Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur.

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Sorry but you don't come across well in this story at all. Fair enough she could have said to you in private about splitting the bill but surely you would have expected to pay something? You stayed there and had breakfast. She wasn't trying to get you to pay the whole bill and to be honest, if I crashed in someone's hotel room, I would at least offer to pay half the cost before we reached checkout. You're comment at the end was really uncalled for.

Nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

Is this the biggest thread on boards with over 8,000??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

In Exile wrote: »
    I remember a few years ago I met a girl in a nightclub on a Friday night. She was in Limerick for the weekend to graduate from Mary I. That alone should have been warning enough.

Anyway, she was staying in a hotel in the city so went back to hers on the Friday night. Went out again on the Saturday and ran into her late that night, so back to the hotel again.

Woke up on the Sunday morning thinking this was a good weekend! She says to me she has to check out because she has to head off back home, but did I want to get something to eat first. Foolishly I said yes so we head off down to check out.

The receptionist hands over the bill and your one turns around to me, in front of everyone and said "since you stayed here both nights with me, I think it's only fair you pay half the bill".

The receptionist wasn't able to hold in the laughter and I was in complete shock. Your one pushes the bill towards me with half the money in her hand.

This teacher was determined I pay for the privilege of sleeping with her a couple of nights! So, I took the bill, walked up to the receptionist who was on the verge of pissing herself, looked at the total, handed it across the counter and just said to the teacher loud enough for others to hear "sorry, you really weren't worth that much money" and walked out

Did you ever think that if you were better in bed she might have paid the bill :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Dtp79 wrote: »

threads get automatically closed at 10,000, so it may be one of the biggest still going.

the soccer forum has threads reaching that limit every other week though...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I'm appalled by the amount of stories about people being stingy with toilet paper. Of all things to go cheap on, toilet paper should not be one of them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

One of my friends should be crowned miss stingy. She uses people for lifts places, and doesn't think it's appropriate to offer people petrol money because "sure they offered" after some serious hint dropping. I've wised up to her needing free lifts so don't go out of my way to bring her places anymore, however, we were all going out last week, and invited her out. I said she could stay in mine because she lived about 40 mins away, I share a house so she would be in my bed as there's no spare rooms. After I offered her a place to stay she text to ask if her friend (that I don't really know) could stay too. I had no room so said no.

The evening before we were going out she was texting me all excited about the girls night out, saying how she needed a new outfit. The day we were due to go out she had posted up photos of cocktails she was drinking in the local hotel, with her friend that she wanted to ask over to my house. Then she text me saying how she really wanted to come over that night but "had no lift" and didn't think she'd be able to come. I know she wanted me to go over and collect her, but I told her to get the bus and let me know what time she was coming over at.

She came over (her father dropped her over) with a bottle of wine for pre drinking, and announced that it would be a quiet night for her as she only had twenty euro. Me and my other friend went halves on a taxi into town, and ms stingy didn't offer her share. After the pub and nightclub, we went to get food. My stingy friend asked me if I'd pay for her food and she would get me back the next day when she went home. I said ok. She ordered a HEAP of food, a 14inch pizza (that she said we would split) curry cheese chips and a portion of chicken dippers with a drink. Her and the guy she was with mowed into the pizza and she assured me I would get the money the next day. Then she called me aside and asked me if it was ok if she brought "Scott" home (to my house/bed!) cause she really liked him. I told her unless she was planning on riding him in the garden cause there was no way they were doin the nasty in my bed and I wasnt about to sleep on the couch in my own house.

So, me and her got a taxi back to mine. It was ten euro so I paid five and said to the driver that she would give him the other five. She complained that she had no money left at all after taxi.

The next morning she asked me to get her a bottle of lucozade while I was at the shop, which I did, and then when we went for Sunday dinner with the girls, and she thought nobody was looking, she paid for hers with a 20 euro note. When she sat down with us she announced to the entire table that she could only afford the half portion and that was her wallet wiped out completely.

After dinner we went to get a muffin and icecream, which she asked me to pay for and she would give it back to me when we got home, and like an eejit I did.

Brought her home that night, she jumped outta the car (and was in such a hurry left her going out shoes behind her) and never mentioned the money she owed me, so I asked her on Facebook for it, saying I must get it off her this week. She replied "oh yeah, tenner wasnt it?"

I'm the bigger fool for giving it to her but lesson learned for next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Indeed you are, the only solution is everything she is out with you ask her for the money, every penny, until she has paid you back every penny don't stop asking, she'll either stop coming out, which will get you off of any future sponging or she'll pay up, if she's as you describe she'll probably stop coming out.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

How many times have you said that though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

You just can't lend money to people like that though. Even if it makes you feel like the bad guy, you just can't go round giving it to her, it just makes you seem like a pushover, as well as the actual cost.

I have a friend who owes me 1300 euro, owed me it for going on 6 months, haven't seen a penny of it. I haven't stopped trying to get it per say, but what I've learn is to only lend money to people I know are gonna get it back to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

osarusan wrote: »
    How many times have you said that though?

This is the first time she's really showed herself up. Usually she'll bring 20 out but lads buy her drinks all night so she doesn't have to spend anything and I wouldn't see her the next day or even be with her when she's buying food. Ill know for next time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Brought her home that night, she jumped outta the car (and was in such a hurry left her going out shoes behind her) and never mentioned the money she owed me, so I asked her on Facebook for it, saying I must get it off her this week. She replied "oh yeah, tenner wasnt it?"

Right here you should put your foot down and tell her what she owes you, €30, €40 or whatever, if she complains then just tell her what was paid by you and what she owes, if she calls you a stinge for doing so then drop them saying you can't afford to pay for their nights out, especially when they have the cash in their pockets all along. People like her are leeches and will permanently bleed people like you dry, then move onto the next person.

You shouldn't consider people like her to be "friends" either, because they cartainly are not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Dtp79 wrote: »
    to the best of my knowledge the original Liverpool super thread is the biggest thread ever with 57000 posts.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055955594

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

Remind her on facebook exactly how much it was so everyone can see her trying to get out of paying what she owes and don't give her her shoes back until she gives you the money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

One of my friends should be crowned miss stingy. She uses people for lifts places, and doesn't think it's appropriate to offer people petrol money because "sure they offered" after some serious hint dropping. I've wised up to her needing free lifts so don't go out of my way to bring her places anymore, however, we were all going out last week, and invited her out. I said she could stay in mine because she lived about 40 mins away, I share a house so she would be in my bed as there's no spare rooms. After I offered her a place to stay she text to ask if her friend (that I don't really know) could stay too. I had no room so said no.

The evening before we were going out she was texting me all excited about the girls night out, saying how she needed a new outfit. The day we were due to go out she had posted up photos of cocktails she was drinking in the local hotel, with her friend that she wanted to ask over to my house. Then she text me saying how she really wanted to come over that night but "had no lift" and didn't think she'd be able to come. I know she wanted me to go over and collect her, but I told her to get the bus and let me know what time she was coming over at.

She came over (her father dropped her over) with a bottle of wine for pre drinking, and announced that it would be a quiet night for her as she only had twenty euro. Me and my other friend went halves on a taxi into town, and ms stingy didn't offer her share. After the pub and nightclub, we went to get food. My stingy friend asked me if I'd pay for her food and she would get me back the next day when she went home. I said ok. She ordered a HEAP of food, a 14inch pizza (that she said we would split) curry cheese chips and a portion of chicken dippers with a drink. Her and the guy she was with mowed into the pizza and she assured me I would get the money the next day. Then she called me aside and asked me if it was ok if she brought "Scott" home (to my house/bed!) cause she really liked him. I told her unless she was planning on riding him in the garden cause there was no way they were doin the nasty in my bed and I wasnt about to sleep on the couch in my own house.

So, me and her got a taxi back to mine. It was ten euro so I paid five and said to the driver that she would give him the other five. She complained that she had no money left at all after taxi.

The next morning she asked me to get her a bottle of lucozade while I was at the shop, which I did, and then when we went for Sunday dinner with the girls, and she thought nobody was looking, she paid for hers with a 20 euro note. When she sat down with us she announced to the entire table that she could only afford the half portion and that was her wallet wiped out completely.

After dinner we went to get a muffin and icecream, which she asked me to pay for and she would give it back to me when we got home, and like an eejit I did.

You're an eejit is what you are in all fairness. I absolute hate people who take advantage of others. But what actually pisses me off more, is people who know they are being taken advantage of, but choose not to make a confrontation about it. You probably gave her the guts of 50 quid. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Rubbish. If I was ever lucky enough to bring a girl back to my hotel room damn sure I wouldn't have the barefaced cheek to then ask her to split the bill.

Anyway, if he had paid, would that make her a prostitute?
    I don't doubt that she had a cheek but I do doubt that the story happened quite this way. Hotels charge per person, not per room. If you sneak someone into your room for two nights, unless you want to pay for them you sneak them out again. Why would someone who was not supposed to be in the room be at check out and risk getting caught? It would be more believable if he had said their exchange happened in the room.

If she paid for him, does that make him the prostutite? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭heretochat

Many hotels charge on a per room basis... so wouldn't matter how many people are in the room. Generally no breakfast included in such rates but the rates are there none the less..

heretochat wrote: »
    Many hotels charge on a per room basis... so wouldn't matter how many people are in the room. Generally no breakfast included in such rates but the rates are there none the less..
    It's common for hotels to charge for breakfast - part of their "we only charge you for what you want" pr campaign. I just don't believe this story. Not all hotels charge per room and if you have the intelligence to be as witty as (can't remember his name) then surely you would have the intelligence to ask the person you are crashing with before you head down to reception whether or not you need to sneak out?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I used to date a guy that made me give him petrol money when he came to pick me up for dates or nights out at the weekends. Feel like such an idiot every time I think of it! His thing was that he was very low on petrol come Friday since he got his dole on a Monday, and that he wouldn't even make it as far as my house on the petrol he had left, so if I wanted the lift out to his I should pay my own way :p

For my birthday, he gave me the Chronicles of Narnia - a stunning set in a really intricate box (I had been going on about them for ages) and I was totally overwhelmed that he had gotten them. Until I found out that his younger sister had put the set in the recycling bin while gutting her room before she moved to Australia :D Now, if he had given them to me at some other stage and just told me honestly they were being dumped but he knew I wanted them, I would have been delighted - but he actually pretended he had bought them!

I think the highlight was the absolutely stunning River Island dress he bought for me to wear to a wedding in his family. He said he was actually after giving his older sister a lift up and went in to get himself a pair of trousers, but saw this dress and thought it would look great on me - told me the lady behind the counter recommended a 10 (which was my size) because of the material. Turns out he actually bought the dress off Ebay for a high-maintenance girl he was sleeping with behind my back, but she was a size 14 and it didn't fit her :p Needless to say he was dumped after that!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I used to date a guy that made me give him petrol money when he came to pick me up for dates or nights out at the weekends. Feel like such an idiot every time I think of it! His thing was that he was very low on petrol come Friday since he got his dole on a Monday, and that he wouldn't even make it as far as my house on the petrol he had left, so if I wanted the lift out to his I should pay my own way :p

For my birthday, he gave me the Chronicles of Narnia - a stunning set in a really intricate box (I had been going on about them for ages) and I was totally overwhelmed that he had gotten them. Until I found out that his younger sister had put the set in the recycling bin while gutting her room before she moved to Australia :D Now, if he had given them to me at some other stage and just told me honestly they were being dumped but he knew I wanted them, I would have been delighted - but he actually pretended he had bought them!

I think the highlight was the absolutely stunning River Island dress he bought for me to wear to a wedding in his family. He said he was actually after giving his older sister a lift up and went in to get himself a pair of trousers, but saw this dress and thought it would look great on me - told me the lady behind the counter recommended a 10 (which was my size) because of the material. Turns out he actually bought the dress off Ebay for a high-maintenance girl he was sleeping with behind my back, but she was a size 14 and it didn't fit her :p Needless to say he was dumped after that!

Wow...no words for that sort of stinge... Treat a lady right I say ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

....I'm the bigger fool for giving it to her but lesson learned for next time.

God, this must be one of the "thread winners"!

I used to be of the opinion that some people are forgetful, or maybe a little naive, or don't have much money but are too proud to admit it. But then there are cases like these where someone has money yet refuse outright to spend it.

I'd either have a very frank conversation with her, or cut her loose. You won't get that ~50 euros back, but it'd be money well spent!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Wow...no words for that sort of stinge... Treat a lady right I say ;)

I put up with it for almost a year, think hat might make me worse :P

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭username_x

Seen a lad at an ATM who walked off leaving the 50 euro he'd withdrawn from the bank in the machine. Man behind him shouted out and tried to hand him the 20 he'd just taken out of his wallet.

Actually, not stingy, just utter cheek.

Another one that gets me is people who order food from a deli then walk around the shop eating it and walk out the door without paying. The joys of retail..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

username_x wrote: »
    Seen a lad at an ATM who walked off leaving the 50 euro he'd withdrawn from the bank in the machine. Man behind him shouted out and tried to hand him the 20 he'd just taken out of his wallet.

Actually, not stingy, just utter cheek.

Another one that gets me is people who order food from a deli then walk around the shop eating it and walk out the door without paying. The joys of retail..

id love to catch someone at that if i was the boss

username_x wrote: »

Or the ones who are just "sampling" the grapes or eating a bag of crisps while drinking a can of coke and "forget" to put them through at the till :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    It's common for hotels to charge for breakfast - part of their "we only charge you for what you want" pr campaign. I just don't believe this story. Not all hotels charge per room and if you have the intelligence to be as witty as (can't remember his name) then surely you would have the intelligence to ask the person you are crashing with before you head down to reception whether or not you need to sneak out?

You aren't stingy on scepticism anyway :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

I'm stunned at how mean some people are from reading some of these posts. Jesus, there are some horror stories in here.

F**king toilet roll, scrounging from your friends when you have money. Wow.

Oh actually have a classic I completely forgot about. My work was doing a collection for someone leaving. Usual stuff, fella wasn't very popular but wasn't a bad sort either. Anyway, the first two people put in a fiver each. Comes to the third person and she puts in a €10 voucher for a bookshop....and takes out €5 change that one of the others put in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

DeanAustin wrote: »

Oh actually have a classic I completely forgot about. My work was doing a collection for someone leaving. Usual stuff, fella wasn't very popular but wasn't a bad sort either. Anyway, the first two people put in a fiver each. Comes to the third person and she puts in a €10 voucher for a bookshop....and takes out €5 change that one of the others put in.

Class.

That reminds me of the Sheriff of Nottingham bouncing out the coins from the beggars cup in Disneys Robin Hood.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Class.

That reminds me of the Sheriff of Nottingham bouncing out the coins from the beggars cup in Disneys Robin Hood.

Gone are the good old days of metal begging cups eh!! Try bouncing a coin of the bottom of a dirty worn out paper pepsi cup and it goes straight through the bottom, no return!!

When did beggars get so stingy with their begging receptacles eh??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭HansHolzel

Group stinge:

Small workplace (Dublin, of course). Male boss, two young women, half a dozen young men on staff. One of the women is leaving so her female colleague passes around an envelope for a collection. Only the boss and the female colleague put something into it. The rest ignore it. The boss, as per tradition, has to stand a goodbye breakfast - to the whole staff. Female colleague predictably tells boss that the goodbye girl would rather not have this breakfast thing going on at all, after the crack with the envelope. Boss says he has to do it, even through gritted teeth. Worst moment at breakfast then came when one of the dirty half dozen had the cheek to add to his breakfast order. "Ah, I think I'll have a Danish as well."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

HansHolzel wrote: »
    Group stinge:

Small workplace (Dublin, of course). Male boss, two young women, half a dozen young men on staff. One of the women is leaving so her female colleague passes around an envelope for a collection. Only the boss and the female colleague put something into it. The rest ignore it. The boss, as per tradition, has to stand a goodbye breakfast - to the whole staff. Female colleague predictably tells boss that the goodbye girl would rather not have this breakfast thing going on at all, after the crack with the envelope. Boss says he has to do it, even through gritted teeth. Worst moment at breakfast then came when one of the dirty half dozen had the cheek to add to his breakfast order. "Ah, I think I'll have a Danish as well."

Working in an office it can be painful with collections every other week for something or other. blah blahs sister had a baby, who gives a fuck!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement