching the engine off. The inevitable happened, went down a steep hill, hard bend at the bottom, as the engine was off the brakes wouldn't work properly (no servo) so he crashed the car.

Local insurance guy had a chat with him, got him to admit the engine was switched off at the time of the accident and they refused to pay out due to negligent driving. He paid around £2,000 at the time to get the car fixed, broke his heart handing the cash over I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭downwesht

Have a relation that when she goes to a restaurant praises the brown bread to the waitress early in the meal.She asks if it possible to buy a loaf,when told yes she tells the waitress that she will buy one for home when she is leaving. She then proceeds to eat the meal and pays for it,then as she is just about to leave she asks for the loaf of bread...9 times out of 10 she gets it on the house......stingy cow....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,962 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

About weddings.....

Am I a stinge, a bah humbug, or couldn't be arased?...

I will ONLY accept invites to the weddings of very close family. I like my family!

On the other hand, I am always "on holidays, going away, conference at work etc." for the padders, I.e. those who want you there for the moolah pressie...

It costs so much more for a guest to go to weddings these days than it does for the couple. New outfit, getting there, stay over, drinks, lunch next day and so on.

And TBH, I think weddings are so feckin boring. Ok church, Registry etc 2pm. Hang around starving until 6pm or so, have a few drinks to kill the time while the couple are gurning for two hours somewhere with the photographer. Get a bit tiddly. As you do!

Then....the worst bit. You are stuck at a table with folk you hardly know. Hi, lovely wedding, yes, great weather, thank god it didn't rain, yes. Full stop. It's hard work.

Ok I am not in my twenties anymore, but honestly, is it worth it for soup, beef or salmon, dessert, and coffee? And a whole load of shyte in between?

I dunno.

BTW when I decline an invite I send a lovely message plus 100 quid. Cheaper than going, and less boring.

Sorry to all the getting marrieds out there, but I would say I am not alone in my thinking!

Just read this, it's hilarious

http://www.ihateweddings.com/?itemid=83

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Off topic but anyhow, we use a lot of chilli when cooking and I've burnt the nob off myself plenty of times from chopping chilli and forgetting to wash my hands before going to the toilet.

Plenty of times! :eek:

EDIT: I suppose you could say I'm stingy with the water! :D
    I had the 'ghost chilli' chicken wings at Cortinas in Dundrum a few weeks back - they made me sign a medical release before serving! For context, on the Scoville scale (covers how spicy stuff is, basically) jalapenos are 8,000 while tabasco is about 30-50,000. Ghost chilli meanwhile is over 1mn, very close to pepper spray. I had seen it on Man vs. Food so wanted to try it out, and my mate said he'd cover the meal if I got through them, which I did (barely - the staff were actually shocked that I did). I am usually a glutton for spicy foods, but this was out of this world, I was literally wincing and shaking while eating them, and trying to walk out after I felt like I had just drank a pint of absinthe.

Everywhere burned, though. Everywhere. I had the most intense burning sensation in my stomach for days, farting was agony and when it was, errr, more than that... I can't even describe. What amazed me though was that for all that day and the next, even taking a piss burned incredibly and for a half hour after, and I went to lengths to make sure I had no direct contact because it was on my mind. Like Rainier Wolfcastle's goggles... it did naaaathing!

Think I went though 10 litres of milk in the day-and-a-half after having them as well as tonnes of ice cream and creamy foods. I don't even want to know what it would have been like if I hadn't.

Moral of the story: try ghost chili, it's awesome! :D

kingtut wrote: »
    Not stingy in the slightest, usually the coke is ice cold already as it has been in the fridge for a while so no need for the ice (all it does it gives you watery coke!)
    Actually agree here, so long as it isn't room temp the ice does nothing for the drink (and for non-Coke drinks that actually taste of something :p , take away from it even before melting - too cold and you can't taste much of anything). It gets really bad the other way around in some place as well, the very odd time the ice mountain has reached the lid of the cup for me, if you took that out immediately before it melted, the cup would only be 30% full or so.

Doesn't wind me up as much as bags of crisps though, that as soon as you open (before taking a single one) you can fold over 2-3 full times because the bag is only 1/2 - 1/4 full. I'm not at all tight with my money (actually a bit reckless with it at times), but that to me is very false advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Billy86 wrote: »
    I had the 'ghost chilli' chicken wings at Cortinas in Dundrum a few weeks back - they made me sign a medical release before serving! For context, on the Scoville scale (covers how spicy stuff is, basically) jalapenos are 8,000 while tabasco is about 30-50,000. Ghost chilli meanwhile is over 1mn, very close to pepper spray. I had seen it on Man vs. Food so wanted to try it out, and my mate said he'd cover the meal if I got through them, which I did (barely - the staff were actually shocked that I did). I am usually a glutton for spicy foods, but this was out of this world, I was literally wincing and shaking while eating them, and trying to walk out after I felt like I had just drank a pint of absinthe.

Everywhere burned, though. Everywhere. I had the most intense burning sensation in my stomach for days, farting was agony and when it was, errr, more than that... I can't even describe. What amazed me though was that for all that day and the next, even taking a piss burned incredibly and for a half hour after, and I went to lengths to make sure I had no direct contact because it was on my mind. Like Rainier Wolfcastle's goggles... it did naaaathing!

Think I went though 10 litres of milk in the day-and-a-half after having them as well as tonnes of ice cream and creamy foods. I don't even want to know what it would have been like if I hadn't.

Moral of the story: try ghost chili, it's awesome! :D

I'm not sure what the stingy part of this is but you ser, are magnificent.

• Advertisement

rawn wrote: »
    I'm not sure what the stingy part of this is but you ser, are magnificent.
    Yeah, kind of went off on a tangent there, might as well contribute! :p

First there is the story of a friend's dad who ordered a chipper. The family each got something and since they're all adults, threw their own money in. Nobody had coins so they had €30 for a €28.50 order, and left it by the door. The dad was in the bathroom when my mate answered the door, gave the money and left the rest as tip (personally I'd have thrown on €2 more, but no big deal). The dad gets out of the bathroom, and realising there is still time, runs out of the house to the delivery guy - a friend-of-a-friend of my mates at that - asking for the €1.50 back. I only found this out through the delivery driver, but it's par for the course for this guy, it's a safe bet he also rounded down on his share of the money rather than up.

There was another one in my head when I was originally reading this thread, but I'm hanging a fair bit so it's gone. I'll post it up if it comes back to me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement