Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭starling

There could be a whole lot more to the story than what's been reported. For all we know the old man may have offered financial support in the past or given up his time to take care of his sister. Granted it may not be anything more than a stingy old git trying to pull a fast one but the possibility is there. Wills are a dangerous thing and nothing tears a family apart faster than the reading of one.

The only thing worse is dying intestate and leaving the family going "s/he would have left that to me" that's a sure fire recipe for disaster, I know from experience.

No need for a new outfit, don't have to drink, you can then drive home if it's close enough, give the present you can afford, not the "going rate". Sorted! :)

I agree with you that most weddings are a bit of an ordeal.

Yeah, but in fairness, if you go to two weddings within the same social circle, some people take it as insult that you wear the same thing twice. Or if it's the first formal occasion you've been to in a while you might not even have an outfit suitable for a wedding. It's not a hard and fast rule, but let's be honest, it's expected most of the time.

Unless you're known as a teetotaller or you have health issues that people know about that prevent you from drinking it appears very rude to refuse to drink at a wedding; and to be fair a lot of people find weddings so boring or find it so nerve wracking to be all day and night in the company of people they don't know that they feel the only way they can endure it is with a bit of "social lubricant." Personally I'm a non drinker but I can understand that attitude.

And as for how far away the wedding is you really don't have any control over that. Most people's lives aren't like Eastenders where every single day of their life is lived within one small square in London and they all drink in the one pub and only have sex with their neighbours :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

efb wrote: »
    He lived 100 miles away
    I was replying to Darko who said
    ~
    For all we know the old man may have offered financial support in the past or given up his time to take care of his sister.
    pointing out that it doesn't matter a jot if he paid every medical bill the woman racked up, it doesn't make him any more entitled to a penny from her will.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

fussyonion wrote: »
    Friend of a friend was recently diagnosed with diabetes and I was told that he is RE-USING the needles which he uses to check his diabetes three times a day.

I know about diabetes as a family member has it and I know you are absolutely not supposed to re-use the needles. I wouldn't mind, but they're extremely cheap.

His reason was "Sure it's only my blood that'll be on them."
    Apart from that being extremely miserable, it's so dangerous; risk of infection, inaccurate sugar reading.
    I was gobsmacked.

Also heard this person makes THREE CUPS OF TEA from one teabag AND he buys oil for her central heating once a year and will only put the heating on if it's -100degrees

It could be snowing out, his teeth could be chattering but he won't put it on. That is mean.

First off, I've had diabetes for about 13 years.

When you say "testing his diabetes", if you mean testing his blood glucose levels using a lancing device, then you're completely over reacting as you can use one lance many times, and the usual reason I change one over is because they blunt and become painful. Seriously, you can use a lance 4 times a day for a week if you like. I'm not saying that this is best practice, but it's not a big deal at all. A medical practitioner will likely say "of course you must change it every time", but in practice, this doesn't happen. I don't think I've ever met someone who does, I don't personally and I've been fine for 13 years, and a quick google will show that plenty of people don't, if not the vast majority.

The needles you use to deliver an insulin dose are a different story. I usually use them once, but in a pinch, you can use one three or four times, however they become blunt and painful very quickly, so I would recommend that be avoided. I'd say I've gotten 2 days out of one in an emergency, 7 or 8 uses.

First off, I've had diabetes for about 13 years.

When you say "testing his diabetes", if you mean testing his blood glucose levels using a lancing device, then you're completely over reacting as you can use one lance many times, and the usual reason I change one over is because they blunt and become painful. Seriously, you can use a lance 4 times a day for a week if you like. I'm not saying that this is best practice, but it's not a big deal at all. A medical practitioner will likely say "of course you must change it every time", but in practice, this doesn't happen. I don't think I've ever met someone who does, I don't personally and I've been fine for 13 years, and a quick google will show that plenty of people don't, if not the vast majority.

The needles you use to deliver an insulin dose are a different story. I usually use them once, but in a pinch, you can use one three or four times, however they become blunt and painful very quickly, so I would recommend that be avoided. I'd say I've gotten 2 days out of one in an emergency, 7 or 8 uses.

I know blunt needles are going to cause much more pain than anyone needs. Out of curiosity , and if you don't mind me asking, are you paying much for them? Personally I think the lad in that story wasn't being stingy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Discussing random stuff ruins this thread. More stories people!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

I was at a wedding of a colleague from here, again - the people in my locality have a reputation for being "tight".
    He married a Chinese bird, she has a restaurant with her family, the wedding was at the restaurant.
    The "Food" consisted of a few pieces of Sushi each - we thought they were just appetizers and waited for the main course.
    That never came, what made matters worse was one of the girls passed the kitchen and all the close family were in there munching away on noodles, meat ... etc ..

UN FÜCKING REAL !! We all spent about €70 each on his present too.

the_monkey wrote: »
    I was at a wedding of a colleague from here, again - the people in my locality have a reputation for being "tight".
    He married a Chinese bird, she has a restaurant with her family, the wedding was at the restaurant.
    The "Food" consisted of a few pieces of Sushi each - we thought they were just appetizers and waited for the main course.
    That never came, what made matters worse was one of the girls passed the kitchen and all the close family were in there munching away on noodles, meat ... etc ..

UN FÜCKING REAL !! We all spent about €70 each on his present too.

That sounds prett =y stingy.... butthen sushi is more filling than most people realise. I know i've accidentally stufffed myself on it more than once because i was enjoying it so much.

Also I was under the impression that sushi was more of a special occasion food is it possible they thought they were giving the guests the fancy stuff and making do with noodles themsleves?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

starling wrote: »
    Unless you're known as a teetotaller or you have health issues that people know about that prevent you from drinking it appears very rude to refuse to drink at a wedding

WTF?! Only in Ireland would anyone even begin to think this.

There is nothing rude about choosing not to drink alcohol in any circumstance. It IS rude, though, to pressure someone who does not want to drink alcohol to drink. Ireland is so backassward.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Hmm, some of the stories in this thread, particularly the ones about housemates have made me a bit paranoid. They made me think about a fall out I had with a few friends in uni. It would be interesting to hear what people think.

I think there was nothing worse at Uni than that guy that moved his bloody girlfriend into a shared house.

Don't want to hear you humping through the walls. Don't want to be tripping over her washed towels left everywhere. Don't want the extra mess. Don't want the extra queue for using the kitchen in the evenings. Long story short, don't want another person living in the house.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

That sounds prett =y stingy.... butthen sushi is more filling than most people realise. I know i've accidentally stufffed myself on it more than once because i was enjoying it so much.

Also I was under the impression that sushi was more of a special occasion food is it possible they thought they were giving the guests the fancy stuff and making do with noodles themsleves?

Definitely not, this was the basic maki sushi, the kind you can get here on a menu for less then €5 for about 6 pieces ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Crisp bags have lots of air to prevent the crisps getting crushed.
    I understand that, but... two thirds of the bag?

---

After work a few months age, we went out for a few drinks in the local pub as two people were leaving. There was about 15 of us, everyone had a drink, 5 or so were having 'just one' as they had other obligations and it was a week night. Some people got food, though I didn't bother as it was near (monthly) pay day, so just getting a few drinks was testing my wallet enough. Anyway, one of the guys that got food went out for a smoke after eating, just as the 5 of so were getting ready to go. We weren't around a table, so everyone that got food just paid for their stuff individually.

About an hour later, the bar girl who was all of about 17/18, comes up really nervously and asks if we knew where he was. Turns out he hadn't paid, planned ahead, and jumped out to get a lift as soon as the others were going. Left the remaining 8-10 of us to pay for his food, when almost everyone remaining had not bought anything at all because we were all stuck for cash. The alternative was to leave this poor young girl to pay for someone's food herself (kind of stingy of the pub, to be honest) - probably meaning she was working for free that night if she was on a 3-4 hour shift. This guy worked with us 40 hours a week, and his desk was literally within 20-30 feet of every single person at the table. Probably figured there would be confusion over who hadn't paid, as someone texted him about it and he initially denied it. Wasn't an accident either as he had prior form of 'accidentally' having his hands on someone else's drink on staff nights out, and (surprise, surprise!) never having any cigarette of his own, despite smoking 10-odd a day.

He hadn't banked on one thing though - that a very high up member of staff (essentially his bosses boss) had swung over to join us for a quick drink afterwards, having been stuck in work for a bit longer than the rest of us. She paid the bill, asked for a receipt and note from the staff... I wish I found out what happened in full (wasn't in for a few days after), but all I do know is that he paid it, and was extremely sheepish around the office for a good while after.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Chris Dolmeth

The only thing worse is dying intestate and leaving the family going "s/he would have left that to me" that's a sure fire recipe for disaster, I know from experience.
    Sure if someone dies intestate it's tough titties and everything goes to their next of kin automatically, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Yeah, but in fairness, if you go to two weddings within the same social circle, some people take it as insult that you wear the same thing twice.

Anyone who takes insult at that is, to be quite frank, an utter dickhead. Insulted that someone didn't shell out money they may not have on a new outfit? I re-wear outfits at weddings, perfectly good outfits that are in good nick and suit me, people can insulted at that all they wish!
    Unless you're known as a teetotaller or you have health issues that people know about that prevent you from drinking it appears very rude to refuse to drink at a wedding

Are you actually being serious here? Rude? That is a worrying attitude to have. Why is rude for a non-teetotaller not to drink one time? I don't envy people who may wish to quit drinking, or drastically cut down in this country. It really is engrained. :( And the person you're judging as "rude" MIGHT have health issues, they may just not wish to mention it. So if someone is not drinking, you often don't know why that is. And you'd judge them as rude?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Anyone who takes insult at that is, to be quite frank, an utter dickhead. Insulted that someone didn't shell out money they may not have on a new outfit? I re-wear outfits at weddings, perfectly good outfits that are in good nick and suit me, people can insulted at that all they wish!

Are you actually being serious here? Rude? That is a worrying attitude to have. Why is rude for a non-teetotaller not to drink one time? I don't envy people who may wish to quit drinking, or drastically cut down in this country. It really is engrained. :( And the person you're judging as "rude" MIGHT have health issues, they may just not wish to mention it. So if someone is not drinking, you often don't know why that is. And you'd judge them as rude?

Next thing we will hear is that the Bride and Groom get a cut of the bar profits at the wedding, and that's why it is rude not to drink at a wedding;) The non-drinkers must be cutting into the take from the wedding. How stingy of them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Sure if someone dies intestate it's tough titties and everything goes to their next of kin automatically, no?

It depends on what family is left. If there's only a spouse and no children and no siblings then it (presumably) would be pretty straightforward, but you can easily have family members try to claim from the estate because they feel entitled. I personally know of one case there the deceased's daughter tried to claim that her step-children, who had never even met their step-granny, were entitled to a share of the estate. Of course she got nothing for them in the end, but she dragged the whole thing out for so long that a significant portion of the estate was used up with legal fees.

No, I wouldn't. I'm the teetotaller.

Vojera wrote: »
    It depends on what family is left. If there's only a spouse and no children and no siblings then it (presumably) would be pretty straightforward, but you can easily have family members try to claim from the estate because they feel entitled. I personally know of one case there the deceased's daughter tried to claim that her step-children, who had never even met their step-granny, were entitled to a share of the estate. Of course she got nothing for them in the end, but she dragged the whole thing out for so long that a significant portion of the estate was used up with legal fees.

Yep. I know a woman who took a ring off her dying aunts finger (saying "you'd better let me 'mind' this for you") because the aunt never married and had no children of her own - and no will - and this one thought the ring should go to her daughter. When the daughter was little she was fascinated by the ring and the aunt would say "someday that'll be yours."

This woman was afraid that the daughter wouldn't get the ring so she took it. When the aunt died she claimed not to know anything about it. Some of the other family members were sure she'd taken it, but she wouldn't admit to it, a couple of them fell out with her. That was years ago. And they still don't speak. Over a fûcking ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

About weddings.....

Am I a stinge, a bah humbug, or couldn't be arased?...

I will ONLY accept invites to the weddings of very close family. I like my family!

On the other hand, I am always "on holidays, going away, conference at work etc." for the padders, I.e. those who want you there for the moolah pressie...

BTW when I decline an invite I send a lovely message plus 100 quid. Cheaper than going, and less boring.

No wonder you get so many invites for weddings where they only want you for the moolah pressie ..... You always decline AND drop a hundred quid in the decline card. They make way more money off you that way than if you attended the wedding!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

Yep. I know a woman who took a ring off her dying aunts finger (saying "you'd better let me 'mind' this for you") because the aunt never married and had no children of her own - and no will - and this one thought the ring should go to her daughter. When the daughter was little she was fascinated by the ring and the aunt would say "someday that'll be yours."

This woman was afraid that the daughter wouldn't get the ring so she took it. When the aunt died she claimed not to know anything about it. Some of the other family members were sure she'd taken it, but she wouldn't admit to it, a couple of them fell out with her. That was years ago. And they still don't speak. Over a fûcking ring.

How do you know what she said when she took the ring?

• Advertisement

OhHiMark wrote: »
    How do you know what she said when she took the ring?

She told me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

I wouldn't speak to her either, taking a ring off a corpse or a dying person is sick in the extreme and shows that that woman has other issues.

We had something like that here, my mother minded my granduncle for a few years before he went into the nursing home, when he went into the home he told her to take the valuable contents of the house (two grandfather clocks, lovely set of dining room furniture and two old oil lamps). After he died there was another niece who he couldn't stand and who visited him twice in the last ten years of his life, she claimed that he had promised her the furniture and lamps as "they would look better in her house than ours". Wealthy woman ahe is with a big house my mother told her in a very polite manner to fcuk off and not to darken her door again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭saltyjack silverblade

I think they don't speak because of the dishonesty and theft involved.
    Maya Angelou would say, "When a person show you who they are, believe them the first time".

• Registered Users Posts: 78,412 ✭✭✭✭Victor

She told me.
    :eek: You're dead? :eek:

Red Kev wrote: »
    I wouldn't speak to her either, taking a ring off a corpse or a dying person is sick in the extreme and shows that that woman has other issues.

We had something like that here, my mother minded my granduncle for a few years before he went into the nursing home, when he went into the home he told her to take the valuable contents of the house (two grandfather clocks, lovely set of dining room furniture and two old oil lamps). After he died there was another niece who he couldn't stand and who visited him twice in the last ten years of his life, she claimed that he had promised her the furniture and lamps as "they would look better in her house than ours". Wealthy woman ahe is with a big house my mother told her in a very polite manner to fcuk off and not to darken her door again.

Yeah, I didn't say she wasn't a fúcking horrible person, she is. But a will might have helped in that situation. Or not. The ring could still easily have "gone missing" or "been stolen by staff at the hospice" but at least sh couldn't have justified her actions with "well, she always used to tell my daughter it would go to her".
    I think they don't speak because of the dishonesty and theft involved.

Eh, yeah, obviously? And I think it's fairly obvious from my story that this woman is a total cúnt and frankly has serious issues.

But dying intestate facilitated this situation, which was my point. I'd give a clearer example of strife and upset caused by someone's unexpected and intestate death but it's a little too personal.
    Victor wrote: »
    :eek: You're dead? :eek:

I don't think so. Let me check....nope. She told me what she'd done. Like I'm not being funny but what's not clear about that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭saltyjack silverblade

Eh, yeah, obviously? And I think it's fairly obvious from my story that this woman is a total cúnt and frankly has serious issues.

But dying intestate facilitated this situation, which was my point.

Just curious as to why your family didn't go to the police over the ring? If it was part of the general estate then surely she stole from it? It seems to me that you have all the grounds for a reasonable case to go to the police. And if not why not report her to the revenue for taking taxes away from the estate? Maybe I am just particularly vicious over this sort of thing but I really hate the elderly getting abused like this.

If the woman had died with a will do you think that would have stopped the theft of the ring? I really doubt it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Remember when this thread used to be funny and not dissecting every stories for pages and pages? Pepperidge farm remembers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭HansHolzel

We wants it, we needs it. Must have the precious. They stole it from us. Sneaky little hobbitses. Wicked, tricksy, false!

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭blainj2

While on a sun holiday many years ago with a group of friends a person in the group who i no longer stay in touch with done something i will never forget.

He was your usual round dodger and general stingy person. After the week was over we were cleaning the apartment to make sure the we got the deposit back, we were just leaving when everyone noticed a white plastic bag in the stingy guys hands. He had taken all the left over toilet roll from the bathroom that everyone had bought for the week. His plan was to take it as carry on lugage on the plane. This guy lived in Galway and the flight was into Dublin so he would have to travel for several hours with the bag!!

• Advertisement

dory wrote: »
    Discussing random stuff ruins this thread. More stories people!!
    Loughc wrote: »
    Remember when this thread used to be funny and not dissecting every stories for pages and pages? Pepperidge farm remembers.

Yeh. This.

Keep the chit chat to a minimum please lads. I notice some of you getting angsty - this is a light hearted thread, let's keep it that way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement