Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

blainj2 wrote: »
    While on a sun holiday many years ago with a group of friends a person in the group who i no longer stay in touch with done something i will never forget.

He was your usual round dodger and general stingy person. After the week was over we were cleaning the apartment to make sure the we got the deposit back, we were just leaving when everyone noticed a white plastic bag in the stingy guys hands. He had taken all the left over toilet roll from the bathroom that everyone had bought for the week. His plan was to take it as carry on lugage on the plane. This guy lived in Galway and the flight was into Dublin so he would have to travel for several hours with the bag!!

Maybe thats why he needed it :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭HansHolzel

The French used to have a joke about the Belgians getting by with a single sheet of toilet paper, with a round hole in the middle, the diameter of a forefinger. :-)

HansHolzel wrote: »
    The French used to have a joke about the Belgians getting by with a single sheet of toilet paper, with a round hole in the middle, the diameter of a forefinger. :-)

I've lived with four French people over that past few years and three of them are amongst the stingiest people I have ever met. Not one of the four would buy toilet paper m, they would instead go to a take away and grab as many napkins as they could. One refused to even use toilet paper as it was a scam, instead choosing to fill milk cartons with water and use that to clean off. I was away for a few weeks earlier this summer and the day I got back there was a knock on the door. One of the French lads was there to ask if I has bought any toilet roll as there had been none in the house since I left. They had gone three weeks without buying any.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I've lived with four French people over that past few years and three of them are amongst the stingiest people I have ever met. Not one of the four would buy toilet paper m, they would instead go to a take away and grab as many napkins as they could. One refused to even use toilet paper as it was a scam, instead choosing to fill milk cartons with water and use that to clean off. I was away for a few weeks earlier this summer and the day I got back there was a knock on the door. One of the French lads was there to ask if I has bought any toilet roll as there had been none in the house since I left. They had gone three weeks without buying any.

One of my friends was renting in a 2bedroom house with another fella, tired of the other fella using his toothpaste and never buying toilet paper, my friend decided to lock away his toilet paper and see how long it went before the other guy bought some, it went over two months.... still to this day we don't know how that guy was cleaning himself after trips to the bathroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭starling

I was going to ask how their nationality was relevant since there are stories earlier on this thread about Irish people using takeaway napkins for toilet paper or stealing it from their work or college. But then I saw that line...isn't it normal for bathrooms in France to have bidets? It is actually cleaner than using toilet paper. The guy does have a point - toilet paper companies in America are really pushing moist wipes now, and they're an even bigger scam - though, I'm not disputing your judgement. He could easily be using that point to justify his stinginess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Loughc wrote: »
    One of my friends was renting in a 2bedroom house with another fella, tired of the other fella using his toothpaste and never buying toilet paper, my friend decided to lock away his toilet paper and see how long it went before the other guy bought some, it went over two months.... still to this day we don't know how that guy was cleaning himself after trips to the bathroom.

I had to do the same thing before with a friend and her boyfriend who left me buying the jacks roll all the time.

Turns out she was using cotton wool/baby wipes/serviettes from McDonalds. And he was using... his boxers.

It was at that point that I stopped checking her laundry basket if I was putting on a wash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Loughc wrote: »

Did he lock away his tootbrush aswell? :(

Reminds me when I was a teen, I was an out and out b1tch and I used to get really annoyed with my older brother coming home drunk and leaving drops on the toilet seat. I started cleaning them off with his facecloth...my logic being if it's good enough for me to sit in, it's good enough for him to wipe his face with. Gawd I was a battle axe :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Honey-ec wrote: »
    I had to do the same thing before with a friend and her boyfriend who left me buying the jacks roll all the time.

Turns out she was using cotton wool/baby wipes/serviettes from McDonalds. And he was using... his boxers.

It was at that point that I stopped checking her laundry basket if I was putting on a wash.

Ah, ffs! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Friends of mine met up abroad recently for a night in London town and told me the ordeal they had with one of the lads. When it got to his round he came back from the bar sayin the bar wouldnt take his card so could they spot him this one until they were out on the street again. Naturally this wasnt a problem.

When walkin to the next watering hole, yer man told him that his card only works at a certain atm which they later squeezed out of him that it works on all atm only he is charged a fee. His preferred atm was not seen en route and the lads ended up getting him 2 more free pints. Disaster strikes then when yer man slips and dislocated his shoulder, an injury that plagued him for years. The lads take him in an taxi to A&E, a quick checkup and back all payed for by them.

The night ruined at this stage they headed for one of the lads apartment. Yer man opts to sleep in the sitting room. Next morning one of the housemates that didn't know the group walks into the sitting room to find yer man sitting on the couch with one arm in a sling and the other furiously masterbating to MTV.

Everyone now extremely annoyed and broke from taxis and drink, yer man makes up for it buy offering to get breakfast. Minutes later he arrived back in the apartment with a bag of apples for the lads for their breakfast. They then decided to get breakfast out but yer man sat in the cafe eating his apples but didnt order. Touchin midday they decided to head for the bar for a Sunday pint to which yer man is made get the first round. Once the pint is finished he stares at the groupmember next to him and say "hey, its your round there lad!"

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Did he lock away his tootbrush aswell? :(

Reminds me when I was a teen, I was an out and out b1tch and I used to get really annoyed with my older brother coming home drunk and leaving drops on the toilet seat. I started cleaning them off with his facecloth...my logic being if it's good enough for me to sit in, it's good enough for him to wipe his face with. Gawd I was a battle axe :P

Reminds me of a bathroom scene in Horrible Bosses. It wasn't near the end. I'd turned it off at that stage. The voice of the little fella was the worst of many irritating things about it. Office Space is so much better.

At least What Happens in Vegas finally explained the problem American women have about leaving the toilet seat up, which actually would have removed your problem in the first place. They simply don't want to have to touch it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

starling wrote: »
    I was going to ask how their nationality was relevant since there are stories earlier on this thread about Irish people using takeaway napkins for toilet paper or stealing it from their work or college. But then I saw that line...isn't it normal for bathrooms in France to have bidets? It is actually cleaner than using toilet paper. The guy does have a point - toilet paper companies in America are really pushing moist wipes now, and they're an even bigger scam - though, I'm not disputing your judgement. He could easily be using that point to justify his stinginess.
    He asked the guy for toilet paper when he came back, so he was willing to use it but not pay for it and that = stingy tightwad.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The night ruined at this stage they headed for one of the lads apartment. Yer man opts to sleep in the sitting room. Next morning one of the housemates that didn't know the group walks into the sitting room to find yer man sitting on the couch with one arm in a sling and the other furiously masterbating to MTV.

Everyone now extremely annoyed and broke from taxis and drink, yer man makes up for it buy offering to get breakfast. Minutes later he arrived back in the apartment with a bag of apples for the lads for their breakfast. They then decided to get breakfast out but yer man sat in the cafe eating his apples but didnt order. Touchin midday they decided to head for the bar for a Sunday pint to which yer man is made get the first round. Once the pint is finished he stares at the groupmember next to him and say "hey, its your round there lad!"

What a w*nker!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I've lived with four French people over that past few years and three of them are amongst the stingiest people I have ever met. Not one of the four would buy toilet paper m, they would instead go to a take away and grab as many napkins as they could.
    Dundrum shopping centre do that too, the stingy b*stards.

starling wrote: »

I mentioned nationality because the post I quoted was about the French indulging the Belgians over being stingy when it comes to toilet roll. The French are by far the stingiest people I have come across when it comes to toilet paper. It got to the point that I just kept taking it in and out of the bathroom as they refused to buy it but had no problem taking the packs i bought out of the press and storing it in their rooms. It got go the stage where every time one of them used the toilet the electric shower would run for a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

Billy86 wrote: »
    I've lived with four French people over that past few years and three of them are amongst the stingiest people I have ever met. Not one of the four would buy toilet paper m, they would instead go to a take away and grab as many napkins as they could.
    Dundrum shopping centre do that too, the stingy b*stards.

Dundrum Shopping Centre stocks its bathrooms with stolen take-away napkins?! :eek:

What's stingy is that Boards.ie gives you only two blue stars under your username when you have 100 posts. :mad:

1 Blue - Reg user after 5th post
    2 Blue - Reg user after 100th post
    3 Blue - Reg user after 500th post
    4 Blue - Reg user after 10000th post
    3 White - Hmod
    4 White - Mod
    5 White - CMod
    4 Red - Subs
    5 Yellow - Admin
    5 Light Blue - Employee

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Absoluvely wrote: »
    Dundrum Shopping Centre stocks its bathrooms with stolen take-away napkins?

What's stingy is that Boards.ie gives you only two blue stars under your username when you have 100 posts.

1 Blue - Reg user after 5th post
    2 Blue - Reg user after 100th post
    3 Blue - Reg user after 500th post
    4 Blue - Reg user after 10000th post
    3 White - Hmod
    4 White - Mod
    5 White - CMod
    4 Red - Subs
    5 Yellow - Admin
    5 Light Blue - Employee

I was hoping one day I'd reach 100k and get my 5th blue star :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

Whilst in a friends kitchen as a teenager (they ran a large B&B) I asked for something out of the fridge. As I reached for its door Handel my mate said nooooooo and got out of his seat to stop me but too late I had opened it. At that split moment looking in all seemed good and normal so I just said why not to him? I looked back and twigged what was up before he shut the fridge for me.
    Inside was a large Tupperware bowl full of single serving wrappers of butter. All used! His job was to scrape each and every wrapper and to deposit said scrapings into a glass dish. It looked like there were about 50 wrappers, tight people or what!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭heretochat

I was at a party once and a renowned stingebag attempted to walk out of the house with a load of beer..

When he was challenged he said he was doing it as everyone had had enough and he was going to save it for the next party..

And it wasn't even his beer :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

time lord wrote: »
    As I reached for its door Handel my mate said nooooooo

You were mates with Handel? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

time lord wrote: »
    As I reached for its door Handel my mate

This is why commas are important.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

face1990 wrote: »
    This is why commas are important.

Commas? I think you mean spell check. He was clearly reaching for the door handle, not mates with a dude called Handel :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

You were mates with Handel? :)
    Yes Handel's Messiah and his i-pad with big index finger to tap it out on too.

'Twas a joke, but it does kind of resemble napkins - comes out one sheet at a time. Bad news if you happen to be in there after a night on the Guinness, settled by a curry. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Billy86 wrote: »
    'Twas a joke, but it does kind of resemble napkins - comes out one sheet at a time. Bad news if you happen to be in there after a night on the Guinness, settled by a curry. :pac:

I can confirm this. For a fancy shopping centre complete with Dyson hand dryers they have the worst single sheet paper ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭saltyjack silverblade

The direction of this thread has turned me off my Chinese takeaway.

NothingMan wrote: »
    I can confirm this. For a fancy shopping centre complete with Dyson hand dryers they have the worst single sheet paper ever.
    I'm guessing they think it looks 'fancier'. They didn't think of how 'fancy' it looks when half the shopping centre are walking around with brown fingers and itchy bungusses, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭In Exile

I remember a few years ago I met a girl in a nightclub on a Friday night. She was in Limerick for the weekend to graduate from Mary I. That alone should have been warning enough.

Anyway, she was staying in a hotel in the city so went back to hers on the Friday night. Went out again on the Saturday and ran into her late that night, so back to the hotel again.

Woke up on the Sunday morning thinking this was a good weekend! She says to me she has to check out because she has to head off back home, but did I want to get something to eat first. Foolishly I said yes so we head off down to check out.

The receptionist hands over the bill and your one turns around to me, in front of everyone and said "since you stayed here both nights with me, I think it's only fair you pay half the bill".

The receptionist wasn't able to hold in the laughter and I was in complete shock. Your one pushes the bill towards me with half the money in her hand.

This teacher was determined I pay for the privilege of sleeping with her a couple of nights! So, I took the bill, walked up to the receptionist who was on the verge of pissing herself, looked at the total, handed it across the counter and just said to the teacher loud enough for others to hear "sorry, you really weren't worth that much money" and walked out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

heretochat wrote: »
    I was at a party once and a renowned stingebag attempted to walk out of the house with a load of beer..

When he was challenged he said he was doing it as everyone had had enough and he was going to save it for the next party..

And it wasn't even his beer :mad:

Ah they're the worst at parties. I remember when my cousin got his PHD he had a big party. His parents got him a big bottle of champagne for it. Proper expensive stuff and he was looking forward to popping it and doling it out to everybody. This cunt, who'd be well known for being a tight wad, shows up at the party with a cheap bottle of wine. A while later and Patrick catches the **** chugging his champagne from the bottle. He claimed somebody had stole his wine so he had nothing else to drink. And the house full of booze that Patrick was giving away. That was the last straw with that fucker (he had previously went to Patrick's brother's stag night and disappeared with the kitty for the drinks) and Patrick dragged him out of the house and gave him a hiding.
    How do these people ever show their face again. If I was caught at something like that I'd be mortified. I'd have to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭heretochat

Ah they're the worst at parties. I remember when my cousin got his PHD he had a big party. His parents got him a big bottle of champagne for it. Proper expensive stuff and he was looking forward to popping it and doling it out to everybody. This cunt, who'd be well known for being a tight wad, shows up at the party with a cheap bottle of wine. A while later and Patrick catches the **** chugging his champagne from the bottle. He claimed somebody had stole his wine so he had nothing else to drink. And the house full of booze that Patrick was giving away. That was the last straw with that fucker (he had previously went to Patrick's brother's stag night and disappeared with the kitty for the drinks) and Patrick dragged him out of the house and gave him a hiding.
    How do these people ever show their face again. If I was caught at something like that I'd be mortified. I'd have to move.

What I didn't mention was that the fool tried to take the beer belonging to the worst person in the house he could have done that to. Wasn't pretty what happened next :p

• Advertisement

... and Patrick dragged him out of the house and gave him a hiding.

I'm not one to condone violence. Sometimes, I even cheer it. :-)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement