Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

There was no sneaking, we told them what we were going to do. And rent in the house was based entirely on your room. The rent for the room would still have been paid. No extra space was being taken up and other bills for everyone would now be less as they were being split an extra way

I'm with you. Anytime a housemate has moved their OH in to the house I wouldn't expect rent to be split by another head. Bills yeah of course, but not the rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Pessimist

Hmm, some of the stories in this thread, particularly the ones about housemates have made me a bit paranoid. They made me think about a fall out I had with a few friends in uni. It would be interesting to hear what people think....

So, was I they stinge? Were they? Was everybody wrong?

I think you were all trying to get the best deal possible to be honest. They didn't want an extra person moving in rent free and you didn't want to pay double for one room. It's hard to fairly split it so all parties are happy. Wouldn't say either party was essentially stingy but I would have just split the rent and bills 5 ways if it were up to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Pessimist wrote: »
    I think you were all trying to get the best deal possible to be honest. They didn't want an extra person moving in rent free and you didn't want to pay double for one room. It's hard to fairly split it so all parties are happy. Wouldn't say either party was essentially stingy but I would have just split the rent and bills 5 ways if it were up to me!

I think the fact that the house is now shared with an extra person makes it less of a draw to them (remember that the kitchen and living room are fair game for anyone) so yes a small discount on the rent for them (made up of the contribution of rent she would pay) would be fair to me.

Living with couples is generally a nightmare; they team up for the TV remote and you get a bad smell in the place when they fight verbally or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

mathie wrote: »
    Is she South African?

:D Alan Partridge fan?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

I'd have to agree that you were being a little stingey not making your gf pay any rent, even if it was based on the room. Myself and by boyfriend lived in a 3 bed apartment with 2 other people. It was rented as a unit, and we split the rent 4 ways because to us, that seemed like the only fair way to do it. Splitting unevenly is never a really nice way to go, someone will always feel as if they are being shafted in one way or another.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Billy86 wrote: »
    Also, just some food for thought for some people who seem fine with alcohol (and might not be 'fine with' but are not up in arms over nicotine), but have issues with currently illegal drugs on the bass of them illegal 'for a reason' - e.g. being more dangerous and more addictive.

I'll be honest, the LSD one shocked me.

You might have the wrong thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Angron wrote: »
    You might have the wrong thread.

Damn tabs!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I don't think your ex housemates were being stingy. It's an extra person in the house after all, using the bathroom and other facilities too, not just your room.

When I moved with my now husband I had a flat mate. We took €100 a month off her rent and them split the bills 3 ways after that, fairs fair imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Friend of a friend was recently diagnosed with diabetes and I was told that he is RE-USING the needles which he uses to check his diabetes three times a day.

I know about diabetes as a family member has it and I know you are absolutely not supposed to re-use the needles. I wouldn't mind, but they're extremely cheap.

His reason was "Sure it's only my blood that'll be on them."
    Apart from that being extremely miserable, it's so dangerous; risk of infection, inaccurate sugar reading.
    I was gobsmacked.

Also heard this person makes THREE CUPS OF TEA from one teabag AND he buys oil for her central heating once a year and will only put the heating on if it's -100degrees

It could be snowing out, his teeth could be chattering but he won't put it on. That is mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Did you read in the the times about the bachelor who lived over 100 miles from his sister contested her will when she only left him €45,000 most went to charity, the judge threw out his case!

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/brother-fails-in-bid-for-greater-share-of-sister-s-3-5m-estate-1.1506187

Miserable fecker!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭starling

Hmm, some of the stories in this thread, particularly the ones about housemates have made me a bit paranoid. They made me think about a fall out I had with a few friends in uni. It would be interesting to hear what people think.

So basically, uni was over. For me anyway, the other lads in the house were repeating years. But seeing as I was working up there and seeing a girl I decided to stay up for the summer. We all decided to stay on in the house we were in so we extended the lease for another three months.
    My girlfriend at the time was also staying up there and seeing as we were both working ****ty jobs and neither of us would be getting any student loans or anything like that we decided that she'd just move into my room.
    We didnt think it would be a big deal as it was a big house, it wasnt affecting what anybody else was paying and household bills like electricity and all that would now be split five ways instead of four, but we told them beforehand as a courtesy.
    However, the other three lads flipped out and said it wasnt fair that I'd be paying less for my room.
    After a few days of not speaking to me they came to us with this "compromise."
    Basically the GF could move in with me but instead of paying just for our room, what would happen is the cost of all the rooms would be put together (different rooms cost different rents based on size) and divided by five.
    So it basically worked out that everyone else got a tenner or so knocked off their room per week whereas me and the girlfriend would now be paying 72 quid for a 40 pound room.
    I was gobsmacked, told them to **** off and took my name off the lease.

So, was I they stinge? Were they? Was everybody wrong?

Well, deciding to move your gf in then announcing it to your house mates isn't really on. It's one thing to say "all bills will now be split five ways" but you don't know how much of an increase there's going to be in those bills. The lads are now sharing their space with an extra person who wasn't there when they signed the lease, so you've changed their living conditions. When it comes to decisions affecting the household everyone should have an equal say. (On thatnote, they're now dealing with two people who will probably side with each other automatically in any further decisions, that can be awkward.) Telling them this is what you've decided, and so it's happening, isn't a courtesy, it's actually kind of an insult.

As for how they reacted personally I would've pointed out those things rather than saying "it's not fair you'll be paying less for your room." Are you sure that was the reason for their objection?

How fair their compromise was depends on what the original arrangement was.

If you all came along individually and rented rooms, then they're not being fair by suddenly changing that to five people sharing the rent on a house.

OTOH if you were renting on the basis "the four of us will pay the rent on this house together" then they're totally in the right.

Er, just to clarify I'm not a lawyer, I'm just talking about fairness as opposed to legality :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

starling wrote: »
    Well, deciding to move your gf in then announcing it to your house mates isn't really on. It's one thing to say "all bills will now be split five ways" but you don't know how much of an increase there's going to be in those bills. The lads are now sharing their space with an extra person who wasn't there when they signed the lease, so you've changed their living conditions. When it comes to decisions affecting the household everyone should have an equal say. (On thatnote, they're now dealing with two people who will probably side with each other automatically in any further decisions, that can be awkward.) Telling them this is what you've decided, and so it's happening, isn't a courtesy, it's actually kind of an insult.

As for how they reacted personally I would've pointed out those things rather than saying "it's not fair you'll be paying less for your room." Are you sure that was the reason for their objection?

How fair their compromise was depends on what the original arrangement was.

If you all came along individually and rented rooms, then they're not being fair by suddenly changing that to five people sharing the rent on a house.

OTOH if you were renting on the basis "the four of us will pay the rent on this house together" then they're totally in the right.

Er, just to clarify I'm not a lawyer, I'm just talking about fairness as opposed to legality :)

Maybe I confused people with the way I wrote that. She didnt move in. We talked to them about it before we did anything, like we asked them if it would be ok. We just genuinely didnt think it would be such a big deal. Rent was different for everyone based on the size of your room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

If you are sharing a common area, kitchen and bathroom etc, and especially if you are sharing a common living room I think it is absolutely correct you should have split it 5 ways. If you are only paying for a room and no kitchen, bathroom and living room shared it would be different.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0826/470412-joseph-dee-will/
    An 80-year-old man told the High Court that he felt he had won the lotto and lost the ticket after reading his millionaire sister's will and finding she had left much of it to charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

efb wrote: »
    Did you read in the the times about the bachelor who lived over 100 miles from his sister contested her will when she only left him €45,000 most went to charity, the judge threw out his case!

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/brother-fails-in-bid-for-greater-share-of-sister-s-3-5m-estate-1.1506187

Miserable fecker!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

I know, just read that! :eek:

And she left the money to some great causes. Greedy fecker. He wasn't automatically entitled to her money!

I know, just read that! :eek:

And she left the money to some great causes. Greedy fecker. He wasn't automatically entitled to her money!

There could be a whole lot more to the story than what's been reported. For all we know the old man may have offered financial support in the past or given up his time to take care of his sister. Granted it may not be anything more than a stingy old git trying to pull a fast one but the possibility is there. Wills are a dangerous thing and nothing tears a family apart faster than the reading of one.

It costs so much more for a guest to go to weddings these days than it does for the couple. New outfit, getting there, stay over, drinks, lunch next day and so on.

No need for a new outfit, don't have to drink, you can then drive home if it's close enough, give the present you can afford, not the "going rate". Sorted! :)

I agree with you that most weddings are a bit of an ordeal.

There could be a whole lot more to the story than what's been reported. For all we know the old man may have offered financial support in the past or given up his time to take care of his sister. Granted it may not be anything more than a stingy old git trying to pull a fast one but the possibility is there. Wills are a dangerous thing and nothing tears a family apart faster than the reading of one.

He would have put forward that in court if be had.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Doesn't wind me up as much as bags of crisps though, that as soon as you open (before taking a single one) you can fold over 2-3 full times because the bag is only 1/2 - 1/4 full. I'm not at all tight with my money (actually a bit reckless with it at times), but that to me is very false advertising.

Crisp bags have lots of air to prevent the crisps getting crushed.

• Advertisement

fussyonion wrote: »
    Friend of a friend was recently diagnosed with diabetes and I was told that he is RE-USING the needles which he uses to check his diabetes three times a day.

I know about diabetes as a family member has it and I know you are absolutely not supposed to re-use the needles. I wouldn't mind, but they're extremely cheap.

Apart from that being extremely miserable, it's so dangerous; risk of infection, inaccurate sugar reading.
    I was gobsmacked.

:eek:

Does he at least sterilise the needles? PLEASE tell me he at least sterilises the needles!

efb wrote: »
    He would have put forward that in court if be had.

Which is why I said that there may be more to this than what is being reported.

There could be a whole lot more to the story than what's been reported.

True, but he didn't succeed, which is telling. The court has made its ruling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭manyoung

This isn't THAT bad but going into a shop with just a fiver and intending to buy credit. Girl takes fiver and says: "Service charge, 5 cent please".

It's the best I could think of but I was baffled.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I don't think that that'd have had any bearing on the case unless he could show that the main beneficiary had undue influence over her. You hear all the time of people who've basically given up everything to look after an elderly relative only to be left an old teapot while the bulk of the estate goes to the local cats' home.

kylith wrote: »
    I don't think that that'd have had any bearing on the case unless he could show that the main beneficiary had undue influence over her. You hear all the time of people who've basically given up everything to look after an elderly relative only to be left an old teapot while the bulk of the estate goes to the local cats' home.

He lived 100 miles away

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There could be a whole lot more to the story than what's been reported.
    Not when you realise that the other brother didn't contest the will.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Don't really know how stingy this is , but I have a mate who once jumped out of a car while we were edging towards traffic lights because he saw a homeless guy drop a fiver in a phonebox, he got the fiver caught up with us and got back in the car like nothing happened.

Still denies doing it to this day, only myself and the other 2 lads in the car can attest to it.

To be fair though, he wasn't a bad bloke in fact he's a great guy just does this random thing's at times and is always broke because 'he loves the session'.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

fussyonion wrote: »

I was gobsmacked.

Also heard this person makes THREE CUPS OF TEA from one teabag AND he buys oil for her central heating once a year and will only put the heating on if it's -100degrees

It could be snowing out, his teeth could be chattering but he won't put it on. That is mean.

more than mean, thats complete stupidity

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭HansHolzel

Reminds me of two old sayings:

(1) He wouldn't give his sh^t to the crows
    (2) He wouldn't give you the steam off his p^ss.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement