Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭CastingCouch

Uncle & his wife once gave me 3, 2 euro scratchcards for a bday.

Same group also gave me a 7-up jumper that was collected using tokens. They only have 3 nephews/nieces so not like it's to cut costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Billy86 wrote: »
    Doesn't wind me up as much as bags of crisps though, that as soon as you open (before taking a single one) you can fold over 2-3 full times because the bag is only 1/2 - 1/4 full. I'm not at all tight with my money (actually a bit reckless with it at times), but that to me is very false advertising.
    I hate it when you buy the multipack of crisps and the packets are half the size of a regular packet :eek::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

rawn wrote: »
    I'm not sure what the stingy part of this is but you ser, are magnificent.

Well it's sting-y, if not stingy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I hate it when you buy the multipack of crisps and the packets are half the size of a regular packet :eek::mad:
    I don't mind that as much, at least they are usually referred to as 'fun size' or 'party size' or some other thinly-veiled nonsense. It's the fact that those packs are empty too! :p

I tried it once actually after buying a few packs of crisps. Got half a small handful shy of three packs into one bag while still being able to close the top without damaging any of the contents. It's really irritating... iirc there was someone a few years back who brought a pin or something into some shops and pierced then deflated whole shelves. Got himself in a bit of trouble, but must've looked ridiculous on the shelves, kind of like comparing grapes with raisins if that makes sense. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭VONSHIRACH

A relative said he had to work late one evening and he couldn't visit his terminally ill uncle in hospital. However, he went to a soccer game that evening, quite close to said hospital. When queried later, he was mortified and said he got the tickets at the last minute at work! A complete lie. Uncle died 2 days later.

The uncle was elderly and a bachelor. When the same stingy relative was asked to make a contribution to help with funeral expenses, he refused and his siblings did it. Of course, the bold fellow said a few words at the funeral service and was one of the pall bearers!

The same stingy relative told me to pass a message on to his nephew that he couldn't afford to give him a birthday card or present.

He turned up at his Dad's 80th birthday party with his wife and kids and helped themselves to all the goodies, paid for by the other siblings!

He brought his wife and kids to a 1st Communion party and fed and watered themselves, no gift offered.

When he visits his Dad in the nursing home, maybe once a month, he never brings anything, and he stays maybe 15 minutes max. He only brings his kids if there is money to be had, ie their birthdays or when they had First Communion/Confirmation. One day another sibling saw them all in Superquinn after visiting Dad, loading up on goodies to bring home!

He really is the meanest relative any person can have. He is in secure employment in the civil service, no money worries and his wife doesn't work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

I had a teacher that used to turn his car engine off when going down steep hills in order to save petrol. The same guy had a 10euro limit on his spend for his 3 kids at xmas.
    My dad used to do this (engine off downhill) until he read the story in the newspaper about whole family of 4 dying when their car went off of the road and rolled down the steep bank crushing everyone inside - the driver had engine off to save fuel - and was unable to steer out of the bend at the bottom of the hill because steering wheel locked (safety lock when ignition is off).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

j@utis wrote: »
    - and was unable to steer out of the bend at the bottom of the hill because steering wheel locked (safety lock when ignition is off).
    Just remembered that this happened to me on the day after the Springsteen concert in Slane in 1985. My little Fiat 127 had broken down when the petrol pump failed on the way back from Slane. I was getting a tow home from my big brother on the following day, and made all the way back to Dublin without difficulty, but had to do a sharp right hand turn somewhere after Finglas when the steering locked, as the ignition was off. Brown trouser moment resulting in a broken tow rope.

Not really stingy, unless you consider failure to call a professional towing company stingy...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

VONSHIRACH wrote: »
    A relative said he had to work late one evening and he couldn't visit his terminally ill uncle in hospital. However, he went to a soccer game that evening, quite close to said hospital. When queried later, he was mortified and said he got the tickets at the last minute at work! A complete lie. Uncle died 2 days later.

The uncle was elderly and a bachelor. When the same stingy relative was asked to make a contribution to help with funeral expenses, he refused and his siblings did it. Of course, the bold fellow said a few words at the funeral service and was one of the pall bearers!

The same stingy relative told me to pass a message on to his nephew that he couldn't afford to give him a birthday card or present.

He turned up at his Dad's 80th birthday party with his wife and kids and helped themselves to all the goodies, paid for by the other siblings!

He brought his wife and kids to a 1st Communion party and fed and watered themselves, no gift offered.

When he visits his Dad in the nursing home, maybe once a month, he never brings anything, and he stays maybe 15 minutes max. He only brings his kids if there is money to be had, ie their birthdays or when they had First Communion/Confirmation. One day another sibling saw them all in Superquinn after visiting Dad, loading up on goodies to bring home!

He really is the meanest relative any person can have. He is in secure employment in the civil service, no money worries and his wife doesn't work.

Given his Dad is in a nursing home, there's something particularly disgusting about this.

I have to say, he sounds like a complete and utter shameless c unt who needs his brass neck wrung.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

J@utis, RainyDay.
    Not to mention you lose all brake assistance after a small few uses:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Billy86 wrote: »
    I had the 'ghost chilli' chicken wings at Cortinas in Dundrum a few weeks back - they made me sign a medical release before serving!

Honestly, if this stuff really required a medical release the FSA would hardly allow them to serve it. Marketing stunt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Honestly, if this stuff really required a medical release the FSA would hardly allow them to serve it. Marketing stunt.

I'd imagine it's more of a 'don't sue us' tactic, since ghost chillis basically blister your mouth to fook and leave you with horrible stomach pains if you're not able for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Red Kev wrote: »
    Fixed that for ya.

Neighbour of ours used to do that, legendary stingebag, bragged about it everywhere and that everybody else was "too stupid to save a few bob" by switching the engine off. The inevitable happened, went down a steep hill, hard bend at the bottom, as the engine was off the brakes wouldn't work properly (no servo) so he crashed the car.

Local insurance guy had a chat with him, got him to admit the engine was switched off at the time of the accident and they refused to pay out due to negligent driving. He paid around £2,000 at the time to get the car fixed, broke his heart handing the cash over I'd say.

How would they know if the engine was off at the time? Just curious :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

bear1 wrote: »
    How would they know if the engine was off at the time? Just curious :)

Because the alternative is probably reckless driving.

Not wreckless driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Pessimist wrote: »
    My friend's mother was turning 55 and my friend and his 4 siblings decided to buy her a new entertainment system. My friend's sister works for a big electronic retail chain and can get 20% off. And you guessed it - instead of passing on the saving to the siblings she said the 20% off counted as her contribution!!!

That's shocking stingy!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Pm1e

I know someone who put her name on a can of coke in the fridge when she had just popped over to watch a film with a group of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Pm1e wrote: »
    I know someone who put her name on a can of coke in the fridge when she had just popped over to watch a film with a group of us.

I think you've misunderstood a marketing campaign :pac:

VONSHIRACH wrote: »

This really should be listed under 'stingy' in the dictionary. Classic stinge-bag behaviour.

As my mother once said about something like this (especially being there for people in their last illness) - "their children will learn this from them and, when their time comes, will behave the same".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

OhHiMark wrote: »
    Because the alternative is probably reckless driving.

Not wreckless driving.

But isn't it reckless driving anyways?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I saw a friend the other day, who I haven't seen for months. She wasn't aware that I have quit smoking.

As soon as she saw me, she told me I looked lovely. Conversation then went like this -

Her: Do you have a smoke on you?

Me: Nope, sorry, I quit a few months ago.

Her: Fcuk sake, now I have to go BUY smokes.

Me: Would you not have had to anyway? You smoke more than one!

Her: Well you could have split a pack with me to save me money and now you can't!

I would have thought she'd congratulate me, but nope, she was fuming that she couldn't bum a smoke from me. This girl has more money in the bank than I'd earn in a year! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I think esoteric got it right about not suing them. This stuff is beyond comprehension, really - there's no point even trying to explain it. All I can say is that when I stood up to get a glass of milk at the end of it all, I nearly fell over sideways three times on the way to the bar (probably 20 feet). :p

The stuff is basically as strong as some weaker pepper sprays (and half the strength of US police pepper stray), and I am not surprised I made a point of not touching my eyes, but something - the fumes maybe? Something - got in my eye and the burning was so bad that it felt like I imagine pepper spray would be - some guy even came rushing over with a wet hand-towel (they were very quiet when we were in). I can see how someone being stupid could cause serious damage to themselves there, and likewise quite possibly people with conditions that give them fierce reactions to things like vindaloo and Franks Hot Sauce.

Here's an image of the Scoville scale, by the way.
    http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_kys1cyEXd11qa0uujo1_1280.png?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAI6WLSGT7Y3ET7ADQ&Expires=1377607455&Signature=SyFwwXVRFcVDfWl8RzVgM4dhZU0%3D#_=_

• Advertisement

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    I would have thought she'd congratulate me, but nope, she was fuming that she couldn't bum a smoke from me. This girl has more money in the bank than I'd earn in a year! :pac:

Nice one!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭connollys

Uncle & his wife once gave me 3, 2 euro scratchcards for a bday.

Arent you the stinge to be expecting more. Do you get your uncle and his wife anything for their birthdays?

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭1shot16

connollys wrote: »
    Arent you the stinge to be expecting more. Do you get your uncle and his wife anything for their birthdays?

No but im sure hell give his nieces and nephews presents thats normally how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭clumsyklutz

One of the worst I heard was a friend who received a necklace from her boyfriend (at the time) for christmas. The only problem was he had scratched out another girls name (good friend) and wrote hers on it (apparently he had fallen out with said good friend of his a few days earlier) didn't even bother to re-wrap the thing...stingy git!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Hmm, some of the stories in this thread, particularly the ones about housemates have made me a bit paranoid. They made me think about a fall out I had with a few friends in uni. It would be interesting to hear what people think.

So basically, uni was over. For me anyway, the other lads in the house were repeating years. But seeing as I was working up there and seeing a girl I decided to stay up for the summer. We all decided to stay on in the house we were in so we extended the lease for another three months.
    My girlfriend at the time was also staying up there and seeing as we were both working ****ty jobs and neither of us would be getting any student loans or anything like that we decided that she'd just move into my room.
    We didnt think it would be a big deal as it was a big house, it wasnt affecting what anybody else was paying and household bills like electricity and all that would now be split five ways instead of four, but we told them beforehand as a courtesy.
    However, the other three lads flipped out and said it wasnt fair that I'd be paying less for my room.
    After a few days of not speaking to me they came to us with this "compromise."
    Basically the GF could move in with me but instead of paying just for our room, what would happen is the cost of all the rooms would be put together (different rooms cost different rents based on size) and divided by five.
    So it basically worked out that everyone else got a tenner or so knocked off their room per week whereas me and the girlfriend would now be paying 72 quid for a 40 pound room.
    I was gobsmacked, told them to **** off and took my name off the lease.

So, was I they stinge? Were they? Was everybody wrong?

Hmm, some of the stories in this thread, particularly the ones about housemates have made me a bit paranoid. They made me think about a fall out I had with a few friends in uni. It would be interesting to hear what people think.

So basically, uni was over. For me anyway, the other lads in the house were repeating years. But seeing as I was working up there and seeing a girl I decided to stay up for the summer. We all decided to stay on in the house we were in so we extended the lease for another three months.
    My girlfriend at the time was also staying up there and seeing as we were both working shitty jobs and neither of us would be getting any student loans or anything like that we decided that she'd just move into my room.
    We didnt think it would be a big deal as it was a big house, it wasnt affecting what anybody else was paying and household bills like electricity and all that would now be split five ways instead of four, but we told them beforehand as a courtesy.
    However, the other three lads flipped out and said it wasnt fair that I'd be paying less for my room.
    After a few days of not speaking to me they came to us with this "compromise."
    Basically the GF could move in with me but instead of paying just for our room, what would happen is the cost of all the rooms would be put together (different rooms cost different rents based on size) and divided by five.
    So it basically worked out that everyone else got a tenner or so knocked off their room per week whereas me and the girlfriend would now be paying 72 quid for a 40 pound room.
    I was gobsmacked, told them to fuck off and took my name off the lease.

So, was I they stinge? Were they? Was everybody wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

They were the ones being stingy as they saw an opportunity to get out of paying some more cash themselves.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Surely you know you were being stingy trying to sneak her in essentially rent-free?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    I saw a friend the other day, who I haven't seen for months. She wasn't aware that I have quit smoking.

As soon as she saw me, she told me I looked lovely. Conversation then went like this -

Her: Do you have a smoke on you?

Me: Nope, sorry, I quit a few months ago.

Her: Fcuk sake, now I have to go BUY smokes.

Me: Would you not have had to anyway? You smoke more than one!

Her: Well you could have split a pack with me to save me money and now you can't!

Is she South African?

• Advertisement

miamee wrote: »
    Surely you know you were being stingy trying to sneak her in essentially rent-free?

There was no sneaking, we told them what we were going to do. And rent in the house was based entirely on your room. The rent for the room would still have been paid. No extra space was being taken up and other bills for everyone would now be less as they were being split an extra way

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement